Sam & Max to the Wii?

botticus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
While viewing DMK's reviews over at etoychest, I came across this post regarding Telltale Games in discussions with Nintendo:

http://www.etoychest.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5120&Itemid=1

Enter Emily Morganti's blog at the official Telltale Games site. In a post last Thursday, she indicated that various emails began coming to the Telltale Games inbox from fans regarding Sam & Max possibly appearing on the Wii. She in turn suggested sending these emails directly to Nintendo.

On Friday, she published an update asking that fans stop emailing Nintendo. Why? Because Nintendo actually got in touch with Telltale Games and the companies are apparently now engaged in talks about possibly releasing games on the Wii.
Never played Sam & Max myself, but I know a lot of people were excited for the new arrival on PC.

It could be the very successful start or restart of the adventure genre.... I look forward to hearing more. And its exciting that Nintendo took the first step once it was brought to their attention.

Sam & Max, and point-and-click graphic adventures in general would be pretty hot on the Wii.

The original Sam & Max was hilarious and awesome. The creator of the original is heavily involved in the new one but the (very short) clips I've seen so far are a little underwhelming. And Max's new voice needs work.

I considered the original Sam & Max to be one of the weakest titles in LucasArts' batch of graphic adventures. Thus it was only very very good, instead of great.

I haven't been following up on the new one since I don't follow PC gaming anymore, but I'm always in favor of the resurrection of the graphic adventure. This sounds promising.

Never played the original but I loved the old graphic adventures on the PC. It was a shame to see them go.

I think the Wii would be a perfect fit, and I'm glad Nintendo took the first step.

[quote name='Corvin']Never played the original but I loved the old graphic adventures on the PC. It was a shame to see them go.

I think the Wii would be a perfect fit, and I'm glad Nintendo took the first step.[/QUOTE]
They'd be great on the Wii, though I'm really surprised we haven't seen more on the DS. That seems like the more perfect fit. But, whatever, I just would like some point-and-click adventures again too!

[quote name='Corvin']Never played the original but I loved the old graphic adventures on the PC. It was a shame to see them go.

I think the Wii would be a perfect fit, and I'm glad Nintendo took the first step.[/QUOTE]

They are never gone just a bit harder to find.. Plenty of resources though and Al Emmo just came out and looks to be very promising... go download the demo. I received my collectors edition last night but didn't have time to play it.

Meanwhile Just Adventure has plenty of other titles to keep you busy as well as the 3 KQ VGA remakes....

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']I considered the original Sam & Max to be one of the weakest titles in LucasArts' batch of graphic adventures. Thus it was only very very good, instead of great.

I haven't been following up on the new one since I don't follow PC gaming anymore, but I'm always in favor of the resurrection of the graphic adventure. This sounds promising.[/QUOTE]

It's the only genre Americans and Westerners should be proud of in general for having being created by them and that the Japanese might actually be impressed by. I'm not even going to go there on all the FPS's and MMORPG's that dominate our shitty PC market in this side of the ocean.
So basically thumbs up and hopefully more where that came from, more games that Americans can be proud of were developed by each other as well as Westerners.

Ah yes, the old "Sam and Max in the works for next gen console X" rumor ;)

I've been on the fence about which console(s) to go with this generation. I have about 80 PS2 games, so I always figured I'd go with a PS3, but my budget doesn't have room for a $600 console. Even the 360 is a bit pricey for me right now, so I've been leaning more and more toward the Wii.

If this comes to pass, the Wii instantly becomes a slam dunk, no-brainer purchase for me.

[quote name='Apossum']Ah yes, the old "Sam and Max in the works for next gen console X" rumor ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm not familiar with that old chestnut, but I'm well-acquainted with "Classic LucasArts adventure games coming out for (GBA, DS, PSP)!!!!"

I still believe. And considering SCUMM VM, it kind of has come to pass already.

[quote name='Chris in Cali'][quote name='Danimal']I have about 80 PS2 games[/QUOTE]
Jesus, why? There must be a lot of crap in there.[/QUOTE]
That was my thought to. Don't get me wrong, the PS2 has a lot of good games, but it doesn't have 80. I mean, I don't think any console has ever had 80 games worth playing let along owning. I have 50 NES carts, and while most of its quality, there are a LOT of stinkers in there.

On topic: if LucasArts would be on board for the VC, that would be amazing.

[quote name='daroga']That was my thought to. Don't get me wrong, the PS2 has a lot of good games, but it doesn't have 80. I mean, I don't think any console has ever had 80 games worth playing let along owning. I have 50 NES carts, and while most of its quality, there are a LOT of stinkers in there.

On topic: if LucasArts would be on board for the VC, that would be amazing.[/QUOTE]

Is that on topic though as its Telltale that owns the rights now correct?

although your lucas suggestion would be great also.

[quote name='mforge']The creator of the original is heavily involved in the new one but the (very short) clips I've seen so far are a little underwhelming. And Max's new voice needs work.[/QUOTE]Yeah the voices were a bit off in the videos I saw. But the dialogue itself was spot on!!! This could be really good.

[quote name='Snake2715']Is that on topic though as its Telltale that owns the rights now correct?

although your lucas suggestion would be great also.[/QUOTE]

Separate issue, true, but doesn't change the fact that LucasArts on VC would be fantastic, and an easy way for them to make money off their back catalog. They wouldn't even have the production costs associated with producing/distributing a cart/card/disc.

I'd pretty much lost all faith in LucasArts until Lego Star Wars I & II. Someone there still has a heart and a brain.

[quote name='Tybee']Separate issue, true, but doesn't change the fact that LucasArts on VC would be fantastic, and an easy way for them to make money off their back catalog. They wouldn't even have the production costs associated with producing/distributing a cart/card/disc.

I'd pretty much lost all faith in LucasArts until Lego Star Wars I & II. Someone there still has a heart and a brain.[/QUOTE]

Heh, not to burst your bubble but LucasArts had even less to do with Lego Star Wars than they usually do for Star Wars games. They didn't even publish the original, Eidos did and made money hand over fist from it. So LucasArts can't even recognize a good Star Wars game anymore, much less develop one.

[quote name='Tybee']Separate issue, true, but doesn't change the fact that LucasArts on VC would be fantastic, and an easy way for them to make money off their back catalog. They wouldn't even have the production costs associated with producing/distributing a cart/card/disc.

I'd pretty much lost all faith in LucasArts until Lego Star Wars I & II. Someone there still has a heart and a brain.[/QUOTE]

Traveller's Tales made Lego Star Wars. LucasArts just published them..

[quote name='SMMM']Traveller's Tales made Lego Star Wars. LucasArts just published them..[/QUOTE]

The fact that they didn't cancel it is a big step for them. Though I still think they're a bunch of assholes for shitcanning S&M2, Full Throttle 2, and basically any game without Darth Vader on the cover.

[quote name='Tybee']The fact that they didn't cancel it is a big step for them. Though I still think they're a bunch of assholes for shitcanning S&M2, Full Throttle 2, and basically any game without Darth Vader on the cover.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. Star wars will die down again here eventually as its done with as far as movies go for a while.

[quote name='Snake2715']I hear ya. Star wars will die down again here eventually as its done with as far as movies go for a while.[/QUOTE]

Star Wars never dies. They've got those two TV series in development, if nothing else. But even if it did go away, I firmly believe LucasArts would rather go out of business than take the risk of developing original properties again, ESPECIALLY adventure games.

[quote name='daroga']That was my thought to. Don't get me wrong, the PS2 has a lot of good games, but it doesn't have 80. I mean, I don't think any console has ever had 80 games worth playing let along owning. I have 50 NES carts, and while most of its quality, there are a LOT of stinkers in there.[/QUOTE]
No, they're not all A+ titles. A number of them are games I picked up from CC clearance type sales; games I wouldn't have bought at all, except that for $5-10 I was willing to give them a try.

There must be a lot of crap in there.
Chris, I would concede that there's a little crap in there, but I like to think the majority of the games are pretty decent (depending on your taste in games)

Back on topic again, I couldn't agree more with this sentiment from Tybee:
The fact that they didn't cancel it is a big step for them. Though I still think they're a bunch of assholes for shitcanning S&M2, Full Throttle 2, and basically any game without Darth Vader on the cover.

[quote name='Tybee']Dear God,

It's me, Tybee. Please, please, PLEASE let this happen. :pray: :pray: :pray:

After that, maybe we'll see Monkii IIsland.[/QUOTE]

Holy God Monkey Island on the Wii would be amazing. Is there still a possibility of MI5 being made? I heard the rumors a few years ago, but never did any kind of follow-up.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Holy God Monkey Island on the Wii would be amazing. Is there still a possibility of MI5 being made? I heard the rumors a few years ago, but never did any kind of follow-up.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no possibility at all, unless you want to do your own using shadowpuppets or something.

For the latest news (or lack thereof) on LucasArts, S&M, et al, keep an eye on The International House of Mojo.

this could be a perfect game for Telltale Games to get there foot in the door onto the virtual console.
telltale has demos on their web site to download and you can upgrade to the full version if you like it.

that would be great to do with the wii and its virtual console.
i think it would work out well lets all keep our fingers crossed :)

[quote name='Tybee']Star Wars never dies. They've got those two TV series in development, if nothing else. But even if it did go away, I firmly believe LucasArts would rather go out of business than take the risk of developing original properties again, ESPECIALLY adventure games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah and the sad thing is they'll both be dickless since Lucas is writing them. I want a Star Wars movie that covers when the Sith first come into being but that's not gonna happen even when it would be infinitely more interesting then the prequels.
I guess I'll have to settle for KOTOR3 and find out what happened to your Sith from the end of KOTOR who disappered.

Though I still think they're a bunch of assholes for shitcanning S&M2, Full Throttle 2

Yeah, I'm still pretty pissed about that. I'm glad Sam & Max found a new home, I just wish I'd be able to play through another Full Throttle game. Hell, one of my AIM and an email account are named after Ben's gang.

Baloras

[quote name='Sarang01']Yeah and the sad thing is they'll both be dickless since Lucas is writing them. I want a Star Wars movie that covers when the Sith first come into being but that's not gonna happen even when it would be infinitely more interesting then the prequels.
I guess I'll have to settle for KOTOR3 and find out what happened to your Sith from the end of KOTOR who disappered.[/quote]

Well, I liked Episode III for the most part. And I am curious about the series. My only gripe is that LucasArts basically collapsed in upon itself and stopped producing anything except SW content.

[quote name='Snake2715']I hear ya. Star wars will die down again here eventually as its done with as far as movies go for a while.[/QUOTE]
But Star Wars has never really been dead. I think there's been Star Wars games on every major console since the Atari, even when Lucas was saying there would never be prequels. Unless they bleed the franchise dry with a bunch of crap (not happening now with the Rogue Squadron, Lego, and KOTOR series), Star Wars will continue to be a profitable franchise in games for years to come.

[quote name='Tybee']Well, I liked Episode III for the most part. And I am curious about the series. My only gripe is that LucasArts basically collapsed in upon itself and stopped producing anything except SW content.[/QUOTE]

Yes it's dark but I want a counterbalance. At least KOTOR2 didn't take a completely jaded view, it also put out that sometimes the Jedi deliberate too long when they need to take action now. I mean if it wasn't for your character taking action against the Mandalorians which the Jedi didn't condone the Republic would've fallen apart and they say as such in the game. But Lucas will paint the same picture of Sith bad, Jedi good when there's an inbetween hard as it may be to maintain.

bread's done
Back