RPG a la Fable?

LaJew27

CAG Veteran
Hey, I'm not new here, but I very rarely post. I have a question for some you guys. I was wondering if any of you knew if there was an action RPG coming out for PS2 anytime soon that is sort've like Fable. I know that Champions: Return to Arm's comes out next spring, but thats not the kind of game I'm looking for. Anyone have any idea?

Fable is in a class of its own, hopefully someone wont suggest a Final Fantasy(becoming one of the worst RPG series FAST!)

Yea, I just played it at a friends house. I haven't played an action RPG as addicting or as fun as that since Ocarina of Time for N64. I was even debating buying an Xbox and selling the PS2 since it seems like all the great games are coming out for it. I did just buy Star Wars: Battlefronts for PS2 and thats really fun... Again, I hear that's better on Xbox

As weird as this sounds, the closest thing I can think of is Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. It's basically a port of the awesome PC game. It's disguised as a first-person shooter, but you can do basically whatever you want. Should be very cheap on PS2, but the PC version is better.

Although it's too early to tell how the game will pan out, A Bard's Tale would probably be a title worth a look if you really enjoy this genre.

Good luck finding one. Fable is a PC/American RPG (think Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, KOTOR), which you won't find on the PS2. The PS2 has console/Japanese RPGs (Final Fantasy, Xenogears/Xenosaga, etc.)

Some have suggested the Summoner games as being somewhat similar to Fable. I haven't played either of them, so I can't confirm or deny that suggestion myself.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Although it's too early to tell how the game will pan out, A Bard's Tale would probably be a title worth a look if you really enjoy this genre.[/quote]

A Bard's Tale uses the Snowblind engine.. its going to be another Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath/Xmen Legends.. not Fable-ish. And Summoner 1 or 2 is nothing like Fable...

Fable is pretty much in a class by itself. Unless you get into PC gaming (even then nothings the same, just closer).

Fable is pretty much in a class by itself. Unless you get into PC gaming (even then nothings the same, just closer).

Exactly, Fable is closer to PC rpgs but still not as good.

I wish they could port it to PS2 hah. Same thing with Zelda. I know there are tons of games like it for PC, but my PC is no where near gaming quality haha.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Although it's too early to tell how the game will pan out, A Bard's Tale would probably be a title worth a look if you really enjoy this genre.[/quote]

A Bard's Tale uses the Snowblind engine.. its going to be another Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norrath/Xmen Legends.. not Fable-ish. And Summoner 1 or 2 is nothing like Fable...

Fable is pretty much in a class by itself. Unless you get into PC gaming (even then nothings the same, just closer).[/quote]

Agreed it's certainly in a class by itself concerning character development, story, etc. I was speaking from an Action RPGs in general, hence me saying this genre. But yeah Fable doesn't really fit tightly into any kind of existing genre.

I wouldn't say in a class of it's own... It's sort've along the lines of an action/adventure game with an RPG thrown in. There have been other games like it, such as the Dark Cloud games, but this one really is a step above all of them.

[quote name='LaJew27']I wouldn't say in a class of it's own... It's sort've along the lines of an action/adventure game with an RPG thrown in. There have been other games like it, such as the Dark Cloud games, but this one really is a step above all of them.[/quote]

Oh yeah, Dark Cloud 2! That's probably the closest.

By the way, both Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne are rockin'. We'll see which one becomes the best PS2 RPG this year, or if Suikoden 4 will take the title.

all the good games are coming out on Xbox? are you on crack? Halo and KOTOR...and now Fable, with Jade Empire in the future. That's a good lineup, but that's about all Xbox has. Dont sell your PS2 for one game on the Xbox. I still dont know why Xbox has done so well seeing how the PS2 library surpasses the suxbox in almost every genre tenfold.

Even industry experts are saying that the Xbox will have no big launches after Halo 2 for a long time. And before Halo 2? Well, look here's fable. PS2 will still be on top because they have a ton of great games coming out with literally no lull in big releases between months.

[quote name='Kelegacy']all the good games are coming out on Xbox? are you on crack? Halo and KOTOR...and now Fable, with Jade Empire in the future. That's a good lineup, but that's about all Xbox has. Dont sell your PS2 for one game on the Xbox. I still dont know why Xbox has done so well seeing how the PS2 library surpasses the suxbox in almost every genre tenfold.

Even industry experts are saying that the Xbox will have no big launches after Halo 2 for a long time. And before Halo 2? Well, look here's fable. PS2 will still be on top because they have a ton of great games coming out with literally no lull in big releases between months.[/quote]

Spoken like a true fanboy, not only that but you even managed to contradict yourself. Also, what industry experts are saying that? Granted Halo 2 is so big that nothing to follow will be as big, but then again no game on any system will be as big for this generation (maybe the next Zelda, maybe...).

bread's done
Back