Samurai Shodown Anthology (PS2) 14.99 at Amazon

According to what I was told in the PS2 SamSho thread, Gamestop won't list until they get it because it's under $20.

I tried to Pre-Order it a month ago, and the guys at GS tried to tell me that it wasn't coming out for the PS2, that it was Wii and PSP only.

its also listed at toys r us for $14.99 w/ free ship, but they charge tax. I think I'll just pick it up at TRU next wednesday.

[quote name='Ronin317']According to what I was told in the PS2 SamSho thread, Gamestop won't list until they get it because it's under $20.

I tried to Pre-Order it a month ago, and the guys at GS tried to tell me that it wasn't coming out for the PS2.[/quote]

Yep, I had the same issue with KOF XI and Neo Geo Battle Colosseum. As per usual, they will have it on the shelf about a week after it is released.

:drool: I've been wanting on this for a while now. I hope it doesn't get delayed I know how SNK/Playmore is xD. I really want it to say the least. Thanks OP.

I've got Samurai Spirits Best Collection for Saturn, I think it's 3 and 4. Considering how much better 4 is than 3, I'm excited to see how 5 is.

2 has always been my personal favorite. Never played 4 or 5 though. These games are the main thing I miss about the Neo Geo AES I sold years back. Hopefully playing this collection with a decent arcade stick will be faithful to the experience of the originals.

So, is there a preferred version, like there was with SNK Classics Vol 1? With that one, I kept reading that the PS2 had slowdown/emulation issues and the Wii version was the one to get.

[quote name='blandstalker']So, is there a preferred version, like there was with SNK Classics Vol 1? With that one, I kept reading that the PS2 had slowdown/emulation issues and the Wii version was the one to get.[/QUOTE]

That's why I'm waiting for reviews and user impressions first. SNK Classics, Metal Slug Anthology and KOF Collection had terrible emulation and bugs.

I am definitely getting this for PS2. When I was a teenager, I used to be a master on Samurai #2 with Charlotte, I literally played for over one hour with one token. Nobody could beat me...

[quote name='safire']I've got Samurai Spirits Best Collection for Saturn, I think it's 3 and 4. Considering how much better 4 is than 3, I'm excited to see how 5 is.[/QUOTE]

SSIV is an outstanding game. The best in the series in my opinion.

SSV is a trainwreck. Unfinished, buggy, sloppy, cheap, and a pimple on the face of fighting games.

Not a deal (as this is the standard price for SNK :ps2: collections) but I'm glad it's coming out.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']That's why I'm waiting for reviews and user impressions first..[/quote]

Same. As much as I want to support their collections, they've dropped some sloppy ones onto the market. I simply can't buy this day one because of that.

Well, it's been almost a year since the Japanese version was released, and SNK did say at one point they were re-optimizing the games for the US release. Either way, I'd rather play it on the PS2 with a stick than on the Wii, even if the Wii version ends up better. I can't imagine playing it on the Wii, even with a classic controller or wavebird.

[quote name='Ronin317']Well, it's been almost a year since the Japanese version was released, and SNK did say at one point they were re-optimizing the games for the US release. Either way, I'd rather play it on the PS2 with a stick than on the Wii, even if the Wii version ends up better. I can't imagine playing it on the Wii, even with a classic controller or wavebird.[/quote]
ya i know what you mean, the wii just isnt good for games like this. dont get me wrong i loooove my wii, however i prefer say an xbox 360 for COD4!!
pixel.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ronin317']Well, it's been almost a year since the Japanese version was released, and SNK did say at one point they were re-optimizing the games for the US release. Either way, I'd rather play it on the PS2 with a stick than on the Wii, even if the Wii version ends up better. I can't imagine playing it on the Wii, even with a classic controller or wavebird.[/quote]

This is basically why I wouldn't buy this for the Wii. I'm sure the Wii, especially relative to the power of the PS2, would be perfectly fine for this game, but that means exactly nothing without a Wii/GC compatible arcade stick... and there is no way I would invest $100+ on an arcade stick for the Wii.

The real question is, why the hell hasn't this been developed for the 360/PS3 also? Both systems could easily emulate these games, on top of supporting online play.

gettin this fo sho.

I got the Samurai Spirits IV special off the HK PSN store, but I just got these sticks for SF4 and I wants moar samsho XD

didn't know they were releasing it on Wii, the Wii controls are horrible for fighters unlesss you have a stick for it.......

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']That's why I'm waiting for reviews and user impressions first. SNK Classics, Metal Slug Anthology and KOF Collection had terrible emulation and bugs.[/QUOTE]

Is this implying that some versions (Wii, PSP, PS2) were better emulated than the other? I have the KOF Collection on PS2, and in KOF 98 there is sound issues, but I was under the impression that ALL versions had that issue...

Cool it's hitting the PSP. I wish I could play fighting games, but I'm iffy on tearing up my thumbs :D

Is the Wii version even still coming out? Amazon only has the PS2 and PSP versions available for preorder.

Anyway, I think I read that the PSP version was plagued by long load times compared to the PS2 version, at least when these were released in Japan. Who knows what the story with the US versions will be. I'll probably pick this up for PS2 but it would be nice to see some reviews/impressions first.

[quote name='oasisboy']I am definitely getting this for PS2. When I was a teenager, I used to be a master on Samurai #2 with Charlotte, I literally played for over one hour with one token. Nobody could beat me...[/quote]

How old are you now??? 25???

I spent 1 quarter every day playing SS3 from start to finish. Unless students trying to beat me in the end i have no challenger! :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']I spent 1 quarter every day playing SS3 from start to finish. Unless students trying to beat me in the end i have no challenger! :)
pixel.gif
[/quote]

Someone is bound to challenge you.

[quote name='evo t rex']SSIV is an outstanding game. The best in the series in my opinion.

SSV is a trainwreck. Unfinished, buggy, sloppy, cheap, and a pimple on the face of fighting games.[/quote]
I concur. Although, my personal fave is II. I'm very curious to see how VI is...

I keep looking at my Saturn III/IV Best Collection, but I can't find the time to hook up the Saturn and such.

Anyways...the consensus is that Gamestop probably won't have this on release day? I wonder if any retail chain will...

[quote name='Lucci YaYo']How old are you now??? 25???[/quote]
probably near that, I'm 28 and I used to love SamSho II for the arcade and SNES, Nakoruru is always my go to fighter ^_^

[quote name='Wolfpup']Cool it's hitting the PSP. I wish I could play fighting games, but I'm iffy on tearing up my thumbs :D[/quote]

But it costs twice as much on the PSP, and will probably have loading issues.

[quote name='sengar']

The real question is, why the hell hasn't this been developed for the 360/PS3 also? Both systems could easily emulate these games, on top of supporting online play.[/quote]

Well, for some people it'll work on their PS3's. Besides, there's a lot more PS2's in US homes vs. either the 360 or PS3.

[quote name='AwRy108']Well, for some people it'll work on their PS3's. Besides, there's a lot more PS2's in US homes vs. either the 360 or PS3.[/quote]

True, but BC on the PS3 creates some frame lag. I would think there would be a decent market for a lag free PS3 or 360 native version with online capability - it's not like the PS2 having a broader installed user base makes porting the game to other platforms financially unwise.

I used to play a ton of Samurai Showdown 2, Bust a Move, and KoF 94 at a pizzeria across the street from my high school my freshman year. That and the Jurassic Park pinball machine and NBA Jam. Even though that pizzeria with its 4 slot MVS system + a pinball machine and NBA Jam was far from an actual arcade, these fond memories are making me long for an American arcade rejuvenation that will sadly never happen. I'm definatley going to pick this up.

[quote name='Gosha']I think it'd be better if they just released this natively on the PS3/X360 as DLC.[/QUOTE]

Oh they will. One. Game. at a time.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Oh they will. One. Game. at a time.[/QUOTE]

over the course of the next 25 years. then get pissed when no one buys it.

[quote name='ninja dog']over the course of the next 25 years. then get pissed when no one buys it.[/quote]
SNK USA's marketing, or lack there of, is amazing, no?

[quote name='sengar']True, but BC on the PS3 creates some frame lag.[/quote]

Really? I didn't notice it on my 60GB PS3, and I've played every genre of PS2 game on my PS3, especially fighting games.

bread's done
Back