Sales Tax on New Items When Paying With Credit At Gamestop?

el swordo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have a ps4 preordered at Gamestop.  I had about $270 in credit to apply towards it.  I'm trying to calculate how much I still owe.   Do i get charged sales tax just on the remaining $130 or on the whole $400?

Might depend on the state you live in but where I live I get charged tax on the entire purchase price regardless of how much I pay off with a Gift Card or credit.

Might depend on the state you live in but where I live I get charged tax on the entire purchase price regardless of how much I pay off with a Gift Card or credit.
Well I'm in Indiana and found this. http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/316500-gamestop-tivpromos-thread-xxi-double-credit-on-systems-traded-30-extra-credit-on-gameselectronicsaccessories/ which looks like we don't get taxed on credit. Not sure if that only applys if you are paying full amount on credit though

Where I live, I do not get taxed on credit amounts. So if I use credit to pay for the whole amount, I do not pay any tax. If I use credit to pay for a partial amount, I only get taxed on the part I am not using credit. So if you are similar to mine, I would expect to pay tax on the remaining $130.

If you pre-ordered in store, you can either call and give them your power-up info and they can look it up, finding out how much you owe to completely pay it off, or just walk in the store and find out that way. It'll be what is left over, so from there you can deduce if you need to pay tax on just what is left or on the entire purchase price.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Michigan, we get taxed for the full amount, even if paid 100% with credit :( It's only a few dollars, but it adds up!

I've started the Habit of getting Amazon gift cards at gamestop, since those aren't taxed. Amazon isn't taxed yet here either, so I can convert $50 in credit straight to $50 Amazon

bread's done
Back