Sad day for Gamecube...

Legendaryhedgehog06

CAGiversary!
Went to my 2nd local EB today with 9 games I picked up for 20 bucks at another EB to trade in. A guy walks in with a sports bag that he proceeds to empty onto the counter. Its a complete GC collection. Platinum GC, Wavebird, 1012 Block memory card. A huge stack of at least 20 games, things like Mario Power Tennis, Harvest Moon, Ultimate Spiderman, Zelda, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros jump out at me. The guy asks how much cash he could get, and the store guy says 200 bucks credit, and a hell of a lot less cash. the guy says he wants "an xbox" and promptly wanders off down the xbox section. It was just a little sad to see my grey old friend being treated with such low regard.

The store guy then proceeds to tell me that he is trading in all his old GC stuff at the end of the week to help pay for his Wii. Doesn't anyone think that GC games will still be as good as they were when Wii is out? I know I've been weeding through my collection rooting out the average from the quintessentials, but even doing that I still have around 20 or so games left.

Its just a little sad really, I mean I still want to enjoy my GC faves when Wii is around and thanks to Nintendo I can. Heres to you GC, and one for that thing in your disc drive :)

I see what you're saying.... But since the wii will be able to play gamecube games, there really is no reason to keep the Cube of Games. The only reason I will keep it around is for nostalgia, it was the first brand new system I bought for myself, and you will not be able to use the GB Player/Adapter on the Wii.

I hear ya man, I hear ya. I can understand people trading in their consoles I guess, but god...some of these games are timeless...I cant imagine my day going by without visiting Animal Crossing...ah well.

[quote name='Legendaryhedgehog06']Went to my 2nd local EB today with 9 games I picked up for 20 bucks at another EB to trade in. A guy walks in with a sports bag that he proceeds to empty onto the counter. Its a complete GC collection. Platinum GC, Wavebird, 1012 Block memory card. A huge stack of at least 20 games, things like Mario Power Tennis, Harvest Moon, Ultimate Spiderman, Zelda, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros jump out at me. The guy asks how much cash he could get, and the store guy says 200 bucks credit, and a hell of a lot less cash. the guy says he wants "an xbox" and promptly wanders off down the xbox section. It was just a little sad to see my grey old friend being treated with such low regard.

The store guy then proceeds to tell me that he is trading in all his old GC stuff at the end of the week to help pay for his Wii. Doesn't anyone think that GC games will still be as good as they were when Wii is out? I know I've been weeding through my collection rooting out the average from the quintessentials, but even doing that I still have around 20 or so games left.

Its just a little sad really, I mean I still want to enjoy my GC faves when Wii is around and thanks to Nintendo I can. Heres to you GC, and one for that thing in your disc drive :)[/QUOTE]

Man I know how you feel. I must have had a customer do that at least once a week when I worked at EB.

We live in a culture these days where games are valueless. A person gets bored with a game and trades it in for the next fix. Sad really.

What's the point of keeping Mario Tennis or MarioKart for the Cube when Nintendo will just crank out Mario Tennis Wii or MarioKart Wii?

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but their way of milking their own franchises is what renders many of their games valueless (with the exception of a few such as Zelda).

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but their way of milking their own franchises is what renders many of their games valueless (with the exception of a few such as Zelda).[/quote]

Nintendo's hardly the only guilty party, nor are they the most egregious. I'm hearing a LOT of excitelemt over FFXII (which is at least the 14th in the main series alone), Resident Evil 5 for PS3/X360 (the 7th game in the series), GTA4 (the 7th game in its series).

That makes me feel so bad, I intend on keeping my GC and all the games I bought, it has lots of sentimental value to me, good times good times (plus its the one thing that i shared with my bros, we all pitched in for it) that and it'll look nice next to the Wii, kinda like bros, the tall skinny one and the shorter chubby one :D

[quote name='PawnTakesKing']What's the point of keeping Mario Tennis or MarioKart for the Cube when Nintendo will just crank out Mario Tennis Wii or MarioKart Wii?

I love Nintendo as much as the next guy, but their way of milking their own franchises is what renders many of their games valueless (with the exception of a few such as Zelda).[/quote]

Thats like saying whats the point of buying twilight princess since theres windwaker, or super mario galaxy, since there is super mario sunshie/super mario 64

bread's done
Back