[Rumor] Price Drop SOON: Sony PS4 Console $349, PS Vita $89

so will this thread get moved back to deals if the Vita does go to $89??

Also, if I have an OLED & PStv activated on my PSN/SEN account, can I get a slim and use it as well with no problems? or Is 2 units still the max on any account?
PS TV counts as a Vita for activation, and you can only have 2 active Vitas at any given time.

after going through 2 vita consoles already and junking them because i didnt have interest and was blazing through games on the console, i would grab another one if the actual price point is 89. then i could finish gravity rush, both soul sacrifice games, and the neptunia line.
ill cross my fingers and hope, but i dont imagine this is going to happen anytime soon?
I don't think it's possible to beat all the Neptunia games. It feels like a new one is out every other day.

UPDATE! The on.playstation site has updated the terms of the promotion and it now states that the PS4 is $399.00 and the Vita is $199.00

CLAkGlp.png

I'm going to say no way ... I could see them dropping it to $100 to clear stock if the Vita was completely dead and Sony acknowledged they weren't producing any more. But a new official MSRP of $90 just seems weird ... that's not a normal price for most consoles, they tend to stick with $99 or $149 type pricing models.

The PS4 price drop seems feasible and is the reason I'm waiting until after E3 to grab one. Granted, I'd like an LE console, so I'll likely have to pay more anyway.

Not really a deal, you can currently find $350 ps4s for brand new already. I bought the last of us bundle ps4 recently from a guy on craigslist for $285 new.

I kind of want a PS TV bundle with a PS4 controller for $90.  The kicker, a USB data port for external hard drives.

Edit:  I'll throw in an extra $10, making the price $100 if it has a UMD drive built-in.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is true, I would gladly pick up a vita for that price. $89 is crazy cheap. I wonder if they're going to stop supporting vita soon. 

UPDATE! The on.playstation site has updated the terms of the promotion and it now states that the PS4 is $399.00 and the Vita is $199.00

CLAkGlp.png
Disappointing, but expected. Although - and I'm not gonna hold my breath on this one - I suppose it's possible they just changed it to suppress the "leak."

Plausible only because of the high priced memory cards. That and lowering the cost of entry might be the systems last chance to finally enjoy some success like the PSP had.  There just aren't enough people with Vita's to buy games to make the thing all that profitable for Sony. 

Would buy a 2nd Vita at the price.  That's nice.

The PSTV should never be more than $50.  The VITA should be able to do TV out.  My $70 Windows tablet has a MicroHDMI.  If it had the functionality of the PSTV from the start it would have done much better.

Also the PSTV is not a Vita substitute.  The best games for Vita don't  work.  It's a remote play, Ps1/PSP machine.

How the hell are you even supposed to hold the vita? Anytime I try to do anything I have to grip it harder which moves my fingers around from where they need to be. My pinkies end up in the loop things at the bottom and don't feel great. The analog sticks feel like poopie and I have to depress the left trigger pretty hard to make sure it actually works. Which depresses me. Maybe it's just Killzone: Mercenary that sucks control wise?

Why are people buying a 2nd Vita if this price drop is true? You can't play more than one at a time and with it being portable it's not like you need one for home and one for work.

Why are people buying a 2nd Vita if this price drop is true? You can't play more than one at a time and with it being portable it's not like you need one for home and one for work.
Original PSP's on Ebay are generally ~$130

I have two gamecubes / a backwards compatible wii and a WiiU

At least one ps1 (somewhere) / two ps2s / and a backwards compatible ps3

Original PSP's on Ebay are generally ~$130
I have two gamecubes / a backwards compatible wii and a WiiU
At least one ps1 (somewhere) / two ps2s / and a backwards compatible ps3
Are you trying to say you'd be purchasing an extra one ad an investment? Surely there are better, safer options that would yield a better return on your money. The PSP only sells for that much because it has been hacked and can run emulators, etc.

Incredible vita price...but with this price, does it mean vita business is about winding up..?

Until we have confirmation from Sony, this is just speculation. At the same time, it wouldn't particularly surprise me. The Vita has been losing retail traction for some time. A price drop at this juncture would not be unexpected. Likewise, the PS4 has been out for a year and a half, and with Microsoft cutting the Kinect out of the XBox One, a price drop on the PS4 could help them to keep the system competitive.

Either way, a major price reduction like this would most likely be announced at Sony's E3 press conference. Being able to splash those numbers up on the screen in the middle of a big event like that is a sure-fire way to drum up enthusiasm from the crowd, and make waves with major non-gaming news sources. Forbes is going to love something like that. So we are all going to have to wait another week and a half before we know for certain.

A price reduction this large on the Vita hardware could be a signal that Sony is throwing in the towel. Or it could simply be an adjustment of their Vita strategy. And here is another thing to think about. It could be that a new version of the Vita will be announced at E3. If a new Vita model is announced, I would expect it to be focused mainly on boosting the Vita's digital business. To that end, I would expect it to be largely feature-identical to the existing Vita, but to have a substantial amount of built-in flash memory. (I'm thinking no less than 16 Gigs, and 32 would not be unreasonable)

The blasted memory cards are one of the biggest stumbling blocks for the Vita. Offering a version of the system that would make them a largely optional extra would be a good idea. The digital offerings on PSN for the Vita have been great, and along with PSPlus the Vita is a great system for digital purchases. Using it as a way to push digital purchases is a good strategy for Sony. (instead of focusing on retail sales) But for that, they still need the physical system to sell. Price cuts and a memory-bearing redesign are the best strategies I can think of.

2 new PS4 SKU's (CUH-1215A & CUH-1215B) have been FCC certified, 1TB PS4 and a little more power use efficiency.  Fuel for the PS4 price drop rumor.

Okay, that is NOT what I was referring to. That is nothing more than a slight hardware revision, most likely to reduce production costs.

Of course, that is a pretty good indication that Sony has no intention of discontinuing the current PS Vita. If they were preparing to pull the Vita from shelves, a hardware revision would be completely unnecessary. A hardware revision such as this is pretty much business as usual.

I had a vita, but the only games were pretty much arcade games and a whole lot of Japanese import games, which really weren't my style. I thoroughly enjoyed Uncharted: Golden Abyss, but sadly that was it. I ended up selling it off while there was still somewhat of a value in it. Glad I didn't wait.

If the Vita  drops to $90, I will buy a second system. I have the original OLED model, but wouldn't mind having the newer model as well. 

Maybe this is the indication that Sony has finally given up trying to compete in the handheld business. They didn't learn with the PSP and are still learning with the Vita that they just can't do as good as Nintendo who is their main  handheld competitor obviously. Even disregarding Nintendo they just have never been as popular as Sony would have liked them to be and the sales for both systems confirm that. 

Wow $89 is crazy. If that's how much it will cost for a slim I would probably upgrade my OLED model.
OLED or bust traitor.

Navex so Nintendo will not be challenged in giving us shitter hardware? Nintendo 3DS...no OLED? Check. Drastically weaker power to the Vita? Check.

bread's done
Back