Rumor: PSN Subscription Plan Info

J7.

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
VG247 has learnt that Sony is to reveal plans for PSN’s premium services at E3.

According to a highly-placed source, Sony will announce a large-scale monetizing scheme for PSN at the LA show, but we’re assured nothing planned will impact the service’s current free aspects.

A string of features will be revealed, apparently costing “less than £50 per year”.Sony will confirm plans to give all subscribers one free PSN game per month, from a choice of “two to four” every month.“If you work it out, PSN games cost an average of £6-9 each, so over a year you’re basically going to be breaking even,” said our source.

A streaming music application similar to Spotify will be announced in Sony’s press conference on June 15. It’s thought that this can run in the background while playing games.

Rumours that cross-game voice chat is being saved as a paid feature are apparently not true, we were told.“I can tell you now, 100 percent, that that’s not the case,” our man continued.“There’s nothing in the premium package which will gimp regular PSN users.”

The PSN premium services announcement is thought to be a major part of Sony’s E3 conference, which will also heavily feature Move. It’s thought that a PSP2 announcement, for this reason, is unlikely, and will be saved for either gamescom or TGS later this year.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/05/17/premium-psn-plans-for-e3-reveal-to-cost-less-than-50-per-year/

depends on what their "choice" of games will be if they put decent games in there id do it. maybe this is why they stopped giving away free games with qore episodes.

I pay for my (Brazilian) internet already as it is, I would never pay for PSN access....unless Sony gave PS2 software BC as an added feature across ALL PS3 systems with a paid subscription.

Then I would start flipping games to buy the hopefully pre-paid one year PSN cards(like the XBL ones now)at a drastic discount.

Unless they drasticly upgrade their shitty servers then no way in hell. Even then, I get most cross platform titles on 360 and honestly, I dont see any reason to pay for Sonys online service.

If they gave us all the PS1 games to play for FREE and also cross game chat I would pay up to $5 a month but I dont see myself paying for.....

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I pay for my (Brazilian) internet already as it is, I would never pay for PSN access....unless Sony gave PS2 software BC as an added feature across ALL PS3 systems with a paid subscription.

Then I would start flipping games to buy the hopefully pre-paid one year PSN cards(like the XBL ones now)at a drastic discount.[/QUOTE]

You won't be paying for PSN access. This is for added features. If you just want PSN and online play as it is now, you can keep getting that for free.

[quote name='Spyder187']Unless they drasticly upgrade their shitty servers then no way in hell. Even then, I get most cross platform titles on 360 and honestly, I dont see any reason to pay for Sonys online service.[/QUOTE]

You should decide after seeing what they offer. I don't plan on paying for anything, I enjoy it now as it is, for free. But I'll make my decision after actually seeing what the plans contain.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']If they gave us all the PS1 games to play for FREE and also cross game chat I would pay up to $5 a month but I dont see myself paying for.....[/QUOTE]

If you read the OP you will see cross game chat is not going to cost money.

If they do a tv/movie subscription then this will be bought right away. I will watch tv off the PSN forever since I really only watch sports on TV.

Though I do dig the music thing.

If it is anything above XBL's price tag, than it seems pointless... the regular service will be free, so who would that much money for a few features.

If there were more options to what we could choose from for our freebie, like movies or albums (to own, not to rent), I'd be more interested in it. But if all they're going to offer are PSN games... there's the issue of people who already own the good games, so they'll only have the option to buy crappy ones.

I say they just offer the extra features for $20-30.

[quote name='wildcpac']I am sure that the PS1 classics "available" are the trash of the bunch and there is a ton of it.[/QUOTE]

It is not just PS1, it is PSN games. I'm sure there will be some crap, a lot of avg games, and a few great games offered for free each year.

[quote name='Vinny']If it is anything above XBL's price tag, than it seems pointless... the regular service will be free, so who would that much money for a few features.

If there were more options to what we could choose from for our freebie, like movies or albums (to own, not to rent), I'd be more interested in it. But if all they're going to offer are PSN games... there's the issue of people who already own the good games, so they'll only have the option to buy crappy ones.

I say they just offer the extra features for $20-30.[/QUOTE]

All depends on what they offer. If it has the best of the best from this chart and free PSN games I might consider buying it http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/psnpremium.jpg But they gotta deliver because I don't even view Gold on 360 worth it unless a game comes up that I really want to play online and I can get it for $30 or lower.

I for one am kinda excited for more information on this. I realize that I'm probably alone when I say that I would pay $5-$10 a month for some extra features. Maybe improved network performance for those who subscribe(faster downloads etc.) or maybe even something like some friends list improvements like the ability to add more than 100 friends. I know the voice chat stuff is supposed to be free whenever it comes but maybe if they have some success with this premium psn sub plan there will be more of an incentive to get these key features everyone wants out of development.

[quote name='lokizz']do you think they could set up servers with better/enhanced perormance for those who pay?[/QUOTE]

I would think they could do that. Maybe not for some games as the servers wouldn't belong to Sony but I don't see why they couldn't do something like that for the server/network equipment Sony controls.

What server issues have you had? I've never had a problem with the servers they use now. Are you talking downloads or game play.

I'm talking more about downloads. I haven't had any issues with their performance, but it would be cool if they had beefier servers/bandwidth for those who pay to connect to so they have faster access to downloads via the psn store.

Hoping this is true. I use my PS3 more than my 360 these days and the only thing I'm keeping Live around for is the excellent Netflix application (significantly better than the PS3s). Hopefully this will move Xbox to toss in better features for Gold subscribers and make silver a better "free" service.

[quote name='furyk']Hoping this is true. I use my PS3 more than my 360 these days and the only thing I'm keeping Live around for is the excellent Netflix application (significantly better than the PS3s). Hopefully this will move Xbox to toss in better features for Gold subscribers and make silver a better "free" service.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha.

Man some of you guys should do stand up comedy.

Anyhow, this doesn't affect me at all as i will never pay to play online again. However, its a great OPTION for those who would like it. Its also clever on the part of sony, if you look at the breakdown.

60 dollars a year. 1 free game per month. So basically sony is selling 12 5 dollar psn games a year per subscriber. Thats great for the devs who make money per sold, great for gamers who get to try out a lot of different games they wouldnt have, and great for sony who makes more money by offering something other then just the ability to play online for your cash.

Assuming this is all true anyway. I will never pay for it, but im sure a lot of others will.

It all comes down to what type of service(s) they offer. The $50-$60 a year service for the one game a month thing sounds pretty good IF IF IF the games are of quality. I don't want a month where the only games offered to me are ones I've bought. In those situations, you get screwed over a little bit.

$50-$60 a year is insane. I'm baffled at how some of you can justify a price for the worst gaming servers/service around even with added "features" like free games. The XMB is dated and with its applications like Netflix, facebook etc. they have been nothing but lackluster. If you guys really think these "free" games are going to be any good (I'm sure it'll be those terrible minis games that no one buys) then sit down my friend because you're in for the rip-off ride of your life.

For me this will determine whether I continue to game on Sony's console. Between failing systems, overpriced repairs, lackluster XMB and crappy internet speeds they would need to really revamp all this for me to even consider a budget for my console gaming experience.

I don't care about the extra features or anything. I just want to be able to play games online. Which from the rumor it will still be free,but If they ever charged for it. I would pay for it. Since I play my PS3 more than anything these days.

I will probably stick with a free account. I am interested to see what the whole package is though.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']$50-$60 a year is insane. I'm baffled at how some of you can justify a price for the worst gaming servers/service around even with added "features" like free games. The XMB is dated and with its applications like Netflix, facebook etc. they have been nothing but lackluster. If you guys really think these "free" games are going to be any good (I'm sure it'll be those terrible minis games that no one buys) then sit down my friend because you're in for the rip-off ride of your life.

For me this will determine whether I continue to game on Sony's console. Between failing systems, overpriced repairs, lackluster XMB and crappy internet speeds they would need to really revamp all this for me to even consider a budget for my console gaming experience.[/QUOTE]

XBL Gold is $50 a year MSRP too. PSN may have worse downloads but it does have better gameplay servers. I don't think anyone has justified the price, we're just hopeful that it will have a lot of cool stuff. I probably won't buy it unless I get a deal and it has some things I really like, but I'm glad they're adding more services rather than not doing anything.

I prefer XMB to the 360 dashboard, some people prefer one or the other. I haven't heard anyone say XMB is much worse, other than yourself. Also Cheapyd himself recently said the XMB is probably going to receive a big update come E3.

It is pretty ridiculous that an optional feature that will never affect you if you decide not to opt in would determine whether or not you continue to game on said console. Actually it is absolutely crazy ridiculous. You think 360 systems don't fail as much or repairs don't cost as much or the dashboard doesn't have its faults? I don't know what drug you're on or maybe just troll is troll.

[quote name='FroMann']I will probably stick with a free account. I am interested to see what the whole package is though.[/QUOTE]

Voice of reason.

Man, it's going to be hard for me to pay for this now. If the service and features I already have for free are going to remain free, what the hell am I paying for? One "Free" download a month isn't free if you are paying for 12 of them once per year.
I'll pay for the downloadable content and games when I want to.
I have already heard about this pricing scheme quite some time ago, I recall reading on 1up.com there is supposed to be a couple different pricing levels. E3 will reveal what we need to know. Till then this is all speculation and honestly not much a revelation in my opinion.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']

For me this will determine whether I continue to game on Sony's console. Between failing systems, overpriced repairs, lackluster XMB and crappy internet speeds they would need to really revamp all this for me to even consider a budget for my console gaming experience.[/QUOTE]

LOL, what a stupid statement. You do realize this is OPTIONAL, right.. RIGHT?
Unless you didn't even read the whole thing and you just go by the header, then you just fall into "I'm ignorant and lazy" category.

Anyway, this plan needs to offer more than just 1 free game a month and music streaming for suggested price point, heck we don't even know about US price point. Not much info there to even speculate at this point.

What has me concerned more is that the source says the conference will mostly focus on this and the move. Sony needs to focus on games more.

[quote name='Bazylik']LOL, what a stupid statement. You do realize this is OPTIONAL, right.. RIGHT?
Unless you didn't even read the whole thing and you just go by the header, then you just fall into "I'm ignorant and lazy" category.

Anyway, this plan needs to offer more than just 1 free game a month and music streaming for suggested price point, heck we don't even know about US price point. Not much info there to even speculate at this point.

What has me concerned more is that the source says the conference will mostly focus on this and the move. Sony needs to focus on games more.[/QUOTE]

Stupid statement because I refuse to pay for a bad gaming service? Granted, I don't know what "amazing" updates they will make, but will I hold my breath? Hell no. I read the article and being an "optional" service is almost as credible as their information coming from a "reliable" source. I'm sure you fall into the category of "what's written on the internet is Gospel" so what does that make you? When it comes down to a monthly/annual fee you best believe it will deter a lot of gamers. I happen to be one of them.

I don't own an xbox 360 and no intentions of buying one either so for those that pay for Live that's a decision they already made for whatever reason. I for one, wouldn't. For some people this will be just another bill added to their bunch and they will accept that.

[quote name='J7.']XBL Gold is $50 a year MSRP too. PSN may have worse downloads but it does have better gameplay servers. I don't think anyone has justified the price, we're just hopeful that it will have a lot of cool stuff. I probably won't buy it unless I get a deal and it has some things I really like, but I'm glad they're adding more services rather than not doing anything.

I prefer XMB to the 360 dashboard, some people prefer one or the other. I haven't heard anyone say XMB is much worse, other than yourself. Also Cheapyd himself recently said the XMB is probably going to receive a big update come E3.

It is pretty ridiculous that an optional feature that will never affect you if you decide not to opt in would determine whether or not you continue to game on said console. Actually it is absolutely crazy ridiculous. You think 360 systems don't fail as much or repairs don't cost as much or the dashboard doesn't have its faults? I don't know what drug you're on or maybe just troll is troll.

[/QUOTE]

I'm speaking of my experiences with the PSN. I could care less about what's going on with the xbox 360 world because I don't own one. You are really riding on the notion of this being "optional" and that Sony will just let you ride on the "free" train. You better get your head out of your ass and see what's really happening. My decision about not gaming on a console, if not optional, for a fee is crazy? Wow I must be in the wrong gaming generation/forum.

Facebook integration is tons better on the PSN. I like that it sends my trophies to Facebook. 360 doesn't do that with achievements, and I have to rely on a really shitty third party program that only updates once every 3 months or so.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Stupid statement because I refuse to pay for a bad gaming service? Granted, I don't know what "amazing" updates they will make, but will I hold my breath? Hell no. I read the article and being an "optional" service is almost as credible as their information coming from a "reliable" source. I'm sure you fall into the category of "what's written on the internet is Gospel" so what does that make you? When it comes down to a monthly/annual fee you best believe it will deter a lot of gamers. I happen to be one of them.

I don't own an xbox 360 and no intentions of buying one either so for those that pay for Live that's a decision they already made for whatever reason. I for one, wouldn't. For some people this will be just another bill added to their bunch and they will accept that.[/QUOTE]

No, that was a hypocritical statement. The fact that you slam someone for what you perceive as "what's written on the internet is Gospel" yet you go flying off the handle due to the same article saying what was written about there will determine IF you choose to game on the platform. I'd almost use the stupid word there, but hypocritical fits the bill...it is along the same lines as saying SW: Episode 7 will determine if you can watch any further movies instead of saying JarJar Binks ru-wined (in my best Stewie voice) it for you.

If this happens, I'm glad it's optional to say the least... don't really care for PSN games, but other stuff like add-ons, themes, etc. sure.

[quote name='xilly']Facebook integration is tons better on the PSN. I like that it sends my trophies to Facebook. 360 doesn't do that with achievements, and I have to rely on a really shitty third party program that only updates once every 3 months or so.[/QUOTE]
So you're one of the shleps begging for crap like Facebook, 10 billion Playstation Store icons and 'omg gimme fuckin' cross game voice chat NAO Sony' on the firmware updates, huh?:roll:

If they would give us something useful(BC) and make it as good as it can be, I might even consider the paid version of PSN, but if they add in more shit like they do in the firmware updates then they can shove it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']So you're one of the shleps begging for crap like Facebook, 10 billion Playstation Store icons and 'omg gimme fuckin' cross game voice chat NAO Sony' on the firmware updates, huh?:roll:

If they would give us something useful(BC) and make it as good as it can be, I might even consider the paid version of PSN, but if they add in more shit like they do in the firmware updates then they can shove it.[/QUOTE]
:lol: He only says he likes the Facebook integration and that automatically means he only likes and wants everything you tell us you hate every single day? He's a huge Mercenaries 2 fan, too.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']:lol: He only says he likes the Facebook integration and that automatically means he only likes and wants everything you tell us you hate every single day? He's a huge Mercenaries 2 fan, too.[/QUOTE]
I was only a fan of Mercs 2 due to the codes I used the last time I played it. I cheated my ass off in it, lobbing nukes for like 3-5 hours at every building I could find.;)

Otherwise, I thought it was a glitchy/buggy mess that was only worth about $5-10 to buy, instead of the $60 I paid via cheap credit at Blockbuster.:cry:

[quote name='Reguard']Offering one PSN game a month sounds reasonable in a way.[/QUOTE]
Let's assume that it's limited to specific PSN games and said PSN games are $4.99 a pop on the store.

5x12=$60

But if you don't take advantage of the 1 PSN game per month, then you lose out on that $5 for that month.

Unfortunately there aren't many $5 PSN games I'd want to play, so therefore the one PSN game a month is worthless to me.

Now if they offered some of the bundles or bigger name games as the one per month(SOCOM, Siren, etc, etc), then it might be worth it, but only if you were interested in those in the first place(unless the download were a shareable one).

Here's my dilemma. Pay $60 a year for 12 games and some extra features. Or $60 for 3 grams of some killer weed that I'd plow through in less than a week. Hmmmm... decisions decisions.....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jmbreci']No, that was a hypocritical statement. The fact that you slam someone for what you perceive as "what's written on the internet is Gospel" yet you go flying off the handle due to the same article saying what was written about there will determine IF you choose to game on the platform. I'd almost use the stupid word there, but hypocritical fits the bill...it is along the same lines as saying SW: Episode 7 will determine if you can watch any further movies instead of saying JarJar Binks ru-wined (in my best Stewie voice) it for you.[/QUOTE]

Where did you come from? Need some extra attention? smh

The reference in this thread is the article, but this isn't a subject that hasn't already been touched. There's another thread that was created awhile back that first mentioned it. I never based my decision on this article. I, however, based it on my experiences with the PSN and the simple fact that I won't pay to play. That's it. I had my mind made up way before this article emerged.

Before you bark at anyone you should have read what I wrote and how he reacted and then reread. Idiot.

Seems interesting. I'll def. be looking forward to hearing about it on E3. TBH, I think they need better PSN games - the library out there right now is pretty good, but many of them are simply lacking and feel like cash grabs.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']Where did you come from? Need some extra attention? smh

The reference in this thread is the article, but this isn't a subject that hasn't already been touched. There's another thread that was created awhile back that first mentioned it. I never based my decision on this article. I, however, based it on my experiences with the PSN and the simple fact that I won't pay to play. That's it. I had my mind made up way before this article emerged.

Before you bark at anyone you should have read what I wrote and how he reacted and then reread. Idiot.[/QUOTE]
Hey keyboard warrior, you obviously don't comprehend what your read. No article out there said that online gaming will be part of this subscription, just some features, whatever is free now will stay free. Funny how you call others idiots when it's you spouting idiotic statements post after post.

If the selection of games is good, I'll definitely be on board with paying a yearly fee, especially if it's around $50. I was hoping they'd offer a good incentive like that. I hope it's something like a single selection of a PS1 game or a recently released PSN title.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I don't even play my PS3, it's a blu ray only player now. I don't care about this.[/QUOTE]

I laughed when you said this because I saw your avatar. Most people feel the same way towards hockey! lol

Whatever this online plan is... it needs to be good because the goal is to try and get people that pay for live to start paying for PSN... and that won't happen unless the features and the benefits of the plan is great.

I would not be surprised if MS counters this plan with free games each month on Live (they have more games to sell I think), but they might wait to see how Sony's plan does because they certainly won't want to lose that revenue.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']I'm speaking of my experiences with the PSN. I could care less about what's going on with the xbox 360 world because I don't own one. You are really riding on the notion of this being "optional" and that Sony will just let you ride on the "free" train. You better get your head out of your ass and see what's really happening. My decision about not gaming on a console, if not optional, for a fee is crazy? Wow I must be in the wrong gaming generation/forum.[/QUOTE]

You said this plan would determine whether you continue to game on PS3 and we were all going by the info stating it is optional. We think it's crazy that you would stop gaming on a console when an optional plan would have absolutely no effect on you. Now you're doing damage control and stating "if not optional". All signs over the past year have pointed to this being optional and basic online being free. Free online is something that helps sell PS3's and I don't think they're going to change that anytime soon.

[quote name='ShirtSizeXXXLXT']Man, it's going to be hard for me to pay for this now. If the service and features I already have for free are going to remain free, what the hell am I paying for? One "Free" download a month isn't free if you are paying for 12 of them once per year.
I'll pay for the downloadable content and games when I want to.
I have already heard about this pricing scheme quite some time ago, I recall reading on 1up.com there is supposed to be a couple different pricing levels. E3 will reveal what we need to know. Till then this is all speculation and honestly not much a revelation in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree because this info states that we will hear the plans at E3, which was speculation before. It states that users that don't pay won't lose anything at all, which was not known before at all. It states cross game chat will be free, while before most thought that would be something included in the fee plan. It states you will get 1 free game a month from 2-4, which was only speculation before. And streaming music I don't recall hearing before. I posted the previous pricing schemes, which was what Sony had released as a survey to gauge interest.

bread's done
Back