Sam Raimi to Direct World of Warcraft Film!

Lobsterjohnson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Kotaku's story

Ain't It Cool is reporting that Sam Raimi (Evil Dead, Spider-Man) has signed on to direct the film version of World of Warcraft. "It [the announcement] will come out in trades later this week or next," writes Ain't It Cool. "But you can take this one to the bank."
The movie version has been in development at Legendary Pictures for several years now.

Update: Variety has confirmed that Raimi will be helming the picture. Legendary Pictures and Blizzard will be collaborating with Warner Bros., who will be co-financing and distributing the film.

Best gaming news I've heard all week. Nerding out right now. I'm thinking Blizzard had a huge say in choosing a director, and I can't think of a better one for the film...accept maybe Peter Jackson. I'm going to continue my habit of forgetting Spider-man 3 ever happened and look forward to this.

If this means he won't be directing any more Spider-Man movies than I'm pleased.

Just to stir the pot, Guillermo Del Toro would have been better.

It better be true to the fucking source! The movie starts of slow, dudes killing boars, then a ton of fetch quests, lots of looting, some PvP, legendary loot, and then, at the end, a 3 hour, 40 man fight against a dragon, and everyone does the same shit over and over for those 3 hours.

Make it 3 parts like Lord of the Rings.

Is it a WOW movie or a Warcraft movie?

I was looking forward to 90 minutes of orcs chopping wood and mining resources. "Ready To Serve".

Can't possibly be worse than Spiderman 3.

[quote name='Puffa469']Is it a WOW movie or a Warcraft movie?

I was looking forward to 90 minutes of orcs chopping wood and mining resources. "Ready To Serve".[/QUOTE]

The Warcraft story is actually really cool, and the lore is incredibly deep. Still, I wonder what story they'd focus on. My guess is Warcraft 3's story of Thrall, Arthas and such.

IMO, the Spiderman trilogy is absolutely terrible, so this is bad news. I probably wouldn't have bothered to see it anyway though.

This means that Bruce Campbell is going to have a cameo in the World of Warcraft film! (since he gets cameos in pretty much all of Raimi's films)

I approve.

I think this is also on wows website. As for the story last I heard it was going to be about one of the three battlegrounds in wow.

Well, I guess I have to officially be interested in this movie now. I've been curious about how Raimi would do fantasy, ever since he was in the runnings for The Hobbit (del Toro really was the best choice for that, though).

I'm probably reading too much into this, but it seems as though the studio is referring to the film as just "Warcraft" now, rather than "World of Warcraft." I'm really hoping that the film is set in some other era, so that I have to do as little acknowledging of WoW's existence as possible.

[quote name='opterasis']No, I want it to actually end up being good.[/QUOTE]
That would help it to be good, duh.

[quote name='bleak']This news disappoints me. Activision is tainting Blizzard.[/QUOTE]
Are you kidding me? Blizzard has been tainting themselves worse than any outside force ever could, ever since they created fucking World of Warcraft.

[quote name='neocisco']Sam Raimi is severely overrated.

Yeah, I said it (and meant it).[/QUOTE]
That's pretty edgy, man.

[quote name='neocisco']Just to stir the pot, Guillermo Del Toro would have been better.[/QUOTE]
No. Guillermo del Toro should do Diablo. Also, James Cameron should do Starcraft.

And while I'm at it, Terry Gilliam for The Lost Vikings, Robert Rodriguez or Zack Snyder for Blackthorne, and George Miller for Radical Psycho Machine/Rock n' Roll Racing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']That's pretty edgy, man.[/QUOTE]

What can I say? Walking the razor's edge is an everyday occurrence for me.:)

Drag me to hell was solidly good.

really it'll be pandering to the WoW crowd that will RUIN this film.

If they made it true to the history, and say keep it like LotR type, then it could be good.

I'm just curious how much CGI they are going to dump into this... and see if it'll be way over the top.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

That would help it to be good, duh.[/QUOTE]

Only if I get to see him die from standing in a void circle for too long.

I watched Drag me to Hell a few days ago, and I must say if he gets a good budget
~150 million plus he could do justice for it.

Raimi is garbage, his movies are way terrible with the exception of the evil dead series, but even the first one of that wasnt really good either!!!

I really hope it has nothing to do with the MMO game and just covers the franchise in general.

bread's done
Back