Samsung LN40A650 40-in HDTV

i have a slightly older 6 series samsung 1080p 40 inch LCD. ( LNT4061F )

I'm super happy with it, and i haven't seen a series 6 or 7 samsung LCD that didn't impress me.

Also, for people that have bright rooms their TV's are going to be in. I was in the same boat and the matte screen on the samsungs are great. Theres absolutely no glare whatsoever even in pretty intense sunlight. You do sacrifice some contrast. But honestly, it's totally worth it for me, or anyone in a bright room.

After much pondering and over half a year trying to decide on getting a TV, I've decided that this TV may not be worth it.

When I was about to buy it on Amazon, it was going to be $1684 total. After a talk with friends and some people who know a lot about TVs, most of the features on this TV or the 750 are not worth it. You are actually paying $600+ more for the 120HZ, and to be honest, there isn't a significant difference at all between 60hz and 120hz.

Unless there's a way cheaper price, then I guess I should just get the Sony KDL-40S4100.

This has been fixed by a recent firmware update. Atleast on the 46a650. Can't imagine it would be any different for the 40 inch. It supports 1080p through component now.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']You cannot play 360 in 1080p with component cable. The TV has a bug where the screen constantly blacks out for 2 seconds every 5 seconds or so, making it unplayable. But HDMI and VGA cables work good at 1080p for PS3 and 360, respectively. I haven't experienced any input lag except when using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter for the computer. But I currently use VGA for my computer and it's working fine. I have no choice but to run my 360 via component cable (I still got the launch 360 unit) at 720p while my PS3 looks great at 1080p via HDMI.

The price drop occurred back in beginning of May. So another drop is probably not soon.[/QUOTE]

If it's worth the additional $600 for 120hz is up to you, but I see quite a bit of difference. I wasn't sure if I liked it before. I actually was more impressed by the picture on this series over the others. After having it now though, I love it.

I'm just somewhat burned out on Sony TVs. My KDF-E50A10 lasted about a year and a half, my uncle had the 40 inch version of this set, and had problems with it too. I know it's apples and oranges for the TV you mentioned and the A10, so take this as just sour grapes for me. I'm sure you'll be happy with either.

[quote name='Renzo_']After much pondering and over half a year trying to decide on getting a TV, I've decided that this TV may not be worth it.

When I was about to buy it on Amazon, it was going to be $1684 total. After a talk with friends and some people who know a lot about TVs, most of the features on this TV or the 750 are not worth it. You are actually paying $600+ more for the 120HZ, and to be honest, there isn't a significant difference at all between 60hz and 120hz.

Unless there's a way cheaper price, then I guess I should just get the Sony KDL-40S4100.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Renzo_'] After a talk with friends and some people who know a lot about TVs, most of the features on this TV or the 750 are not worth it. You are actually paying $600+ more for the 120HZ, and to be honest, there isn't a significant difference at all between 60hz and 120hz.

[/QUOTE]

You need new friends! j/k. But seriously, don't jump to conclusions before seeing it and comparing yourself. 120 Hz looked a hell of alot smoother to me. I don't personally think the 750 series is worth the extra dough (I already have a kick-ass sound system, and c'mon, RECIPES??), but I'm jumping on the 650 as soon as I can scrounge the cash up.

http://multi.gnt.lt/pages/brochures/samsung/samsung_lcd_pdp_2008.pdf

There's Samsung's roadmap for the rest of this year.

They're coming out with a 950 series, although I'm looking for a 52" and they're not releasing it in that size. :cry: They're also coming out with a 630 series, I wonder at what price point.

Good news about the price drop on the 650s, I'm still leaning towards that. Anyone have any idea how much of a drop we're talking about?

Yes, this set is absolutely gorgeous. I would prefer the 6 series, I really don't need the recipes and the other stuff. Just give me the 120 mHz.

[quote name='keithp']http://multi.gnt.lt/pages/brochures/samsung/samsung_lcd_pdp_2008.pdf

There's Samsung's roadmap for the rest of this year.

They're coming out with a 950 series, although I'm looking for a 52" and they're not releasing it in that size. :cry: They're also coming out with a 630 series, I wonder at what price point.

Good news about the price drop on the 650s, I'm still leaning towards that. Anyone have any idea how much of a drop we're talking about?[/quote]55" LCD TV with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, and LED backlighting? :drool:

Someone hold me.

Well, the thing is with the 650 on amazon is only a 100 or 200 less than the 750. I was thinking the extra hundred or 2 wasn't much more to get a 750 than a 650...

So only the 650s will be dropping? Not 750?

Also for contrast ratios, is more contrast really noticeable? I've been doing some research and the human eye can only see 300:1 max. So more contrast supposedly doesn't mean anything?

Can we get a TV GURU up in here? Haha. TVs are so complicated...there has to be a TV consistant for gaming, fast response time, HDTV and fairly cheap, around $1300 =\

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Question for anyone who has it though, how does SD look? I'm all for HD and Blu-Ray, unfortunately it's going to be probably about 5 years before it settles in and that's a long time to be watching SD on an HDTV.[/quote]

SD looks great. You can see my SD pictures at this link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14027878#post14027878
I have the LN46A750, but the picture quality should be the same as the 650

[quote name='Renzo_']So does this TV have input lag or no? [/quote]
In normal modes, there is noticeable lag, and there are a few ways to get rid of it
1) as someone mentioned, you can use the VGA input
2) you can put the set into game mode, which prevents you from adjusting many of the settings
3) there are rumors of less lag if you use hdmi port 2 specifically and label it as "PC", but I'm not sure I believe that.

[quote name='illstate101']]The only two bad things I could find were that some people hated the glossy screen because of glare[/quote]

I think the glossy screen also has a lot to do with the realistic picture that the set has, so it's a trade off.. It's similar to matte vs glossy screens on laptops. I like the prettier picture for TV's, but the glare bothers me when I'm working on a laptop.

Also, don't forget that Amazon has a 30-day price guarantee, which is nice with these prices jumping up and down every day. They make it very easy to get the price match too.

Renzo if you're not sold on the 120hz, why not just get the 550 model instead? The 550s are still very highly rated, and 1 less HDMI port is no big deal.

East: The 550 is almost like the Sony 4100...I'm still trying to decide as I type, haha.

So it's either Sony's brand or Samsungs...stories left and right, Sony's products are better, but Samsung's are the best for LCD and gaming, Sony is more reliable, yet Samsung is the favorite among a lot of people as well...

Then there's the possible price drop this weekend...I can't wait any longer!

[quote name='scuba t']I'll be watching the gold box today when 4 o'clock rolls around, "big tv, big discount."[/QUOTE]

Sharp Aquos LC65D93U 65-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV: Link

Boo.

I just had to chime in here. Ive got the 46" samsung 650 and have been using it for about the past 2 - 3 weeks here. Just finished Metal Gear Solid 4 on it and I have to say it is the best TV Ive ever owned. Prior to this TV I had a Panasonic 42" Plasma and this crushes that TV completely, Ill never go back to Plasma. Standard Def stuff like PS2 games and such look light years better then the Plasma ever did as well.

Yeah Im in love with this line of TV's and the week I bought it Best Buy had the 46" for 50 dollars less then the 40" (funny thing is while I was waiting up front for it some guy walked out with a 40")

So thats my 2 cents

Well I doubt very many take advantage of that deal. The Sharp is still a few thousand overpriced. lol

Gamers, how much was best buy chargin for the 46in 650? I'm going to be a waiting another few months but trying to watch the price fluctuations.

The 40 inch dropped $68 or so in price today for the people who ordered it within the last month to get your money back. I wonder if this is the big price drop?

[quote name='Swingman']Well I doubt very many take advantage of that deal. The Sharp is still a few thousand overpriced. lol

Gamers, how much was best buy chargin for the 46in 650? I'm going to be a waiting another few months but trying to watch the price fluctuations.[/quote]

It was still much more then what Amazon charges to be honest. My Fiancee was giving me flack about ordering it online and to make peace in the house I went with the brick and mortar store front.

I've had the LN40A650 for about a week now. It looks amazing!

I have it set up right next to a sliding-glass door where glare was a problem with my old CRT TV. The LCD is in the same place but seems to have some anti-reflective coating because I'm seeing a lot less glare. I'd prefer a less shiny finish, but when the TV is on you don't notice it.

The contrast ratio is awesome.

The 120Hz refresh with the motion interpolation feature makes everything look smoother than my older 60hz LCD.

When you set an input to "game mode", lag on a 650 set is less than most other LCDs and plasmas, but not as small as a CRT. There's a good thread at avsforum.com that gives actual numbers if you're interested in the details.

I got mine for $1400 shipped from Frys.com, but that sale is over now. To get the best price just be patient and keep checking all the reputable retailers for unadvertised sales.

yeah, i have the previous model before this, 4069FX. I love it and the 120Hz is great, making movies look better and smoothing gameplay. best lcd money can buy. i can't believe how cheap the 6 series are already, $1400 is a steal.

I've had my eye on this tv for quite some time...I've been socking most of my cash into stocks for the past year+, but I plan to start saving for this TV and working 25+ hours a week this coming semester. If I get the expected returns I have on my stocks, I'll definitely spring. If only Amazon hadn't decided to charge sales tax in NY =/. Hopefully it'll pop up for around 1400$ again somewhere come Christmas time, as that is when I am planning on purchasing.

DarkCecil, that's some kind of new NY tax law, I believe. CAG had problems with DeepDiscount doing the same thing.

Ordered my Samsung LN52A550 from Amazon last week for $1811 or so. I wanted the Series 6 version but Amazon has been sold out for a while and its price is much higher anyway. Bought a tilting wall mount too; can't wait to set everything up. :)

If anybody else is into this sort of movie....
I watched part of Meet the Robinsons on my A650 last night on bluray. All I have to say is, WOW. Cars looked really nice too, but Robinsons looked amazing.

Really a great TV.

Wow, LCDs are getting amazingly cheap. I bought my first and still only LCD TV for just under $1000 for a 32' 720p refurb TV about two years ago.

bread's done
Back