Rumor: Square Enix remaking games for PSN

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
Remember the EGM rumor about a Japanese company remaking games for PSN? Surfer Girl has said numerous times it is Square Enix (Big surprise to me after what they said over Digital downloads).

Coming from what she said:
1) Factor 5 has not abandoned the PS3, despite yesterday's announcement appearing to indicate the contrary. Also, some may mishear one of the company's forthcoming projects as Toucan Sam title.

4) Who is the company remaking games for PSN?
Square Enix was the company that the EGM rumor was talking about, but the games are not full-fledged remakes.
http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.c...ust-go-on.html

I definitely hope Square Enix does because they'd make me go broke. What does worry me though would be their pricing, if they are the ones doing it.

[quote name='Poor2More']No, I heard it wasn't Square due to Digital Download stance, Thats the word[/QUOTE]That's why they were the last company on my mind when I heard the rumor; however, Surfergirl has nailed other rumors dead on, so I'm still keeping a close eye of it. In some ways, Square Enix loves to remake games over and over again, so that doesn't completely surprise me. And if it's Sony themselves doing part of the work, it seems to make more sense (because it's more like Sony helping Square Enix, instead of making them do everything). Still, we'll wait and see, but this would be huge to me. She seems to be very sure about this for a bit.

i think it was surfer girl also saying that there is a resistance 2 and it would take place in the US. which is true now...

I hope they remake some ff games, i havent completed some of them

[quote name='Poor2More']No, I heard it wasn't Square due to Digital Download stance, Thats the word[/QUOTE]

It's overstated. They'd rather sell you a remake of Final Fantasy for $30 than a nonremake for $5 to 7 on the VC, sure. But they're already supporting the VC (in Japan, at least). They can make money off of lots of franchise and legacy games they have access to, but they may not be able to do so if they remade them all. IIRC, Bahamut Lagoon is out on the VC, and there may be others.

Oh, it looks like I'm wrong: Treasure Hunter G (a Squeenix game) is on the VC.

They have lots of franchises and games that would not be profitable as remakes (Saga Frontier I/II, Threads of Fate, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Musashi, and possibly even Xenogears/Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross).

The last three might possibly be included, but with SE's penchant for remakes/rereleases, they may very well end up on a physical format eventually.

At the end of the day, as long as SOMEONE is helping out the PSN store in the United States with PSX games, I'll be happy. SCEA has dropped the ball somethin' ferocious thus far, with 15 games released compared to Japan's nearing 200.

All I'm asking for is a PS3 Vagrant Story remake in 1080p, a remastered, fully-symphonic score, full voiceover in cutscenes, a bunch of new weapons and battle abilities and maybe a few bonus areas to explore. Also finishing the game unlocks Vagrant Story II, the 70-80 hour sequel starring Ashley Riot and his trenchcoat. Would that really be that hard?

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the FF franchise is one thing you can take to the bank on them *not* remaking.[/QUOTE]

Eek. I just realized what I said. I meant "releasing on PSN," not "remaking." I do think a FF7 remake is coming down the pipeline, but you'll be paying $40+ for it on a Blu-Ray disc.

This is the same Square Enix that remake or port the FF and DQ games multipe times. Wont be shocking to see them do it again

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the FF franchise is one thing you can take to the bank on them *not* remaking.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the good laugh!

[quote name='metaly']All I'm asking for is a PS3 Vagrant Story remake in 1080p, a remastered, fully-symphonic score, full voiceover in cutscenes, a bunch of new weapons and battle abilities and maybe a few bonus areas to explore. Also finishing the game unlocks Vagrant Story II, the 70-80 hour sequel starring Ashley Riot and his trenchcoat. Would that really be that hard?[/QUOTE]

yes please.

[quote name='magiic']screw the PSN I want Secret of Mana on the VC[/quote]

No, PSN, not VC. Wrong board.

WII VC ::::::::::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>>> dataway

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']No, PSN, not VC. Wrong board.

WII VC ::::::::::::::::::::>>>>>>>>>>>>> dataway[/quote]

Thank you captain obvious. I am aware this is the playstation board. I was merely stating I would rather see square thumbs up Secret of Mana on the VC than remake stuff for the PSN

I hope they release any remakes on physical media. I hate having downloads, makes me feel like I paid for nothing. I need ownership!

[quote name='magiic']Thank you captain obvious. I am aware this is the playstation board. I was merely stating I would rather see square thumbs up Secret of Mana on the VC than remake stuff for the PSN[/QUOTE]

If it actually happens, I'd rather see Square's remake on PSN then the exact same game on VC that I played years ago.

[quote name='Slayzz']If it actually happens, I'd rather see Square's remake on PSN then the exact same game on VC that I played years ago.[/quote]

+1 obviously. Captain obvious.

[quote name='metaly']All I'm asking for is a PS3 Vagrant Story remake in 1080p, a remastered, fully-symphonic score, full voiceover in cutscenes, a bunch of new weapons and battle abilities and maybe a few bonus areas to explore. Also finishing the game unlocks Vagrant Story II, the 70-80 hour sequel starring Ashley Riot and his trenchcoat. Would that really be that hard?[/QUOTE]

I would quite honestly run out and buy a PS3 solely for a Vagrant Story remake. As for a sequel, I doubt that it could be as great as the first without the original team behind it.

[quote name='Rusty Ghia']As for a sequel, I doubt that it could be as great as the first without the original team behind it.[/quote]

That's why I'm really not excited about the whole Ivalice Alliance thing. I love, love, love all of Yasumi Matsuno's games, but with him going solo it seems like Square Enix will be happy to spin off countless Ivalice brands, just like they've done with Final Fantasy.

[quote name='blueweltall']A Xenogears remake will be sweet![/quote]

I hope that would include finishing making the game in the first place.

[quote name='mykevermin']

At the end of the day, as long as SOMEONE is helping out the PSN store in the United States with PSX games, I'll be happy. SCEA has dropped the ball somethin' ferocious thus far, with 15 games released compared to Japan's nearing 200.[/QUOTE]There's more than 15 so far, and from what someone at GAF said (or a few I should say), they can somewhat see why SCEA doesn't bring them. There's no denying I was a huge PS1 fan myself, but very few PS1 games still hold up (Warhawk is the biggest one to come to mind) now as is (except for 2D games (some good 2D games are by Working Designs, and Vic Ireland stating himself at GAF once he will never license his games to SCEA since he still holds a grudge against them), Square Enix games, a few select games by Capcom/Konami/Namco). Only one PS1 download has actually gotten decent reviews (and if every SCEA game was up on the PS Store, I really only seeing maybe 5 total get an 8 or above review score now). So now, like some others, just waiting more so for PS2 downloadable games. But anyway, oh well, I'll just let SCEA do what they prefer.

Anyway, it would kind of disappoint me if there was no full remake to FFVII, because that's a game I'd love to see fully remade as a disc based game. Square Enix might just high res PS1 games though (think about what Namco did to Tekken 5 DR on PS3), but we'll see. I just care they look pretty good.

For some reason, I could see an Einhander, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, etc. come, but I'm honestly not sure if Xenogears would pop up (Mostly because the game was a financial disaster to Square, or so I heard). Still, I'd like most anything to appear. I'd like them to add online play to some of their games (like for Einhander, Chocobo Racing, etc.), but I kind of doubt it.

I'm kind of assuming most will be PS1 games. But I'm curious as to whether they'll extend to SNES, PS2, etc. games as remakes.

There is still no guarantee this will happen (since this a rumor), but there's no denying I'm not really surprised when giving it thought (I doubt Capcom would be teaming up with SCEA since they are completely multi-platform and haven't been too supportive of PS3. Namco Bandai is more likely, but I can't see them remaking games. Konami seems to make more sense, but Square Enix is the biggest on remaking games, and Wada did mention the PS3 (along with DS and Wii) to get strong support in his latest interview).

the first game should be... Einhander

and then Bushido blade with some one on one onlne matches.

they got Tobal 1 and 2

and I always felt that they should not have given up on bouncer... make it a 2d/3d game side scrolling like SOR about 8 levels and it'll be good for PSN.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's more than 15 so far, and from what someone at GAF said (or a few I should say), they can somewhat see why SCEA doesn't bring them. There's no denying I was a huge PS1 fan myself, but very few PS1 games still hold up (Warhawk is the biggest one to come to mind) now as is (except for 2D games (some good 2D games are by Working Designs, and Vic Ireland stating himself at GAF once he will never license his games to SCEA since he still holds a grudge against them), Square Enix games, a few select games by Capcom/Konami/Namco). Only one PS1 download has actually gotten decent reviews (and if every SCEA game was up on the PS Store, I really only seeing maybe 5 total get an 8 or above review score now). So now, like some others, just waiting more so for PS2 downloadable games. But anyway, oh well, I'll just let SCEA do what they prefer.

Anyway, it would kind of disappoint me if there was no full remake to FFVII, because that's a game I'd love to see fully remade as a disc based game. Square Enix might just high res PS1 games though (think about what Namco did to Tekken 5 DR on PS3), but we'll see. I just care they look pretty good.

For some reason, I could see an Einhander, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, etc. come, but I'm honestly not sure if Xenogears would pop up (Mostly because the game was a financial disaster to Square, or so I heard). Still, I'd like most anything to appear. I'd like them to add online play to some of their games (like for Einhander, Chocobo Racing, etc.), but I kind of doubt it.

I'm kind of assuming most will be PS1 games. But I'm curious as to whether they'll extend to SNES, PS2, etc. games as remakes.

There is still no guarantee this will happen (since this a rumor), but there's no denying I'm not really surprised when giving it thought (I doubt Capcom would be teaming up with SCEA since they are completely multi-platform and haven't been too supportive of PS3. Namco Bandai is more likely, but I can't see them remaking games. Konami seems to make more sense, but Square Enix is the biggest on remaking games, and Wada did mention the PS3 (along with DS and Wii) to get strong support in his latest interview).[/QUOTE]

*cough*

I didn't read a word past "there's more than 15."

There are *18*. My mistake. Still far fewer than almost 200, inn't it? So I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in your excuses for SCEA. There are no excuses. Got it? So if you and your friends believe that SCEA is trying to appeal to gamers who "don't want that many games available," or whatever tripe it is you're typing, stop.

bread's done
Back