RPG newbie looking....

Toireht

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm a complete n00bie to RPGS for console, only ones i really played before are ones for computer; DAOC, WoW, Diablo 2, Icewind Dale. I am looking for a good RPG for the ps2 or GC, thats around $20 with good music thats not Final Fantasy. I was looking at Phantom Brave, Star Ocean, Tales of Symphonia, and Dark Cloud 2, but I dont know which of these has great music. I also dont want to be lost when it comes to the story, so for example, if i need to play dark cloud before the 2nd one please let me know.

thanks

Xenosaga, Suikoden III, and Kingdom Hearts are all great.

why no Final Fantasy? it's widely held as the best console RPG series, and one of my favorites.

[quote name='pimp tyranny']Xenosaga, Suikoden III, and Kingdom Hearts are all great.

why no Final Fantasy? it's widely held as the best console RPG series, and one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

Although I'll agree with the first Xenosaga, and I'll agree with Kingdom Hearts.. Suikoden III is a game many rpg veterans found hard to enjoy, I'd never think of recommending that piece to any rpg newbie.

Dark Cloud 2 is excellent, although it's not a traditional RPG. You shouldn't be lost without playing Dark Cloud 1 first--I started off w/ DC2 and had no problems. It also has great music and a fun story to boot. I'd recommend it as a good choice for a starter console RPG.

Its not that I dont like them, its that I am playing through the older ones first and trying to play them in order. I am just looking for a different RPG to play right now from this generation.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Although I'll agree with the first Xenosaga, and I'll agree with Kingdom Hearts.. Suikoden III is a game many rpg veterans found hard to enjoy, I'd never think of recommending that piece to any rpg newbie.[/QUOTE]

maybe it's not the best for an RPG newbie, but i found it to be the most enjoyable Suikoden.

and i liked the first two Suikodens

[quote name='Ecofreak']Shadow Hearts And Shadow Hearts: Covenant[/QUOTE]

Those are good suggestions. SH: C was my first console RPG, and it got me more interested in the genre.

Paper Mario 2 is great, but not if you're looking for a standard RPG. It's an RPG with a fun spin on it.

Otherwise, you'll find no good RPGS on either GC or PS2, unless you play PS1 RPGs on your PS2. Yeah, I said it.

If you do go for PS1 titles, Suikoden 1 or 2 (don't listen to some of these other chumps, Suikoden 3 was ass) and Lunar 1 or 2 are all great (though you should play either series in order for maximum enjoyment).

Thanks for all the replies and advice. But since there are a lot of suggestions, lets narrow what I am looking for down:

Deep Fighting system
Tactics style gameplay
Fantasy Setting with knights and kings

I know there are a couple like that for PS2, Phantom Brave, Disagaea, Stella Deus, and etc. But which of those games, and not just those three looking for any thing like them, would you recommend?
I am playing through tactics ogre on my GBA and have played through Ogre Battle 64, which both of them I really like. So I guess the question is, what game resembles those two games on the PS2?

I loved Xenosaga1... but I quit halfway through 2 because it put me to sleep. The battle system and character leveling was ok... but the story just wasn't right. 1 left off with you fighting off gnosis by the millions and destroying a giant space lab. 2 starts up and it totally loses the pacing. The gnosis aren't even mentioned (that I noticed) in the 10 hours I played. The new mechs just come out of nowhere. They don't talk about where the old ones went, how they got the new ones, WHY they got the new ones. They fucked up the story by trying to force in things they just wanted to look cool. You also spend way too much time dealing with Sakura. Theres an inter dimensional war going on and you're dicking around with Jrs recollections of some dead girl...

Sounds like you are looking more for a Strategy RPG than a traditional RPG. (You might want to update your OP with that as many will just read that and then post.)

Of the three you listed I think Phantom Brave is the only one you can get for $20 or less.

[quote name='Toireht']Thanks for all the replies and advice. But since there are a lot of suggestions, lets narrow what I am looking for down:

Deep Fighting system
Tactics style gameplay
Fantasy Setting with knights and kings

I know there are a couple like that for PS2, Phantom Brave, Disagaea, Stella Deus, and etc. But which of those games, and not just those three looking for any thing like them, would you recommend?
I am playing through tactics ogre on my GBA and have played through Ogre Battle 64, which both of them I really like. So I guess the question is, what game resembles those two games on the PS2?[/QUOTE]

Disgaea is rare in stores...you'd have to hit up ebay or this forum to see if someone has it. PB is around $20 new in store...and it's fun.

Final Fantasy Tactics might be a game you'll enjoy.
Its PSX not PS2 thou.

FireEmblem is coming to the GameCube verys shortly that too you might enjoy.

Well decided to go with Disgaea, since frys has it for $40 shipped. Its more then what i wanted to spend but worth it since this game keeps fluctuating in price, who knows what it will be in a couple months. I then will move on to the rest of the Nippon Ichi games, if I like this one.

Thanks for all the help guys

bread's done
Back