RPG/Open World Customizable Games

e hx c a s s

CAG Veteran
I really like RPG and Open World games with customization and i want to know peoples opinions of the best western RPG games. Games like:
Mass Effect Series
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age 2
Arkham City
Skyrim
Oblivion
Assassin's Creed Series
Saints Row Series
Any other games that have the same kind of open world/roleplaying customization like the ones above?
and i know some of these arent RPG's but they are action or open world

You might enjoy:

Deus Ex Human Revolution: Has character builds, allows you to explore and speech options can effect certain outcomes of some situations. This one is probably closest to what you're looking for.
RAGE (Mostly a shooter but has a weak attempt at Open-World, and different ammunition for certain enemy types that work better)
Fable II: Didn't really enjoy this one too much personally but I know a couple of people really like it.
Bastion: Although an Arcade title it is pretty fun and worth it if goes on sale again. I don't think I would have bothered to try it at $15

My favorite open-world game this generation is Red Faction: Guerilla. It has light character upgrades. Its sequel, Armageddon, disappointedly went linear.

[quote name='ArmyOfFun']My favorite open-world game this generation is Red Faction: Guerilla. It has light character upgrades. Its sequel, Armageddon, disappointedly went linear.[/QUOTE]
i agree fully to bad company went under i want another red faction.....

[quote name='e hx c a s s']I really like RPG and Open World games with customization and i want to know peoples opinions of the best western RPG games. Games like:
Mass Effect Series
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Dragon Age 2
Arkham City
Skyrim
Oblivion
Assassin's Creed Series
Saints Row Series
Any other games that have the same kind of open world/roleplaying customization like the ones above?
and i know some of these arent RPG's but they are action or open world[/QUOTE]

Honestly, all the games you mentioned are amazing. Assassins creed, elder scrolls, and dragon age being my favorites.

Other great games with similar play styles are:
Red faction (open world shooter with loadsof destruction

Crackdown (gta type with super hero like abilities)

Red dead redemption (open world western shooter)

The witcher 2 (open world RPG,and it's epic!)

Dragons Dogma (open world RPG)

Borderlands (sorta like a half ass open world? With lots of shooting and RPG elements) I guess that thebest way to describe it.

Two worlds 2 (a decent open world RPG)

Sacred 2 (a decnt RPG kinda similar to diablo when considering the camera view and lots of looting)

The Sabotuer - very good open world WW2 game. Some (rightly) complained of repetition in it, but it never bothered me. It also shares a cool mechanic with De Blob, of all games. The areas that are under Nazi control are mostly black and white, while the more liberated areas become colored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kingdoms of Amalaur: Reckoning is one of the best open world RPG's I've ever played. Excellent enemies, story, graphics and just an all around fun game to play. Has a pretty deep blacksmithing / alchemy system and a HUGE open map. Download the demo and you'll be sold. A very, very underrated game.

Also, Lego Batman 2 has an open world Gothom City. Haven't played it yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']i agree fully to bad company went under i want another red faction.....[/QUOTE]

Volition is still around. I think RF:A disappointed from a sales perspective and THQ decided to kill the series as a result.

[quote name='Vap']Honestly, all the games you mentioned are amazing. Assassins creed, elder scrolls, and dragon age being my favorites.

Other great games with similar play styles are:
Red faction (open world shooter with loadsof destruction

Crackdown (gta type with super hero like abilities)

Red dead redemption (open world western shooter)

The witcher 2 (open world RPG,and it's epic!)

Dragons Dogma (open world RPG)

Borderlands (sorta like a half ass open world? With lots of shooting and RPG elements) I guess that thebest way to describe it.

Two worlds 2 (a decent open world RPG)

Sacred 2 (a decnt RPG kinda similar to diablo when considering the camera view and lots of looting)[/QUOTE]

All good choices, except The Witcher 2 isn't an open world RPG at all, it's very linear

Fable seems like the obvious series missing from your list. Of the two 360 games most people seem to prefer II but III is also great and you can jump in with either game.

You might like Borderlands, it's kind of the opposite of Fallout (open-world RPG with light FPS elements vs. FPS with light open-world RPG elements).

If you've only played Dragon Age II, I'm sure you'd enjoy Origins and the Awakening expansion as well.

I think you and I have similar tastes in games. So allow me to recommend a few.

Just Cause 2
Open World. Big Explosions. 400 Square Miles.
Do you need more? It's a very fun game as long as you don't take it too seriously.

[customspoiler=Look]
1366064-ubwcz_super.jpg

[/customspoiler]

Red Faction: Guerrilla
I second this. The best destruction engine to date. (Yes, way better than Frostbite 2.0)

Crackdown 2
Another fun game.

I will probaby think of more and update my post.

I recently got Dead Island in the mail from GameFly and have been pleasantly surprised. It's a fun mash-up of Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising, with a cool setting. Running along the beach while caving in skulls and cutting off heads is a lot of fun.

Red Dead Redemption is an amazing open world game. Better than the GTA series in my mind. There is no real customization though. Mercenaries (XBOX) is backwards compatible and is a lot of fun. Mercenaries 2 was trashed by critics, but I really nejoyed it. It has two player co-op as well. Two Worlds 1 has it's issues, but it has a huge open world and a lot of customization. Someone else already mentioned Two Worlds II. Divinity II fits the bill, but is kind of hit or miss. The big feature is that you can change into a dragon. A second interesting feature is mind reading to gain info for people you are talking to. Otherwise, it is a fairly standard fantasy action RPG.

I didn't see a PSN tag, but if you have a PS3, Infamous and Infamous 2 are good choices.

When I think of amazing RPGs I think of the Mass Effect series, Bioshock series, Fable series, Dues Ex series, Fallout series, Borderlands, Dragon Age series and the Elder Scrolls series. When I think of amazing open world I think of Red Dead Redemption, Crackdown, Just Cause series, Assassin's Creed series, Red Faction series, Batman series, GTA series and Burnout Paradise lol. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back