Router wifi problems

mr_burnzz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My apartment periodically screws the electricity up sometimes so everything shuts off and turns on again. So my wifi gets all screwed up. I tried unplugging the router and putting it back in but no go. I can see the wifi name but it won't connect. The only fix is to plug the ethernet cable to the laptop and go to default making me start all over. Pretty annoying and time consuming. Is there an easier fix? Is there a router, modem, router modem combo I can buy that will make it easier or prevent it? I will pay almost anything if I don't have to screw around with all that and typing in 192.168.1.1. I fucking hate those numbers! It's a frickin pain in the ass when I come home with no wifi and gotta do some work. It's probably happened like 8 times in the past year.

you're right. 8 times a year doesn't sound too bad. I think it's happened 8 times within a few months actually. Maybe half a year? Anyways, any solutions to this would be greatly appreciated.

[quote name='elessar123']Buy APCs?[/QUOTE]

Bingo. A UPS (my brand preference is APC) would be able to keep it and other stuff powered for roughly 30 minutes after a power outage depending on the load of the items. Otherwise there's not much else that can be done other than making a backup of the router settings so every time you revert back to default, you re-load the settings with that backup.

just remember for the pc you need to make sure it has enough watts to run the Powersuppy. a cheap ups is great for stuff like xboxes and tv's tho. i actually lost 2 game saves on my ps3 that way and after that i always plug em into a ups. :)

I'll soapbox for a second. Ask any person with network knowledge and wireless is all about convenience. Want a reliable connection, jack in.

Okay, let's identify the what the problem seems to be: the router loses (keeps losing) its configuration. Seems to occur when the power is cycled.

Recommendations:
1. Backup your config when finished setting it up and use that to restore each time you have a failure. You should be doing this regardless.
2. Now that you've backed it up, unplug the router for 3-4 minutes.
3. Power it back on. Do you have to restore the configuration? If so I would get a different router as it has issues. If not, then my guess is that the power is not just going off and on, but in a repeated cycle and probably close enough together to cause the router to reset. Another router may help, then again another one may not.

How old is the current router? If age is a factor (i.e >2-3 years old) you may want to consider a new one anyway.

PM me if you have more questions. I'll try to follow here but cannot guarantee it.

Other than that and possibly an UPS for the router, there is not much else to do. The problem isn't that you are not getting a signal, it is that your configuration keeps getting lost/corrupted.

My router is an ancient linksys from a decade ago. lol. I will look into the ups thing but I hope the price isn't too bad. Other methods seem like it would take some work, similar to what I am already doing. I am a lazy man. Thanks guys.

[quote name='mr_burnzz']My router is an ancient linksys from a decade ago. lol. I will look into the ups thing but I hope the price isn't too bad. Other methods seem like it would take some work, similar to what I am already doing. I am a lazy man. Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck. Because purchasing a new one and setting it up once and backing it up is more work than redoing it every time you have a power outage?

This is the reason I stopped helping my family and friends with computer issues.

bread's done
Back