Sam & Max: Season One $19.99 at Amazon.com

Nice! I might pick this up but does anyone know of news on whether this is coming to any of the consoles? I might just wait out for a console release instead for some crazy unknown reason.

[quote name='Sway']Nice! I might pick this up but does anyone know of news on whether this is coming to any of the consoles? I might just wait out for a console release instead for some crazy unknown reason.[/QUOTE]

It would most likely cost more if it came to a console.

Besides, everyone should support Telltale, especially if you are any kind of fan of these types of games.

FYI:
This game is awesome.
Its not your average point and click.
Its fast paced, fun, funny. Its really really awesome and should not be missed.

-Mike

[quote name='crawdd']2 idiot questions:

1) Is this is an actual box/dvd, and not just a download?

2) It doesn't have Starforce, does it?[/quote]

Yes, it is a box. Cardboard in fact.

No, it does not have StarForce. You are very unlikely to see StarForce in recent games.

If you're interested in GameTap, you can subscribe for $60/year and get access to all of season one, plus season two (as they are released), along with the hundreds of other games available.

Still, if you're not interested in GameTap, the Amazon.com price is a really good deal for season one.

I need to put in a Christmas shopping order on Amazon soon, anyway, so this will be going in the cart as a gift to me.

Thanks OP.

[quote name='Hitze']Why settle for the demo when they're giving away the entire fourth episode for free?

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/samandmax

^It should be the third one. The one where the price is $0.00.

I played through it, and it was freaking awesome. I'm gonna have to pick up the entire first season for just $20.[/quote]
I was actually turned off by the freebie: too many in-jokes from the previous episodes in the season. It was well done, and I plan to play the whole season, but for an intro freebie perhaps they should have released the first episode.

[quote name='Sentinel']I was actually turned off by the freebie: too many in-jokes from the previous episodes in the season. It was well done, and I plan to play the whole season, but for an intro freebie perhaps they should have released the first episode.[/quote]

I agree with that sentiment. It'd be similar to how TV shows sometimes price Season 1 DVD sets at under $20 to entice new viewers. Or how graphic novel series typically price first volumes at under $10.

I can see how Telltale figured that making Episode 4 free might motivate new gamers to find out what the references and in-jokes are all about, but an Episode 1 freebie would still have been a better decision. Perhaps Telltale felt that Episode 1 wasn't up to par with the quality of the series in later installments; I haven't played it so I'm just playing the guessing game.

Thanks OP! Ordered.

The freebie was too big for me to download over dialup, so this is perfect. I loved the original Sam & Max.

First Zack & Wiki, now this. I'm in point 'n' click heaven.

Didn't they say the episodes will be released on Xbox Live Arcade awhile back? Any news regarding if they are still coming?

[quote name='rapsodist']
I can see how Telltale figured that making Episode 4 free might motivate new gamers to find out what the references and in-jokes are all about, but an Episode 1 freebie would still have been a better decision. Perhaps Telltale felt that Episode 1 wasn't up to par with the quality of the series in later installments; I haven't played it so I'm just playing the guessing game.[/quote]

Episode 1 was great. 2 and 3 a little slow. 4 and 5 were excellent and 6 was weird and a little short.

Overall, I highly recommend this game and am glad that they are now putting out a second season, even though I won't be picking it up until the season compilation....8.95 is a little too pricey for me.

[quote name='Garfield']Didn't they say the episodes will be released on Xbox Live Arcade awhile back? Any news regarding if they are still coming?[/QUOTE]
I was wondering about this myself, because I thought I had heard or read something about it recently (I'm thinking maybe the Joystiq podcast, but I couldn't say for sure). I don't think anything has been confirmed on it yet. At least I can't find any confirmed news online after a semi-thorough search. There were news stories about it on 1UP and Kotaku (among other sites) back in March, but not much since. Supposedly Telltale games was looking to hire a 360 programmer, and they were stating that they wanted to bring it to 360 and Wii at that time. For now, I think it's just a strong possibility.

$19.99 at Best Buy B&M as well. Guessing this is a universal drop so other stores will probably follow suit.

Just out of curiosity: does the retail edition require the disc in the drive to play? This would be a good game to throw in my computer at work since it could actually run on it, so if I can play it without needing the disc it would work work out perfectly.

I am checking out the demo and episode 4. I could really never get into PC games. The only few I really ever played (use that term loosely) were Creatures II and Star Wars Monopoly. I also got some crappy shareware compilation with 100 games or something on it back in the day.. Wasnt my thing. The only other games I heard much about over the years, growing up and while in school tended to be either FPS (DooM and the like), Everquest, and Halflife.

I never had a chance to play the Monkey Island games or other point and click adventures but after getting into some on the DS (Touch Detective and Phoenix Wright) I have come to like them a LOT more. Stupid childhood PC stigma. I never had my own PC until 1998 and that was a refurbished POS that ended up crashing a few times. *sigh*

So yeah.. thanks for the season 1 info, demo and free episode links and I shall probably get it if i like this stuff. By the way, Sam & Max: Freelance Police - The Complete Series is being released on DVD sometime soon. I apologize for the semi incoherent babble that the first 2 paragraphs of my post consist of. Gnite. :p

So you know if you pick it up off the telltale website you get a bonus dvd(It was mentioned on the forum that if you get it from other places you can't get the dvd)but its 29.95 there. Anyway here is what it says on the site

Way back when we announced Season One, we came up with a great offer. An awesome offer. The kind of offer you call home to tell Mom about. Anyone who bought Season One from our website could get a disc version for just the cost of shipping.

Too good to be true? Nope! We've put together a DVD that has all six games plus all this video we'd put together during the season. And it's yours, all yours. (For the price of shipping. And tax, if applicable.)

Didn't buy the season yet? No problem! Buy it here, download and start playing today, and you'll still get a DVD in the mail. Life is good.

Put the disc in your PC for the games, or in your DVD player for spiffy video content. What's on there? Stuff like...
• All six episodes on one disc.
(Requires DVD-ROM drive)
• Cutscene video reels with 4+ hours of commentary tracks by the developers.
• All 18 Sam & Max machinima shorts.
• Sam & Max Season One blooper reel.
• Concept art montage video.
• All Season One teasers and trailers, including the original E3 2006 teaser trailer.
• Surprise bonus content!

Its been $19.99 at Walmart for a while now.

I bought in early and played 2-3 episodes have yet to go back. Got a bunch of the extras (I paid extra) and they are all stored away.

Another one to check out is Al Emmo there is a freebie of that one as well to get you started... its form the group that did the free KQ1 and KQ2 remakes.

bread's done
Back