S-Video cable for PS2?

simpleblur

CAGiversary!
The av cables that came with it seems to be nearing their time, instead of simply replacing it thought I'd try out s-video. And correct me if I'm wrong, but unofficial cables can mess up dvd playback and/or void the warranty? Prefer something official, but third party suggestions welcome.

I got the S-Video cable for PS3 at Fry's for 19.99. The cables are compatible between PS3 and PS2, pretty sweet huh? You will definitely need these if you get a PS3 and can't use HDMI cables because composite cables just suck.

A third-party cable may provide worse quality video and audio but it will never mess up anything with the system. I've used a universal S-video cable I got for under $10 at Gamestop on my PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox for years with no problems.

If you don't need S-Video cables for any other system, play-asia.com looks to have the cheapest cables.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-n-49-en-70-84.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information, I got some s-video cables from gamestop for 12.99 and only realized it was madcatz after I bought them. They seem okay, the connections seem a bit snug and took a little effort to fit it into the ps2. The s-video didn't seem to work (i.e. picture, but no sound), don't know if i need another cable or something called analog-, optical-, digital-, sound cable. Instead I just stuck with the av cables the s-video cable is comboed with.

Once upon a time I had the madcatz s-video cable. One time after a party (may or may not be related) I could only get a black and white image from the s-video cable. I couldn't see any signs of damage though.

[quote name='probablysober']Once upon a time I had the madcatz s-video cable. One time after a party (may or may not be related) I could only get a black and white image from the s-video cable. I couldn't see any signs of damage though.[/quote]

There was no party involved, but the samething just happened to me. I have the N64/GC, PS2, Xbox multi-system MadCatz S-Video cable. My TV only has one S-Video input, so I disconnected the game cable in order to watch my DVDs. I just learned that my PS3 can use the same cables as my PS2, so I hooked up my MadCatz cable...but now it only shows black & white :whistle2:(

I just bought a sealed official Sony brand S-Video cable from a member over at GameTrading Zone. Can't wait to be able to read the subtitles on Condemned 2 now :)

Hmm I have picture (color included) but no sound. What is the name of the additional cable that I'd need to get sound, is it an audio optical cable?

bread's done
Back