Rumored "Arcade Banjo/Viva Pinata" bundle or Controller/Game/XBLA Bundle for $100?

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Not a lot of info is given, but Gamestop has this listed and available for preorder.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=77573

CheapyD Edit

It's likely this with perhaps some XBLA arcade codes thrown in...
http://www.amazon.ca/Controller-Bundle-Wireless-Gamepad-Pinata/dp/B0026P437I
51YoTQK6G-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, posted something about this on the blog. Then I saw this and quickly deleted my blog.

Anyways, if this is legit. It's crazy. Perhaps it's the beginning of a push to get consoles sold for the big Natal push come Holiday season?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Why do people seem to think that Natal will come bundled with 2 games that don't support it? Doesn't make any sense.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps updated versions, much like Nintendo and their updated GC games. If you could play Pikmin with a motion controller, why not viva pinata??? Those games actually seem very well suited for an update, and this could be their chance.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Perhaps updated versions, much like Nintendo and their updated GC games. If you could play Pikmin with a motion controller, why not viva pinata??? Those games actually seem very well suited for an update, and this could be their chance.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't new software make like 100 times more sense? Even new games in the Banjo / Viva Pinata series.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Doesn't new software make like 100 times more sense? Even new games in the Banjo / Viva Pinata series.[/QUOTE]

You mean like just new games? I'd say yes and no. On the yes side, people may not buy updates because they've already played the originals and don't want to shell out extra stuff, but on the no side, it may just be that people will recognize games that they've already played, and be intrigued as to how motion control will affect it. I doubt it would cost much more to do the updates, and it's much easier when in a time frame. It's really two sides of the same coin. Yes, new software makes sense because people may not double dip on these games, and no, it doesn't make sense because people will want to try out the new tech on familiar things.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']You mean like just new games? I'd say yes and no. On the yes side, people may not buy updates because they've already played the originals and don't want to shell out extra stuff, but on the no side, it may just be that people will recognize games that they've already played, and be intrigued as to how motion control will affect it. I doubt it would cost much more to do the updates, and it's much easier when in a time frame. It's really two sides of the same coin. Yes, new software makes sense because people may not double dip on these games, and no, it doesn't make sense because people will want to try out the new tech on familiar things.[/QUOTE]

I think new software in the same series would make more sense still, because it would be familiar enough to entice fans of the series and you would be able to sell to anyone, because there wouldn't be fence-sitters about re-buying the same product.

In the case with Nintendo and the Play Control series, they re-released HUGE titles. It's not like Banjo N&B or Viva Pinata TiP lit up the sales charts.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']I think new software in the same series would make more sense still, because it would be familiar enough to entice fans of the series and you would be able to sell to anyone, because there wouldn't be fence-sitters about re-buying the same product.

In the case with Nintendo and the Play Control series, they re-released HUGE titles. It's not like Banjo N&B or Viva Pinata TiP lit up the sales charts.[/QUOTE]

Pikmin wasn't all that huge, was it??? And that's part of the point of doing updates to THESE games. If they weren't so hot the first time, MS is probably hoping to nab the few fence-sitters who never bothered with this new gimmick. I think it makes perfect sense. It's low cost, and saves them the hassle of having to make a whole new game. Plus, if these weren't so hot to begin with, who says anyone WANTS a sequel?

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Obviously not you, so why waste your time posting?[/QUOTE]Hate seeing a deal thread get taken over by whether or not 360s should be $100 or whatever else wild tangents about software and profits etc they get thrown into.

I like the deals forum nice and clean.

[quote name='dallow']Hate seeing a deal thread get taken over by whether or not 360s should be $100 or whatever else wild tangents they get thrown into.

I like the deals forum nice and clean.[/QUOTE]

Okay, but we were habing a discussion about this "deal". Just seems weird to post something useless if you like seeing the forum clean, but whatever, you're the hypocrite.

Yup, I'm a big fat hypocrite I suppose.
Time for bed. Hope this thread is off the front page within a couple days.

[quote name='dallow']Yup, I'm a big fat hypocrite I suppose.
Time for bed. Hope this thread is off the front page within a couple days.[/QUOTE]

Just sayin'. lol

Also, time for bed for me too. I have school tomorrow, and I'm doing a jazz clinic.

I think it is a 1600 point card, bundled with a controller, headset and a month a gold with the 2 games. Based on all the bundles it sounds about right

I think this might be for the upcoming support of USB memory...so the controller, the games and an USB drive....it is unlikely they are going to push xbox live gold or points for XBL games on folks who don't have the means to actually save their purchases (yes, there is some onboard memory on arcades but not enough for more than a couple XBL games), which is where the USB drive comes into play. If folks have a, say 8GB usb drive attached to their arcade, MS can sell them XBL content. So a package like a controller, 2 games, 1600 points and something like a 360 branded 8GB USB stick makes sense at $99.

lol at people thinking this might have been a $100 360 itself... , although i can't really poke fun... the only reason i am on cag or gaming on my ps3 is because it was $90 broken and i had to self install blu ray laser for $60... launch 60gb for 150 still truckin 2 years after the fix!

[quote name='apathylad']Oh, wow. What a strange bundle, since those two games aren't exactly co-op heavy to warrant an extra controller. Something seems off, though. Banjo and Viva Pinata both run for about $20. The average 360 controller runs for $50.

$20 + $20 + $50 = $90

Edit: I suppose they could throw in both XBLA Banjo games, or even Perfect Dark.[/QUOTE]

They wouldn't bundle a FPS with a bunch of kids games.

[quote name='Strell']Actually, I fully understand that business model. But it has zero to do with this particular issue. Now if you want to argue that software is where the money is at, then we've got something more comparable. But since you aren't, we're not, and so the discussion is void.

You guys keep dreaming there's a $100 360 on the way with two second party games included. Then be sure to come back and whine when it doesn't happen.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like a $100-ish 360 has never happened. There was a Walmart sale (matched by Amazon) a few months ago where if you bought an Arcade for $199, you get a $100 gift card. And just last week, all major Canadian retailers had the Arcade for $129.

[quote name='chuckywang']You make it sound like a $100-ish 360 has never happened. There was a Walmart sale (matched by Amazon) a few months ago where if you bought an Arcade for $199, you get a $100 gift card. And just last week, all major Canadian retailers had the Arcade for $129.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that was Wal-Mart's choice (and Amazon for price matching, and you still had to pay $200 out of pocket.) Also, the Arcade itself may be valued at $100, but this is an entire bundle. At $100, it seems pretty unrealistic.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Pikmin wasn't all that huge, was it??? And that's part of the point of doing updates to THESE games. If they weren't so hot the first time, MS is probably hoping to nab the few fence-sitters who never bothered with this new gimmick. I think it makes perfect sense. It's low cost, and saves them the hassle of having to make a whole new game. Plus, if these weren't so hot to begin with, who says anyone WANTS a sequel?[/QUOTE]

Re-releasing unsuccessful software isn't exactly a sound strategy.

I think that Pikmin was pretty successful, then fan interest was piqued with the inclusion of Olimar in Smash Brothers.

Not to mention, I honestly don't think that either of these games would be particularly fun given Natal support. I just really don't see it, but I guess I've been wrong before. We shall see.

[quote name='chuckywang']You make it sound like a $100-ish 360 has never happened. There was a Walmart sale (matched by Amazon) a few months ago where if you bought an Arcade for $199, you get a $100 gift card. And just last week, all major Canadian retailers had the Arcade for $129.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Interfeci']Yeah, but that was Wal-Mart's choice (and Amazon for price matching, and you still had to pay $200 out of pocket.) Also, the Arcade itself may be valued at $100, but this is an entire bundle. At $100, it seems pretty unrealistic.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. A limited-time deal from one or two businesses (especially ones that involve giftcards that get you back into their stores and/or onto their sites) is not the same as a manufacturer's price drop...and adding two games. You'll either see something added to the Arcade package or a drop to $150 long, long before you see it drop to $100 and have two games added to the package. I severely doubt the machines are moving that poorly that MS needs to slash prices like that.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Re-releasing unsuccessful software isn't exactly a sound strategy.

I think that Pikmin was pretty successful, then fan interest was piqued with the inclusion of Olimar in Smash Brothers.

Not to mention, I honestly don't think that either of these games would be particularly fun given Natal support. I just really don't see it, but I guess I've been wrong before. We shall see.[/QUOTE]

It's not unsuccessful, but it's not Uncharted or Halo. You are correct on your last point though. We shall see.

bread's done
Back