Rumor: Gamestop Being Bought?

It unlikely that amazon would ever buy any major brick and mortal retailer since that would create a taxable "nexus" in multiple states and that would require them to charge sales taxes in many more states than they do now and that would destroy one of their competitive advantages over many other retailers. Now could they invest in some company...sure, but buy outright...unlikely

Plus, isn't Gamestop a really risky business in a way? It's so dependent on just one industry, that's constantly in a state of flux.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Plus, isn't Gamestop a really risky business in a way? It's so dependent on just one industry, that's constantly in a state of flux.[/quote]

Well there is a "MovieStop" opening up next to a new GameStop near me. I assume it is a GameStop for DVDs. I had never seen one before so it was new to me. Guess they are braching out somewhat.

Also, the videogames industry hasn't been in more of a state of flux than any other entertainment industry. Videogame sales and profits keep increasing each year.

It would be an expensive time to buy, the stock is near an all-time high and it's only been a few years since they were spun from barnes and nobles.

I would like to see it though, amazon has better customer service, and does a better job of describing the used goods it sells (as an intermediary).

Yeah, but there's online distribution (which I'm against, because so far you don't actually own the games you "buy".

I haven't heard of Moviestop either!

Barnes & Noble owned Gamestop? I know it was going out of business maybe 10 years back, and it must have been picked up then?

that would be awesome if Amazon bought it. They seem to be very smart and competitive with their game pricing.

Couldn't be any worse. And generally Amazon has pretty good customer service. The founder ( I forget his name ) always seemed like a decent guy whenever I saw him being interviewed.

I doubt this will happen, but it would only be a positive if it did.

I'm kind of mixed. I use to really like EB, but once they merged with Gamestop, I don't really like them anymore (especially with the stupid 7 day return policy). If someone can make Gamestop better, I'm all for the buyout. If not, then I don't want it to happen. Regardless, I'll still be forced to go there to buy niche games.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Regardless, I'll still be forced to go there to buy niche games.[/QUOTE]
Like the PS3 library?

ZING!

[quote name='plastikpyro']Lt. Dan...Ice cream![/QUOTE]

you have no idea how I almost fell out of my chair laughing at what you just said.. when I read it, I actually heard Gump in my head saying that line.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No, I'm talking about Atlus, NIS, etc. stuff.[/quote]
zewone was right. ZING~!

Flew right over your head there. :roll:

Enjoy paying high prices once Atlus games vanish after their first 20 printed copies of each game go out the doors.

On topic, though, it'd be nice if Amazon did buy GameStop. Could you guys imagine it? DEAL OF THE DAY AT GAMESTOP! :rofl:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No, I'm talking about Atlus, NIS, etc. stuff.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you sure can tell a joke when one is made.*

*I hope to god you know what sarcasm is.

Why would the worlds largest videogame software retailer put itself up for sale? When you are on top, the only place to go is down. Why change that?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Why would the worlds largest videogame software retailer put itself up for sale? When you are on top, the only place to go is down. Why change that?[/QUOTE]
Satan finally placed his earthly bid?

[quote name='whitereflection']And what competition does Gamestop have now?[/QUOTE]

Walmart? I dunno.

Everyone competes against the mart of doom.

Was talking about Amazon's competition with other game retailers. Plus you can find some rare games every now and then at GS when you can only buy them from resellers on Amazon.

[quote name='vilhaim']Was talking about Amazon's competition with other game retailers. Plus you can find some rare games every now and then at GS when you can only buy them from resellers on Amazon.[/quote]

Yeah but amazon doesnt sell used games so there is no change to competition.

[quote name='vilhaim']I hope the buy out doesn't happen because competition keeps prices low. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]
Gamestop's prices are low? They're always MSRP.

[quote name='whitereflection']And what competition does Gamestop have now?[/QUOTE]

GameCrazy and (to a lesser extent) BlockBuster/GameRush are the only ones I can think. I think I remember hearing about some BestBuys testing used games but that was a long time ago.

I really do hope someone like Google or Amazon buys out GS/EB. Google would probably have some crazy incentives like... $10 off any $30 order for 'first' time customers.;)

[quote name='Vinny']GameCrazy and (to a lesser extent) BlockBuster/GameRush are the only ones I can think. I think I remember hearing about some BestBuys testing used games but that was a long time ago.

I really do hope someone like Google or Amazon buys out GS/EB. Google would probably have some crazy incentives like... $10 off any $30 order for 'first' time customers.;)[/QUOTE]
GameRush was purchased by Gamestop.

Always MSRP except when they charge $5 extra for quite a few DS games.

Competition would be about the used prices. First thing they did when they merged with EB is jack the hell out of their used game prices.

[quote name='Vinny']GameCrazy and (to a lesser extent) BlockBuster/GameRush are the only ones I can think.[/quote]
Yeah, on the west coast. There's no competition anywhere else considering GameStop either bought them out or drove 'em away.

why do I get the feeling it would be like rallying a coup against Hitler and getting Saddam as your new president?

[quote name='robbyH']why do I get the feeling it would be like rallying a coup against Hitler and getting Saddam as your new president?[/QUOTE]

well, technically that would be a step up...

[quote name='Tsukento']Yeah, on the west coast. There's no competition anywhere else considering GameStop either bought them out or drove 'em away.[/quote]

Actually, this is an interesting issue. There's a chain in my state that's apparently doing well enough to not only survive against GameStop, but move a store into a mall that houses one. Not only that, but this chain apparently does quite well selling retro titles going back to the NES. Genesis, SNES, and even GameGear games have prominent store space in the one store i visited. There are some issues i'm trying to investigate as far as the pricing of their games goes, but it is possible to compete.

The thing is, they also have decent selections of used CDs, vinyl, and DVDs, which except for vinyl, GameStop once tried carrying but stopped. The entire problem with GameStop isn't that retro isn't profitable or whatever, i suspect, but that some dimwitted corporate psychopath there doesn't want them to be, sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Therefore, it's an issue with the higher-ups being cunts. They have an amazingly short-sighted view of things, which to me goes right in with jacking up the company's stock price right before selling it. The problem with that is that the really high-level people at GameStop have been there through a few changeovers already, so being sold to anyone isn't likely to change much unless the buyer weeds them the fuck out.

bread's done
Back