RUMOR ALERT: Walmart trying to blackmail MS into giving them more 360's

chickenhawk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
162 (100%)
I was in EB today and the guy there told me he had heard a rumor that Walmart was trying to blackmail Microsoft into giving them a larger allottment of launch 360's. He was saying that Walmart said if they don't get more than they will cease carrying MS products. I would be suprised if this were true, but you never know....anyone else hear anything like this.

If this has been posted, crucify me and lock her up or delete it...my sincere apologies. I did search.

Underhanded Wal-Mart tactics do not surprise me.

But also, neither does the stupidity and ignorance of EBGames employees.

I'm going to go ahead and chalk the statement up to the latter.

the only other place I've seen this rumor was on gamefaqs. it's amazing how many times the people at EB and GS tell me rumors that originate from there and gamedreamz.

otoh, wal-mart are bunch of punk-ass biatches and this wouldn't surprise me a bit.

[quote name='tearofangst']omg a magical donkey told me the 360 is made of cheese, omg i wouldn't be surprised if this is true[/QUOTE]

Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. I stated in my post that I doubt it were true, but just thought I'd share. Shoot me!

Even if true, it's a battle of whose got more money to throw around and both have a lot so I'd say it's even money... though I think the scale slighty tips in M$'s favor.

Cease carrying MS products? I call bullshit. Far too many MS products that sell very well to boycott them.

[quote name='Wombat']wouldnt this be extortion, not blackmail? and nothing Walmart does surprises me[/QUOTE]

I suppose it would....close enough.

Walmart does this shit all the time. The most notable instance is that a company will go to Walmart and want their product in the store (understandable). Walmart says "Ok, we'll carry it, but we think you are charging too much, we are going to sell it at a lower price and further, we are going to buy it from YOU for a much lower price." The manufacturer at this point is kind of fucked because they want to be in the largest retailer in America. Hence, they get much lower profits and/or have to make shittier merchandise.

[quote name='chickenhawk']Hey man, don't shoot the messenger. I stated in my post that I doubt it were true, but just thought I'd share. Shoot me![/QUOTE]

i'm sorry, i just overdosed on cheap after halloween candy :cry:

i just dont see how this is true. and to be honest, i dont think MS would care if walmart stopped carrying their stuff because it would still be sold at target, best buy, good guys, circuit city, toys r us, independent stores, office max, frys, shoot i think even longs drugs has microsoft mice

[quote name='tearofangst']i'm sorry, i just overdosed on cheap after halloween candy :cry:[/QUOTE]

No biggie.....I am sure I have done that to people too from time to time. ;)

[quote name='iheartmetal']i just dont see how this is true. and to be honest, i dont think MS would care if walmart stopped carrying their stuff because it would still be sold at target, best buy, good guys, circuit city, toys r us, independent stores, office max, frys, shoot i think even longs drugs has microsoft mice[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much my take on it. Walmart is damn big though and I am sure MS would lose some sales if they didn't carry it. On the flip side, Walmart would lose too, especially in software sales (and other MS studd) so I don't see the point in this if it were true.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Walmart does this shit all the time. The most notable instance is that a company will go to Walmart and want their product in the store (understandable). Walmart says "Ok, we'll carry it, but we think you are charging too much, we are going to sell it at a lower price and further, we are going to buy it from YOU for a much lower price." The manufacturer at this point is kind of fucked because they want to be in the largest retailer in America. Hence, they get much lower profits and/or have to make shittier merchandise.[/QUOTE]

The Amish speaks the truth. Though I doubt Microsoft will kneel to the Wall if this is true.

[quote name='chickenhawk']I was in EB today and the guy there told me he had heard a rumor that Walmart was trying to blackmail Microsoft into giving them a larger allottment of launch 360's.[/QUOTE]

Certain EB employees feel the need to justify why they will be sold out of X360's on launch day and bigger stores have plenty. When they realise they don't have a good explanation, they will just make one up.

[quote name='mEnTL32']Certain EB employees feel the need to justify why they will be sold out of X360's on launch day and bigger stores have plenty. When they realise they don't have a good explanation, they will just make one up.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think this rumor followed something about him only getting in 41 360's on launch day. He then went on to say that it'll suck if that number gets cut in half because of Walmart.

[quote name='iheartmetal']i just dont see how this is true. and to be honest, i dont think MS would care if walmart stopped carrying their stuff because it would still be sold at target, best buy, good guys, circuit city, toys r us, independent stores, office max, frys, shoot i think even longs drugs has microsoft mice[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart sells more games than any other place. I think they own at least 33% of the whole market in sales.

bread's done
Back