[Rumor] Microsoft may acquire Electronic Arts

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Just like the Best Buy buying Gamestop rumor thread, this one would make me jump for joy too. Aside from the next Mercenaries(if there is one), I never usually buy any shit that EA puts out anyway, so I'm all for this.

I hope MS can pull this off somehow, since at least then maybe Sony will end up only getting stuff from the better devs. The crap EA puts out most times is barely one step above shovelware.[/QUOTE]

Dead Space wasn't shovelware dumbshit.

Just because you haven't played them, or are too closed-minded to play them, doesn't mean that they're not worthwhile.

I really don't see it happening, even though it would be an incredible blow to Sony. Having Madden and the other EA sports games exclusively on the 360 would destroy the PS3 in America. This is so contrary to the direction they've been going, where they've dropped almost all of their internal development studios. My guess is this rumor was started by a stock market speculator hoping to profit on the short term stock price bump.

[quote name='manthing']Dead Space wasn't shovelware dumbshit.[/QUOTE]

It was to me since it was yet another FPS, but with survival horror-esque elements thrown in.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Excuse me. I apologize, but third person or first person, it was yet another blah shooter.

We have too many of them on the ShooterStation 3 as it is.[/QUOTE]

Crappy comment. How many shooters does X marks the spot box have?

A more appropriate comment is ; to many f'n shooters in general.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It's just another shooter to me. I'm a bit sick of them, though I DO like the ones in the third person sandbox style(ala GTA and Mercenaries).[/QUOTE]
You should really try Dead Space- it was exceptional.
Definitely not a shooter.

As far as third-person survival horror goes:
It makes the last few REs look like someone else's used toilet paper stuck on the bottom of you shoe.

I'm not exaggerating.
I played it through three times.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I actually wanted to, but some jackoff bought up the 20 or so copies of this game from my local Target before it could hit $7.48.[/QUOTE]

So you just spent like the last 5 posts bashing a game you haven't played? Not only that but you bashed it because you resent that someone bought all the copies from Target when it was on clearance?

If you've played one first or third person shooter, you've pretty much played them all. Very little really changes from game to game in these type of games. As for the survival horror aspect of it, h3llbring3r, I always preferred Silent Hill to RE.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If you've played one first or third person shooter, you've pretty much played them all. Very little really changes from game to game in these type of games. As for the survival horror aspect of it, h3llbring3r, I always preferred Silent Hill to RE.[/QUOTE]

Well, yes and no. Many are certainly knock-offs of one another with no originality, but the better of the genre are very different. For example, Crackdown is a third-person shooter (basically) and plays nothing like Resident Evil.

I meant no offense by my comments, but to me many of these games just seem like clones of one another with 'good guy vs alien or other cliched enemy types' as the usual story.

It gets more than a bit redundant.

I just wish Crackdown could somehow come to the PS3, since I wanted to play that and Dead Rising, but I'm not about to buy a 360 just for 2 games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I meant no offense by my comments, but to me many of these games just seem like clones of one another with 'good guy vs alien or other cliched enemy types' as the usual story.

It gets more than a bit redundant.

I just wish Crackdown could somehow come to the PS3, since I wanted to play that and Dead Rising, but I'm not about to buy a 360 just for 2 games.[/QUOTE]

You make no fucking sense...you generalize a category of games (which you can do with ANYTHING) and then wish for Crackdown on PS3? Seriously, why do you play games? Just so you can bitch about them?

Because Crackdown was more of a sandbox title than a dedicated shooter, wasn't it? I prefer the sandbox titles more. Every game I've played of the shooter genre this gen has seemed like a clone of each other.

I mean, sure, you can add the ability to drive around in vehicles for some small parts of it and other miniscule differences, but it comes down to most shooters being the same ol' shit every time.

I am all for this happening, however, I don't think it ever will. Sure Microsoft could make all of EA's games exclusives for the 360 and whatever console they put out next OR they could leave a majority of the titles multi-platform and still profit off the sales of software to a competitor. If they could have enough exclusive system selling games then it would make sense to keep the games exclusive but I think it might be more profitable to leave them multi-platform except the best of the best. Also, it would negate the monopolization aspect so many want to bring up. Simply put, it would just be a re-naming of EA or EA would just have a parent company.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Because Crackdown was more of a sandbox title than a dedicated shooter, wasn't it? I prefer the sandbox titles more. Every game I've played of the shooter genre this gen has seemed like a clone of each other.

I mean, sure, you can add the ability to drive around in vehicles for some small parts of it and other miniscule differences, but it comes down to most shooters being the same ol' shit every time.[/QUOTE]

Every sandbox game is the same. GTAIV sucked. Mercenaries 2 sucked. Far Cry 2 sucked ass.

[quote name='Malik112099']Every sandbox game is the same. GTAIV sucked. Mercenaries 2 sucked. Far Cry 2 sucked ass.[/QUOTE]

Actually, now that I think about it every game in the last couple of gens have been clones of clones of clones. There hasn't been a truly groundbreaking IP in forever if you ask me.

But you have your opinions and I have mine. And mine is that all shooters are essentially the same.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']But you have your opinions and I have mine. And mine is that all shooters are essentially the same.[/QUOTE]

So,

Dead Space = Halo = Call of Duty = Gears of War = Killzone = Resistance = STALKER = Mass Effect = Bioshock = Half Life = GoldenEye = Wolfenstein = Doom = Unreal = GRAW = Rainbow Six = Deus Ex = Crysis = Far Cry = Metroid = Max Payne = Army of Two = Kane & Lynch = Stranglehold = Duke Nukem = Medal of Honor = FEAR = Quake = Turok = Hour of Victory = Area 51?

What in the fuck is wrong with you?

Damn straight. Mind you some may have a different play mechanic here or there, but for the most part they're all some cliched crap as far as storyline goes and that's if there even IS a storyline.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']The NFL license specifically states that their games must be available on all platforms, so Madden would either have to be released on PS3/Wii, or the license would have to be restructured to allow another developer to create an NFL game for the other consoles.[/QUOTE]

If this is true and the license gets removed, I am all for a better NFL game. I hate monopolies, but I really don't know what to feel about this situation. It's one monopoly absorbing another monopoly. The license removal would be the hidden gem of the transaction.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] As for the survival horror aspect of it, h3llbring3r, I always preferred Silent Hill to RE.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, D.S. is also exceedingly better than the S.H. series.

I highly recommend you play it.

The story and characters in it alone are fascinating (the unapologetically profit driven corporation, fanatical unitologist cult, and military all posing as rival factions working against you for control of an alien artifact and it's horrific effects on both you and the crew).

The puzzles and challenges go far beyond either the SH or RE series. If you can imagine some of the good qualities of Bioshock in terms of narrative, light RPG elements (inventory and upgrades) and graphics combined with the sense of dread/fear and characters of a solid great survival horror game make it (as I said before) exceptional.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Fair enough, D.S. is also exceedingly better than the S.H. series.

I highly recommend you play it.

The story and characters in it alone are fascinating (the unapologetically profit driven corporation, fanatical unitologist cult, and military all posing as rival factions working against you for control of an alien artifact and it's horrific effects on both you and the crew).

The puzzles and challenges go far beyond either the SH or RE series. If you can imagine some of the good qualities of Bioshock in terms of narrative, light RPG elements (inventory and upgrades) and graphics combined with the sense of dread/fear and characters of a solid great survival horror game make it (as I said before) exceptional.[/QUOTE]

While it sounds interesting, I know I wouldn't pay over $7 or so for it, since it would just be another game in my backlog. :cry: Of course, if not for joining CAG, I wouldn't even be able to say I HAVE a backlog. :D

Mind you, the one title I was anxiously waiting for was either a remake of the original Suffering game from PS2/Xbox or an all new Suffering game. However, since Midway went bankrupt I sincerely doubt we will see another game in that series EVER, unless whoever bought the studio that was in charge of it decides to resurrect the series.

That's a game(Fallout 3) that I couldn't stand at all. I traded my one buddy like 3 games from the HWV $5 sale for his copy of FO3, figuring if I had more time with it I might grow to like it.

I was wrong.

I couldn't stand either FO3 or Oblivion and both games were ones my buddy put hundreds of hours into.

I loved morrowind. It was the shit when it came out, but I too could not get into Oblivion. Maybe I was expecting more, but as much beauty as it had, it had a bland environment and just didn't take me for the ride morrowind did. I wish they remade morrowind, with oblivion's graphics and fighting revamp and I'd be happy. :p

FO3 was overrated imho. It was one of 2008's best (not saying too much really), but I wasn't in love with it. I did enjoy it though, but I couldn't get why everyone praised it so much to be honest.

I was the other way around. I thought I'd hate Oblivion, and ended up putting about 150 hours into it. Now that I picked up GOTY from Gamestop's last B2G1 deal I'll probably pour another 50 plus into it. Believe it or not, I'm doubting I'll like Fallout, because I'm more of a sword and magic guy than a gun guy.

I don't know what to make of the rumored EA/MS merger. Don't play current sports titles often (I've only ever had two; Major League 2k7 and MLB 09), as I typically do the dynasty sim stuff and don't need the brand new game with which to do it. So I won't need another Madden for a couple of years. That said, GameDay fell off a cliff after '98 or so on PS1, so I'm not thrilled about Sony potentially making football games again.

I am going to give Oblivion another try here soon. Also, excited to get FO3's GOTY disc with all expansions. (Not buying any of them individually).

More on topic. My feelings are:
If MS were to merge with EA, I don't think they'd "stop" all games on other platforms. Hell, I know EA are way too greedy to not even think about doing that. MS may pay them well, but I doubt it'd be enough from all future sales they'd lose on.

Instead, I think it will be just more 360/PC exclusives, DLC, and maybe faster release dates for 360 owners, from third party games.
You'll also see MS's bigass name whenever you see EA's.

It'd be a little surprising if it all went through I suppose, but I think Activision and Blizzard was more surprising than this was.
Ms tries to put their paws on everyone, so, this shouldn't be a shocker to anyone.
I honestly think it's all a rumor though, or maybe MS tried at one time, probably recently, got shot down, news spread, and they're just denying it.

I couldn't care less, either way.

Besides The Orange Box, I haven't bought an EA published game in years; so I could care less. The crappy part is that it would probably be a big blow to Sony.

I think the biggest doomsday news would be if MS bought Nintendo. That would be a sad day.

[quote name='TheStoneAgeKing']I am going to give Oblivion another try here soon.[/QUOTE]If I might make a suggestion?

Install the unofficial patches. Install the mod manager. Install the script extender. Then mod the everloving fuck out of that game.

[quote name='jh6269']Besides The Orange Box, I haven't bought an EA published game in years; so I could care less. The crappy part is that it would probably be a big blow to Sony.

I think the biggest doomsday news would be if MS bought Nintendo. That would be a sad day.[/QUOTE]
So you do care somewhat. :lol:

If Microsoft bought EA, I don't think we would see the hugely popular franchises like Madden go exclusive. I think there is more money to be had selling software rather than trying to get people to buy more hardware.

[quote name='yukine']So you do care somewhat. :lol:

If Microsoft bought EA, I don't think we would see the hugely popular franchises like Madden go exclusive. I think there is more money to be had selling software rather than trying to get people to buy more hardware.[/QUOTE]

Ok ok, let me clarify, I don't care about the potential loss of EA games on Nintendo and Sony platforms. But I do care about the potential effects on the industry itself.

As others have pointed out, Madden and NFL have contractual obligations that probably would keep Madden games on all consoles. However I doubt MS would put anything else from EA on their direct competitor's machines.

That's a given, I'm saying that even without the "contractual obligations" that I don't think Microsoft/EA would make those franchises Microsoft console exclusives. These companies have investors to answer to, and I'm pretty sure those investors would rather have them selling more EA software, rather than Microsoft hardware since that is where the money is typically made.

This is all speculative of course, we'll have to wait and see what happens if this even comes to fruition in the first place. I have to admit it's still interesting to think about though.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's a game(Fallout 3) that I couldn't stand at all. I traded my one buddy like 3 games from the HWV $5 sale for his copy of FO3, figuring if I had more time with it I might grow to like it.

I was wrong.

I couldn't stand either FO3 or Oblivion and both games were ones my buddy put hundreds of hours into.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity what was the deal with liking Demon Souls and not oblivion? I have not finished a Elder Scrolls game in some time, but always liked them.

EA has been rumored to come out with their own console in the past as well... almost a Nintendo sized company.. Wonder if its something along those lines? Interesting to see where this would go.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']Out of curiosity what was the deal with liking Demon Souls and not oblivion? I have not finished a Elder Scrolls game in some time, but always liked them.[/QUOTE]

You're not the first person to ask me this and honestly, I contribute my dislike of Oblivion to the fact that everyone/everything levels up with you. I haven't run into that as of yet with Demon's Souls, but then again I haven't made it off of the first level yet. I kind of give this game a chance in spurts, the last of which was 2 weeks ago, so I'm due to give it another shot again soon.

It just sucks having such a backlog of good games(Batman: Arkham Asylum, Ghostbusters, Red Faction:Guerrilla, Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction and so on)and yet I keep going back to one I claim to really dislike the controls for this gen(GTAIV).

The only reason I'm considering this is to sell for a profit or trade here for something great. It seems like it's going to be a collector's item.

Trust me, if the import version didn't get almost any bites in nearly two months on my TL, I'm not so sure the US version will.

Chances are the market WILL be flooded with copies of this game once people realize how absurdly hard this title is. Once that happens, I'll be there to scoop up a copy of the guide, so I can finally play through my import copy.

bread's done
Back