Rune Factory 2 - $19.96 - NEW - Amazon.com

20$ seems decent enough. But I'll wait for some reviews on the game. I didn't really enjoy the 1st game as much as I thought I would...

If it's anything like the first one, it's definitely worth $20. Rune Factory is the best Harvest Moon game yet, imho.

Okay, I'm done with Amazon. I paid $26 for this (came with the pre-order plush) and now it's $7 cheaper days later. I can't refuse the package without losing the stupid plush so I'll keep it but I'm going to GS from here on out. The lack of price match post purchase is absurd and with gas being much cheaper I'd rather go shopping than deal with this BS.

[EDIT - Gift is probably the plush. I'm going to order one and refuse the other one. Screw them, I'm not getting ripped off like this!]

Damn, my prime trial ended. I'd have to spend the same amount of money I save on a filer to get free shipping as I'd save so never mind :(

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']20$ seems decent enough. But I'll wait for some reviews on the game. I didn't really enjoy the 1st game as much as I thought I would...[/QUOTE]

Felt the same way. Pretty tempting, with the price it is at already. I don't care much for the plushy, but it's better than nothing. What to do?!?!?!

[quote name='prateeko']Okay, I'm done with Amazon. I paid $26 for this (came with the pre-order plush) and now it's $7 cheaper days later. I can't refuse the package without losing the stupid plush so I'll keep it but I'm going to GS from here on out. The lack of price match post purchase is absurd and with gas being much cheaper I'd rather go shopping than deal with this BS.

[EDIT - Gift is probably the plush. I'm going to order one and refuse the other one. Screw them, I'm not getting ripped off like this!][/QUOTE]

GIFT is/was the plush.... just say you spent 7 on the plush

While the logic of saying you payed $7 for the plush isn't bad , the fact still remains that between this , Eternal Poison , Last Remnant , and a few other games that recently came out that I can't think of at the moment , it's absolutely ridiculous to get the game when it first comes out , only to have it drop by $5 , $10 , $15 or $20 within a week or two , with no way to get the difference refunded back to you except to rebuy the game at the cheaper price and return the first one for your money back.

I thought the first one was pretty decent, and for $20 you can't go wrong. Thanks OP...
1pix.gif
1pix.gif

For those of you on the fence about it, here are my impressions of the game:

When you start out, you play as Kyle, who is basically the "God Mode" farmer. All his tools are max level from the start, he gets a barn about ten minutes in, and overall pwns at the whole business. On the other hand, though, he can't cultivate higher-level crops crops, cook, craft, or any of the stuff from the first Rune Factory. You're supposed to spend this time getting the hang of the game and finding a girl to woo over for marriage.

When you finally get married, you have a child, there's a time lapse, and then you play as the kid. Then you get access to the full range of stuff to do, the dungeons open up fully, etc. Unfortunately, it takes so long to get married that what was probably meant to be a tutorial section of sorts ends up taking quite a long time... more than a year (120 days) of in-game time. Unless you really speed through the first generation (i.e. get up, water crops, give a gift to your girlfriend, go right back to sleep), you'll be playing as Kyle for a while.

[quote name='commish26']I thought the first one was pretty decent, and for $20 you can't go wrong. Thanks OP...
1pix.gif
1pix.gif
[/quote]

yep, i agree with you.

$20 aint that bad
icon_smile.gif

[quote name='StarKnightX']While the logic of saying you payed $7 for the plush isn't bad , the fact still remains that between this , Eternal Poison , Last Remnant , and a few other games that recently came out that I can't think of at the moment , it's absolutely ridiculous to get the game when it first comes out , only to have it drop by $5 , $10 , $15 or $20 within a week or two , with no way to get the difference refunded back to you except to rebuy the game at the cheaper price and return the first one for your money back.[/QUOTE]

The game dropped over the weekend and I have it sitting sealed (in shipping box no less) in the management office (in my apartment complex). Tomorrow UPS get to take it back, I'll be refunded the whole amount and Amazon will send me a cheaper version. They can remove their pricematch policy but I shall (within all Amazon rules) get the difference because it is BS that they change prices over the weekend and not offer reimbursement. Hell, make it 14 days or as long as your return window, but don't just dick us over like this.

Holy cow...I held off on gettting the first one so long that the second one is now $20. Unless they screwed something up bigtime with the sequel, I should probably jump on this.
I played so much Harvest Moon GB I burned myself out on the series (much like Pokemon R/B/Y) and I've been waiting to pick one up for some time.

[quote name='Wavedash']I take it the storyline has nothing to do with the first game then?

Would be nice if these came in Jp language option.[/QUOTE]

I think this is independent from the first one, but the Wii version is a direct sequel to the original. Maybe.

[quote name='StarKnightX']While the logic of saying you payed $7 for the plush isn't bad , the fact still remains that between this , Eternal Poison , Last Remnant , and a few other games that recently came out that I can't think of at the moment , it's absolutely ridiculous to get the game when it first comes out , only to have it drop by $5 , $10 , $15 or $20 within a week or two , with no way to get the difference refunded back to you except to rebuy the game at the cheaper price and return the first one for your money back.[/quote]

I agree! This blows @$$. I'm writing and complaining, and... crying?

I'm seriously ticked. Maybe I have no right to be, but jeez. It just came out! Couldn't they have dropped the price the day they shipped the damn thing to the pre-order customers??

In more cheerful news, it's a great game, well worth $30 unless you already burned yourself out on the first one. It's just... jeez.

I agree with the sentiment around here. I got screwed when Amazon dropped the price of Valkyria Chronicles a week after release.

Why do I have this feeling that Amazon is going to do the same BS with Persona 4 after it's released. Maybe I should cancel my preorder and just do another reserve at Gamestop so I can get two copes of the artbook.

I got an e-mail back, and they're not moving. I guess I can console myself by saying I got the plushie (which I didn't want) and a great game, and it was still under $30 total. Sending it back, I'd imagine they would make me pay 2-day shipping (Prime), so I'd be out whatever money I was saving by returning it and re-purchasing it at a lower price.

Amazon prices are such a gamble. Up and down, up and down... It sounds stupid to complain about price drops, but frick! Don't they get how annoying it is to buy something and see it $10 cheaper the next day and not be able to get money back? That's absurd, frankly. Target or any other retailer would give you $10 back, no questions asked, in a situation like that, as long as you had the item and a receipt.

I'm annoyed.

Edit--More... So I clicked the "Did this e-mail resolve your issue? No" button and wrote them a rather long diatribe listing at least four reasons why I think it's totally lame that their best solution is for me to send the product back and re-purchase the exact same thing at a lower price and how other retailers, like Target, would never require such silliness.

We'll see if I get any kind of response.

My brother-in-law is friends with Jeff Bezo's barista and knows where he gets coffee. I will sit my ass down at his table and harp if I need to.

Just kidding about the Jeff Bezo thing. I don't even have a brother-in-law! I'm serious about the rest, though. :) Amazon has been really bizarre lately. Their prices and deals are great (at least they satisfy me), but things just have not been working out, what with the gift cards not going through without prodding, all this strangeness with price guarantees, etc etc etc. And dang it, I'm pissed that I missed out on the Xbox Gold Box thing today, too! I would have bought Vesperia! (Not that it's their fault, but jeez louise, I'm feeling cavil, okay??)

You know what, guys, all these deals being tossed around right about now has me going shopping the day after christmas lol! Always appreciate the info, but these price changes help make me more hesitant than anything, especially on a high dollar purchase. Prices have dropped so much your gonna be disappointed on one thing or another for sure....:cry:

I noticed this deal when it showed up in my gold box for $18. Ended up biting on it.

However, I do agree that as much as I love these aggressive amazon price discounts, the new adjustment policy actually makes makes me think twice about ordering at all now. I think amazon actually needs to stabilize the prices if they want people to commit to purchases or else re-instate some more flexible form the price adjusting policy. Hell, even if it's 7 days, I'd take that over this confusing "how low will it go/when do I buy" mess it is now.

Those who ordered before the price dropped...whatever happened to Amazon's policy of giving you the difference back if the price changes w/in X days? I used that earlier this year...but now can't find the policy on their website.

EDIT: Gah! Looks like they dropped that policy. Not a good business strategy, Amazon...well, for consumers, anyway.

I already ranted a little about this in the Resistance 2 thread, but you know what, I'm still feeling peeved, so I'm going to rant a little more.

I feel like these super-early drops violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the preorder price guarantee. The idea of the guarantee is supposed to be that you promise Amazon your business in advance, and in return, they make sure you get the best price they can offer. They get your purchase, you get the best possible deal, loyalty is engendered and you're more likely to give them your future business-- everybody wins!

Lately I feel like they are no longer acting in good faith. They still promise the same deal, but they deliberately hold out on the lowest price until just after preorder customers aren't eligible for it anymore. A win-win customer loyalty program is now just another cynical, meaningless marketing trick.

Yeah yeah, they're a business, they don't owe me anything, I know all that. But not everything has to be 100% cynical and adversarial, even in business. I used to be Amazon's biggest fan, I gave them all of my business and I constantly recommended them, but now with this issue, plus everything else that's been going on with them lately, it's like a completely different company.

I don't know about this. On one hand I've always been a fan of the Harvest Moon games (the older ones specifically). But I bought the first Rune Factory when it first came out and never got into it. Rather than being addictive it just came off as difficult and clumsy. I'm not sure if I should give the series another shot or not.

[quote name='Filbert']I don't know about this. On one hand I've always been a fan of the Harvest Moon games (the older ones specifically). But I bought the first Rune Factory when it first came out and never got into it. Rather than being addictive it just came off as difficult and clumsy. I'm not sure if I should give the series another shot or not.[/quote]

It's odd working a dual-conversation in here, talking about the price guarantees (totally agree with the vitriol above, by the way) and also about the game itself.

As for this comment, if you didn't like the first one, nothing will make you like this one either. It's just an improved version of the first. Unless you didn't give the first one a good enough chance, nothing has really changed here.

Which is fine with me. The first one knocked my socks off. I absolutely loved it.

[quote name='THams']If it's anything like the first one, it's definitely worth $20. Rune Factory is the best Harvest Moon game yet, imho.[/quote]

Totally agree! That game got it's hooks into me in a bad way. The combat and crafting elements really diversified the game play and made it hard for me to put down.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I already ranted a little about this in the Resistance 2 thread, but you know what, I'm still feeling peeved, so I'm going to rant a little more.

I feel like these super-early drops violate the spirit, if not the letter, of the preorder price guarantee. The idea of the guarantee is supposed to be that you promise Amazon your business in advance, and in return, they make sure you get the best price they can offer. They get your purchase, you get the best possible deal, loyalty is engendered and you're more likely to give them your future business-- everybody wins!

Lately I feel like they are no longer acting in good faith. They still promise the same deal, but they deliberately hold out on the lowest price until just after preorder customers aren't eligible for it anymore. A win-win customer loyalty program is now just another cynical, meaningless marketing trick.

Yeah yeah, they're a business, they don't owe me anything, I know all that. But not everything has to be 100% cynical and adversarial, even in business. I used to be Amazon's biggest fan, I gave them all of my business and I constantly recommended them, but now with this issue, plus everything else that's been going on with them lately, it's like a completely different company.[/quote]

I hate to fuel OT, but I totally agree on this. They've got to stabilize the prices or else bring back the price protection--even if it's in a more limited form. It's like now I have no incentive to even buy stuff any more much less pre-order.

[quote name='butaneko']Totally agree! That game got it's hooks into me in a bad way. The combat and crafting elements really diversified the game play and made it hard for me to put down.[/quote]

And I want to second it. I was so enamored with the first one. I would have paid $50 for it. Everything just fit perfectly to create one of the most pleasurable gaming experiences I've ever had.

[quote name='gunm']I hate to fuel OT, but I totally agree on this. They've got to stabilize the prices or else bring back the price protection--even if it's in a more limited form. It's like now I have no incentive to even buy stuff any more much less pre-order.[/quote]

I'm not sure there's anything that can be done. I wrote them my big, argumentative essay and am awaiting what will probably be a useless reply. I guess our only choice is to be super careful whenever we make an order, which really stinks.

Still waiting on my $50 gift card towards games that I was supposed to get in the e-mail as well. If they give me that "you don't qualify" shiv again... Sigh!

I just don't get the whining about price drops. No one likes buying crap and finding it cheaper a week later, but the reason most of us are shopping at amazon in the first place is it's already cheaper than most other options with the no tax and generally free shipping. It seems pretty pathetic to then complain that prices have gone down since you bought the item. If you had purchased it from a brick and mortar or other online site, you would have paid even more. Grow up a little.

Thanks, OP, bought one. Had it on my wish list, but couldn't justify the purchase back when it was $26. The plush "squirrel" will go to my daughter. I put "squirrel" in quotes because I'll be doggoned if that isn't a rabbit:

squirrel_75._V262242568_.jpg

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I already ranted a little about this in the Resistance 2 thread, but you know what, I'm still feeling peeved, so I'm going to rant a little more.

Yeah yeah, they're a business, they don't owe me anything, I know all that. But not everything has to be 100% cynical and adversarial, even in business. I used to be Amazon's biggest fan, I gave them all of my business and I constantly recommended them, but now with this issue, plus everything else that's been going on with them lately, it's like a completely different company.[/quote]

I definitely agree with you. Same thing has happened for Metal Slug 7 for the Nintendo DS which was released a week or two ago. While it's nice to see these price drops, they are happening very soon and it really is not fair to the people who have pre-ordered it since Day 1. What's worse is that Amazon dropped their price protection a couple of months back so Amazon is actually getting away with ripping people off.

Ever since they started charging tax in this state, I've been shopping less and less there. Now it's to the point that people should start complaining about these erractic price changes.

well...here's my 2 cents-my take is that if amazon is selling a specific title cheaper than anywhere else, even if the price fluctuates, it still is a decent deal overall-however, I do agree that pulling that price guarantee thing is kind of idiotic-it really makes little sense to revoke price guarantee completely-if it had been like a term the same length as the return, it would've make a lot more sense-I suppose people can always do return and rebuy (unless they do restocking charges, but I've never returned items to amazon, can't speak on that point)

I order Metal Slug 7 and Rune Factory 2 this weekend for 24.99 and 27.99. Now they are both 19.99. I'm so freakin $#&^#$$&*%&%^

[quote name='superdry']I agree with the sentiment around here. I got screwed when Amazon dropped the price of Valkyria Chronicles a week after release.

Why do I have this feeling that Amazon is going to do the same BS with Persona 4 after it's released. Maybe I should cancel my preorder and just do another reserve at Gamestop so I can get two copes of the artbook.[/quote]
you, my friend, shouldnt speak a'tall.
tongue.gif

[quote name='boyward']Thanks, OP, bought one. Had it on my wish list, but couldn't justify the purchase back when it was $26. The plush "squirrel" will go to my daughter. I put "squirrel" in quotes because I'll be doggoned if that isn't a rabbit:

squirrel_75._V262242568_.jpg
[/quote]

Ha! I guess it's a stylized, anime squirrel from Rune Factory land. :)

[quote name='Abel1337']you, my friend, shouldnt speak a'tall.
tongue.gif
[/quote]

:lol:. It's just annoying that Amazon has been doing this recently...price-drop the game a few days to a week after release.

But, seriously, the reason I have two copies of P4 pre-ordered is to have one set of all the PS2 SMT games open to play and one set sealed as a collection (I'm a big fan of the series). So, I want one of the artbooks paired up with my sealed copy of P4.

[quote name='jererjerer']well...here's my 2 cents-my take is that if amazon is selling a specific title cheaper than anywhere else, even if the price fluctuates, it still is a decent deal overall-however, I do agree that pulling that price guarantee thing is kind of idiotic-it really makes little sense to revoke price guarantee completely-if it had been like a term the same length as the return, it would've make a lot more sense-I suppose people can always do return and rebuy (unless they do restocking charges, but I've never returned items to amazon, can't speak on that point)[/quote]

Returns are the customer's responsibility--you don't ship it yourself they will deduct their cost from your refund when you use their pre-paid label. Only in very limited circumstances will they cover the return charges.

[quote name='gunm']Returns are the customer's responsibility--you don't ship it yourself they will deduct their cost from your refund when you use their pre-paid label. Only in very limited circumstances will they cover the return charges.[/quote]
QFT. Only when it's a damaged, defective or wrong item would they cover return shipping. To return and buy at a lower price you would want to cover your own shipping. Otherwise, if you abuse it you may get your account banned for life like they did in a massive ban recently.

[quote name='prateeko']Okay, I'm done with Amazon. I paid $26 for this (came with the pre-order plush) and now it's $7 cheaper days later. I can't refuse the package without losing the stupid plush so I'll keep it but I'm going to GS from here on out. The lack of price match post purchase is absurd and with gas being much cheaper I'd rather go shopping than deal with this BS.

[EDIT - Gift is probably the plush. I'm going to order one and refuse the other one. Screw them, I'm not getting ripped off like this!][/QUOTE]

I don't understand this mentality.

bread's done
Back