Rumor: Wii for $200 + more colors by Spring 2007

Wasn't Wii Sports supposed to ship seperately from the Wii after Christmas? That would explain the $200 price point. Although I can't see it really happening because even at $250, Nintendo can't stock the shelves fast enough.

~ahmed!~

still about $50 too much for me. It's the gamecube with a new controller -- I can pay 99.99 (gamecube value) + 49.99 (new controller innovation) = $150, but no more than that.

[quote name='gsr']still about $50 too much for me. It's the gamecube with a new controller -- I can pay 99.99 (gamecube value) + 49.99 (new controller innovation) = $150, but no more than that.[/QUOTE]

We've heard this before..

Hooray for undisclosed TRU managers. Unless that's like the Times Square TRU manager who happened to have a conversation with Reggie a few weeks ago, I won't hold my breath. Obviously they're going to have new colors at some point and obviously it will drop to $200 at some point, but with the current console shortages, I would be surprised by spring of next year, unless sales abruptly stop as soon as they're well stocked.

It's not completely farfetched. Remember the DS? The price dropped on it even as it was picking up steam... and it rolled over the PSP.

That being said, I'm skeptical of the source. I remember when an EB Games manager was arrogantly pronouncing that Ubi was going to make a Beyond Good and Evil trilogy, despite my protestations that it was a bogus rumor. This may turn out otherwise, but until then...

I have no reason to believe the manager, but assuming nintendo can keep up with production, dropping the system to $200 and taking out wii sports would be a great move. Last spring is when 360s started collecting dust on shelves, and it's likely to happen to the Wii around then too (wii is selling better but also producing more) that time of the year just isn't the best.

360 is also about due for a $50 price drop after the holidays to really try and kill sony, especially now that 360s are making money on hardware. And that would make 360 and wii cost the same so it makes sense to drop the wii also (they are also making money on the hardware)

Nintendo would be incredibly smart to do a Launch part 2 with the new colors, dvd compatibility already installed, lower price, etc. I think though that they still need to include a game. Just have wii sports or something like it that would be a cheap game anyway and toss it in there. Now all that for 200 bucks is a steal and a half and will assure nintendos spot at #2 for this current gen console war(it's not really next gen now is it, since we're there?).

I don't think they're going to lower the price anytime soon with at the rate Wiis are being currently sold at.

I don't think Nintendo would do something as off-setting as releasing the system with DVD playback just 6 months after its launch, for cheaper. I know I wouldn't be terribly happy with that. Besides, Nintendo console re-versionings never have any significant upgrade (the only one I can think of besides "OH LOOK NEW CASE" is GBA SP).

[quote name='crazytalkx']I don't think they're going to lower the price anytime soon with at the rate Wiis are being currently sold at.[/quote]

I don't know. I heard (once again take it or leave it) that the 360 will be dropping $50 in the spring, RIGHT when the PS3 can get their supply going.

If that is true. That would leave a 360 Core at $250 and the WII at $250. As much as I like the WII, I don't think that it is in Nintendo's favor to be priced the same as a 360. I could see the $50 drop happening.

[quote name='schuerm26']I don't know. I heard (once again take it or leave it) that the 360 will be dropping $50 in the spring, RIGHT when the PS3 can get their supply going.

If that is true. That would leave a 360 Core at $250 and the WII at $250. As much as I like the WII, I don't think that it is in Nintendo's favor to be priced the same as a 360. I could see the $50 drop happening.[/QUOTE]

Still, it's a $250 Core where you need to drop some money on either a $40 memory card or a $100 hard drive or a Wii with a Game and the ability to save built in. I'd still say you get more bang for your buck with the Wii.

[quote name='furyk']Still, it's a $250 Core where you need to drop some money on either a $40 memory card or a $100 hard drive or a Wii with a Game and the ability to save built in. I'd still say you get more bang for your buck with the Wii.[/quote]

I do to but the perception would be to the "general" gaming public that a WII costs the same as a 360. I don't think that helps Nintendo.

[quote name='gsr']still about $50 too much for me. It's the gamecube with a new controller -- I can pay 99.99 (gamecube value) + 49.99 (new controller innovation) = $150, but no more than that.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. I'd buy it for my Dad @ that price so he could play around.

[quote name='MisterModest']For reference, the GameCube had a $50 price drop six months after it's launch, the following Spring.[/QUOTE]

Also keep in mind, the last time around, the PS2, over 18 months after it's launch, dropped its price by $100 around the same time that the cube dropped to $150 and the Xbox dropped to $200. Sony pushed the envelope there, and considering its lead the competition had to follow. This time around, expect to see much more disjoint price moves. As it is, Sony isn't competitive with MS, and even at a $50 price drop, the 360's effective price would still be a minimum of $50 above the Wii, so Nintendo won't really feel the heat. Also, Nintendo "isn't competing" - they said that many times for a reason.

What they'd probably do is drop it for $200 minus Wii Sports, and have Wii Sports available at a budget price, thereby not really dropping the price by much technically, but the system cost would still be $50 lower.

The one thing I dislike about Big N, the re-releases, and especially since I got my Wii launch night, I would be heart broken if they released a new version so soon, now instead of being the cool guy who managed to get a Wii at launch I would be the guy who has an outdated system, I say wait a few years on any additional DVD playback etc, colors are fine, I oculd care less if someone had a pink Wii, although a sexy black one to match my Gamecube, SP, iPod, and DSlite would be cool.

Nintendo would be dumb as shit to stop including Wii Sports. It's the perfect demo for the Wii and helps with word of mouth so people can be fooled into thinking all Wii games are that easy to pick up and play and go out and buy their own Wiis.

Because let's face it, after Wii Sports the controller experience has been all downhill so far.

This must be true, because we all know that Nintendo keep TRU managers up to date on all their upcoming business plans...

[quote name='rickonker']Nintendo would be dumb as shit to stop including Wii Sports. It's the perfect demo for the Wii and helps with word of mouth so people can be fooled into thinking all Wii games are that easy to pick up and play and go out and buy their own Wiis.

Because let's face it, after Wii Sports the controller experience has been all downhill so far.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that if it does drop in price it will be to 230.00 or 225.00 .

A 50 buck price drop is too much in my eyes.

Also Wii sports is what is making the system so huge. I have a feeling that if Wii sports didn't come as a pack in, there wouldn't have been so much hype about the system.

[quote name='KingDox'] Also Wii sports is what is making the system so huge. I have a feeling that if Wii sports didn't come as a pack in, there wouldn't have been so much hype about the system.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm saying. The Wii with Wii Sports right now is basically a bait and switch.

You visit your friend's house and play Wii Tennis on his Wii. The controller feels so natural because all you're doing is swinging, you're not even moving your Mii. So now you get baited and go out and buy a Wii for yourself. By the time you realize the more complex games on the Wii still make you learn what button does what, it's too late.

[quote name='rickonker']Exactly what I'm saying. The Wii with Wii Sports right now is basically a bait and switch.

You visit your friend's house and play Wii Tennis on his Wii. The controller feels so natural because all you're doing is swinging, you're not even moving your Mii. So now you get baited and go out and buy a Wii for yourself. By the time you realize the more complex games on the Wii still make you learn what button does what, it's too late.[/QUOTE]

You got me. I felt completely baited and switched with the Wii and it's complex control schemes that are never taught to you in game......

*eyeroll*

The vast majority of people out there with a Wii are very happy with what the system is right now, not what it could be six months down the road. The only people who have a problem with the Wii are the fanboys desperately trying to find a hole with the system that isn't graphics, and unlike Motorstorm, Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Wii Play both don't suck.

[quote name='furyk']You got me. I felt completely baited and switched with the Wii and it's complex control schemes that are never taught to you in game......

*eyeroll*

The vast majority of people out there with a Wii are very happy with what the system is right now, not what it could be six months down the road. The only people who have a problem with the Wii are the fanboys desperately trying to find a hole with the system that isn't graphics, and unlike Motorstorm, Wario Ware Smooth Moves and Wii Play both don't suck.[/QUOTE]
Ok, if you have a Wii and you're on CAG then you're not the kind of person I'm talking about.

But it should be obvious that someone who has never played video games before could easily fall for this.

Someone like that would play Wii Tennis and think all Wii games were that easy to learn and play.

A lot of Wii fanboys (maybe not you furyk) have said the Wii controller is perfect for newbies and the regular controllers are too hard to use. Ok, let's say this is true. Now, suddenly teaching the button control schemes in game is good enough?

[quote name='rickonker']Ok, if you have a Wii and you're on CAG then you're not the kind of person I'm talking about.

But it should be obvious that someone who has never played video games before could easily fall for this.

Someone like that would play Wii Tennis and think all Wii games were that easy to learn and play.

A lot of Wii fanboys (maybe not you furyk) have said the Wii controller is perfect for newbies and the regular controllers are too hard to use. Ok, let's say this is true. Now, suddenly teaching the button control schemes in game is good enough?[/QUOTE]

Obviously I'm not the type of person you're talking about but let's face facts. I'm the type of person with a Wii right now. As it stands, the Wii is as hard if not harder to find then a PS3. The only way to have gotten one is to have pre-ordered, camped, spent a bundle, or got really lucky. Only one of those scenarios really encorporate non-gamers into the fold and it's the least likely of the four scenarios.

The simple fact is that the Wii will probably not be "in stores" until February/March. By that time, we'll have Wii Sports, Wii Play, Rayman, Elebits, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and maybe Cooking Mama: Cook Off which are simple games to control and play. Coupled with Super Swing Golf which seems pretty straight forward and Sonic might be around too which gives us seven/eight games that are pretty straight forward.

Yes, Zelda is a pain in the butt to pick up blind if you've never played games before. Yes, it takes time to learn how to play Excite Truck or Trauma Center or DBZ or Madden. All of those things are true. The simple fact is that there are quite a few simplistic games, weighted heavily towards mini games yes, that are very intuative and easy to play. So while Wii Sports might be a bit of a bait and switch when the Wii was first released, but by the time mom and pop can walk into a local Wal Mart to buy a Wii, the simplistic, easy to pick up games will be there.

I'm not going to say "OMG the Wii lets you do everything with one button", but there are several games now and in the near future that fit the "games for everyone" mold.

[quote name='furyk']Obviously I'm not the type of person you're talking about but let's face facts. I'm the type of person with a Wii right now. As it stands, the Wii is as hard if not harder to find then a PS3. The only way to have gotten one is to have pre-ordered, camped, spent a bundle, or got really lucky. Only one of those scenarios really encorporate non-gamers into the fold and it's the least likely of the four scenarios.

The simple fact is that the Wii will probably not be "in stores" until February/March. By that time, we'll have Wii Sports, Wii Play, Rayman, Elebits, Wario Ware Smooth Moves, and maybe Cooking Mama: Cook Off which are simple games to control and play. Coupled with Super Swing Golf which seems pretty straight forward and Sonic might be around too which gives us seven/eight games that are pretty straight forward.

Yes, Zelda is a pain in the butt to pick up blind if you've never played games before. Yes, it takes time to learn how to play Excite Truck or Trauma Center or DBZ or Madden. All of those things are true. The simple fact is that there are quite a few simplistic games, weighted heavily towards mini games yes, that are very intuative and easy to play. So while Wii Sports might be a bit of a bait and switch when the Wii was first released, but by the time mom and pop can walk into a local Wal Mart to buy a Wii, the simplistic, easy to pick up games will be there.

I'm not going to say "OMG the Wii lets you do everything with one button", but there are several games now and in the near future that fit the "games for everyone" mold.[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with this. What I'm saying is that there seems to be an illusion, especially leading up to the Wii's release, that the new controller will make ALL games simple to play. Obviously Nintendo isn't trying to fight that idea.

Even though there will be other simple games, any CAG who thinks the new controller means he can now easily play all of his favorite games with his nongamer friends is in for a disappointment.

$200 by spring? No way in hell.
DVD playback- if it is as easy as a simple firmware update, probably.
More Colors- Maybe (and that is a maybe depending on how well the Wii sells throughout the next few months, if there is less demand then sure).

360 Pricedrop- I am thinking more of a $100 price drop. Think of it this way, the Wii is $250 and well is gaining steam. MS needs to create a diversion away from the Wii and well having the core $50 less than the Wii will shift some sales away from the Wii. Plus having a Premium 360 for half of the PS3 just finishes Sony.

Nintendo has no reason to drop the price. The Wii is selling out everywhere. It will continue to for months. Why take a $50 hit 'just because'. I'm gonna start a rumor soon about PS3. Its gonna be $300 with 3 free games. A Kay-Bee manager told me so.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
360 Pricedrop- I am thinking more of a $100 price drop. Think of it this way, the Wii is $250 and well is gaining steam. MS needs to create a diversion away from the Wii and well having the core $50 less than the Wii will shift some sales away from the Wii. Plus having a Premium 360 for half of the PS3 just finishes
Sony.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I read the first sentence of this and the exact words that went through my mind were "That would finish Sony," which is how you ended your post.

What they'd probably do is drop it for $200 minus Wii Sports, and have Wii Sports available at a budget price, thereby not really dropping the price by much technically, but the system cost would still be $50 lower.

B-I-N-G-O.

Besides, if they keep including Wii Sports forever and ever, amen, then many of these previously elusive "non-gamers" won't have any incentive to try anything else. I question how many of them will want to immerse themselves any further in the machine than the odd game of Bowling or Tennis, but that's a question Nintendo won't get a definitive answer to unless they take a chance.

And really, is the Gamecube's price drop that much of a barometer? I certainly think the Wii is a much, much bigger deal during the launch window than that console was. If sales are still brisk this Spring, why drop the price? I see this price drop closer to early Fall '07.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Besides, if they keep including Wii Sports forever and ever, amen, then many of these previously elusive "non-gamers" won't have any incentive to try anything else. I question how many of them will want to immerse themselves any further in the machine than the odd game of Bowling or Tennis, but that's a question Nintendo won't get a definitive answer to unless they take a chance.[/QUOTE]

Unlike MS or Sony, Nintendo shouldn't care if that happens. They make a huge profit on each Wii sold, and as you said who knows what other games the nongamers would buy?

No one listen to rickonker anymore. Dude is a complete troll hiding behind a very flimsy charade.

You could get more stimulating conversation out of a pile of bricks.

And the pile of bricks probably have the courtesy to offer you a nice beverage as well.

Your call, but you're missing out.

[quote name='rickonker']I totally agree with this. What I'm saying is that there seems to be an illusion, especially leading up to the Wii's release, that the new controller will make ALL games simple to play. Obviously Nintendo isn't trying to fight that idea.

Even though there will be other simple games, any CAG who thinks the new controller means he can now easily play all of his favorite games with his nongamer friends is in for a disappointment.[/QUOTE]

In fairness to Nintendo, Excite Truck, Wario, Wii Play, and Wii Sports are all launch games (Japan/US) with simple control schemes. 4 out of 5 of the first party launch games world wide have been simple. Nintendo can't control the 3rd Parties though. I feel that Nintendo is holding up their end of the bargain for delivering on the simple control scheme.

I can see a price drop on the 360 in concert with the new 65mm CPU - they will be supposedly cheaper to manufacture than the current chip. Also, if the chip is reliable and cooler, MS will likely factor in less costs in replacing defective 360's.
I don't see the Wii dropping in price for the foreseeable future - selling like hotcakes right now. But how long will the Wii madness last?

[quote name='gizmogc']Nintendo has no reason to drop the price. The Wii is selling out everywhere. It will continue to for months. Why take a $50 hit 'just because'. I'm gonna start a rumor soon about PS3. Its gonna be $300 with 3 free games. A Kay-Bee manager told me so.[/QUOTE]

Your joke might not be too far off the mark if Sony doesn't pull it together. A telling sign - I was at Fry's today during a VERY busy Friday afternoon. I had a hard time finding a place to park. They had a sign up in the front (where everyone entering the store could see it) saying they had PS3's in stock and showing the bundle: PS3 + 6 games for retail ($960). There didn't seem to be many takers (in the 30 minutes I was there all they did was pull all the games out for one guy and then he decided not to get it). Sure, if it was the console itself it probably would have been sold out already, but still... This is 1 week before Christmas, when you figure people would be desperate enough. They might really have to bundle games (for free!) with it by the time they are plentiful.

Meanwhile, I don't see Nintendo having to do a damn thing with the Wii besides make sure games continue to come out for it. Oh, and they might have to get a bigger money-counting machine (cue money-printing Wii photo...).

what the hell is wrong wit you fairies..

ill take a 299 360 core over a 250 wii anyday...

grow the fuck up..
stick that fairy wand up your a$$ses

edit..excuse the vulgarness..im a tad drunk

[quote name='guyver2077']what the hell is wrong wit you fairies..

ill take a 299 360 core over a 250 wii anyday...

grow the fuck up..
stick that fairy wand up your a$$ses

edit..excuse the vulgarness..im a tad drunk[/QUOTE]

Drunk, and apparently obsessed with shoving things in asses. I'm just sayin'... :lol:

And I wouldn't take that deal - the 360 only has about 2 games I'd want to play so I'm waiting for a price drop and more and cheaper games. I'll jump in when it has a healthy selection of $20 and under games (good ones I mean, not budget crap ;)). Same for the PS3, IF they fix that upscaling issue.

[quote name='io']Drunk, and apparently obsessed with shoving things in asses. I'm just sayin'... :lol:

And I wouldn't take that deal - the 360 only has about 2 games I'd want to play so I'm waiting for a price drop and more and cheaper games. I'll jump in when it has a healthy selection of $20 and under games (good ones I mean, not budget crap ;)). Same for the PS3, IF they fix that upscaling issue.[/quote]

once youve had unlimited power!!!!!...u cant go back

I heard from my top secret source that Nintendo is going to set up an office on Mars so Nintendo will be the first console to sell to aliens! True! I heard it from a TRU guy!

Why lower the price before the stores are stocked? I rather have it for $200, but then Nintendo would probably just sell Wii Sports for $50 anyways.

lets be honest about the wii, if nintendo is able to hit there goals of units made, most likely they will be abundant in stores by the latest mid summer (i would imagine early spring). Msft has the ability to drop the prices on both there units as they are allegedly making $75 per unit now. If msft drops the premium by $50, and the core by $50 why wouldn't nintendo want to stay ahead. They themselves are claiming not to be competing, why would they want to be the same price of a system they aren't competing with.

I don't believe Nintendo's claims of not competing with Microsoft and Sony. They know they're competing with them even if they've taken the Wii in a different direction. Sony can say the same thing about not competing with Nintendo but it's all a load of crap.

I think a 360 price drop is inevitable soon. And I think it would make sense for Nintendo to follow. Even if it's without Wii Sports bundled in. To hit the non-gamer I think they need to be under $200. And they can do it and still make a profit.

More colors seems logical, too, I think perhaps the lack of different colors for launch had to do with the problems with getting enough DS Lite units available. Makes sense to make as many systems as possible at launch in only one color then start manufacturing in multiple colors once supply meets demand.

bread's done
Back