S-Video with Video Switch Questions

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
262 (100%)
I just bought a Mad Catz S-Video cable for my Wii and I was happy with the upgrade to the visuals...its not 480p but the menus and everything do look noticeably sharper than they did when using composite. I have my PS2 hooked up to the same TV via composite and I have this switch:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-CRF940-Modulator-Gold-Plated-Connectors/dp/B00008X5DD

Right now I have the Wii going directly into the TV but I would prefer to use the switch. I'm thinking of grabbing an S-Video cable for the PS2. Now since I had multiple consoles going through this I have a set of standard yellow, red, and white composite cables going from the front of the TV to the input of the switch. The Wii is going to a seperate input on the back. Now my questions:

1. If I go solely s-video would I still need to plug in a yellow composite video cable for the consoles that are not hooked up via s-video? (EX: Wii (S-Video), PS2 (S-Video) SNES (Composite)

2. Can I use any S-Video cable for connecting it from the TV to the switch? I probably have one in my closet from my DVD player. Would it be wiser to grab something like this?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1020703&p_id=2187&seq=1&format=2&style=

3. If I don't buy a new s-video cable like the one above with audio included can I use a single S-Video cable and then just the red and white (leaving the yellow video out) of the standard composite for audio?

Thanks in advance.

My experience is that if you mix video inputs (S-Video with Composite), you need both those inputs going from the system selector to the TV. A composite signal carried over s-video will look crappy.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']My experience is that if you mix video inputs (S-Video with Composite), you need both those inputs going from the system selector to the TV. A composite signal carried over s-video will look crappy.[/QUOTE]

Ok that is what I thought but now...can I use the composite audio along with an s-video cable? I mean the s-video cable (I linked to) still uses composite audio right?

[quote name='jkam']Ok that is what I thought but now...can I use the composite audio along with an s-video cable? I mean the s-video cable (I linked to) still uses composite audio right?[/QUOTE]

Yes, s-video only carries video so you'll still need the composite audio.

Hooking up the yellow composite won't do anything. The s-video signal will NOT be output through the composite cable. The benefit would be if you have something you want to hook up composite at a later date, you can do that and not have to worry about it.

bread's done
Back