Safe to Go Online With Wii yet?

Empyrical

CAGiversary!
I bought a Wii on launch day, but I haven't set up the internet connection yet because I feared I might get one of the problems that were circulating around the web concerning the initial WiiConnect24 update breaking consoles. Since I don't want to break my Wii, I've held off on connecting to the internet and downloading VC games and shit.... but does anybody know if the problem has been fixed? Or should I keep my Wii offline indefinitely?

the problem is still around i think. The problem at first was timeouts downloading the firmware the hour and second hour when it was released. The butt of the issue is that the wii updates the firmware as it downloads it, so if you upgrade, make sure your connection is good before you do it (remember to put it on port 11, test your connectivity with other devices ect...). I really think the first thing they need to fix is force the wii to update the firmware after it downloads it, not as its streaming the update. But to do that, you need to do a internet update. silly no?

Almost any device thats stoped during a firmware update will brick. routers, ps3, 360.

I think its ok to update now, the majority of the proplems was becuse so many people were trying to update at once. Luckely i dident have that problem even though i updated a few hours after i got it. I diden know about the port thing, but my router was already set to 11, (from what i hear thats a port the wii likes). Port may also be channal depending on your router.

bread's done
Back