Saint's Row 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info

I think I like SR better than GTA but I also liked Crackdown way more than any of them. I hope to see a Crackdown 2 some day.

I never gave Saints 1 a fair shake. I finished 33% of the game, and accidentally deleted my file. I just couldn't get back into it. :/

[quote name='dastly75']I think I like SR better than GTA but I also liked Crackdown way more than any of them. I hope to see a Crackdown 2 some day.[/QUOTE]
Yep, me too. That was also the order I liked them in...Crackdown > Saints > GTA: 3/VC/SA. Pretty nice when your "least favorite" is still an amazing game.

---------

I got the EGM today with the GTA4 article. After the article, there was a section where they did quickie previews on GTA clones, including SR2. They made a comment about how (paraphrasing here) GTA - even number 4 - could still learn a few things about creating a good aiming system from SR, and that SR2 would have much improved hand-to-hand combat as well as the ability to use bystanders as human shields.

Also of note, the world will be about "45% bigger," and every area from SR has undergone at least some degree of modification.

There will also be a reward (probably minigame-implemented) for running through the park with no clothes on. Don't ask me. It sounds pretty awesome though.

To kickoff their Gamers' Day event being held in downtown San Francisco, THQ today announced the official release date, pre-order campaign plans, and the launch of the official website for Saints Row 2. The game will ship on August 26, 2008 on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and gamers can pre-order their copy starting tonight (April 3) at 6 PM PST. THQ also announced the launch of the official website for Saints Row 2 along with the release of a new video from someone they're calling "Uncle Gary." Check it out below.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/864/864405p1.html

Co-Op Hands On impressions are up also - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/864/864477p1.html

Between this and Mercenaries 2 (releasing August 31st), the end of August is going to be a great time to be an open-world game fan. That should be right around the time I'm starting to wind down on GTA IV. Nice.

Actually, thinking about how close the release dates are for this and Mercenaries 2 got me to check the calendar; Mercs 2 is releasing on a Sunday. Weird.

[quote name='Danimal']Between this and Mercenaries 2 (releasing August 31st), the end of August is going to be a great time to be an open-world game fan. That should be right around the time I'm starting to wind down on GTA IV. Nice.

Actually, thinking about how close the release dates are for this and Mercenaries 2 got me to check the calendar; Mercs 2 is releasing on a Sunday. Weird.[/quote]

Oh shit...I didn't know that they were so close. I'm getting both for sure, but I might have to go with SR2 and wait on Mercs2 for a month or so later.

[quote name='Immortal fWd']New trailer about activities. They poke a bit of fun at GTA IV.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/882586/saints-row-2/videos/saintsrow2_trailer_060408.html[/quote]

I just watched it and wow a lot of those things look like they will keep me playing the game well after i beat the story. I doubt SR2 will come close to GTA IV's story or characters, but i honestly think ill play it longer than GTA IV after i finish the story.

Streaking? Seriously....??? Some how i doubt it.
Maybe they will have actual naked chicks in the strip club if they actually have streaking.
Throwing people in front of cars looks fun, as well as base jumping.

I hear that!

[quote name='Scorch']Sewage shooting, throwing friends, streaking, fight clubs, demolition derbys.. SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I loved GTA IV, and while it went for a more realistic approach that was cool, I sort of missed the over the top crazy missions.

Looks like Saint's Row 2 will scratch that itch.

GTAIV is great, but I still prefer the wacky San Andreas & Saints Row over the top game style.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I loved GTA IV, and while it went for a more realistic approach that was cool, I sort of missed the over the top crazy missions.

Looks like Saint's Row 2 will scratch that itch.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at EGM's coverage of Gears of War and they showed the GOW2 version of Gridlock....which looked like the same thing as the first but more war torn and gritty. I play GTA IV, and it's great, but it's so damned dark that it actually screws me when I play some missions at night. I really do hope that Saint's Row 2 doesn't do this.

[quote name='GTzerO']I was looking at EGM's coverage of Gears of War and they showed the GOW2 version of Gridlock....which looked like the same thing as the first but more war torn and gritty. I play GTA IV, and it's great, but it's so damned dark that it actually screws me when I play some missions at night. I really do hope that Saint's Row 2 doesn't do this.[/quote]

have you turned up your brightness settings in-game and on your tv?

Im probably going to yourfree360games this one.

Interesting picture for those who think the graphics suck though:

screenshot_4015.jpg

screenshot_4026.jpg

screenshot_4025.jpg

screenshot_4016.jpg

[quote name='GTzerO']Looks like all of the characters got older. Also Tobias started going to the gym.[/quote]
And Johnny got his tattoos removed from his neck.

Again, I really hope they do away with the required side missions in this one, that is the only thing that stopped the game from being fun for me.

The character difference seems like it went from PS2 to 360. Wow its really that big of a difference. So far it looks cool. I dont really care how great the graphics are. I just want it to play smooth, and be fun.

The game looks better than I thought it would, can't wait even more to play it now. Hope there are better voices to choose when creating your character though.

Wow, check out this gamestop pre order info.

Pre-Order Saints Row 2 and receive the GameStop Exclusive PeeWee Mini Bike and D-Stroy UFO. All Customers: Code and instructions provided with game.

Pee-Wee Mini Bike: Race around Stilwater in your very own mini-bike! This is one crazy little machine that will make your stay in Stilwater both memorable and fun. About the only thing you can't ride on is water, but everything else is waiting for you and your little Peewee.

D-Stroy UFO: Take to the skies in your very own UFO! Freak out the residents as you buzz between buildings, over bridges and through traffic in one of the most unique vehicles ever to be seen in the city of Stilwater. Flight controls are similar to the helicopters, but don't be fooled.. this is not your normal flying machine!

LINK
I really want the UFO, im guessing this kind of exclusive will be all over the internet in no time, and be accessible for those who didnt pre order from gamestop, right? Im just not sure about these deals. When i bought skate from best buy, i was supposed to get a "code" but never got anything.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Wow, check out this gamestop pre order info.

I really want the UFO, im guessing this kind of exclusive will be all over the internet in no time, and be accessible for those who didnt pre order from gamestop, right? Im just not sure about these deals. When i bought skate from best buy, i was supposed to get a "code" but never got anything.[/quote]

If you want those vehicles, you may want to preorder, as the codes could very well be unique.

[quote name='chasemurata']If you want those vehicles, you may want to preorder, as the codes could very well be unique.[/quote]

True, they could be, but the seem likely not to be. Most store "exclusive" codes are ones that eventually anyone can use. But i may order it anyway.

Hopefully It'll be like the "Gamestop Exclusive T-shirt" in Saints Row 1 where I just put in a code into the phone and find out it was exclusive to gamestop preorders days after I did it.

After watching this trailer I am definately getting this the first day it comes out. Matter fact I will probably get the Collector's Edition.

Wait, this has co-op? That alone qualifies it as beating GTA IV.

As long as it is actual co-op and not some waterdown stuff. I'll try to read the IGN hand-on when I get the time.

[quote name='help1']Wait, this has co-op? That alone qualifies it as beating GTA IV.

As long as it is actual co-op and not some waterdown stuff. I'll try to read the IGN hand-on when I get the time.[/QUOTE]

Yes

[quote name='first post']- Online co-op has been added and you will be able to drop in on a buddy's game at any point and join the story. They are also adding a new "mission-based, online gang war" to replace deathmatch.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't beat GTAIV, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...but I felt that Saints Row had a lot more fun in it.

Definitely picking up the sequel. Glad to see they're doing things with co-op and multi again. Just hope it works out the box this time.

[quote name='The 7th Number']New trailer.... im hyped!!![/QUOTE]
Well at least we know it has alright cutscenes...

What do you mean it's not looking good? It looks fine. It looks almost exactly like the first. Perhaps you got used to the GTA style or something. The combat looks okay, but it doesn't look bad at all.

I did like how at the end of the second video, he hopped up ON the ledge instead of over it. Hopefully it's not always hopping on ledges by default, sometimes I think I'll need to jump over ledges.

bread's done
Back