Rumor: New Jet Set Radio on Wii?

EXStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Kotaku

Is Sega dipping into the well of Dreamcast franchises again? That's what we heard from friendlier folks at Comic-Con last week, specifically that the publisher was planning on bringing back one of its more beloved franchises, Jet Grind Radio. After outings on the Dreamcast and Xbox, we haven't seen anything of the futuristic inline-skater since 2003's Jet Set Radio for the Game Boy Advance.

We were overly excited to hear a rumor that Sega was planning on reintroducing the series, this time on the Wii.

Sure, that may conjure up less than appealing Wii Remote waggling during tagging and inline skate attachments, but we'd be thrilled to take whatever we can get. Just give us cel-shaded graphics, an awesome soundtrack and Wii MotionPlus support, Sega, and we'll love you forever.

Sega's recently filed trademark, dated July 24, 2008 and separate from the original, Dreamcast era trademark, certainly has us thinking that a Jet Grind Radio update is more likely.

In addition to the typical "video game software" goods and services applied for, the new trademark adds things like "downloadable game programs", "game programs for use with mobile phones", and "game programs for use with hand-held game machines."

Hopefully that translates to a broader scope than just the Wii.

After all, Sega president Simon Jeffery did say that the iPhone, not the Wii or Xbox 360, was the new Dreamcast.
Shit just got real.

This is good. They need to get into gear for that Shenmue collection on Wii. Unless that was a complete fabrication, in which case they need to go ahead and start making it.

Interesting. JSR would be perfect on Wii.

And while Sega's reviving old franchises, maybe they could release some form of ChuChu Rocket on WiiWare? Please?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Dreamcast franchises? Space Channel 5 Part 3 on Wii, come on...[/QUOTE]

I want that game to be made badly...but not with motion controls.

[quote name='whoknows']I want that game to be made badly...but not with motion controls.[/quote]Motion controls would be sweet. Swing the remote up, down, left, or right instead of just hitting the D-pad... how would that not be fun?

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Seems kinda pointless then, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

I meant I want Space Channel 5 pt 3 to be made...not specifically for the Wii though.

[quote name='blueshinra']Interesting. JSR would be perfect on Wii.

And while Sega's reviving old franchises, maybe they could release some form of ChuChu Rocket on WiiWare? Please?[/QUOTE]

That would be PERFECT for wiiware. Dammit, now I have to drag out my DC thanks to you ;)

But on topic: I love JSR but I REALLY hope they bring back the spray mechanics from the original, as Future's dumbing down of the spraying really pissed me off and took a lot out of the game.

Personally, I don't understand why Sega hasn't gottten Panzer Dragoon on the Wii yet. Nunchuk flying + Wii remote pointer shooting = TOTAL AWESOME.

[quote name='whoknows']I meant I want Space Channel 5 pt 3 to be made...not specifically for the Wii though.[/QUOTE]
Cry moar. ;)

--R.J.

Anyone for Wii Fit Board support? I am. Really, I'll buy anything with Wii Fit Board support. Something.....anything....please ?

Seriously, for JG/SRWii they could have an outline of tags you spray with the wiimote (pull trigger and aim--perfect!). Lots of great gameplay features that would seriously mesh well with Wii motion controls. WiiFit board control would be a huge plus too.

[quote name='Chacrana']Spraying with the inaccurate Wii-mote in a game that's about speed? I don't think so.[/quote]
That's very easy to handle in software wrt precision. The fast back/forward up/down motions would be very easy to detect, and need not be overly precise. And heck, you can always add compatibility with the improved wiimote motion sensor add-on. It's the whole "perform the rl motion with the controllers" aspect that attracts me.

[quote name='Chacrana']Spraying with the inaccurate Wii-mote in a game that's about speed? I don't think so.[/quote]

I'm thinking more like Mortal Kombat on the Wii, where you would do quarter circle back, quarter circle forward, etc. Basically, a general set of gestures depending on the size of the graffiti.

You can make the analog on the nunchuku be used for skating, A button for jumping, and you hold down the B button and do the aformentioned motions to spray.

[quote name='yukine']I'm thinking more like Mortal Kombat on the Wii, where you would do quarter circle back, quarter circle forward, etc. Basically, a general set of gestures depending on the size of the graffiti.

You can make the analog on the nunchuku be used for skating, A button for jumping, and you hold down the B button and do the aformentioned motions to spray.[/quote]

No, no, no. I'd rather have the tags outlined, say, with different thicknesses of dashed lines. 'Paint' the darkest areas first by direct aim-and-spray using the wiimote and trigger, then the next-darkest areas, etc. until the tag is done. These simulated spraypainting motions are *much* better than generic "gestures" imo.

I really, really, really hope this is true. Although, I hope they tone it down to the style in Jet Grind Radio. Jet Set Radio took it a little over the top. Still both games were great. JGR is one of my favorite games of all time.

[quote name='DrMoze']No, no, no. I'd rather have the tags outlined, say, with different thicknesses of dashed lines. 'Paint' the darkest areas first by direct aim-and-spray using the wiimote and trigger, then the next-darkest areas, etc. until the tag is done. These simulated spraypainting motions are *much* better than generic "gestures" imo.[/quote]

Couldn't it be both? I was thinking about the tags you have to make while in motion.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Motion controls would be sweet. Swing the remote up, down, left, or right instead of just hitting the D-pad... how would that not be fun?[/QUOTE]

Off topic:
While not a full sequel, one of the games on Sega Superstars (Eyetoy PS2 game) is Space Channel 5. You play by waving your arms along with Ulala. I'd imagine a Wii version wouldn't be much different. If you already have an Eyetoy, you could get the game alone at Gamestop for $3.99 used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumored concept art (looks fucking cool):

medium_2721428706_2dfcbe88cc_o.jpg

Although, apparently, this particular JGR pitch was shot down. Taken from Kotaku:

Cory "Rey" Lewis wrote in March that "Unfortunately, the JGR pitch didn't take" but we haven't heard back from him on requests to clarify whether that meant this particular direction didn't take or that the project was scrapped or handed off to another developer.

Here's to hoping.

Sega is supposed to reveal a new Wii game tomorrow. Time to get your hopes up...
...and then have them get dashed?

--R.J.

Did all of you guys buy JSRF for Xbox? I don't remember that game doing well, but with all the praise in here, I could be wrong. (Then again, it was a pack-in at one time...)

I actually couldn't get into that one (JSRF), even though I played a crapton of JGR on my DC.

[quote name='yukine']It came with my Xbox, but I would of if it didn't.

I loved JSRF.[/QUOTE]

I got my Jet Set Radio with MY Xbox too :)
We have so much in common :bouncy:

I never owned a Xbox, which is why I'm glad its BC.

Unfortunately, that also means I bought JSRF used, after the fact.

And you can replace Xbox with Dreamcast, JSRF with JGR. But I never bought JGR =(

If it's true, I bet it'll end up sucking. So even if it is announced I won't care, and this is coming from a huge JGR fan as you can see by the avatar over to your left.

An updated port of JGR with Wii graphics and maybe some nifty wiimote/motion spraying action would be nice, but I doubt the current Sega could even handle that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sega's Wii games don't have a good track record, but I should remain positive. I played the hell out of both JGR & JSRF and rumors of a new JSR are welcomed.

I actually enjoyed Future more than the orginal one. That game had some insane rail grinding. Plus I liked the music more and the characters designs looked better.

[quote name='Rodimus']
I actually enjoyed Future more than the orginal one. That game had some insane rail grinding. Plus I liked the music more and the characters designs looked better.[/quote]

Really? I thought they took the character designs way over the top in JSRF. To each his own, I guess. I usually like to keep it simple. They were definitely still cool, though.

But anyway, I loved both games; so I'm praying that, if this does turn out to be true, they don't fuck it up. I don't think my mind can grasp the concept of a bad Jet Set/Grind Radio game.

bread's done
Back