[Rumor] Sony to acquire Rockstar?!

Thomas96

CAGiversary!
Fresh off the rumor mill...

http://www.psu.com/Rumor-Control--Sony-To-Buy-Rockstar--a928-p0.php

http://www.qj.net/Sony-to-acquire-Rockstar-/pg/49/aid/99554

We've been hearing several reports for a couple of weeks now saying that after the release of the much-anticipated video game Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3), Rockstar Games is not only developing a new franchise for Sony consoles but is going Sony exclusive all the way.
Given those talks, it's not impossible if the next thing we hear about is Rockstar Games being absorbed by Sony. And that's exactly what PlayStation Universe is saying right now. One correspondent of the said fan site reported:
Various sources in the press and development team state that Sony is looking to take Rockstar "under their wings". While we learned that any agreement Sony and Take-Two entered into would not affect the upcoming Grand Theft Auto IV...
Such an agreement would presumably affect any future releases from Rockstar, including the new franchise Sony has been discussing and L.A. Noire, which looks likely to be a PS3 exclusive at this point as well.
However, we believe that there are a lot of things to consider first before taking this piece to be true. First, the controversial game Manhunt 2 is still in limbo and aside from that, it's hard to believe that Take-Two Interactive is going to let go of its top asset that easily.
It should be remembered that the publisher just recently fixed its internal problems and losing Rockstar would mean the world to them. As of this writing, Rockstar Games or any of the companies involved for that matter has yet to give an official announcement.

Thanks to qual for the heads up!

If its true, wouldn't be a good move at all IMO.

Like Scorch said, they should've jumped on this a few years back if they were ever going to do it and milk that market for what it's worth.

Um, why? Seriously, why? The GTA cash cow was milked a long time ago. I don't see Rockstar being a serious player for a very long time if at all. Hell, most of the newer console developers flounder after they've milked their one hit wonder franchise to death. Core, Rare, and Neversoft are good examples of this. Rockstar is next.

oh i think they could milk GTA much much more. i mean the top selling ps2 games were...

#1 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (13 million)
#2 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)
#3 Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (11 million)
#4 Grand Theft Auto III (11 million)

so i wouldnt say GTA is dead by any means. if sony could afford it, it would be a good move for them, but i until i hear this from a more reputable site i wont give it much thought

I think that buying Rockstar would be a very smart move for Sony, though I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft got in a bidding war with Sony.

Would be interesting if it turned out to be true and it went though, but I would say that this probably belongs next to the Microsoft buying Nintendo or Apple rumors.

Woud it be a good move for Sony? Probably, but then what would become of the 360 version of GTA4? No more? Loss of episodic content? So many what ifs that I think I should just leave it alone for now.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I think that buying Rockstar would be a very smart move for Sony, though I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft got in a bidding war with Sony.[/QUOTE]

Don't you think that Microsoft hasn't already tried?

I don't see it happening. Not after all the money Microsoft so generously gave them for extra downloadable content. If anything, I think Rockstar's more content throwing their crap around on multiple consoles right now. PS3 is nowhere near as dominant as the PS2 is/was right now.

This would probably be similar to MS buying Rare. Would've helped them A LOT had it been a few years earlier, but I can't see it having as big an impact as it sounds.

Remember Take Two would still own the GTA franchise and they can just get another team to release GTA games

This is a pretty stupid rumor because Rockstar is NOT an independent studio. They are a subsidiary of Take 2 and were completely absorbed in. And I highly doubt that Take 2 Would sell their damn cash cow considering all the hardships they have to overcome financially with the lackluster sales of their sports titles. If anyone were to be bought out, it would be the parent company.

Rockstar could go anywhere at this point, but I think it'll stay under Take Two since you're starting to see more games come from them, even if they are year-old ports to other consoles.

Just remember that Nintendo likes to buy studios in pairs, and they've only bought one this year.

I don't think I could come up with a better team to acquire. The team is full of ideas and they can produce good games. I'd love to see Sony do it, just to show to the public that they are "Actively" aggressive in regards to getting good games on the PS3.

If I were Rockstar I wouldn't start pledging allegiances until there is a clear leader in the console war. The 360 or the PS3 could suddenly become a runaway success and Rockstar would get their fingers burned.

Sony needs all the help they can get, but i'd expect MS to fight this by offering to acquire RockStar also.

I agree with Scorch, they should have done this after GTA 3 was a hit on the PS2. First if they buy it now, they are purchasing it at an inflated price. I haven't seen much in Rockstar's future game lineup that excites me.

I don't see how this would be possible. If it was a matter of the amount of cash offered to go exclusive I can't see how Microsoft would not only be able to make a better offer, but Microsoft also currently has the highest next gen user base. Because of higher development costs it doesn't help any developer to remain exclusive, so Sony would have to offer them something more lucrative than what the potential profit might be from having some of it's popular IP's be multiplatform.

Unless Rockstar is run by autistic monkeys I cannot see them making this type of decision.

As far as Rockstar declining? They own some strong selling IP's other than GTA, and continue to create new ones (Bully, Red Dead Revolver, in the future LA Noire) and if the RAGE engine works well and is adaptable they can consider selling the technology as well. Saying they're declining as a developer right now is absurd.

[quote name='LiK']Sony needs all the help they can get, but i'd expect MS to fight this by offering to acquire RockStar also.[/QUOTE]

While true, I think they're money could be better spent on something else.

[quote name='Thomas96']Fresh off the rumor mill...

http://www.psu.com/Rumor-Control--Sony-To-Buy-Rockstar--a928-p0.php

http://www.qj.net/Sony-to-acquire-Rockstar-/pg/49/aid/99554

We've been hearing several reports for a couple of weeks now saying that after the release of the much-anticipated video game Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3), Rockstar Games is not only developing a new franchise for Sony consoles but is going Sony exclusive all the way.
Given those talks, it's not impossible if the next thing we hear about is Rockstar Games being absorbed by Sony. And that's exactly what PlayStation Universe is saying right now. One correspondent of the said fan site reported:
Various sources in the press and development team state that Sony is looking to take Rockstar "under their wings". While we learned that any agreement Sony and Take-Two entered into would not affect the upcoming Grand Theft Auto IV...
Such an agreement would presumably affect any future releases from Rockstar, including the new franchise Sony has been discussing and L.A. Noire, which looks likely to be a PS3 exclusive at this point as well.
However, we believe that there are a lot of things to consider first before taking this piece to be true. First, the controversial game Manhunt 2 is still in limbo and aside from that, it's hard to believe that Take-Two Interactive is going to let go of its top asset that easily.
It should be remembered that the publisher just recently fixed its internal problems and losing Rockstar would mean the world to them. As of this writing, Rockstar Games or any of the companies involved for that matter has yet to give an official announcement.

Thanks to qual for the heads up![/QUOTE]
I like how, in their first sentence, they say that this rumor is logical because of...another, still completely unconfirmed, rumor. Good show, guys. :applause:

I don't think Take Two would let go of Rockstar for anything at this point. If they did, what would they have left? 2K Games and a few other, smaller, developers? If they're smart, they won't let Rockstar go like that because the long term benefit of having Rockstar around easily beats any short-term benefit Sony could provide in exchange.

I think Strell was just trying to be funny, in a weird way though, he brings up a good point. Follow the money.

I believe Take 2 is a public company and Rockstar is broken out as a subsidiary under it. This means that Rockstar has a "value" given to it by Wall Street. This value is derived by sales to all consoles.

So, for Sony to get Rockstar, they have to pay for all the sales to other consoles plus a hefty premium (almost any merger or aquisitioo comes at a premium, that ranges from 20-80% of the value).

This means that Sony is going to pay for a fortune, and they have to think that they will get that many more console sales for this aquisition. So, how many PS3's will sell because of this? I'm not sure it will be enough.

Just as the money screams that MGS4 is coming to the 360, the money screams this deal is highly unlikely.

[quote name='munch']Confirmed: Some websites like to make stuff up to get traffic.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. On other news.....fuck Strell already made the MGS4 joke.

[quote name='munch']Confirmed: Some websites like to make stuff up to get traffic.[/QUOTE]

QJ.net is the single worst site I see do this. Then again, I only read Kotaku/Joystiq/Whatever else when a CAG links to it. QJ.net just posted the first of what promises to be many, many "Bioshock to PS3?" rumors, which was sourced by, I believe, a forum post over at PS Universe.

I swear to fuckin' god the internet is more like "A Current Affair" than "A Current Affair" ever was.

Sorry folks, this isn't happening. I have a very reliable source who tells me that Rockstar is for sale but the likely buyer is not going to be Sony but rather a new movie studio headed up by Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. They've got the cash and the reputations and there have been rumblings that Rockstar would be happier making cutting edge movies rather than games becuase of the backlash they always get whenever a game is released. They could release similarly themed movies and avoid all the negative press so why not?

[quote name='javeryh']Sorry folks, this isn't happening. I have a very reliable source who tells me that Rockstar is for sale but the likely buyer is not going to be Sony but rather a new movie studio headed up by Peter Jackson, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. They've got the cash and the reputations and there have been rumblings that Rockstar would be happier making cutting edge movies rather than games becuase of the backlash they always get whenever a game is released. They could release similarly themed movies and avoid all the negative press so why not?[/QUOTE]

You heard that too? Whos your source!

1. Rockstar is still one of the most respected devs in the business.

2. Why are you posting this shit? Even if this ever does happen, this rumour is still a tub of bullshit.

[quote name='mykevermin']I swear to fuckin' god the internet is more like "A Current Affair" than "A Current Affair" ever was.[/quote]

BTW "A Current Affair" has been renamed to "Fox News".

[quote name='PyroGamer']1. Rockstar is still one of the most respected devs in the business.

2. Why are you posting this shit? Even if this ever does happen, this rumour is still a tub of bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Posting it so you could do your little girl rant.. congrats mission accomplished.

After Microsoft payed Rockstar 50 million dollars for GTA IV exclusive content and delaying the game becuase of the PS3. I dont think Sony is going to get Rockstar.

Actually, what MS did was a kind of loan to Rockstar since they're in financial trouble, which amounts to an advance on future profits from the game.

Because of such deal, it's unlikely that they'd all of a sudden sell out to Sony. But the fact that they are in financial trouble does mean they're somewhat desperate for income.

That and people really need to look at the sources before drawing their own conclusion.

100% Bullshit.

Not saying I wouldn't want to see it, that's actually the opposite, as I think Sony really needs to buckle down and absorb some big name game houses.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Bite your tongue. ;)[/QUOTE]

I had it all wrong.

Capcom to acquire Microsoft?!

bread's done
Back