SACRED 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 5/12/09

I just got this and find it so big that it's almost overwhelming. I finished one quest and took on like two or three and then called it a night because I couldn't really figure out how to get to wherever these quests were anyway. I'm not sure if I like this or not, I mean I want to, but the camera is weird, combat is a little sluggish, and it's not exactly ideal for navigation on a controller. This is for a review, so I've got to put in my time, so if anyone is interested in getting a game sometime this weekend, I generally play at night, I live on the West Coast and I'm a High Elf.

[quote name='Redeema']I just got this and find it so big that it's almost overwhelming. I finished one quest and took on like two or three and then called it a night because I couldn't really figure out how to get to wherever these quests were anyway. I'm not sure if I like this or not, I mean I want to, but the camera is weird, combat is a little sluggish, and it's not exactly ideal for navigation on a controller. This is for a review, so I've got to put in my time, so if anyone is interested in getting a game sometime this weekend, I generally play at night, I live on the West Coast and I'm a High Elf.[/QUOTE]

It takes some time to get used to it. Just don't stress out about it. There's a ton of stuff you don't have to worry about if you don't want to. You'll pick up on stuff as you go along. If you think the camera is weird just zoom out all the way and leave it there. It forces that perspective when you play same console coop and it works well that way.

I've been playing this game quite a bit lately. I still haven't beat the main quest yet because I've been working on my mage for awhile, but I'm going to switch back to my warrior and finish it. How is the ending? I didn't pay attention to the story one bit until I started befriending the Orcs. Now I'm very interested to see what happens.

I started as a temple guardian (mighty morphing robot anubis GO!), but I am stepping back from the game to finish Fallout 3 first. Not because it is bad, but quite the opposite. I know i will sink so much time in the game, but I REALLY want to finish Fallout 3 proper.

[quote name='Logg']I only have beat it 3 times I had no idea about the ending[/QUOTE]

Haha, I figured as much. I guess I'll have to wait for Diablo 3 for an awesome story.

EDIT

Just had my first game crash. >sigh<

Hopefully it will be my last. Luckily I wasn't too far into my playing session, had one easy quest done but I found a ridiculously nice staff that I'm going to be severely upset about if I lost it.

Logging in now....

fuck yes, still have it. Must have got it before and just not remembered.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nealocus123']I've been playing this game quite a bit lately. I still haven't beat the main quest yet because I've been working on my mage for awhile, but I'm going to switch back to my warrior and finish it. How is the ending? I didn't pay attention to the story one bit until I started befriending the Orcs. Now I'm very interested to see what happens.[/QUOTE]

The blue stuff is bad
so you make it go away
except it's still there

Ending on both sides is pretty mehtastic. Then again the story as a whole isn't very good but who cares, the game is fun!

I'm still on the fence with this one. I definitely want to check it out but I can't quite commit to paying full-price-ish for it. I mostly see it compared to WOW and Diablo; does it play like WOW with an actual story? I never got into Diablo because I can't stand click-to-move setups, which is obviously not a factor in a console game. Basically, CAG, make me buy it.

[quote name='Logg']Nothing like WOW

No Story

Just kill and upgrade its a much fun as you want it to be.[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, that sounds an awful lot like WOW. Which, incidentally, is not a bad thing.

[quote name='Survivalism']I have to admit, that sounds an awful lot like WOW. Which, incidentally, is not a bad thing.[/QUOTE]

WoW has a ton of stories to it if you actually follow the history of Warcraft (mainly from the books). There's just no singular main story in the game like you're use to.

I will get a 1000/1000 on this game maybe just maybe I will end up with like 1750/1750 oh man that would be the best.

Also my goal is to get a dude to 200 without dying.

Good luck with that, it'll take over 200 hours to reach that level I think.

I also got jacked on that 'don't die during campaign' achievement. I did free mode and died on my new character for some stupid reason or another. Shortly after I started a brand new campaign with the character (I hadn't done it yet) and when I went through without dieing, I didn't get the achievement. Pissed me off. ;o

[quote name='Logg']I will get a 1000/1000 on this game maybe just maybe I will end up with like 1750/1750 oh man that would be the best.

Also my goal is to get a dude to 200 without dying.[/QUOTE]

It's out of 1750? Is there already DLC?

[quote name='Logg']No I am just saying I hope there will be one day.[/QUOTE]

Oh alrighty, I see.

I played a huge 3-4 hour session today and did a lot! I finished the Dragon quest(s) and got transported to the new area in the southeast. While searching for the dragon(s) I kept getting lost, it was pretty frustrating but I did gain a lot of XP and items. Got the millionaire achievement too. Near the end when you are asked to kill that Belrock LOTR monster the quest chain gets really good.

One of the Dragons dropped a 150k staff too!

I kept getting lost, it was pretty frustrating but I did gain a lot of XP and items.
I am doing that part right now with my Saraphim. I too find running around these tunnels a bit confusing and frustrating. I don't know what I would do if the small map did not have that gold arrow on it for guidance.

If you like loot grabbing hack n' slash, you'll love Sacred 2. The story is goofy, but not more nonsensical than most video games.

I'm taking the approach of avoiding a lot of side quests to start with. It's distracting to have 10 going on at once. Most are very simple. If I could do quite a few at once, I could be more economical. Some of the map and quest designs result in repetitive runs, which is probably the most frustrating part of the game. The second most frustrating is not being able to save anywhere you want, although you can save anytime. You just don't reappear where you saved, you reappear at the last activated checkpoint pillar.

I still can't figure out the upgrade systems, and my Seraphim is at lvl15. Points to upgrade her appear with lvl ups, and I use those to do the spells. I am guessing that using multiple runes for the same spell doesn't help at all?

And the weapons upgrade system with the slots is confusing as well. I go to a blacksmith and he offers to upgrade a couple of crummy weapons, not my better stuff. Can I do upgrades myself and attach stuff? What objects can I attach?

This is the main reason why I like D&D universe stuff- the familiar names and approach can make it easier to navigate without having to learn a whole new system.

[quote name='ianoid']If you like loot grabbing hack n' slash, you'll love Sacred 2. The story is goofy, but not more nonsensical than most video games.

I'm taking the approach of avoiding a lot of side quests to start with. It's distracting to have 10 going on at once. Most are very simple. If I could do quite a few at once, I could be more economical. Some of the map and quest designs result in repetitive runs, which is probably the most frustrating part of the game. The second most frustrating is not being able to save anywhere you want, although you can save anytime. You just don't reappear where you saved, you reappear at the last activated checkpoint pillar.

I still can't figure out the upgrade systems, and my Seraphim is at lvl15. Points to upgrade her appear with lvl ups, and I use those to do the spells. I am guessing that using multiple runes for the same spell doesn't help at all?

And the weapons upgrade system with the slots is confusing as well. I go to a blacksmith and he offers to upgrade a couple of crummy weapons, not my better stuff. Can I do upgrades myself and attach stuff? What objects can I attach?

This is the main reason why I like D&D universe stuff- the familiar names and approach can make it easier to navigate without having to learn a whole new system.[/QUOTE]

The blacksmith can't upgrade the armor your wearing. So if you have upgrade slots on your helmet or something, you need to take it off before you go talk to him, then he will offer to upgrade it. As for the runes, even I'm not too sure and I'm level 30.

Here's a guide for runes that I've been looking at lately, it explains a lot. http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?t=43426

I have like only 9 achievements left, this will probably be the only game I keep playing after I get all 1000.

Multiple runes level up the spell and can add more effects to it also, but it raises the regeneration time on it so there is a fine line to walk.

Also ianoid, last night I got 2 of the exact same Set Item Seraphim helm its level 30, I can just give it to you if you need it.

So, I just got Sacred 2 to play local co-op.

And I am totally lost. I've never really played one of these loot/exploration style games before, but I am clueless as to what I'm supposed to be doing, and where the 'fun' of the game is.

The camera angle is abysmal, I can't even see my characters armor/weapons/etc.
There really isn't anything pushing you forward, but is that the point? To just wander around taking boring sidequests to get more loot drops?

Is that all there really is to this game?

Would I like Too Human if I hate this? At least from the demo, Too Human seemed to have more mainstream combat, and more interesting environments/loot.

Thanks!

The only point of this game is to explore, collect loot, and level up, I got bored with it very quickly, yet played Diablo 2 for years. Diablo and Diablo 2 managed to do something that most action RPG since have failed to do.

The problem your having is common, there are so many side quests that you get taken off of the main quest and forget about it. The main quest is the gold ring/arrow on the world/mini map. The game is open world and really doesnt stress the main story very well, I never felt the need to get back to the main quest and would run around killing stuff for hours. Most games force you to eventually get back to the main quest but this one for some reason lets you go at your own pace. Its a decent game though, once you get to the higher difficulties and have to use your skills to kill bosses.

Would I like Too Human if I hate this? At least from the demo, Too Human seemed to have more mainstream combat, and more interesting environments/loot.

Nope. The best part of Too Human was in the demo. The exploding, poison, and polarize effect enemies kill Too Human later, unless you like watching a Valkyrie bring your character to life a lot.

Sacred is a hack and slash, really the point of these games is to wander around and hack your way through enemies, collect loot, and level up to gain more ways to hack through things and collect loot.

The game-crash bugs ticked me off at first (respawning where you can't move), but they seem to be a thing of the past.
What really pisses me off is playing with my wife, and only she can pick up loot off enemies I kill and vice versa -- at least most of the time. It wouldn't be so bad if we could actually DROP or GIVE items. But no, you're stuck either selling them or scrapping them.

I thought when I saw that communal chest that I could put items in that she could take out, but no such luck. How the hell can there be a game like this in 2009 that doesn't have such simple functionality that was in a game from 1993? PLEASE someone tell me I'm just missing something, and there's a way to exchange items.

I scoped back about 4 pages before asking this, by the way. Sorry if it's on an earlier page.

[quote name='ViolentLee']The game-crash bugs ticked me off at first (respawning where you can't move), but they seem to be a thing of the past.
What really pisses me off is playing with my wife, and only she can pick up loot off enemies I kill and vice versa -- at least most of the time. It wouldn't be so bad if we could actually DROP or GIVE items. But no, you're stuck either selling them or scrapping them.

I thought when I saw that communal chest that I could put items in that she could take out, but no such luck. How the hell can there be a game like this in 2009 that doesn't have such simple functionality that was in a game from 1993? PLEASE someone tell me I'm just missing something, and there's a way to exchange items.

I scoped back about 4 pages before asking this, by the way. Sorry if it's on an earlier page.[/QUOTE]

I believe there's an issue about not being able to trade between characters on the same console, and I think that's being addressed in the next patch. Not sure when that will be though.

[quote name='ViolentLee']The game-crash bugs ticked me off at first (respawning where you can't move), but they seem to be a thing of the past.

I scoped back about 4 pages before asking this, by the way. Sorry if it's on an earlier page.[/QUOTE]

Did you allow the game to update? After the first update my wife and I have been able to trade back and forth all we want. Just last night my wife and I traded at least ten items back and forth. We've played all through the light campaign first on bronze and are now about 80 hours into our dark characters (we're now 70% through on Gold at level 65).

As far as local coop goes the only major glitch we're still stuck with is that sometimes the second player can't summon their mount. When that happens we have to back out to the dashboard and restart the game. There's also the glitch where one or the other player gets stuck, but that just requires a save and restart which only takes a few seconds.

You have a chest that's shared between all characters on under your Gamertag, but it's just for your characters.

As for a way to exchange items, yes you can. I'm surprised you didn't accidently figure it out, but so long as one of the two local users have a gold account you can trade by hitting LB (I think it was? Or else it was RB) when next to each other.

Thanks for your take, guys. I'm playing on PS3, and I let the game update when I first put it in. I haven't been prompted to do so since.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Thanks for your take, guys. I'm playing on PS3, and I let the game update when I first put it in. I haven't been prompted to do so since.[/QUOTE]

New PS3 update today fixes the coop trading. I didn't realize they hadn't fixed that on the PS3 yet.

I'm now up to level 76 and ~70% of the way through platinum. Still loving it. Hitting level 75 and getting the masteries was awesome.

Has Wombat commented on this game in the podcast? This game does dress up better than any console game ever. I'd think that he'd be all over that.

Just got this game from Goozex, and installed the hdd. Looking forward to playing on Thursday.

Logg, are you still up for some co-op?

[quote name='shieryda']Cool. Anyone else want to play, let me know or send me a request (Shyreese).[/QUOTE]

Will do that later on tonight been looking to finally try that out.

[quote name='notoriousxbox']Will do that later on tonight been looking to finally try that out.[/QUOTE]

So you haven't started yet, either? Sweet. Still trying to decide which character class to choose. I'm a bit intimidated by all the stuff in this game, but I said that about Oblivion once, and freaking love that game.

How can I fix the fucking lag in this game when I play with another person on Live? It's so bad!

We both have pretty decent download speeds (2.5 Mb), so I don't think it's either connection.

anyone still playing Sacred 2?

looking for a dryad armour set for the achievement. I don't even want to keep it. If you have one, some items you want to clean out or want to play sometime hit me up. My XBLA is BigPopov

bread's done
Back