Samsung Galaxy s3 vs Apple iphone 5, which do I get?

I'd never line up to buy a gadget, game console etc. But I imagine a lot of the campers are students, housewives, people with flexible schedules etc.

[quote name='Clak']Gotta ask, the folks lining up to buy that thing, do these folks not have jobs, lives, families, etc.? If so, who the hell takes a vacation day to buy a phone? Seriously, have some patience, people. The world won't end if you aren't one of the first in your area to get the newest iwhatever.[/QUOTE]

People who are excited for a product. If they want to, and can, why not?

[quote name='62t']You are kidding right? With an iphone I could be playing Lunar Silver Star, Infinity Blade, Cave shooters, and many cool games. iphone doesn't have a lot going for it but Android is not close to catching up gaming wise.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I don't game on my phone wasn't thinking about that. But In terms of gaming IMO android still kicks iOS ass because you can run emulators without jail brake/rooting.

[quote name='KtMack23']Sorry I don't game on my phone wasn't thinking about that. But In terms of gaming IMO android still kicks iOS ass because you can run emulators without jail brake/rooting.[/QUOTE]
Running 25 year old games on a touchscreen instead of new games that were made for the platform isn't really a win.

[quote name='JJSP']Running 25 year old games on a touchscreen instead of new games that were made for the platform isn't really a win.[/QUOTE]

If you'd rather play angry birds and doodle jump as apposed to earthbound and Super Mario World, then by all means, buy an iPhone.

[quote name='KtMack23']If you'd rather play angry birds and doodle jump as apposed to earthbound and Super Mario World, then by all means, buy an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

The majority of the planet is doing so. Portable gaming is dead as a doornail outside of Japan. Any parent with common sense would get their child a Itouch and 99 cent/free games for cheaper then a 3DS + a game, and more games that cost $40 each. Those days are dead and over in the US. Not only cheaper games, apps for education and learning, and 100s of other uses. Nintendo isnt even relevant anymore to most people, apple took their spot and then some for family friendly and adored.

[quote name='KtMack23']If you'd rather play angry birds and doodle jump as apposed to earthbound and Super Mario World, then by all means, buy an iPhone.[/QUOTE]

Well I already beat both of those games more times than I can remember, so I am going to try new games like Final Fantasy Dimensions

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-transfer-your-contacts-between-iphone-and-android/

I'm currently preparing to transfer from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone. iOS is nice if you enjoy living in a Bio-Dome-esque atmosphere, but I prefer the openness and flexibility of Android.

Now, my only problem is deciding to wait for the Galaxy Note 2 or go with the Galaxy S3. Considering how my iPhone 4's battery has been charging for shit since the iPhone 5 saw release (which is an interesting coincidence), I may opt for the S3, now, then later buy the Note 2. I can swap between phones with my SIM card, right?

[quote name='Chase']http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-transfer-your-contacts-between-iphone-and-android/

I'm currently preparing to transfer from my iPhone 4 to an Android phone. iOS is nice if you enjoy living in a Bio-Dome-esque atmosphere, but I prefer the openness and flexibility of Android.

Now, my only problem is deciding to wait for the Galaxy Note 2 or go with the Galaxy S3. Considering how my iPhone 4's battery has been charging for shit since the iPhone 5 saw release (which is an interesting coincidence), I may opt for the S3, now, then later buy the Note 2. I can swap between phones with my SIM card, right?[/QUOTE]

I would wait for the Note 2.

If the phones are GSM, then yes just swap sims.

Depends on the carrier, Sprint doesn't have that option to switch sim cards, and that pic that compared all the iphones and various others. The s3 that in the comparison was the international quad core version. The US version is the duel core but comes with 2 gigs of ram to make up for it. I don't know why they did this. I can't find any info on if sprint will be carrying the note 2 which is out next month. Samsung has it listed as being sold with 5 carriers this go around. I really wish Apple would fix their new maps option. How am I supposed to use that new fancy map feature that doesn't appear to have all the current roads on the map?

[quote name='slickkill77']
I'd rather play old snes or nes games than these crappy new a-d-d ridden mobile games these days.[/QUOTE]

It's not an ADD thing. It's that for most people mobile gaming is just something to do when needing to kill a minute or two here or there.

I have no need for any type of serious, involved gaming on the go. If I'm out and about I'd doing shit--be it running errands, hanging with friends etc. No time to get sucked into a full on game. Full on games are for when I'm at home and luck into a block of free time where I can sit down and pop an hour or more into a game.

Something like Super Mario World is infinitely better than something like Angry Birds for sure. But if I'm stuck in line or something I can play Angry Birds for a couple of minutes, where as it's a waste to fire up a real game for a couple of minutes. Not to mention that something like Super Mario Bros sucks with touch screen controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='squishface']Depends on the carrier, Sprint doesn't have that option to switch sim cards, and that pic that compared all the iphones and various others. The s3 that in the comparison was the international quad core version. The US version is the duel core but comes with 2 gigs of ram to make up for it. I don't know why they did this. I can't find any info on if sprint will be carrying the note 2 which is out next month. Samsung has it listed as being sold with 5 carriers this go around. I really wish Apple would fix their new maps option. How am I supposed to use that new fancy map feature that doesn't appear to have all the current roads on the map?[/QUOTE]

The note 2 has been officilaly announced for ATT, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular. Its also using the MSM9615 radio, which is a World radio, and is also used in the Iphone 5. The reason why the Iphone 5 on verizon does not do Data + Voice is because apple didnt want to add the line to the antenna, it would have made it heavier and bigger, and CDMA isnt a big concern for them in the big picture. The Note 2 will for sure have voice + data on all platforms and has a nice World radio factory. Ultimate device.

[quote name='squishface']Depends on the carrier, Sprint doesn't have that option to switch sim cards, and that pic that compared all the iphones and various others. The s3 that in the comparison was the international quad core version. The US version is the duel core but comes with 2 gigs of ram to make up for it. I don't know why they did this. I can't find any info on if sprint will be carrying the note 2 which is out next month. Samsung has it listed as being sold with 5 carriers this go around. I really wish Apple would fix their new maps option. How am I supposed to use that new fancy map feature that doesn't appear to have all the current roads on the map?[/QUOTE]The US SGS3 went dual-core because the chipset to support the US cell frequencies for LTE wasn't available in the quad core version of the chip at the time if was released.

Apple is working on fixing Maps for iOS6, and Google is working on a Google Maps iOS app in the meantime.

Also, any Sprint phone that has GSM as a roaming option has a removable SIM card, save the Motorola Photon Q.

Anyone know the going rate for an iPhone 4? I have AT&T and I'm wondering how much I'd have to pay for an iPhone 5 if I sold my iPhone 4 and took advantage of my upgrade eligibility (it's been over 2 years since I got the iPhone 4). Anyone know ballpark numbers? If I could get a 32GB iPhone 5 + another 2 year plan for $100 or something out of pocket I'd probably bite...

[quote name='Javery']Anyone know the going rate for an iPhone 4? I have AT&T and I'm wondering how much I'd have to pay for an iPhone 5 if I sold my iPhone 4 and took advantage of my upgrade eligibility (it's been over 2 years since I got the iPhone 4). Anyone know ballpark numbers? If I could get a 32GB iPhone 5 + another 2 year plan for $100 or something out of pocket I'd probably bite...[/QUOTE]

Last check I made, few days ago, had the trade-in value at around $150 for my 16 GB at AT&T, and over $200 at Amazon. The Amazon trade-in value is a steal if you have the patience. I'm leaning towards a simple walk-in at my local AT&T store.

Being both an Android and iOS user, I have to say both of them are about equal at this point. Android is more customizable which is a good thing, but iOS has a cleaner, simpler interface. App wise they are about the same. Android has just as much crappy mobile games as iOS does (although both do have faerie solitary so it's all good). Also running emulators on Android is not going to be fun with touchscreen controls.

Your best bet is to just go to a store and try both out. I mean if your not locked into one store app wise, just try both out.

So assuming I do the walk-in, $150 isn't bad (and I have a 32GB so maybe I could get a few more dollars out of it). That would bring the cost down to about $150 for a 32GB iPhone 5. I might actually go ahead and do this... My wife wants one too. She would be good with the 16GB version... hmmm...

[quote name='Javery']So assuming I do the walk-in, $150 isn't bad (and I have a 32GB so maybe I could get a few more dollars out of it). That would bring the cost down to about $150 for a 32GB iPhone 5. I might actually go ahead and do this... My wife wants one too. She would be good with the 16GB version... hmmm...[/QUOTE]
If you find out, lemme know - I've got a 32GB iPhone 4 I'm looking to get rid of for a 16GB 5 (with the Dropbox app syncing my photos automatically to my account and Spotify/Audiogalaxy for music, I don't need 32GB anymore). I'm getting offers for around $175 on Craigslist, but if I can get $200 from AT&T, I'm in.

im not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet but how does the battery on normal and high end use compare for both devices android and apple? After about 1 to 1 1/2 years my battery in my android went down hill a good bit. It's been a little over 2 years now and I can barely get anything out of it. I get 2 -3 1/2 hours maybe with little use and 6-8 hours of standy.

I'm shocked to see so many good answers on this thread. Thought it would be a flame war. I have to agree to try the ones out like the Lumina 920, iPhone 5 and S3 (just to name the hot 3) and see which one feels better and smoother to you. It's a great time to be in the market for a cell phone with so many great ones out and more on the way.

Went from S2, to 4S, and now with my upgrade last month, I got the S3 and recommend the S3 completely. I played around with my friend's 5, and while it's noticeably better than the 4S in all ways, I was so happy I didn't wait for the iPhone.

Note to those shopping for an iPhone 5. Apparently the Lightning connector has an authentication chip built into it so it looks like no more cheap sync or charging cables. Just FYI!

Iphone 5 issues include broken maps, phones that come scratched out of the box from factory and scratch very easily, and now the camera lens is making pictures come with a purple flame, its the newest defect found on the iphone 5.

I would recommend just getting a cheaper used Iphone 4S if you need a iphone and saving your upgrade for a product worth the money.

You can google Mapacolapyse for the map issue, Scuffgate for the scratch issue, and here is a link to the iphone 5 lense issue:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/26...bly-the-same-issue-that-plagued-the-leica-m8/

I went with a Galaxy S3, have had it for a few days, and will be returning to an iPhone. I made efforts to find things to like about the Android platform, but, to be honest, I have nothing but disappointment.

And, holy shit, the battery drains incredibly quickly. Why do so many nonessential services run in the background? I even made an adjustment to the "Allow background something or something" in the Developer options by changing it to "disable," and random programs still run in the background.

I like to think I have the capability to understand various things of tech relation. I have built websites from scratch, am familiar with web design coding, and jailbroke my iPhone—and—holy shit—I have no idea why things don't work with the Android platform.

It's just the accumulation of little things. Videos don't automatically load into full-screen, and I have to tinker with too many options to get shit to work. Why in the world is there a "desktop" on top of all of my apps? Where is the freakin' Google Docs app? Why is the design of the Google Drive app so poor? There are three separate volume settings and why can't I mute my phone completely with the volume slider? How the fuck do I stop apps from sending push notifications? Where is my fucking em dash? Why can't I pinch and zoom my wallpapers? Just fuck this platform. I have never been so upset about any gadget before this fiasco. This is a UFC 148-level disaster, in my opinion, and absolutely infuriating.

I use my phone for Awesome Note, Alien Blue, and TweetList—and I could find no Android equal. I'll go down to an iPhone 4S, I don't give a fuck. Hopefully, I can find a store with iPhone 5 stock, or that stock will come in within the next 27 days. fucking fuck this.

(My apologies for the language. Just letting off some steam. And I'm somewhat angry.)

In any event, I have nothing but disappointment about the Android platform. I had expectations that have not been met, and will return to something more familiar.

Translate that into some shitty meme if it helps the digestion.

The single biggest draw for iOS is the simplicity and intuitiveness of the design. The only complaint I hear from ex-Android users is the loss of Swype; nobody every says they really miss Advanced App Killer.

If you use App Killer on anything after android 2.0 or so, it just shows how stupid you are. Android takes care of all of that since many versions ago, task killers are like snake oil, pure bullshit and actually hurt performance and battery life most of the time.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but also remember if you are deciding to continue with iPhone or move across to Samsung just how much money have you spent on the app store.

I'm in your boat OP. After reading about the scratches to the aluminum backing on the black model, map issues, lagging text messaging keyboard, and a bunch of other problems, I'm leaning towards the S3. I would like to read more about the Lumia 920 but that doesn't seem to be coming to Verizon. I guess what I'm more concerned about now is the battery life and the antennae signal. I'll be making my decision soon on my upgrade. Even the Motorolla Razr Maxx HD is looking good. Note 2 is way too huge for my pockets I'm assuming.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']I'm in your boat OP. After reading about the scratches to the aluminum backing on the black model, map issues, lagging text messaging keyboard, and a bunch of other problems, I'm leaning towards the S3. I would like to read more about the Lumia 920 but that doesn't seem to be coming to Verizon. I guess what I'm more concerned about now is the battery life and the antennae signal. I'll be making my decision soon on my upgrade. Even the Motorolla Razr Maxx HD is looking good. Note 2 is way too huge for my pockets I'm assuming.[/QUOTE]

Lumia 920 is supposed to come to Verizon in November.

The only thing that bothers me slightly now about the Lumia 920 is the weight, was looking at someones 900 and it felt a bit heavy and the 920 is 30 grams heavier than that I believe.

I'm coming from a Samsung Focus which may be a bit plasticy but it is light.

[quote name='Chase']I went with a Galaxy S3, have had it for a few days, and will be returning to an iPhone. I made efforts to find things to like about the Android platform, but, to be honest, I have nothing but disappointment.

And, holy shit, the battery drains incredibly quickly. Why do so many nonessential services run in the background? I even made an adjustment to the "Allow background something or something" in the Developer options by changing it to "disable," and random programs still run in the background.

I like to think I have the capability to understand various things of tech relation. I have built websites from scratch, am familiar with web design coding, and jailbroke my iPhone—and—holy shit—I have no idea why things don't work with the Android platform.

It's just the accumulation of little things. Videos don't automatically load into full-screen, and I have to tinker with too many options to get shit to work. Why in the world is there a "desktop" on top of all of my apps? Where is the freakin' Google Docs app? Why is the design of the Google Drive app so poor? There are three separate volume settings and why can't I mute my phone completely with the volume slider? How the fuck do I stop apps from sending push notifications? Where is my fucking em dash? Why can't I pinch and zoom my wallpapers? Just fuck this platform. I have never been so upset about any gadget before this fiasco. This is a UFC 148-level disaster, in my opinion, and absolutely infuriating.

I use my phone for Awesome Note, Alien Blue, and TweetList—and I could find no Android equal. I'll go down to an iPhone 4S, I don't give a fuck. Hopefully, I can find a store with iPhone 5 stock, or that stock will come in within the next 27 days. fucking fuck this.

(My apologies for the language. Just letting off some steam. And I'm somewhat angry.)[/QUOTE]

I see so many people praising the S3 and saying how the iPhone doesn't compare, but this is the type of stuff I'm worried about. I love my 4S, it just works so well.

My contract's up next week, and I'm gonna mess around with my uncle's S3 soon, but I think I'm gonna go with the iPhone 5.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Lumia 920 is supposed to be a ATT exclusive, verizon is getting the 820 and the htc phones.[/QUOTE]

There's no proof of that. Till now, it's still all rumors. AT&T is the only confirmed carrier at the moment (release either in late October or November). But Verizon is rumored to get their own version of the 820, 920, the HTC and Samsung Windows 8 phones also. There are unverified Verizon roadmaps leaking out showing that, but typically all parties are keeping mum for now.

Having said that, I really really hope it (the 920) comes out on Verizon.

[quote name='rhymenoceros']There's no proof of that. Till now, it's still all rumors. AT&T is the only confirmed carrier at the moment (release either in late October or November). But Verizon is rumored to get their own version of the 820, 920, the HTC and Samsung Windows 8 phones also. There are unverified Verizon roadmaps leaking out showing that, but typically all parties are keeping mum for now.

Having said that, I really really hope it (the 920) comes out on Verizon.[/QUOTE]We should know more by mid-October on who's getting the 920. AT&T was a given, though I'd be surprised if it didn't hit the other three major carriers at some point. 920 is supposed to be the savior phone for Nokia as they're starting to flounder a bit, so I would think they'd want it as wide as possible.

It's gonna be a few more weeks according to the local stores on getting any iphones, so im gonna see if i can find a deal on the s3 still haven't seen anything good.

bread's done
Back