RPG's on the PS3

ryanbw

CAGiversary!
While everyone on the 360 sites drool in anticipation of Fable II, what RPG's are good for us PS3 users? I would love to get some recommendations.

I loved Oblivion and recently purchased (but not played) Folklore. What other current RPG titles are good and what is there to come?

FYI I don't really care much for the turn based games.

Yes, where are my damn PS3 rpgs. I go to the gamestop page for PS3 rpgs and they only have a handful. I remember the PS2 seem to get a new rpg every month. I like shooters as much as the next guy but I like to mix it up a bit.

So none of those are out yet??? Well at least there are some coming. I'm surprised there aren't any RPG's out sooner.

I've played Eternal Sonata to completion on the 360. It's not a bad RPG but the ending makes me want to jump over the bridge (hopefully the three endings fix that) and also the game is incredibly easy. I rarely died and I finished in 19 hours including all sidequests on first playthrough and that also includes the cutscenes. Pretty scary huh?

But if you desperately want to play a RPG on the PS3, It's a pretty decent choice till more comes out. My wife wanted the game pretty badly and I was the one to end up beating it.

Fallout 3 is an RPG?

All the screens I've seen make it appear to be a shooter.

Maybe it's one a them newfangled shootin' pseudo-RPGs like Mass Effect?

Didn't Factor 5 say something today about a 'shocking announcement' happening on the 26th? If so, I just hope they don't pull a Squeenix on PS3 users. :whistle2:#

26th is Tokyo game show. I suspect both MS and Sony will be there to show off any RPGs they have.

MS managed to nab a lot of RPG developers back in 2007 while Sony was still sorting through the launch, let alone trying to get their third party support and dealmaking going. Meanwhile, MS went around with the money hat and the sales figures.

I suspect Sony will try to get back some of those gamers by pushing the next Team ICO project (which often appeals to the same market as RPGs), Factor 5's project, White Knight Chronicles, and the confirmed exclusive FF Versus 13.

I'm also pretty sure a lot of those 360 RPGs are timed exclusives. Tales of Vesperia will undoubtedly come to the PS3 once a timed exclusivity period is up. The only reason why the last remnant was delayed on the PS3 was Unreal Engine troubles (damn Epic) like a lot of Unreal engine developers had.

As for Folklore, well it was such an oddity, the basic gameplay was actually quite good and a lot of people enjoyed it. But, they cut too many corners with the story and presentation that it lost whatever impact it could have had. If they just held it back to polish, focused on one character (with only short stints as other characters at set points), and upped the presentation with voice overs, proper cutscenes, etc... it would have been reviewed and sold a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Fallout 3 is an RPG?

All the screens I've seen make it appear to be a shooter.

Maybe it's one a them newfangled shootin' pseudo-RPGs like Mass Effect?[/quote]

yepp, the fallout series is one of those classic CRPGs from the 90s.

Enchanted Arms is supposedly better than it's 360 counterpart; see if your local CC still has one for $16.96.
There's also Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

[quote name='ryanbw']What about Disgaea 3?[/quote]

tmk and others who have it can probably say more, but it's a SRPG if you're into those.

Folklore if fuckING amazing! Buy it immediately! Enchanted Arms is complete garbage, and isn't worth your time. Disgaea 3 is getting very bad reviews.... err, for a Disgaea game :)

Seriously Methadon.... how would Enchanted Arms be better than it's 360 counterpart? Why do YOU play an RPG? Yah, you're filthy.

[quote name='drone8888']Folklore if fuckING amazing! Buy it immediately! Enchanted Arms is complete garbage, and isn't worth your time. Disgaea 3 is getting very bad reviews.... err, for a Disgaea game :)

Seriously Methadon.... how would Enchanted Arms be better than it's 360 counterpart? Why do YOU play an RPG? Yah, you're filthy.[/quote]

According to several reviews, the game is more polished on the PS3, as is Oblivion.

[quote name='hone']yepp, the fallout series is one of those classic CRPGs from the 90s.[/QUOTE]

I know the SERIES is. But I see preview videos for Fallout 3 and see another fucking FPS.

Well I can't justify buying a 360 just yet. If there is something in the RPG genre that is an absolute must play then I may do so. But I don't think there is.

[quote name='mykevermin']I know the SERIES is. But I see preview videos for Fallout 3 and see another fucking FPS.[/quote]

I remember the videos from e3 the devs said you can either play it in real time as a shooter or turn based like the classic fallout games.

White Knight Chronicles is hitting Japan on Christmas and will be available in some form at TGS, though they haven't stated if it will be playable or not.

[quote name='ryanbw']Well I can't justify buying a 360 just yet. If there is something in the RPG genre that is an absolute must play then I may do so. But I don't think there is.[/quote]

• Blue Dragon
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Mass Effect (if you like that kind of RPG)
Just to name a few...

[quote name='Methadon']
  • Blue Dragon
  • Eternal Sonata
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Infinite Undiscovery
  • Mass Effect (if you like that kind of RPG)
Just to name a few...[/quote]

I'm not a naysayer, since I just bought a 360 (mainly for Tales of Vesperia) to go with my PS3, but isn't Eternal Sonata coming out for the PS3 too?

And I think the existence of Blue Dragon is a moot point.

[quote name='hone']I remember the videos from e3 the devs said you can either play it in real time as a shooter or turn based like the classic fallout games.[/quote]

Sorta kinda.

Check out www.prepareforthefuture.com, or Bethesda's site, or just google "fallout 3 V.A.T.S."

I'm drooling for this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back