RPG Thread X will never be localized because you'd rather buy another generic FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways, disc 2 of Lost Odyssey has brought a much needed breath of fresh air to the game (though, ever since the kids joined the group, they've pretty much sapped all enjoyment from the cutscenes.). What I find hilarious though is that for boring segments in this game, like a funeral or going to a forbidden forest to find a lost child -- they make you play through those. Like, gather these sticks and flowers, move these boulders. But when I have to steal a powerful naval vessel, my characters just walk up to it while its docked at the hanger and off we go!

The one exciting situation that's kind of a big deal, and all I have to do is walk onto the ship to steal it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Anyways, disc 2 of Lost Odyssey has brought a much needed breath of fresh air to the game.

Though, ever since the kids joined the group, they've pretty much sapped all enjoyment from the cutscenes.[/QUOTE]

If you think those kids are horrible, try playing Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean, both games with some "amazing" kids

[quote name='Indignate']I liked the kids from LO, mainly because Lil Deville from Rugrats was in it.[/QUOTE]

WHAT. :shock:

mind = blown.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']If you think those kids are horrible, try playing Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean, both games with some "amazing" kids[/QUOTE]

I wanted to throw Limile, or however you spell her fucking name in a meat grinder; but she had healing spells and I always take a healer with me.

...of course then Sarah shows up..............

fuck that game.

And speaking of Star Ocean, I just started playing the first one on PSP, not too bad, so far.

[quote name='Indignate']That's my childhood dammit!

And she does an...alright job.[/QUOTE]

Mine too. I can't believe I never made that connection. (That's coming from the guy who was able to match even the most minor characters in Catherine to the roles they'd played in Persona 3/4)

The second I heard Cooke speak in LO, I looked it up to check if it was Phil and Lil's VA, and it was. As far as children in RPGs go, the ones in LO are probably my favorites. I actually really liked the funeral scene in LO with them.

I knew it was a rugrat. Really hate that voice to be honest. Her Japanese VA sounds like a 40 y/o woman though, so....

Really, the Japanese VAs are horrid. They say you can't tell because you aren't a native speaker, but I think I'm starting to catch on.

[quote name='whoknows']I wish another version of FFXIII came out this year so it could be my GOTY again.[/QUOTE]

There is.

XIII-2 comes out in Japan in December. So that counts.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Really, the Japanese VAs are horrid. They say you can't tell because you aren't a native speaker, but I think I'm starting to catch on.[/QUOTE]
Don't you know that all original Japanese voice acting is great and all dubs are terrible. It's physically impossible for a Japanese person to be a bad actor, duh. What kind of a JRPG fan are you anyway?!

[quote name='whoknows']Was anyone wanting a new Suikoden game anyways?[/QUOTE]

Look at where you are. Almost every single one of us was.

It's no surprise though.

[quote name='Japanese Dorito']The first three are wonderful RPGs[/QUOTE]

So is the 5th one.

[quote name='bvharris']So is the 5th one.[/QUOTE]

Never played the 5th one.

So the Grandia designer passed away, and this team is broken up? This is a sad week for JRPGs

[quote name='panzerfaust']Really, the Japanese VAs are horrid. They say you can't tell because you aren't a native speaker, but I think I'm starting to catch on.[/QUOTE]
you can tell when you hear enough real people speak japanese

you will be able to hear a voice and think
"yep, that's an anime voice"

[quote name='kainzero']you can tell when you hear enough real people speak japanese

you will be able to hear a voice and think
"yep, that's an anime voice"[/QUOTE]

Yeah some of them are seriously grating after awhile.

They might've well disbanded 5 years ago. I wasn't hopeful of a new Suikoden game any time soon. But like any franchise it wont stay down forever, it will be revived some way or another.

Borderlands 2 :)

borderlands-2-20110803084311714.jpg

Sooooo beyond pumped for Borderlands 2... The first game was perfection. One of my favorite games ever and only topped by Mass Effect 2 this gen. Hype!!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Sooooo beyond pumped for Borderlands 2... The first game was perfection. One of my favorite games ever and only topped by Mass Effect 2 this gen. Hype!![/QUOTE]

I just created a discussion thread for it, I feel like pre-ordering it right now, yet it isn't coming out for a while...

It feels like Etrian Odyssey 3 will take me a year to complete at this rate. I've just finished exploring all of B4F and want to level up one more time before taking on the boss.

It seems like it takes 1-2 nights of playing (1-2 horus each time) just to fight/grind enough to go up one level. And that's on a good night, and I dont want to play the same game every night. Gotta break up the routine sometimes.

Kind of a disappointment, as I heard the newer games in the series (V?) were much better, but they lost me at Suikoden 3. I really enjoyed 3 though. Great characters, loved the graphics. I'll have to go back and play it at some point.

Was the anime any good? There was an anime for it, right?

[quote name='2DMention']Kind of a disappointment, as I heard the newer games in the series (V?) were much better, but they lost me at Suikoden 3. I really enjoyed 3 though. Great characters, loved the graphics. I'll have to go back and play it at some point.
[/QUOTE]

No Suikoden II was the highlight of series.The others were never as good as that one.

[quote name='themaster20000']No Suikoden II was the highlight of series.The others were never as good as that one.[/QUOTE]

Suikoden II was indeed the highlight of the series, but I, III, and V are absolutely fantastic RPGs as well. IV gets a bad rep and is definitely not up to par with the rest of the series, but it's at least as good as the average PS2 RPG.

[quote name='Hell Monkey']There was a Suikoden manga though.[/QUOTE]
It was an adaptation of Suikoden 3 and it was released by Tokyopop back in the day. There were also light novels released following the storylines of Suikoden 1 and 2, but they were never released in the US.

Borderlands was awesome, probably the best co-op experience this gen.

Improvements they could make might be improved environments, more distinguishable classes (more skills, less passives), better forms of travel, and an ending that doesn't suck.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Borderlands was awesome, probably the best co-op experience this gen.

Improvements they could make might be improved environments, more distinguishable classes (more skills, less passives), better forms of travel, and an ending that doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

The travel was ok. I wouldn't care if they didn't change it. More classes would be great, and balance some stuff. My first time through with Mordecai was great with the sniper, but you pretty much had to use pistols after that.

They also need to fix rockets. They just go straight through everything. You had to fire at a wall near an enemy, instead of at it.

Yeah, I'm surprised that the hit detection and splash damage issues with rockets never got fixed. It seems relatively simple, and there were tons of other things in the game that got fixed or rebalanced over time. Rocket launchers were pretty much unusable I thought.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']Is a single Suikoden storyline branched over all the games?[/QUOTE]

Ish. Unlike Final Fantasy they all take place in the same world and are part of a single canon. The games do reference each other and characters recur across games (particularly I,II, and V). That said, the individual stories of each game are mostly independent, so if you started with V you wouldn't be lost not having played the others.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Also don't play Suikoden IV. Game is terrible.[/QUOTE]

It's not really. They made some design choices in Suikoden IV which were not good, and the game suffered for it. Most of those were corrected in V.

It's not worthy of the Suikoden name, and it's certainly the worst in the series, but it's still at least an average RPG, far from terrible.

On a related note, how do you pronounce Suikoden? I've never heard it said out loud, and I'll probably never say it out loud, but at least I'll pronounce it correcly in my head as I'm reading.

[quote name='Backlash']On a related note, how do you pronounce Suikoden? I've never heard it said out loud, and I'll probably never say it out loud, but at least I'll pronounce it correcly in my head as I'm reading.[/QUOTE]

I pronounce it SU-ee-KO-den. I say I, because I'm not a native Waponese speaker.

[quote name='Backlash']On a related note, how do you pronounce Suikoden? I've never heard it said out loud, and I'll probably never say it out loud, but at least I'll pronounce it correcly in my head as I'm reading.[/QUOTE]

I have always pronounced it su-ko-den, with the "I" being silent, but I've heard people pronounce the "I" as well. I think my way sounds better, but I think I've read somewhere that the "I" should be pronounced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back