RPG Thread #4 - Just in Time for Final Fantasy IV DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Quite a bit better.

Luca pretty much destroys all other villians. Not only is he an evil son of a bitch, he has a reason to be. Seeing your mother raped in front of your eyes as a kid will mess anyone up.

Also who doesn't love the "pig" scene?

Woman: Please don't kill me!
Luca: Then act like a pig
Woman: What?
Luca: Act like a pig!
Woman: *crawls around on all fours and oinks*
Luca: Hahaha! Die pig! *kills her*[/QUOTE]

Suikoden II spoilers...

The night raid to kill Luca is one of my favorite parts in any game. Taking so many people to kill one person... he's such a badass

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']I need a FF game that requires me to grind, and not just for a super boss that only exists at the end of the game, when I'm less motivated to grind. They should remake FF5, just fix the translation and make it stupid difficult. Though finding Shinryu in a chest was a pretty dirty move.[/QUOTE]

If you want a hard Final Fantasy game, go try out Crisis Core on hard mode. Even ff veterans have some trouble with it. If that not hard enough, try brutal roguelikes- when you die you lose all your equipment , non stored items or even level(depending on game) which usually accompanied with autosave to give you a friendly reminder not to die.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Quite a bit better.

Luca pretty much destroys all other villians. Not only is he an evil son of a bitch, he has a reason to be. Seeing your mother raped in front of your eyes as a kid will mess anyone up.

Also who doesn't love the "pig" scene?

Woman: Please don't kill me!
Luca: Then act like a pig
Woman: What?
Luca: Act like a pig!
Woman: *crawls around on all fours and oinks*
Luca: Hahaha! Die pig! *kills her*[/QUOTE]

I agree. Luca Blight such a badass

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']Yea the brutal roguelike games are mad fun, they just need a nice story and I'm good.[/quote]

Are there any rogue-likes on DS or PSP or even console that are cheap with a good story. I want to try one out some time.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']Yea the brutal roguelike games are mad fun, they just need a nice story and I'm good.[/QUOTE]

It must be an acquire taste. I hate roguelike. I like a more flexible and more refine action rpg dungeon crawler.

It's hard to find a good story when it comes to roguelike. Roguelike was never concern with story or graphics instead it is more focus towards gameplay and challenging difficult. Of course, the modern roguelikes have been soften the difficult a bit to attract towards the general public. Games like Izuna, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Chocobo Dungeon or Azure Dreams, you don't lose your level when die, only items/equipment.

If you look at all the home console roguelikes(izuna, shiren, pokemon mystery dungeon series, chocobo dungeon, baroque, azure dreams, torneko the last hope, baroque, Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon, Lufia the Legends return) they all have horrible stories. The only roguelike that have a good story is Diablo 2. It has roguelike elements like random dungeons, dungeon crawling, monster generating different abilities or immunities, and negative consequences when you die(ie, lost of exp on harder modes or death on hardcore). Still Diablo 2 is still classified as action rpg because that it's dominate gameplay element.

Yea, it is an acquired case. It takes quite a bit to play a game made to crush your soul. I thought FFXII had some rogue like tendencies but it wasn't hard enough and the story wasn't all that great.

What would you guys recommend as the best My First Rougelike on the DS? I've never played one before and I'd like to try one, but I don't want Super Anal Rape settings always turned on.

Probably pokemon mystery dungeon. Thats my guess from the reviews/podcast talk I've heard.

I might pick up Shiren or Izuna for something a little more hardcore. Unless I can be a Bulbasaur!

[quote name='Jest']Probably pokemon mystery dungeon.
[/quote]

Except that.

I don't have enough self-confidence to buy a Pokemon game and still feel like a grown-ass man.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Except that.

I don't have enough self-confidence to buy a Pokemon game and still feel like a grown-ass man.[/quote]

Yet you have no problem with that avatar.

[quote name='depascal22']Yet you have no problem with that avatar.[/quote]

Yo mama didn't have no problem with my avatar either.

and by avatar, I mean raging erection.

And now you know why you were specifically named in the thread where people name things that annoy them. Good job, buddy. My mom wants her panties back by they way. Extra big grannies. Can't miss em.

RPGs are so great...

I hit a road block in Person 3... Now I don't know if I want to buy P4 or not... There seems like theres a lot of other stuff I have to spend money on this winter.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Im so tired of hearing that 90% of RPGs have the same story. If you simplify them to the lowest common similarties of saving the world, love story or orphen child yes. But just for an example using FFX which we have been discussing.
Point out the many other games that reveal the main charcter is just a dream and the society he came from is also but a dream
[/QUOTE]
I don't consider FFX part of the 90%. I'm talking about the 14 Tales of... games, the Golden Suns, Breath of Fires, and Grandias of the world.

I'll address the battle system.
Pete: And why not use your skills? It's about MP conservation.
You need your MP for the boss. MP conservation = not using your skills. Not using your skills = using only Attack for the whole dungeon til you get to the boss.

[quote name='MSI Magus']On spoilers. Id still be careful. There are so many good games that come out anymore that it can be hard to keep up with them all.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it's OK to spoil games that haven't even come out in America yet:

[quote name='kainzero']
Oh and the part about you being a dream? Yeah. They did that.
In Dragon Quest 6.
[/quote]

As someone who played Suiko 2 after 1,3,4, and 5, I never saw the appeal of 2. Just another copy of 1 to me.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']What would you guys recommend as the best My First Rougelike on the DS? I've never played one before and I'd like to try one, but I don't want Super Anal Rape settings always turned on.[/quote]

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Except that.

I don't have enough self-confidence to buy a Pokemon game and still feel like a grown-ass man.[/quote]

If Pokemon is out , then your next best option for the DS would probably be Izuna. It's supposed to be harder than pokemon , but still more forgiving compared to other roguelike style games. I would avoid Shiren the Wanderer as I've heard that that game is very hard and is mostly for experienced roguelike veterans.

But in all seriousness, pokemon is mostly likely the best beginners roguelike style game (for the DS at least). You know that when veterans complain that your game is "too easy" for them , that it's a good beginners game.

[quote name='Moxio']There shouldn't be any roadblocks in P3.[/quote]
I didn't mind those. And even if they weren't there you wouldn't have been able to finish the game any faster.

[quote name='pete5883']You need your MP for the boss. MP conservation = not using your skills. Not using your skills = using only Attack for the whole dungeon til you get to the boss.[/quote]
If you don't use your skills, you'll get hurt. You get hurt, you need to heal. You heal, you use MP. Balance.

Apparently it's OK to spoil games that haven't even come out in America yet:
It's about as revealing as the double-sided World of Balance / World of Ruin map that came with FF3, only you learn about it much earlier in the game.

[quote name='StarKnightX']If Pokemon is out , then your next best option for the DS would probably be Izuna. It's supposed to be harder than pokemon , but still more forgiving compared to other roguelike style games. I would avoid Shiren the Wanderer as I've heard that that game is very hard and is mostly for experienced roguelike veterans.

But in all seriousness, pokemon is mostly likely the best beginners roguelike style game (for the DS at least). You know that when veterans complain that your game is "too easy" for them , that it's a good beginners game.[/quote]

For the DS roguelikes that are out now:

Pokémon is easier than Izuna which is easier than Shiren.

PMD really is a good introduction to Roguelikes; you have multiple party members, you don't level down, and overall the difficulty doesn't ramp up until probably the post-game.

Izuna is a little bit harder in that you only have yourself, and the fact that you need to use more of the items and careful planning. The game doesn't get ballbustingly hard before the post-game, but its still hard by the final dungeon. The game's no cakewalk.

Whenever Chocobo's Dungeon DS comes out, it'll probably slot in between PMD and Izuna.

i didn't know those mystery dungeon games were called roguelikes.

i'm used to play original rogue. i don't think i got past the 3rd floor. i suck at those games.

i used to play the torneko mystery dungeon game but i couldn't beat the second stage =(

Not a fan of the roguelikes. I've tried a few, including Izuna, Shiren, and Pokemon and none of them really did it for me. What is the appeal to this genre of RPGs?

To comment on some of the discussion yesterday that I missed out on.

I have not played/beaten ToS or FFX (although I'm currently playing through FFX , and I own but haven't touched ToS) so spoiler warnings are appreciated. At the same time I also understand that it can be annoying to constantly have to watch for revealing spoilers for a major game thats been out for several years and that most people who wanted to play it probably already have. I make it a habit to just be on guard for my own good. If it looks like a conversation is going to enter spoiler territory I just skip over it.

Regarding Dragon Quest , I've never really given the series a fair chance. I have 1,2 and 3 for the GBC and 8 for the PS2 but never gave any of them more than a little while of play time. I'll get to them in my backlog eventually. On that note , I am really looking forward to DQ4 on the DS.

As far as BOF is concerned , its probably one of my long time favorite RPG series besides Final Fantasy. I own and have beaten the 1st , own but have never beaten the 2nd , own and have beaten the third (several times) , own but have never beaten the 4th , and don not own and have not beaten the 5th. I really wish capcom would revive the franchise.

While I like Breath of Fire and all, I just don't see Capcom putting money into another installment.

Maybe they'll make a download only sequel.

[quote name='Krymner']Not a fan of the roguelikes. I've tried a few, including Izuna, Shiren, and Pokemon and none of them really did it for me. What is the appeal to this genre of RPGs?[/QUOTE]
Some people like getting kicked in the nuts for 20 hours+.

[quote name='pete5883']Some people like getting kicked in the nuts for 20 hours+.[/quote]

Hey , pain and frustration can lead to satisfaction. Maybe you just need to have a bit of a masochistic side to you. Although I've never played any games from the roguelike genre , I've been a long time fan of shmups and they also have a high pain / frustration rate as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN has a sweet hands-on preview of Fire Emblem DS here. I'm anxiously looking forward to this game. The multi-player addition sounds really cool.

The biggest attraction here for veteran Fire Emblem players will be the new online two-player game, which is a series first. This feature can be played locally, between two players each with their own DS and copy of the game, or via the Wi-Fi connection. Either way, it's a two-player versus challenge that enables you to pit your strategic thinking against the battle skills of another Fire Emblem player, selecting up to five units from your single-player game file to compete in battles with the other player's units. One player can determine the rules of battle -- 3, 5 and 10-minute time limits can be imposed to hurry players into making their moves, and the number of turns each player can make can also be limited. The subsequent two-player mini wars are played out on a map reserved specifically for this purpose. There's also an online shop (no need for real money, don't worry) accessible via the Wi-Fi connection, which stocks exclusive items that cannot be bought in the game if you only play offline. These aren't essential for progress, but they're a neat bonus.

[quote name='willardhaven']While I like Breath of Fire and all, I just don't see Capcom putting money into another installment.

Maybe they'll make a download only sequel.[/quote]

It may take a few years but I can defiantly see Capcom revisiting the BoF series. It's not like them to start a franchise then leave it hanging for too long. I'd expect a DS or PSP game, but like you say I doubt they'd drop a butt-load of money into it.

[quote name='willardhaven']For some reason I never want to play a Fire Emblem... ever.[/quote]

You're missing nothing. RNG-based level-ups, extreme easiness until they decide to put in specific curveballs in levels that will force you to restart due to not having been wearing future specs, dull story, derivative characters. Really, it's the weakest link of S-RPGs.

SRPGs are not usually my genre. I couldn't get through FFTactics despite enjoying the story and graphics.

The only SRPG I have ever beaten is Disgaea for PS2. I thought it was incredibly fun and fixed my main problem with SRPGs: the slow pace.

Fire Emblem can eat me. It gets to the point where every mission is like this:

1. You dominate the map.
2. Twenty enemies appear from every side during some stupid cutscene.
3. You get raped and have to start over or lose characters.

FUN.

And the story is the most boring thing I have ever read in a game.

Since everyone praised the Fire Emblem series I tried to get into the GC & Wii versions. But only played them for a few hours before I realized I hate Strategy games. Would you guys consider Arc the Lad a SRPG? If so that's probably my favorite of the genre.

[quote name='willardhaven']While I like Breath of Fire and all, I just don't see Capcom putting money into another installment.

Maybe they'll make a download only sequel.[/QUOTE]

Chances of new Breath of Fire are really slim when they have a more popular and profitable, Monster Hunter series.

[quote name='Chacrana']I just wonder how it'll compare to the console games and GBA games. I hope it has a better presentation than the latter.[/QUOTE]

The presentation is little less cartoony then the previous version. The animation for those attacks sequences aren't as extravagant as previous version. They're dull down a bit espically when it comes to critical attacks. The game mechanics are pretty much the same, with some minor changes. I only played a few hours on emulator, so I didn't get the full experience. I know it's a remake of snes version , Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo.

[quote name='Rodimus']Since everyone praised the Fire Emblem series I tried to get into the GC & Wii versions. But only played them for a few hours before I realized I hate Strategy games. Would you guys consider Arc the Lad a SRPG? If so that's probably my favorite of the genre.[/QUOTE]

Arc the Lad is consider a strategy rpg. It's a turn based rpg which usually consists of tiles or square movement such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea or Jeanne d Arc. While, other might have no grids or tiles, but still have that turn based combat implemented like Makai Kingdom or Phantom Brave(i think it was called circle movement or something like that).

I picked up Pokemon Explorers of Darkness. I have redone the quiz thing a dozen times because I haven't gotten Muchlax yet.

[quote name='Rodimus']Since everyone praised the Fire Emblem series I tried to get into the GC & Wii versions. But only played them for a few hours before I realized I hate Strategy games. Would you guys consider Arc the Lad a SRPG? If so that's probably my favorite of the genre.[/QUOTE]
I don't think Arc the Lad is an SRPG at all, it's just a regular turn-based RPG on a grid. I think just because it has a grid-based battle system, stupid people call it a SRPG.

So after everyone ragged on Dragon Quest VIII, I decided to play it a little. It's a very traditional, almost archaic game, but it's definitely not a bad one at all.

It's like playing a classic RPG without all of the hardware limitations.

I started Eternal Sonata. I'm really liking it, except for the VO for Beat and Polka. Battle System reminds me a lot of Valkyrie Profile 2 (Is Tri-Crescendo related to Tri-Ace in any way? Their logos are similar and the battle systems of both games are reminiscent of each other.), and the graphics are insane. I don't know why I waited so long to buy it, as I loved the demo when it came out.

But I probably should've waited for the PS3 version to come out, since it actually seems like it has a good amount of new content.

Guys we are about to have an RPG Orgasm in a week span they are releasing 3 RPG's for Xbox 360 which include Too Human 8/19 (Must have for my loot addiction) Tales of Vesperia 8/26 (come on its Tales, and has a sexy collectors edition) and my most anticapated out of the three Infinite Undiscovery 9/2 (Square Enix, Battle system looks great, no loading for battles, they are streamed)

[quote name='willardhaven']I think Tri-Crescendo worked with Tri-Ace on sound... perhaps they are former staff?[/QUOTE]
Just wikipedia'd it, and you're right, Tri-Crescendo did (And I think still does) the sound for Tri-Ace games. They started developing their own games in 2001 with Baten Kaitos.
I feel enlightened.:D

I thought Eternal Sonata looked very similar to Radiata Stories, which I think Tri-Crescendo worked on.

I didn't like Baten Kaitos' card system, Eternal Sonata is better I hope.

[quote name='willardhaven']I thought Eternal Sonata looked very similar to Radiata Stories, which I think Tri-Crescendo worked on.

I didn't like Baten Kaitos' card system, Eternal Sonata is better I hope.[/QUOTE]
I haven't played BK, as I tend to avoid Card-Based RPGs like the plague, but I really am enjoying Eternal Sonata. The Battle System is pretty basic, but fun and satisfying at the same time. The system where you have different attacks depending whether you're in the light or dark is also pretty cool. The cut-scenes are very, very long though, and they'll throw in random mini-biographies of Chopin in the middle of chapters that are really long, and also really boring. Other than that, the story is pretty cool.
I'd wait for the PS3 version to come out though, as it has some cool upgrades, like 2 new characters, new scenes and quests, new costumes, and multiple endings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back