Rumor: Syphon Filter for PS3

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
http://www.ps3center.net/news/2278/new-syphon-filter-title-in-development/
Browsing Gamasutra's job listings, Bend Studios has posted a new listing. The Sony owned developer is looking for Senior Game Tools Programmer, with "PS3 or XBOX360 experience".

It looks like the studio is looking to finally make the leap to the next generation consoles. And seeing as how they are so closely tied to the Syphon Filter brand, with 7 of their last 8 games in the previous 10 years being Syphon Filter titles, PS3 owners may just be in for a new Syphon Filter game.

Unfortunately, as Bend is currently tied up with the PSP title Resistance: Retribution, the game probably wouldn't be out until 2010 at the earliest.

and another new tip (while is has a few errors lists it):
http://www.pcbproductions.com/HTMLfiles/Credits/credits.html

When you scroll, you see Syphon Filter 5 for PS3 listed. But I dunno how seriously to take the site.

In case many didn't know, I'm a HUGE Syphon Filter fan. Loved Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow a ton on PSP. Wasn't really into the 3rd and PS2 one much, but the PSP ones were so good, I wanted to see one on PS3.

Syphon Filter 1 was good. I enjoyed it very much. It just never seemed to take off the way I thought it should've.
I don't think it ever resonated with gamers outside the FPS lovers. Personally, I liked it better than KZ1- it was much more innovative with the tazer and stealth-lite elements (meaning you could easily play each level either way). I'll never forget the roof-tops and the platforming within the flaming subway sequences in 1 & 2.

[quote name='maddfrog']If done properly this could be a very good thing, especially if they make it along the lines of Syphon Filter 1 and 2.[/QUOTE]I actually hope they make it more like Syphon Filter on PSP, but oh course make the controls fit to PS3 (using two analog sticks and such), keep the QTEs which Logan's Shadow had, and so on. They felt a little more MGS/stealth and were definitely my favorite ones.

Online play on the PSP ones were fantastic, so I can't wait to see what they do with PS3.

I hope the game is out by 2009 (although I'm betting 2010) since there doesn't look to be many first party online games this year (looks to be more single player like in 2007).

Just curious why they'd be looking for Senior Game Tools Programmer, with "PS3 or XBOX360 experience".

That kinda suggests it will be multi-platform doesn't it?

[quote name='Maklershed']Just curious why they'd be looking for Senior Game Tools Programmer, with "PS3 or XBOX360 experience".

That kinda suggests it will be multi-platform doesn't it?[/QUOTE]It won't be multi-platform because Sony Bend IS owned by Sony (they are an internal Sony development team) and the IP is owned by Sony. Sony Bend is recruiting for people who have experience in HD console development, in general. The PS3 or 360 experience means, let's just say someone from Valve or a studio which has made 360 exclusives (never worked on PS3), is looking for a new job. They are welcome to work at Sony Bend on Syphon Filter for PS3 (some of the staff already has PS3 development experience, so it's not like they can't learn from someone). Right now most of Sony Bend's staff is catered towards last gen/PSP development and is not fully staffed for next gen. They are just looking for more next gen staff. Kind of see what I mean here? It's like they wouldn't want to hire someone right now who only has PS2, Wii, or handheld experience. They want PS3 or 360 experience since that gives them a wider range of developers.

Syphon Filter is like Uncharted. Naughty Dog is owned by Sony and so is the Uncharted IP. If Naughty Dog was looking for more staff with experience in PS3 or 360, all that really means is HD experience they are looking for.

Syphon Filter will NEVER be multi-platform, end of story (unless Sony was a 3rd party dev).

I've never played Syphon Filter before, but watching video of this game it makes newer games look stupid. Isn't this an old game from late '90s? Anyway, I'd probably be interested.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It won't be multi-platform because Sony Bend IS owned by Sony (they are an internal Sony development team) and the IP is owned by Sony. Sony Bend is recruiting for people who have experience in HD console development, in general. The PS3 or 360 experience means, let's just say someone from Valve or a studio which has made 360 exclusives (never worked on PS3), is looking for a new job. They are welcome to work at Sony Bend on Syphon Filter for PS3 (some of the staff already has PS3 development experience, so it's not like they can't learn from someone). Right now most of Sony Bend's staff is catered towards last gen/PSP development and is not fully staffed for next gen. They are just looking for more next gen staff. Kind of see what I mean here?

Syphon Filter is like Uncharted. Naughty Dog is owned by Sony and so is the Uncharted IP. If Naughty Dog was looking for more staff with experience in PS3 or 360, all that really means is HD experience they are looking for.[/quote]

Ahh. Gotcha

[quote name='Maklershed']Just curious why they'd be looking for Senior Game Tools Programmer, with "PS3 or XBOX360 experience".

That kinda suggests it will be multi-platform doesn't it?[/quote]

Does Sony still own Bend Studios? If so, then I think it will remain a first party title.

Edit: Beaten by Mana.

[/quote]

They are not looking for a straight up game developer. They are looking for a senior developer who is familiar with more of the middle-ware. Think Autodesk's Kynapse AI libraries, etc.

That being said, it's a bit of a stretch to think that just because they are looking for a TOOLS developer, means they are going to just up and start developing something like the next syphon filter. Generally tools developers rarely develop for actual games. They produce tools using middleware and other platform API's to make it easier for software dev's in house to do so.

That kinda suggests it will be multi-platform doesn't it?[/quote]
I imagine it's because having 360 experience doesn't rule them out for the job since they'd have experience with a next-gen game/system.

Syphon Filter 1 was great, 2 was ok, everything else besides the PSP games sucked. If they can make this like the PSP games (single player and great online), then I'm sold.

Reboot the series. New protagonist, but with older characters filling support roles.

I haven't played the other Syphon Filter games so that's a better deal for me.

The PS3 needs a good operative/modern espionage style third person shooter. Uncharted was great, but the market it still open for something more serious toned.

Syphon Filter is one of my favorite game series. Though it hasn't really been about the Syphon Filter bio-agent for a long time ha ha.

[quote name='Vanigan']Reboot the series. New protagonist, but with older characters filling support roles.[/quote]

Omega Strain was sort of like that, introducing rookies being guided by the established agents. As for older characters, Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror on the PSP did a good job of tightening up the relationships and motives of the key characters.

And if they continue with progressing through the timeline with each game then there could be some interesting developments post PSP games.

Ending spoiler of Logan's Shadow.

During Logan's Shadow, Gabe's private agency is shut down. At the end of the game, he is feeling betrayed and seems to want out of all of craziness of "the business" and is set to retire... Until he walks into an ambush where his friends/agency members have been wounded before he takes a bullet to save Lian Xing. Nothing is explained further then that as far as if he lives or dies...

I hope they get to go back and tackle Co-op which was meant to be the main focus of Omega Strain. But then again I was really impressed with the PSP stories which tied all of the games together nicely, so I'd love a strong single player as well.

Oh please, Ive been wanting this since the PS3 launched. Back in the PS1 days i was the only one who played Syphon Filter when all my friends were playing MGS instead. The PSP titles were great so I hope they can expand on that.

I've always wanted to play these games, but never got around to them. I only had the chance to try it on PSP and I enjoyed what little I got to play. Seems like a really great mix of Metal Gear and Bourne, with emphasis on action.

It makes sense to expect Bend to develop a PS3 Syphon Filter since they've made all of the previous iterations. It will be interesting to see how Sony Bend tackles their first PS3 game.

Oh god I have wanted some Syphon Filter Multiplayer forever. This will be dope. I could care less about SP, just give me a decent MP setup!!!!!!

bread's done
Back