Saboteur $5.79 PC Boxed on Amazon

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Apparently often overlooked, enjoyed by many, but also glitchy! This game has breasts.

http://www.amazon.com/EA-Games-40490The-Saboteur-Download/dp/B004BA5EOC

My 360 copy is sat here unopened, I keep getting distracted, but I heard enough good things about it to buy it. ;) Seems like a good price for a good game not too long after release. ^^

Edit: Download version back up to $30, but the boxed version is still available for $5.79.

If you're desperate to download it, Gamersgate have it for a less palatable $10.18 here: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-TSA/the-saboteur

Last edited by a moderator:
You can edit your title by clicking on Edit, and then Go Advanced.

I want this game. I wish it was this cheap on Steam!

I've been looking at Amazon's dl games section since last week. They have some decent games at very good prices. And they state that they offer unlimited dl's. I wonder if they're going to try and become a major player? They always become a force in a market when they put their mind to it.

If you like open world games or just a great game with a neat art style you should snag this one up. Just beware that the PC version of this game has MAJOR problems with ATI cards and while there are some fixes I think around to get it to run I don't think it will ever see a patch due to the company going under.

quick edit:

I know that warning sounded really down on the game but its not meant to be. It really is a great game you just might run into some tech issues with the PC version if your running an ATI card. In fact I think it was one of the over looked gems in 2009 it just didn't get the polish it deserved due to business problems.

FYI the retail version of this game does NOT have activation, hence why I bought it last year :)

Haven't played it yet, but it sounds pretty solid at worst, and their previous game was petty good (though I guess this is even better).

[quote name='Wolfpup']FYI the retail version of this game does NOT have activation, hence why I bought it last year :).[/QUOTE]
It should; I bought the physical version at GameStop for $9.99, and it definitely required online activation. (Same with Dead Space.)

Either way, I highly recommend the game; It's Pandemic's best title, and a very memorable, fun ride.

[quote name='darthballz']Is this game still broken on ATI cards?[/QUOTE]

I believe there was a patch to fix that problem.

BUT WARNING !!!

There was a problem with playing this game with a 4 core processor wether it be a intel or amd. So buyer beware. I dont know if they fixed this problem yet but I highly doubt they did.

[quote name='eastx']You can edit your title by clicking on Edit, and then Go Advanced.

I want this game. I wish it was this cheap on Steam![/QUOTE]

i dont think this game is on steam

Hmm I bought this game from EA a year ago I think. It seemed to run fine on my Quad Core. But then again I never got around to finishing it, something else I bought took all my attention away and I never went back to it since (IIRC it was Mass Effect 2).

[quote name='Ogami Itto']JESUS! first ATI cards , then quad core processors. What does this game run on?[/QUOTE]
I can also vouch for quad core's. I played the game through on a Q8200 without any issues. Users have to install the beta patch and solve a 360 controller glitch to get the game working 100%. It's worth the trouble; After that, it's smooth all the way through.

Highly recommended, especially at $6.

As for the nudity, they're just polygons with textures. (Go outside. Fresh air and exercise.) In addition, this "feature" can be disabled.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']It should; I bought the physical version at GameStop for $9.99, and it definitely required online activation. (Same with Dead Space.)

Either way, I highly recommend the game; It's Pandemic's best title, and a very memorable, fun ride.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, that bites. I did a ton of research first...hope you're mistaken somehow :(

[quote name='eastx']Can anyone confirm whether the retail version requires the disc to be in the drive to play?[/QUOTE]

You can always download a no-dvd fix if it does, which is TOTALLY legal.

[quote name='eastx']Can anyone confirm whether the retail version requires the disc to be in the drive to play?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it wants the disc. Same with Dead Space, another EA-published game.

That being said, I recommend investing in the digital version.

Great deal! I love this game. There is also splinter cell conviction for 15 bucks, better than the recent steam sale!

[quote name='jaredhenry13']You can always download a no-dvd fix if it does, which is TOTALLY legal.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's not technically legal because of the DMCA. Insane (if you've paid money for it) but...

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Yeah, it wants the disc. Same with Dead Space, another EA-published game.

That being said, I recommend investing in the digital version.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I'll be annoying because I get annoyed with how that word is used, but ALL these games are digital.

If it wants the disc, that's a good sign that it's just using a disc check instead of activation, so that would be a good thing...surely they wouldn't do both... :whistle2:O

:lol: I plugged in my mouse and it crashed!

oh, it doesn't work with monitors either. You have to print the frames out one at a time.

On the positive side, it gives plenty of time for lower end GPUs to finish their rendering!

A screw it, I'll pick up the digital version. I got credit to blow and I've been interested in this game for some time, but I've been waiting for the PS3 version to lower.

Thanks, OP!

One of my favorite games from this year. Ran beautifully on my rig, and the art style is absolutely wonderful.

It's a shame what happened to the studio :(

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']I believe there was a patch to fix that problem.

BUT WARNING !!!

There was a problem with playing this game with a 4 core processor wether it be a intel or amd. So buyer beware. I dont know if they fixed this problem yet but I highly doubt they did.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the patch requires you to disable two cores. It still crashed on me with my 4850. The game is fine on my new NVIDIA card though.

What the hell - I picked up the boxed copy w/ free prime shipping. Not a bad deal - I was waiting for the price to drop below $5, close enough!

[quote name='appleyum']That's pretty bad if the major selling point is "This game has breasts." :roll:[/QUOTE]
That was more a warning for parents or overly-sensitive people wanting to buy the game.

Interesting that you saw it as a selling point, though. Get out much? :lol:

All right, time for some replies:
[quote name='nflsonic']A screw it, I'll pick up the digital version. I got credit to blow and I've been interested in this game for some time, but I've been waiting for the PS3 version to lower.[/QUOTE]
You've made an excellent choice, my friend. Good job.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']One of my favorite games from this year. Ran beautifully on my rig, and the art style is absolutely wonderful.

It's a shame what happened to the studio :([/QUOTE]
I second this statement; The Saboteur really is one of my favorite games of this year. (In terms of underrated, under-recognized titles, it's at the top of the list.) It is a shame about Pandemic itself, too; Mercenaries 3 actually looked promising. There was a early-in-development video not too long ago that surfaced. It showed the game in its very early stages, and the dialog was horribly referential. "If Katie Couric can sleep her way to the top, so can I" (A very true statement regarding the reporter, by the way.) and dislike towards "Skynet shit" are two standout moments in the 5-or-so minute clip.

[quote name='talon2099']The 2nd link doesn't work, is that 360 controller file available anywhere else?[/QUOTE]
Sorry about that. I went ahead and downloaded the patch and grabbed my own version of InputTemplate.txt. I put them into a nice ZIP and uploaded it for easy access. You can grab it here.

To be honest, I think I should make another blog post that concerns a larger number of games and their fixes. In my PC years, I've come across quite a few console-to-PC ports that have required a few fixes (Official, windows-based, or otherwise.) to get working properly. The Saboteur, Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, and Dead Space are a few of them.

When I get time, I'll compile a nice blog for frustrated PC users.

Thanks for the heads-up! I went ahead and bit.

I've installed the game, but now it's asking me if I want to install the EA Download Manager. Do I need this?

Well, usually there's an Amazon Downloader for these things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to redirect customers to EA's servers. Saves Amazon money that way. If you can't get to the game without it, then, yeah, download it. (And, subsequently, download it.)

Either way, excellent game choice; I hope you enjoy it, Mr. Guts.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Well, usually there's an Amazon Downloader for these things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to redirect customers to EA's servers. Saves Amazon money that way. If you can't get to the game without it, then, yeah, download it. (And, subsequently, download it.)

Either way, excellent game choice; I hope you enjoy it, Mr. Guts.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I downloaded it via the Amazon Games Downloader; sorry, I forgot to mention that :)

I *think* the EA downloader connects you to leaderboards and such as well as automatic updates. I opted not to download that just in case if forces an update with the 1.3 beta patch. So far the game runs just fine, though some bystanders froze in place after my first brawl. Kind of funny, but as long as there isn't anything that impacts the gameplay I'll leave it unpatched. Speaking of which, how in the world do I tell what version of the game I'm running?

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Yup, I downloaded it via the Amazon Games Downloader; sorry, I forgot to mention that :)

I *think* the EA downloader connects you to leaderboards and such as well as automatic updates. I opted not to download that just in case if forces an update with the 1.3 beta patch. So far the game runs just fine, though some bystanders froze in place after my first brawl. Kind of funny, but as long as there isn't anything that impacts the gameplay I'll leave it unpatched. Speaking of which, how in the world do I tell what version of the game I'm running?[/QUOTE]
Most games usually give a version number in the corner of the title screen or main menu, but, of course, that's not mandatory. I haven't loaded up The Saboteur in a while, so I'm unsure. Either way, there are only two versions: Unpatched (1.0 or 1.2, I'd imagine.) and Patched (1.3b). I don't believe there's any version that's pre-patched.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, why are you avoiding the patch? It's supposed to fix crashes, among other things. (I myself got through the patched game with no errors of any kind.)

Either way, how are you finding the game? Entertaining?

For the amusement of those that have played the first 10 minutes:
- "Have you ever handled explosives, Irishman?"
- "I handled a bombshell once, but it turns out she was married."

It's better coming out of Devlin's mouth.

@EliotAndrews: I looked for the number all over within the game and where you mentioned but couldn't find anything. I will just go ahead and patch because I have a dual core system.

To be honest, I thought I had a quad (I just have a dual core proc). I thought that the patch would force two cores to shut down, until I forced them back to four. As it is, the beta 1.03 patch notes seem to indicate that it's 1) the patch itself and 2) how to shut down two cores manually for those with a quad core proc. I thought it was all-in-one; kinda moot since I just have a dual proc.

I've only played about 30 minutes of the game, but so far it's pretty cool. From my time with the game it seems like a good mix of GTA and platform climbing and jumping. I was scaling walls vertically with ease and having a great time not running through alleys like a rat. The aesthetics are really nice, and the use of noir to illustrate unliberated areas is a great design choice.

Anyway, thanks for your comments above, Mr. Andrews! Thanks as well for that great fixes zip!

I dunno about the amazon downloader- it restarts everytime you close it- it doesn't save your progress.

Does anyone know if I pause it and then close it will it start where I left off? I need to reboot my 'puter, but I don't want to loose all the progress...

No experience with the PC version, but from playing on the PS3, it's excellent. Far better than Mercs 2, and on a level with Mercs 1. One of the three games I've platinumed, and despite the fact that full completion means destroying an even 1000 freeplay targets, I never got bored.

Heh, all the positive comments about the game inspired me to finally crack open my 360 copy. It's laugh-out-loud funny. :D Certainly not the most polished of games, and it's rare that I play a game and think "I wish the trees looked better" or "I wish the fire looked better", but otherwise it's quite fun. ^^

I've updated the original post with the sad news of the download version selling out. Gamersgate have the download version for $10.18, but that's hardly the same, is it. :/ Sorry to anyone who missed it!

Though the deal's gone, this topic is remaining active. I figured I'd take this opportunity to advertise my promised blog post, which includes The Saboteur as one of the entries. Currently, some answers are a bit vague, but I'm hoping to flesh out some of the answers when I have the time.

Either way, it's comforting to have those solutions there for others to view.

I never understood how you can "sellout" of a digital copy. I understand that under most circumstances, it's due to a limited number of "keys" but you would think because it's digital, there would be a never-ending supply.

I can't speak for the console versions, but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience on PC.

I guess they have a lot of Saboteur boxes taking up space in their warehouse, maybe. ^^ I imagine it's quite a difficult game to shift, even for $6. Shame, really, it's well worth it. :)

bread's done
Back