S.t.a.l.k.e.r. - $27.90 @ GoGamer.com, w/Quake 4 - $32.90

Pretty good game, although if you don't have the latest hardware (8800 GTX, dual core cpu) expect to run the game in DirectX 8 mode.

Played that game and beat it, for the love of god whatever you do, patch it. Otherwise I think that may be the best game I have played all year, since the parts leading up to the end were just so awesome, I dont think Ill ever forget it :) .

It was at my local target on clearance for 9.97 but i cannot get a single freaking game to run on vista so i didnt even try.

[quote name='buffdrew84']It was at my local target on clearance for 9.97 but i cannot get a single freaking game to run on vista so i didnt even try.[/quote]

HOLY CRAP!

STALKER FOR $10 at Target??!?!?!? :hot:

[quote name='buffdrew84']It was at my local target on clearance for 9.97 but i cannot get a single freaking game to run on vista so i didnt even try.[/QUOTE]
I would have bought that in a jiffy.

STALKER is still sitting in the new release section of my local Target.

If anyone could find Stalker at their Target store for that 9.97 price or has a used one, I'd pay $20 shipped for it. Target stores near me tend to get their clearance raided by employees sooner then I can get ahold of anything.

For those in the know with video cards, is a Geforce 8500GT/8600GT much better then a Geforce 7600GS (256MB models)? I have a Pentium D 3.0GHZ (Windows XP Pro, 2GB Ram) I use to play Half Life & Valve games. Everything else I play on Xbox 360. I don't want to spend more then $100-$150 for any computer video cards since I'm not a heavy gamer.

[quote name='redgopher']Pretty good game, although if you don't have the latest hardware (8800 GTX, dual core cpu) expect to run the game in DirectX 8 mode.[/quote]
Runs on max settings at a consistent 30+fps (it's good enough) w/ an AMD 3700 64, 2 gigs ram, evga geforce 7600gt. So no, you don't need a high end system. Some systems just don't like the game.

[quote name='ryanflucas']If anyone could find Stalker at their Target store for that 9.97 price or has a used one, I'd pay $20 shipped for it. Target stores near me tend to get their clearance raided by employees sooner then I can get ahold of anything.

For those in the know with video cards, is a Geforce 8500GT/8600GT much better then a Geforce 7600GS (256MB models)? I have a Pentium D 3.0GHZ (Windows XP Pro, 2GB Ram) I use to play Half Life & Valve games. Everything else I play on Xbox 360. I don't want to spend more then $100-$150 for any computer video cards since I'm not a heavy gamer.[/quote]

The 8 Series support DirectX 10 so yes they are better.

[quote name='ryanflucas']If anyone could find Stalker at their Target store for that 9.97 price or has a used one, I'd pay $20 shipped for it. Target stores near me tend to get their clearance raided by employees sooner then I can get ahold of anything.

For those in the know with video cards, is a Geforce 8500GT/8600GT much better then a Geforce 7600GS (256MB models)? I have a Pentium D 3.0GHZ (Windows XP Pro, 2GB Ram) I use to play Half Life & Valve games. Everything else I play on Xbox 360. I don't want to spend more then $100-$150 for any computer video cards since I'm not a heavy gamer.[/QUOTE]

7900 GS was posted as on sale on SD today for less than 150 AR. Probably the best card you can get in that range still.

funny, i tried to play stalker on my 6800 and it was horrid. I just built a new system and installing the game as we speak.

For those in the know with video cards, is a Geforce 8500GT/8600GT much better then a Geforce 7600GS (256MB models)? I have a Pentium D 3.0GHZ (Windows XP Pro, 2GB Ram) I use to play Half Life & Valve games. Everything else I play on Xbox 360. I don't want to spend more then $100-$150 for any computer video cards since I'm not a heavy gamer.[/QUOTE]

For sure the 8600GT is. I haven't looked at the 8500.

If you can though, the 8800GTS is a much better value. Best bang for the buck of anything on the market (starts at $260 last time I checked.)

[quote name='Kromis']HOLY CRAP!

STALKER FOR $10 at Target??!?!?!? :hot:[/quote]

Tom Clancy's GR Advanced Warfighter is also $14 at Target and Marc Ecko's Getting Up is $1.26 :hot:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The 8 Series support DirectX 10 so yes they are better.[/quote]

The 8500GT supports DX10 as well, but it sure as heck is not better than the 7600GS. As for the 8600GT(s)...eh, you're better off getting a 7900 on sale, with the same or better performance for less $$. Or, as other have said, spend about $20-30 more and get the 8800GTS, since it mops the floor with the 8600 series.

Price vs Performance. Anandtech has a write up on it in their Video section. It was a wash between the 7900 and 8600, with the 7900 outperforming it in several games.

Go to Anandtech and read the Final Words on their review, as it is similar to others that I have read. The ATI 19xx series beats the 8600 as well.

[quote name='adambomb']Runs on max settings at a consistent 30+fps (it's good enough) w/ an AMD 3700 64, 2 gigs ram, evga geforce 7600gt. So no, you don't need a high end system. Some systems just don't like the game.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet dollars to mother fucking donuts you're running it with static lighting mode (directx 8).

bread's done
Back