Rumor-Revolution and online play

NintendoFanGirl

CAGiversary!
This is just a rumor, but a nice one :shock:

"... Nintendo machine might include a 15 GB hard drive and as you already know from previous reports, chips for the machine are being made by ATI and IBM, the same folks who are making the Xbox Next chip sets! Other rumblings we have begun to dig up include the fact the system might include dual 1.8 GHz Power PC processors and an 800 MHz graphics chip.

We have also learned that the new Nintendo machine will have a revolutionary modem technology that will allow for voice chat, online gaming the whole shebang! Nintendo is planning a full online strategy that will be announced as part of its next generation console unveiling which we are hearing will take place sooner rather than later!"

Check out these websites for more info:
http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/features/381/
http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1092169649

It's total bollocks. Easily identifiable by the fact that no company in their right mind would release every single profitable franchise they have at system launch, thereby losing lots of cash in the long run

I disagree with the hard drive would be cool though, but do agree with a chance of online support. I believe even Shigeru said nintendo will support online w/next gen systems. Let the rumors begin and the wait for this years E3 become to long.

I know what the "revolutionary new way of gaming" is.... The thing plugs into your head via you nostrils, and then you go into a deep trance, and dream of a time when games were fun, instead of comercialized and dumbed down for the mainstream masses. The Revolution will remind you that it has already come and gone. But you will bask in the memories of old skool Mega Man, Mario, and many other classics. Nintendo seems to really love re-releasing old games on new consoles, and the Revolution will simply be one giant re-release of really old, but good games!!!!

An 800 MHz GPU in a inexpensive console shipping in time for the 2005 Xmas season?

Bzzzt! No, we're sorry, you not only don't win the furniture set, we're coming to your house to take away the stuff you have now.

THe 15 GB hard drive is also dubious. THe conditions that allowed Microsoft to get substantial volume of obsolete drives are not in place for this product unless they're already piled up in a warehouse somewhere, which means they're increasing in cost just sitting there taking up space. Areal densities for the least expensive form factor, the 3'5" standard popular in PCs, is rapidly making 40 GB the smallest capacity to be economically practical for drive vendors to offer. Going to a smaller form factor brings in a cost premium greater than a console design will allow.

Sounds good that ATI is doing the graphics. Also, whats this I hear about Mario Party 6 not using a controller? Is it coming out for GC or the new system?

[quote name='ex0']Sounds good that ATI is doing the graphics. Also, whats this I hear about Mario Party 6 not using a controller? Is it coming out for GC or the new system?[/quote]

You could just as easily say Silicon Graphics is doing the graphics. (Audio, too) The team who did the bulk of the N64 work at SGI went off to start their own company called ArtX. Nintendo contracted them to do the GameCube AV subsystems and this was largely completed when ATI bought them out. The upcoming product will likely be produced by the same engineers supervising. The corporate parent may change but the lineage continuous back two generations.

Does anyone have any guesses on how much RAM the Revolution will have? Im guessing that it will have 256 MB.
It would be pretty cool if you could put more RAM in the Revolution like how you could with the N64.

Yeah online is not profitable my ass Shiggy/Shig-ah-roo/Shiggy Doo/Shiggy Fu. Talk about a 360 if this were to be true, but more power to Nintendo cause its my main reason I wouldnt support their next system: No online play.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Didn't a bigwig at Nintendo just say 'people don't want online play' a few weeks ago?[/quote]

Well, I wonder who they had at their focus group when they came up with that idea.

There are a quite a few Nintendo games that I'd love to be able to play online, plus there will be third-party games, too.

It would be really nice if Nintendo included a small hard drive like that. That way we can use it so save games and load music, just like the Xbox. Plus, I'm sure Nintendo will find some other cool ways to use it.

But I really don't understand this "revolutionary modem" that will let us do things that we can pretty much already do with any other modem.

hopefully the revolutionary modem will allow me to play games over my slow 28.8 modem. Otherwise, I don't care, although the hard drive would be nice for game saves.

don't really care for nintendo anymore..got my ps2 a few months ago after being stuck with a gamecube for so long..currently enjoying online gaming on the ps2

also, i have a feeling that the GC is pretty much done..in the next year and a half, we have about 4 or 5 games that people actually want(zelda,vj 2,metroid 2, re 4 come to mind)

looks like nintendo is already focussing on the revolution so they aren't out of business in the next round

Personally, I hate online gaming. There is a reason why they have those "Gameplay may change when you are online", it's because people are assholes. If I want to play multiplayer, I will play with my friends. Then at the very least if they are being an asshole I can hit them.

If Nintendo doesn't have online with their next system then I either wont but it or it will be 99 bucks by the time I buy it.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Does anyone have any guesses on how much RAM the Revolution will have? Im guessing that it will have 256 MB.
It would be pretty cool if you could put more RAM in the Revolution like how you could with the N64.[/quote]

Keep in mind the original reason for having that expansion capability in the N64 was never released in most regions and had a tiny release in Japan. This was the disk drive accessory. The RAM expansion was primarily for buffering loaded data since unlike a cartridge the contents of a disk couldn't be mapped directly to memory. Developers with prototype DD units discovered they could get a lot more out of the N64 chipset using that additional RAM in combination with cartridges for higher screen resolutions and textures.

Although the RAM Expansion was eventually a successful add-on for that purpose thanks to it's almost trivial cost (before it was bundled with major releases and effectively free) it still got support from only a small fraction of the N64 library. If nintendo had simply included the memory from the beginning it would have driven the system price above their maximum but would have seen almost universal support from developers.

If Nintendo goes this route again, even if it's more intentional this time, they'll create a division that result in only a subset of titles supporting it. Developers would rather have a set platform without such complications to weigh when deciding the feature list of a game. Otherwise they'd do it on the PC.

I look at online gaming in much athe same way I regard sports simulations. (I could get interested in MMORPG but I play too irregularly to make it a good investment.) I currently have little use for either but understand they each represent a critical element in the success of any console. Sports is the more important by far at the moment by the growing number of homes with broadband connections is making online play something most gamers expect to have offered to them regardless of whether they do it frequently or just once in a great while for single player enhancement downloads like that for Ninja Gaiden. Some won't use it at all but like the idea that it's there, like those fishing controllers just in case they should ever go completely insane and develop the delusion that pretending to fish is a form of recreation.

like only fools would put a lit of stock in these fake rumours.

I need to start my own website so i can create some

That's pretty neat, their next generation system will have everything their competitors current generation systems already have, HDD, voice chat and online play. Way to be cutting edge, only 1 generation behind. Don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo and everything, but they just are kinda behind the time in some aspects such as online play and so forth.

In terms of rumors there are sometimes folks who should really know better fueling the fire. Yeaterday I got a unsolicited trade publication in the mail promoting ARM architecture use. I was paging through it today when I came across a small article about the Nintendo DS, which contains two ARM chips, an ARM7 and a ARM9. THey got it wrong, saying there two ARM9s used but that is a minor complaint.

The big screwup was where they suggested conflicting reports of the DS having either 128 MB or 512 MB of RAM. It apparent;y never occurred to the writer that this was an extraordinary amount of memory to supply to a system running code from ROM carts and driving a pair of 256x192 screens that together drive less than half the pixels of an NTSC display. Even allowing for greater texture flexibility the DS is unlikely to have any use for significantly more than the 4 MB the N64 got by with. More reasonable leaks suggest the DS main RAM will be around five or six megabytes after all the caches and video RAM are added to main memory.

I just know somebody equally clueless as that writer is going to see that little article and start telling the world about the amazing amount of RAM in the DS without ever thinking, "Whats wrong with this picture?"

[quote name='PsyClerk']Didn't a bigwig at Nintendo just say 'people don't want online play' a few weeks ago?[/quote]

Yes they did but they are quitely haiding the fact that the DS has wireless online gaming.

bread's done
Back