Samsung LN40A650 40-in HDTV

I JUST purchased this TV from Amazon as well, but I don't receive it until Wednesday. If you can wait that long for a feedback I will let you know how it is. I'll be hooking up my computer (for PC gaming) as well as my 360 to it. But I don't have any Blu-Ray or HD DVD player so I won't be able to comment on movie quality.

SOSTrooper, if you could let me know what you think about it when you get it, I'd appreciate it.

I don't know if I like the red ring either, but I'm more concerned about the technical aspects, rather than the aesthetics of it.

Gizmodo is saying big price drops this month on HDTV's across the board. Just hold off on buying anything and see what happens.

I have the 46, Amazing tv. One of the best , some say the best, LCD out there.

And at home you don't see the red at all. Slightly but not like the photo on amazon at all. I have had people over a few times watching stuff on it, and about a month later it was proclaimed " What, your tv is red!?" As if they where letting me know incase i missed it ;)

You will not be sorry for the order... unless it is cracked, or dead pixel, or de-lamination, and all that fun stuff!

Ohh and your title should be "Samsung LN40A650 40-in HDTV"

[quote name='von551']dude, that is a great price. i'm jealous. i just bought my ln-t4069fx in december for $1600. it's a great tv and this one can only be better. sammy is definitely the best LCD you can get as far as picture quality. the 81-series sammy's are LED backlit and are supposed to have deeper blacks than the new 6&7 series'. the red's kinda weird too, but sammy kills 'em all.

review:
http://gizmodo.com/341062/samsungs-...hdtvs-get-ethernet-amber-tint-but-no-leds-wtf[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. Some interesting info on there!

[quote name='Lice']I have the 46, Amazing tv. One of the best , some say the best, LCD out there.

And at home you don't see the red at all. Slightly but not like the photo on amazon at all. I have had people over a few times watching stuff on it, and about a month later it was proclaimed " What, your tv is red!?" As if they where letting me know incase i missed it ;)

You will not be sorry for the order... unless it is cracked, or dead pixel, or de-lamination, and all that fun stuff!

Ohh and your title should be "Samsung LN40A650 40-in HDTV"[/QUOTE]

I switched the title. Thanks for catching that, I didn't even realize it was wrong. :cool:

I ordered this tv from Amazon also, and received it about three days ago. The picture is pretty nice and the black levels are really good compared to other lcd sets I've seen. Video games, Hd-dvds and Blu-rays look awesome.

Before buying it, I read as many reviews as possible for this thing. The only two bad things I could find were that some people hated the glossy screen because of glare, and the other is that this set had a problem where the screen would just shut off randomly. It has been fixed with a firmware update, although the set I received had it pre-installed.

Oh...I really like the red on the edges of the frame. Its not too noticeable unless the light is hitting it. I think it looks pretty cool.

I got the 4069f a few months back for $1435 and there is something you should know about these televisions... they suffer from stutter and what is known as the "Triple Ball Effect" ... google it. A ton of people on the AVS Forums (Myself included) are fighting to get Samsung to exchange our sets for the 650 series... lots of people are succeeding. Samsung Customer Service is a B!TCH to work with though... super lazy and don't communicate w each other.

[quote name='splattered']I got the 4069f a few months back for $1435 and there is something you should know about these televisions... they suffer from stutter and what is known as the "Triple Ball Effect" ... google it. A ton of people on the AVS Forums (Myself included) are fighting to get Samsung to exchange our sets for the 650 series... lots of people are succeeding. Samsung Customer Service is a B!TCH to work with though... super lazy and don't communicate w each other.[/QUOTE]

This thread is about the 650 series...

So it isn't an issue then?

[quote name='splattered']I got the 4069f a few months back for $1435 and there is something you should know about these televisions... they suffer from stutter and what is known as the "Triple Ball Effect" ... google it. A ton of people on the AVS Forums (Myself included) are fighting to get Samsung to exchange our sets for the 650 series... lots of people are succeeding. Samsung Customer Service is a B!TCH to work with though... super lazy and don't communicate w each other.[/quote]

how do i go about this? has this happened? I have a 4069 and hate the TBE and occasional stutter.

No, it is not an issue with the A650... it has 4ms response time and new panel technology which apparently seem to really help. Dunno what else helps it beyond that. The A650 and A750 are what the 4069 and 4071 owners are trying to force Samsung to allow them to move to... they have released firmware fixes for the 69 and 71 but it really just cripples AMP and isn't much of a fix. They have pretty much abandoned the TVs and have discontinued them or so i've heard.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']The price just went up by $100 to $1658 now.[/QUOTE]

It says $1523.88 for me..price go back down?

The $1523.88 price is from another seller, Electronics Expo (thru Amazon's site); shipping is $69.00.

Amazon is selling it for $1675 now, went up another $17 from last night.

I setup my LN40A650 TV yesterday, have 360, my other PC, PS2, and Wii hooked up to it. The quality is absolutely superb; the red ring that most people worry about is pretty much a no-factor, as you cannot see the red tone until you turn the TV off and be under direct lighting (the red tone doesn't glow). The glossy surface does attract a lot of dust, so make sure your room is clean.

The 360 looks really good on it, although I have it hooked up via VGA to achieve the 1920x1080 resolution (which doesn't support the 120Hz smooth motion with VGA input). Devil May Cry 4 looks very clean and crisp on it, no ghosting, no blurring, and lots of options to set the color just the way you want. The screen settings (such as brightness, backlit level, contrast, colors, ratio, 120Hz, black & white level, etc) are input specific, so you are free to set each device to your tasting without worrying about distorting settings of your other devices. But that's probably standard in most TVs nowadays.

To display my PC, I used a DVI to HDMI cable and it works nicely, although the TV doesn't recognize 16:10 resolutions (typical for widescreen LCD), any 16:9 runs fine. So if you plan on playing a game with the TV, make sure the resolution it is running at is supported by the game AND the TV, otherwise you'll be stuck with a black screen. I'm running my desktop resolution at its native 1920X1080; edge to edge it looks very crisp, each character I'm typing here are pixel fine when looked upclose at the TV. One problem I found out is that if I'm on a website that has red text, the redness tends to bleed one pixel to the right, almost like a shadowy image of the text. Only happens with red text though, red images look fine. So I might have to play around with the color settings some more.

The speakers from the TV works fine for regular TV programs, and maybe older games. But they're dinky compared to a stereo setup.

One con about this TV is the lack of rear Composite and S-Video input (they're both on the left side, and only 1 of each, which shares the same Red/White audio input) So if you have a couple of old devices (such as SNES and Dreamcast), you'll need to use an external A/V switch.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the TV, it is definitely $1500+ well spent.

SOSTrooper, thanks for your review. This TV sounds really impressive and I have yet to read a negative review about it. Most likely, I'll get this TV before the month is over. I'm just waiting to see if the price is going to drop anymore this month per Gizmodo. If anyone else has any comments about this TV post 'em here! :)

[quote name='SOSTrooper'] The glossy surface does attract a lot of dust, so make sure your room is clean.[/QUOTE]

...and I'm out!... :D j/k

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great set. How's it look in a bright room? My living room gets alot of sun.

I was able to play around with the auto motion plus 120Hz (AMP) using my PC as the source. 1080p trailers from Apple.com look very smooth, almost life-like. Any video played from the PC (avi, wmv, mkv, etc) look very smooth with AMP on at highest (you can set it to off, low, mid, high). Although I did not notice a difference when playing PC game between AMP off and at high setting, so the 120Hz may not benefit gaming as much as movies.

*Edit*

I noticed something odd with this TV today. I tried to play TF2 on the TV via DVI to HDMI cable, at 1360x768 (I only have an X800XL on the PC), and I noticed an annoying lag between my keyboard & mouse input and the execution on the screen. It feels like as if my mouse has a 1/5th of a second of delay. But once I switched to VGA connection between the PC and the TV, the lag is gone. So seems like there is a display delay between the signal sent out from the PC via DVI to the display of the information on the TV via HDMI. I can't tell if it's a cable specific problem, as I only have one DVI to HDMI cable.

just purchsed same t.v and im about to take it back because i cant get to play 1080p through my component cables for my 360...says mode not supported...was wonderin if u coulld help with this problem

[quote name='jbell2384']just purchsed same t.v and im about to take it back because i cant get to play 1080p through my component cables for my 360...says mode not supported...was wonderin if u coulld help with this problem[/quote]

Not every TV supports 1080p over component. Some cheaper 1080p lcd's work, and a lot of high end ones do not. Its weird. I think its because they follow the specs too closely. I hear you can use the VGA cable tho, or just get a HDMI 360.

have a 46 inch d62 sharp aquos downstairs and it plays in 1080p fine on that....did your x box have hd component cables?

but all in all i really love this t.v i have a ps3 hooked up hdmi and and a comp straight through hdmi they both look stunning..blu ray never looked so 3d....just wish i could know something aint wrong with my t.v cuzz it dont support 1080p through compnent

I've never tried using the component cable w/ the 360. I hooked it up via VGA and it works at 1080p and games look really sharp on it. The only device I have hooked up via component is the Wii, but it doesnt support 1080p anyway, so I'm not sure why it wont display 1080p signal via component on the TV.

well i ended up takin back my t.v do to a stuck pixel...just exchanged it cuzz i love the t.v i bought a vga cord but thought it looked like shit so just gonna go buy a new x box tomorrow

[quote name='jbell2384']do u have the samsung 40a650?[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply but yes, I have the 46a650, Im assuming they are the same.

I just plugged in my Xbox 360 into the TV and flipped the switch on the component cable to HD (it's located on the grey adapter plug) and I was able to display 1080p. BUT I read on AVS Forum that a bug in the 6 series TV causes the screen to flicker every so often while displaying 1080p signal from a component cable. And I'm experiencing just that; rendering games at that resolution nearly unplayable as it blacks out every 3 seconds or so and comes back 2 seconds later. Hopefully the next firmware update will fix this. For now I'm running the 360 on 720p while my PC uses the VGA port.

I saw both the 650 and 750 at Best Buy the other day. The Touch of Color (red) accent is pretty subtle. Its nowhere near as pronounced as it looks in any promo images you might have seen online. The one thing that most people complain about on these Samsung sets are the glossy screens. If you are going to be viewing this set from a room where you can't control the lighting conditions you may want to look at another set.

You may also want to check out the AVS Forums and do some research before you make any kind of purchase:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

FYI Frys has a comparable price to Amazon on these for its Memorial Day sale (except for the tax of course).

I just received this TV yesterday and it is AMAZING!

Yes, the tv definitely does 1080p via component... and as far as the on/off flickering w the 360 over component they just fixed that in the firmware update recently released. Be sure to update your sets folks!

:)

I'm buying this exact model if Circuit Shity ever gets it in stock Don't feel like applying for a Best Buy card, even though they are the only store to have this model in their ads.

I might bite the bullet and get it off Amazon for like $1500 if shipping is reliable and the extended service plans don't have any bullshit hidden in them.

Question for anyone who has it though, how does SD look? I'm all for HD and Blu-Ray, unfortunately it's going to be probably about 5 years before it settles in and that's a long time to be watching SD on an HDTV.

Thought I'd share my recent TV shopping experience:

A few weeks ago I was at Wal-Mart looking at their HDTVS. I had not done any research what so ever. The Samsung LNT4032HX caught my eye right away. It was on sale for 900 something. Ended up being $1,136 after tax and warranty. I was really excited. I got it home couldn't believe how much bigger the 40 inch tv looked when I got it in my room. Anyways to make a long story short... I was not pleased with the picture of this tv..

This model must be VERY old... I felt ripped off. I guess thats how Wal-Mart works they put old ass tv models in their stores and make the price look attractive. Looking around online, other than Wal-Marts website. I could not really find any information on it. It was also a 720p set.. 8ms response time etc.. etc... I thought wow you know the 5000:1 contrast ratio must be really high because my friends set was like 400:1 and it looked fantastic. Nope the tv sucked ass for video games and movies. My friends Poloroid Tv still looks better. Fast motion was really blurry.. colors were washed out really bad. I could never get it to look the way I expected it to look.

After a couple of days of browsing the web and research I find the LN40A650 at Amazon! It has 120hz, 4ms response time, 1080p, 4hdmi inputs, 50,000:1 contrast ratio (jesus no tv out there seems to sport that high of a ratio) So anyways I don't know if the contrast ratio really makes that big of a difference or not. But it certainly sounds impressive. What really kicked me in the ass was the fact that this tv was only $300 more than the one I just bought which was an outdated hunk of crap. (it may be good for old people and non video gamers though *movies and TV looked Ok*)

I took the TV back to Wal-Mart had a bit of a hassle letting me return it.. I had bought it only a week ago.. and my receipt was fine yet when they compared the receipt to the barcode on the tv.. it was saying that it was purchased over 90 days ago. Needless to say I was furious, but they sorted it out.. don't know how...but they did. I got my money and I was out the door happy as a clam. Dreaming about the A650 and how much better it should be and thanking the lord that I did not get ripped off and have to keep an old ass Samsung unit that should be priced around the $500 mark.

I orderd my LN40A650 last thursday.. It is supposed to ship today. I can't hardly wait for it to get here.. it's driving me nuts. As I wait I still find myself looking over the reviews and pictures and what not. It doesn't look like i'm going to get the set until around June 5 or 6th. Right now i'm playing on a 20 inch flat screen LCD computer monitor and its driving me bat sh#t crazy. It looks decent but I have to do a lot of squinting and COD4 my KD ratio is getting mangled. So yeah I'm obsessed over this TV and I hope that it turns out to be what I really want and from what i've read it is going to be awesome. I will do a follow up post when I get it and let you know how it is.

As of this writing the tv is for sale at $1556.80 at Amazon with free shipping. Best buy wants $2,000+ for it... which is a shame because I could have had it now if those bastards weren't so overpriced.

I'm looking forward to playing my 360 on there and eventually getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray and MGS and such.

[quote name='jbell2384']just purchsed same t.v and im about to take it back because i cant get to play 1080p through my component cables for my 360...says mode not supported...was wonderin if u coulld help with this problem[/QUOTE]

HDMI cable is ur Friend

[quote name='Swingman']so when are these price drops going to occur?[/quote]

Seriously. I'm waiting patiently, but I have to purchase by the end of July for my new place.

So does this TV have input lag or no? I've read you can't play 360 games in 1080p or something...hopefully it's wrong?

And yes, when are these price drops going to occur?

You cannot play 360 in 1080p with component cable. The TV has a bug where the screen constantly blacks out for 2 seconds every 5 seconds or so, making it unplayable. But HDMI and VGA cables work good at 1080p for PS3 and 360, respectively. I haven't experienced any input lag except when using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for the computer. But I currently use VGA for my computer and it's working fine. I have no choice but to run my 360 via component cable (I still got the launch 360 unit) at 720p while my PS3 looks great at 1080p via HDMI.

The price drop occurred back in beginning of May. So another drop is probably not soon.

Ah, I see. Thanks SOS. Yeah, I read that your DVI to HDMI issue...at first, I was like...why would he use component for 1080p??? =P

Well, I have my eyes set on this TV...everyone on the net seems to agree that this is THE best LCD available out now...

Anyone find any deals on this TV yet? There's some on Google's Checkout results for under $1400, but I'm kind of wary about those sites...

http://www.conices.com/Samsung-LN40A650-40-inch-1080p-120Hz-LCD-HDTV-with-RED_P94416/

http://www.preferredphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=9947016&l=Froogle

Series 7 Step-Up Features

* Internal flash memory (1GB) with pre-loaded interactive content such as cooking recipes, children's entertainment, HD artwork and more
* Integrated woofer for an enhanced audio experience
* DLNA-Compatible: for better interoperability with electronics, computers and mobile devices from many different manufacturers (Learn more)

That's what the 750 has over the 650.

I'm probably going to get the LN40A550 but hoping I can wait it out til it's under $1000.

bread's done
Back