RPG advice

roedaniel19

CAGiversary!
Looking for any overlooked/underappreciated current-gen rpgs. Also, I never played any rpgs on the psone, is it difficult to go back to those? I downloaded suikoden from the ps store and loved it, but it doesnt have the crappy 3d graphics from back then that aged terribly. Thanks for any suggestions.

Depends on what kind of RPG you're looking for. You mentioned Suikoden; are you looking at JRPGs? If so, Xenogears and Chrono Trigger are great, and aged quite well.

tales of graces f is pretty good. theres lots of jrpgs on ps3. Hyperdimension mk2, valkryia chronicles and lots more. Alpha Protocol is only $8 if u like action shooter/rpgs or spy stuff. Theres also Odin Sphere and Persona 3 on the psn store

[quote name='snakemaster2389']tales of graces f is pretty good. theres lots of jrpgs on ps3. Hyperdimension mk2, valkryia chronicles and lots more. Alpha Protocol is only $8 if u like action shooter/rpgs or spy stuff. Theres also Odin Sphere and Persona 3 on the psn store[/QUOTE]
How is Hyperdimension? The reviews are bad, but I dont always trust them.

[quote name='roedaniel19']How is Hyperdimension? The reviews are bad, but I dont always trust them.[/QUOTE]

not sure really, only played a bit of it. its really weird and its kinda a low budget game so if u like wierd, strange things maybe go for it idk. The one I played was the newer one not the first one. Theres also Trinity: Souls of Zai'll? i think it looks ok but haven't played it yet.

Suikoden II is one of my all-time favorites, but of course it is notoriously hard to find and Konami for some reason that continues to baffle me will not put it on the PSN. Also if you've managed to avoid Final Fantasy Tactics it's available for pretty much everything these days. It holds up extremely well.

A current-gen RPG that *could* become overlooked but isn't out yet is Rainbow Moon. Coming to the PSN in a few weeks for $15, it's getting very good early buzz. A full-length JRPG-style RPG for $15 is a no-brainer for me. :)

I second Odin Sphere and Persona 3 (and 4 if you can). I loved Odin Sphere for the PS2, and Persona 4 became my favorite game of all time (and P3 was what got me into Persona in the first place). Some warnings about those games though: I'm not sure how the PSN version Odin Sphere is, but Odin Sphere on the PS2 had lots of slow-down when too many things were happening at once (particularly, during some boss battles). P3 and P4 have great mechanics with the Social Link feature, but it's a bit heavy on the dungeon crawling.

I would also recommend Final Fantasy Tactics, Breath of Fire IV (I loved the BoF series since I've grown up with them, but you may or may not like them), and Chrono Trigger (all-time favorite before P4). I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

[quote name='argyle']A current-gen RPG that *could* become overlooked but isn't out yet is Rainbow Moon. Coming to the PSN in a few weeks for $15, it's getting very good early buzz. A full-length JRPG-style RPG for $15 is a no-brainer for me. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm excited for this as well, looks like a great game (and PS+ subscribers get it for $12).

It should be noted that it's an SRPG, though. Similar in ways, but very different from a traditional JRPG. More of a turn-based strategy game with JRPG elements.

you'd like xenogears it really did age well i like to play it on my psp!
resonance of fate is difficult and crazy weird alot of strategy. check out parasite eve series

The Atelier series is quite good, Tales of games are always really good but occasionally overlooked. Nier is supposed to be a really good RPG.

If you like strategy RPGs then the Disgaea series is really good. Also I personally really like the record of Agarest War games and the 3rd game just came out this week.

I'm an RPG fanatic, so I'm just going to list some of my favorite current gen ones on PS3 that you could play. Also, PS1 is among the golden era of RPGs, so yes, by all means go back and play them all!!!

Tales of Graces F - Not quite as good as Tales of Vesperia, but the battle system is better, and it is still a fantastic game. The Tales of games have a strong focus on character development, and excel at that aspect of story telling above all else. They usually start with 100% cliched anime tropes, and then proceed to develop and evolve them through the whole story. This leaves you feeling like you have a completely different cast than you did at the beginning. There is also an enormous amount of content. I just wrapped up my 100% perect file on this at 220 hours, if that gives you any idea. :3

Star Ocean The Last Hope International - It has some translation and VA hiccups, but it is actually a fantastic game. The visuals are very pleasing, it has a great score, and the battle system is just so good!

NIER - This is a criminally overlooked game. The music is haunting and extremely unique. The story is also extremely unique and is something that will really stick with you. This is honestly one of the best RPGs this generation. If more people would give it a chance, it might finally start to be recognized a such.

Disgaea 4 - If you have even a passing interest in Strategy RPGs this game will appeal to you. There is a ridiculous amount of content offered. The translation is also top notch. These games don't have very serious stories, but what they do offer is very enjoyable.

Resonance of Fate - This game has an awesome Steam Punk style, and one of the most unique and difficult battle systems you will ever encounter. Your enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not you put in enough time to fully understand the battle system. If you do, it will be a great experience!

Last, but certainly not least:
Valkyria Chronicles - One of the best RPGs this generation. This is a strategy RPG, but is completely unlike all the grid based pseudo RTS offerings we are so used to. There is not a single part of this game that isn't oozing in charm and polish. It can be picked up relatively cheap, too. Of the whole list this stands out as a true no brainer for all RPG fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zaku77']I'm an RPG fanatic, so I'm just going to list some of my favorite current gen ones on PS3 that you could play. Also, PS1 is among the golden era of RPGs, so yes, by all means go back and play them all!!!

Tales of Graces F - Not quite as good as Tales of Vesperia, but the battle system is better, and it is still a fantastic game. The Tales of games have a strong focus on character development, and excel at that aspect of story telling above all esle. They usually start with 100% cliched anime tropes, and then proceed to develop and evolve them through the whole story. This leaves you feeling like you have a completely different cast than you did at the beginning. There is also an enormous amount of content. I jsut wrapped up my 100% perect file on this at 220 hours, if that gives you any idea. :3

Star Ocean The Last Hope International - It has some translation and VA hiccups, but it is actually a fantastic game. The visuals are very pleasing, it has a great score, and the battle system is just so good!

NIER - This is a criminally overlooked game. The music is haunting and extremely unique. The story is also extremely unique and is something that will really stick with you. This is honestly one of the best RPGs this generation. If more people would give it a chance, it might finally start to be recognized a such.

Disgaea 4 - If you have even a passing interest in Strategy RPGs this game will appeal to you. There is a ridiculous amount of content offered. The translation is also top notch. These games don't have very serious stories, but what they do offer is very enjoyable.

Resonance of Fate - This game has an awesome Steam Punk style, and one of the most unique and difficult battle systems you will ever encounter. You're enjoyment of it will depend on whether or not you put in enough time to fully understand the battle system. If you do, it will be a great experience!

Last, but certainly not least:
Valkyria Chronicles - One of the best RPGs this generation. This is a strategy RPG, but is completely unlike all the grid based pseudo RTS offerings we are so used to. There is not a single part of this game that isn't oozing in charm and polish. It can be picked up relatively cheap, too. Of the whole list this stands out as a true no brainer for all RPG fans.[/QUOTE]
I am very interested in the tales series, is there an english version of vesperia for the ps3?

There isn't unfortunately. If you are interested in the series, though, you should go grab Graces F. I did mention that it's not as good, but Vesperia sets a very high bar. It's still fantastic. It also has the best battle system the Tales series has ever had, so actually much better in that regard.

Also, for my two cents, skip FFXIII until you have explored some of the other things that the system has to offer. They are interesting in their own right, but also so flawed and underwhelming. As is true with most things, you will find the truly memorable and best experiences if you dig below the surface of what the pop crowd likes. There are many RPGs as good and better than FF, (especially now) there are many better metal bands than Metallica, Beethoven and Mozart weren't the only composers that ever existed, etc, etc. lol

[quote name='roedaniel19']I am very interested in the tales series, is there an english version of vesperia for the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Nope

[quote name='bigpimpin24']Final Fantasy XIII[/QUOTE]

Beware.. feelings on this game are very mixed (and largely negative among fans of the previous games of the series).

I've never looked forward to a game as much as I did Final Fantasy XIII, and I've never been disappointed by a game as much as I was by Final Fantasy XIII. After 8 hours of a game whose combat system's ideal strategy is to press the Auto (triangle) button (and where doing anything manually results in nothing but wasting your time), I gave up and haven't played it since.

[quote name='Josh1billion']Beware.. feelings on this game are very mixed (and largely negative among fans of the previous games of the series).

I've never looked forward to a game as much as I did Final Fantasy XIII, and I've never been disappointed by a game as much as I was by Final Fantasy XIII. After 8 hours of a game whose combat system's ideal strategy is to press the Auto (triangle) button (and where doing anything manually results in nothing but wasting your time), I gave up and haven't played it since.[/QUOTE]

I can see where you're coming from but more towards the middle/end of the game the battles really toughen up. I believe they did that for people to get accustomed to the battle system itself because it is actually pretty intricate later on. The spamming Auto will usually get you by about 75% of the time but sometimes it's not perfect.

I figured I'd throw them both in here since he asked for under appreciated Which it really is. I myself was almost scared away by all of the negativity surrounding the first one. Boy am I glad I gave it a chance. Extremely enjoyable for me and I'm really looking forward to XIII-3

[quote name='Josh1billion']Beware.. feelings on this game are very mixed (and largely negative among fans of the previous games of the series).

I've never looked forward to a game as much as I did Final Fantasy XIII, and I've never been disappointed by a game as much as I was by Final Fantasy XIII. After 8 hours of a game whose combat system's ideal strategy is to press the Auto (triangle) button (and where doing anything manually results in nothing but wasting your time), I gave up and haven't played it since.[/QUOTE]

The first hours of any FF are press X to win. I think FFIX went as long as 15 hours like that.

FFXIII is fantastic, and actually resides on the more difficult end of the JRPG genre. By comparison, it's more concerned with reaction times than anything else, so yes, you do press a fewer variety of buttons. It's not for everyone -- you're correct -- but it's too cheap not to at least try a game that polished. I'd also vouch for Nier and Valkyria.

A caution sign is more appropriate for games like Resonance of Fate, or perhaps Star Ocean 4.

I agree with FFXIII and FFXIII-2 being very underrated. I'll throw out a couple that haven't been mentioned -- some might not be great, but I think they're better than a lot of people give them credit for. I'll assume, like other people ITT, that you're talking mainly about JRPGs:

Ar Tonelico Qoqa -- A little forgettable (maybe because I blew threw it as fast as I could), but still a solid RPG. Can also check out Ar Tonelico II; it was released very late in the PS2 lifecycle, so it doesn't have as much age as other PS2 games might.

Xenoblade Chronicles -- One of the best JRPGs on the Wii. Can get a little bit "item-fetchy" at times if you're trying to do all the sidequests, but other than that, not much bad to say about it.

The Last Story -- Think it's only been released in Europe, with a US release coming soon. Never played it, but is supposed to be good.

Monster Hunter Tri -- Not everyone's cup of tea, but if it is your cup of tea, it's a very delicious cup.

The Last Remnant -- Only played the PC port. It's along the same vein as Xenoblade Chronicles, IMO (though it's been quite a while, so my memory might be fuzzy)

White Knight Chronicles 1+2 -- Have to finish 1 before you can play 2, but 2 includes 1 (and adds some features from 2 to 1). Sort of a hybrid between a offline JRPG and an online MMO. Don't know if the online community is still alive. I never played online -- it can get a little repetive offline if you're trying to unlock the best stuff.

Enchanted Arms -- A fairly typical, straightforward JRPG. Not revolutionary by any means, but if you're looking for something to fill the hole, you can do a lot worse. I only finished about half of it.

Eternal Sonata -- Again, not revolutionary, but what it does, it does well. Almost every facet of the game is above average.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that I've played (well, other than Last Story, which I've only heard other people talk about). Oh, there's also several DS games, but I'll assume you don't want those.

Too bad the OP is asking for RPGs on the PS3 because the 360 has a fairly solid line up in the JRPG department. I've pretty much loved every single one that I have played on the 360 so far and I've played quite a few.

Eternal Sonata was pretty cool and the PS3 is supposed to have some extra content. As far as I know it doesn't have trophy support though if that matters at all to you. The battle system was unique in that it combines Active Time Battle with Turn Based and I felt they did a really good job with it. The Cell shading is also absolutely gorgeous in that game.

Thanks for all the responses. I wanted opinions from somewhere other than the media, as I feel they may be "growing tired" of jrpgs, and thus be biased against them.

[quote name='panzerfaust']The first hours of any FF are press X to win. I think FFIX went as long as 15 hours like that. [/QUOTE]

I was doing way more in FFIX's first 15 hours than pressing the Auto button.

- buying weapons/armor, healing items
- learning skills, deciding between trade-offs of upgrading to stronger equipment versus holding onto older equipment for another hour to learn new spells, etc.
- taking on sidequests
- playing minigames (most notably, the trading card game: Tetra Master)
- exploring the world map and dungeons

FFIX is one of the more involving games in the series (i.e., very customizable character progression [compared to most RPG's], minigames, and lots of side content), so I'm really not sure why you chose that as your example of a 15 hour X-mash-fest. Any other game in the series (except FFVIII) would have been a better example for trying to make your argument...

In contrast, for the entirety of FFXIII that I played (8 hours), I did absolutely nothing other than:
- watch cutscenes
- walk down one-path (and occasionally briefly-two-path-before-becoming-one-path-again) corridors
- press Auto to win battles
- try to fight manually, and realize that the actions I choose are always the same as the Auto actions (given that I have how many actions to choose from? I forget, one or two?), realize that manual battling requires just as little strategy/skill and only serves to waste time, and return to Auto battling from now on

No shops/armor/equipment, no sidequests, no minigames, no character customization, no strategy in battles, no exploration, no dungeons (just one long corridor per area), ...

To anyone who hasn't played the game, that's going to sound like an incredibly gross exaggeration, but I can assure you that I mean all of that 100% literally. That was my *exact* experience playing the game. Right at the end, I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system, but it wasn't enough to keep me playing for another hour at that point.

I don't doubt that's what your experience was. And if you had played for another 8, it probably would've have been the same. It changes a lot once you reach the 2nd half of the game, though (and there are dozens of battles that blow the early ones out of the water). And FFXIII-2 is fairly wide open from the beginning. I certainly don't think they're for everyone, though, and I have no problems with people saying they don't like them.

Honestly, though, I hate that "linear" has become a naughty word. 15 years ago, I avoided linear games like the plague. But nowadays, my favorite games are ones that I don't spend hours wandering around just to check off boxes on my quest list (Edit: Not saying FFIX is like that, btw). Not that I can't see the appeal -- I used to love games like that, but I guess my tastes have just changed. Some of my more memorable games from the past few years are things like 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors, or Catherine, or Uncharted 2/3, or Sequence, where the games might be short and linear, but every minute is filled to the brim with gameplay and/or story.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I was doing way more in FFIX's first 15 hours than pressing the Auto button.

[/QUOTE]

I recited one line about the combat in FFIX, wasn't dissing its entire design -- you know what I was talking about. And you also know damn well that the Auto command isn't creating a void of strategy in FFXIII, which is a game entirely built around reactionary paradigm shifting, which has nothing to do micromanagement.

You clearly have an ingrained view of how your RPGs should function (or at least ones called Final Fantasy), and I fully understand your disappointment in something like FFXIII that plays in such a streamlined fashion. All I'm saying is that the OP should consider that for a streamlined game, FFXIII is among the most polished in the business -- and for the price, it isn't something he should be terrified of trying.

I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system

They actually add nothing to the battle system, in fact they're entirely useless until post-game. You saw a summon and made the connection that it meant more game depth -- this is a common trap our minds lead us into when we game with ingrained expectations. Square should really stop making FF and call their new RPGs something else.

Because XIII is a horrible Final Fantasy game, I'll agree with you all day on that.

[quote name='Josh1billion']
In contrast, for the entirety of FFXIII that I played (8 hours), I did absolutely nothing other than:
- watch cutscenes
- walk down one-path (and occasionally briefly-two-path-before-becoming-one-path-again) corridors
- try to fight manually, and realize that the actions I choose are always the same as the Auto actions (given that I have how many actions to choose from? I forget, one or two?), realize that manual battling requires just as little strategy/skill and only serves to waste time, and return to Auto battling from now on

No shops/armor/equipment, no sidequests, no minigames, no character customization, no strategy in battles, no exploration, no dungeons (just one long corridor per area), ...

To anyone who hasn't played the game, that's going to sound like an incredibly gross exaggeration, but I can assure you that I mean all of that 100% literally. That was my *exact* experience playing the game. Right at the end, I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system, but it wasn't enough to keep me playing for another hour at that point.[/QUOTE]

Auto battle is the point of the battle system in FFXIII, if you're trying to do it manually you're doing it wrong. It's meant to be fairly fast paced and is easily the most involving battle system in any FF I've played.

Auto battle is smart enough to pick the right attacks when you figure out what the weakness of an enemy is, so if you are using ravagers they'll keep using different attacks until they find out say...fire is the what the enemy is weak against and then the ravagers on your team will continue to use fire based attacks. It's all about setting up the right paradigms and making sure you're using the right ones at the right times.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I was doing way more in FFIX's first 15 hours than pressing the Auto button.

- buying weapons/armor, healing items
- learning skills, deciding between trade-offs of upgrading to stronger equipment versus holding onto older equipment for another hour to learn new spells, etc.
- taking on sidequests
- playing minigames (most notably, the trading card game: Tetra Master)
- exploring the world map and dungeons

FFIX is one of the more involving games in the series (i.e., very customizable character progression [compared to most RPG's], minigames, and lots of side content), so I'm really not sure why you chose that as your example of a 15 hour X-mash-fest. Any other game in the series (except FFVIII) would have been a better example for trying to make your argument...

- watch cutscenes

To anyone who hasn't played the game, that's going to sound like an incredibly gross exaggeration, but I can assure you that I mean all of that 100% literally. That was my *exact* experience playing the game. Right at the end, I vaguely recall receiving a summon which seemed to add a little spice to the battle system, but it wasn't enough to keep me playing for another hour at that point.[/QUOTE]

You definitely bring up a lot of valid points but at the same time you have to realize that it will take quite a while for an RPG to open up. Especially one like XIII where you can easily sink 100 hours into it. If they just dump everything on you at once you would simply be overwhelmed and have absolutely no idea how to proceed.

For me, I was relying on spamming Potions with the Doctor's Code accessory instead of using a Medic class until around the half way point if not later. Same thing goes with all the other roles. I'm assuming you're referring to the Commando role which only has 1~2 manual actions.

If you were to get to the Saboteur role (a role focused on debuffing) The Synergist role (a role focused on buffing) and the Medic (focused on healing/curing status ailments.) Then all of a sudden you have a ton of options and it's better to use manual commands (Well, this is probably most true for the Saboteur role)

As far as it being really linear, I won't argue with you there. The game does have a ton of cutscenes and you're basically going from point A to point B the majority of the time. That was greatly changed in the second game. Honestly though, I didn't have that much of a gripe with it to begin with.

Anywho, we're getting off track but I figure people could benefit from both sides of the spectrum. Some people are going to dislike it for certain reasons, which could prevent someone from even giving it a chance. While others may wonder what happens if you stick it out.

FFXIII pros and cons as honest as I can be:

Pros
- Graphics are good
- There are a few interesting characters
- Battle system gets great
- One of the most challenging Final Fantasy games
- Very different

Cons
* Slow to start
* Horrible ending
* Storyline gets bad
* 3 of the characters are extremely annoying
* Super linear/no exploration til nearly the end

If you can get past the beginning of the game and you can play through games with meh storylines in spite of them, you'll like it.

RPG Recommendations

XBOX 360
Tales of Vesparia (characters are good, storyline is okay, gameplay is great)
Lost Odyssey (good, but hard to stick with)

PS3
Valkyria Chronicles (this game is all about the tactical SRPG gameplay)

I loved FF XIII and XIII-2, although they almost killed my love for XIII-2 with all the DLC nonsense. Nier and the Atelier games are also good. I really think Enchanted Arms is underrated as well. I enjoyed it a lot.

[quote name='argyle']Suikoden II is one of my all-time favorites, but of course it is notoriously hard to find and Konami for some reason that continues to baffle me will not put it on the PSN...[/QUOTE]

Aaahhh I love that game! I regret the day I sold it :(

Nier is pretty awesome.

Haven't played any other PS3 JRPGs. If you get a 360 you should check out Lost Odyssey.

Good PS1 RPGs (That are on the PSN anyway): Grandia, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve 1 + 2, Chrono Chross. Chrono Trigger is good too, but I'm not sure if they fixed the PS1 loading times for the PSN release.

[quote name='roedaniel19']Thanks for all the responses. I wanted opinions from somewhere other than the media, as I feel they may be "growing tired" of jrpgs, and thus be biased against them.[/QUOTE]
I think I've ALWAYS been kind of biased against the jrpgs, since I can't stand any kinda RPG other than the hack & slash variety.

I absolutely loved the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games last gen, yet I have yet to actually 'complete' any of the current gen ones.

If you're looking for an interesting title that isn't exactly an RPG but definitely has a fun factor to it, I would recommend Catherine. It's one part puzzle game, one part anime and super weird, yet really, really fun to play.

Plus there's EIGHT endings to this game, if I remember correctly.

If you're wanting a little more hack-n-slash, I enjoyed the first 30 minutes of Lord of the Rings: War in the North, playing local co-op. Saving the rest for co-op with someone else (which is the reason I got it), but it seems like I'm gonna enjoy it, and it has gotten good reviews.

Ignore what this fine fellow says ^^^^ That game was trash. It's a terrible slog to get through. The story is terribly uninteresting, and the combat wears itself out no later than half way through.

(Plus it's in the low 60s on metacritic. RPG reviews from anything but a specialty site are usually worthless, but don't get the impression that it was well received.)

Huh, I guess you're right about the reviews. Was thinking it got good reviews for some reason. Sorry about that. Although, to be fair, there were severe bugs at launch that prevented a lot of people from completing the game, which (understandably) probably knocked down review scores across the board. Honestly, though, I'm always desperate for couch co-op games, and that's the only reason I got it, and iirc, most sites I saw praised the co-op. I probably wouldn't be playing it if it wasn't for the couch co-op -- you can only play so many co-op FPSs before you get desperate for something else.

Indeed, co-op makes everything better! For the record, though, I played the entire game co-op and still ended up my aforementioned feelings on it. :3

If you like the Atelier trilogy (particularly the first one), I'd also recommend Recettear. It's PC only, I believe, and not particularly difficult, but can easily suck away 15 hours before you realize it.

bread's done
Back