Samurai Shodown Anthology still on track?

Ryuukishi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I thought this was supposed to be coming out in September, but I haven't seen any specific release date/price info yet, and Amazon doesn't have a preorder page up. Wikipedia just says "TBA 2008." Is this release still happening this year?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I thought this was supposed to be coming out in September, but I haven't seen any specific release date/price info yet, and Amazon doesn't have a preorder page up. Wikipedia just says "TBA 2008." Is this release still happening this year?[/quote]

Im pretty sure the game is still going to be realeased. IGN recently had a hands-on preview with the game:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/892/892865p1.html

Just expect plenty delays from SNK Playmore USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get PSP version and Wii version :) i already had both PSP & Wii version of SNK Classics Collection v. 1. I'll Pickup all the SNK games here in the US :)

I've always been a fan of Galford. I remember watching people use him in the arcade and I thought that the usage of Poppy was awesome.

Yep, Galford had the dog. I always found it fun to bring Poppy (the dog's name) out and use him as a finishing blow for my opponent. Always gave me a laugh, much to the dismay of who I was playing.

The other thing I like about Galford is that he's a surfer turned Ninja. You can't get much more awesome than that.

SNKP over in Japan actually fucked up that release, so who knows what'll happen with the US version.

I'm expecting this game to hit in late November or December. If it actually comes out in September, that'll be a pleasant surprise, though.

I imported this and I have to say it's a great collection yet still a little dissapointing. It doesn't have SSV Special as advertised (but I've heard the U.S. version will) and I was playing Samurai Shodown II just now while simultaneously playing the arcade game of the same game by using MAME on my laptop, and the graphics are not arcade perfect at all IMO. If I had to take a guess, these are ports from the neo geo but I'm not sure. Still just minor gripes as this is a fantastic collection. Although I should of waited for the U.S. version as I suspect it may sell for $29.99 and I paid $50 for this from play-asia.

[quote name='depascal22']What release hasn't SNK fucked up over the last couple years?[/QUOTE]

Garou : MOTW was really good. KOF Orochi Saga seemed pretty good as well but I had been playing the Saturn versions until then so I can't be sure.

I've been using Ukyo for ages.

I have to agree that Garou MOTW is really good but where's the US version for the PS2? Why didn't we get it on one of the Fatal Fury Battle Archives considering it's part of the Fatal Fury universe? KOF XI was a great game but where's the progressive scan on the US version? SNK has just been giving us sloppy ports and it just reeks of a money grab and nothing else.

[quote name='mike.m']I'm so glad I have all of the great SNK and Capcom fighting games on my Xbox. :)[/quote]

The SNK games on the Xbox are all a big stinkin pile of well you know where I'm going with that. Plus, their best ones (KOF XI and Garou) never saw the light of day on the OG Box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured he was discussing the wonders of emulation. That being said, there isn't an original Xbox pad/stick that's worth a crap for fighting games out of the box.

I am hearing rumblings that Samurai Shodown V: Special has been taken out of the compilation. I hope not because that game does not have a home port so far. Plus, the Zetsumei Ougis are sweet!

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']I am hearing rumblings that Samurai Shodown V: Special has been taken out of the compilation. I hope not because that game does not have a home port so far. Plus, the Zetsumei Ougis are sweet![/quote]

Have a source on that?

SNK Playmore's US site is now pushing the game, but there's still no release date ANYWHERE that I can find. There were a few sites that had it listed as 10-28 release with Orochi, but it never came to pass. And it's still got all the games listed, although no mention of Special for V
http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/

This has to come out before Xmas. I need a fix of SSII...

[quote name='VidgamesgivemeA_D_D']I imported this and I have to say it's a great collection yet still a little dissapointing. It doesn't have SSV Special as advertised (but I've heard the U.S. version will) and I was playing Samurai Shodown II just now while simultaneously playing the arcade game of the same game by using MAME on my laptop, and the graphics are not arcade perfect at all IMO. If I had to take a guess, these are ports from the neo geo but I'm not sure. Still just minor gripes as this is a fantastic collection. Although I should of waited for the U.S. version as I suspect it may sell for $29.99 and I paid $50 for this from play-asia.[/quote]

LOL. The Neo Geo IS the arcade. Maybe you meant Sega Saturn ports? But seriously, playing them on your laptop will make them look worse due to natural screen resolution or look unnatural by making them look more smoother then they were ever originally meant to be. Plus the widescreen ratio that most laptops have now will also stretch em out

I have only played the first SS at the arcade, so I'm definitely looking forward to the Wii version of this.

Amazon has put up listings for all three versions, dated 2/24/2009. MSRP is $29.99 for the Wii and PSP versions, and only $14.99 for the PS2 version!

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Amazon has put up listings for all three versions, dated 2/24/2009. MSRP is $29.99 for the Wii and PSP versions, and only $14.99 for the PS2 version![/quote]

February? WTF? I'm disappointed...to say the least.

BUMP!

Okay...so March 10th, and it's actually the real release date, according to SNK-Playmore USA. Seems like Amazon is the only place to pre-order...the guys at Gamestop looked at me like I was insane, and tried to tell me it's only coming out for the PSP and Wii.

$14.99 pre-order price on amazon...

[quote name='Ronin317']BUMP!

Okay...so March 10th, and it's actually the real release date, according to SNK-Playmore USA. Seems like Amazon is the only place to pre-order...the guys at Gamestop looked at me like I was insane, and tried to tell me it's only coming out for the PSP and Wii.

$14.99 pre-order price on amazon...[/QUOTE]

GameStop does not put games with a price that's less than $20 in their pre-order system. They'll likely still get copies of the game, you just aren't able to pre-order it.

[quote name='Cao Cao']GameStop does not put games with a price that's less than $20 in their pre-order system. They'll likely still get copies of the game, you just aren't able to pre-order it.[/quote]

Interesting...although, it's kinda dumb. I mean really, they're all pre-order centric, and they won't accept it for the one damn game I want to Pre-Order.

[quote name='Ronin317']Interesting...although, it's kinda dumb. I mean really, they're all pre-order centric, and they won't accept it for the one damn game I want to Pre-Order.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I bet they'll tack on an extra $5 over the Amazon price. They did it for stuff like Neo Geo Battle Colosseum and KOF XI.

I've already got the JP version of this, if the US version doesn't get gimped I'll get it as well. If they decide to add pro-scan I'll buy a hooker for whoever did the additional programming.

[quote name='Halo05']Yeah but I bet they'll tack on an extra $5 over the Amazon price. They did it for stuff like Neo Geo Battle Colosseum and KOF XI.

I've already got the JP version of this, if the US version doesn't get gimped I'll get it as well. If they decide to add pro-scan I'll buy a hooker for whoever did the additional programming.[/quote]

There was an article last year from a game conference (e3, maybe?) somewhere on joystiq or kotaku that I can't find right now that said they were re-working some issues from the Japanese collection for the US release, hence why it was taking so long...hopefully they made it smoother.

So if anyone does get the PS2 version and happens to have an 80GB PS3, can you let us know how it works? Thanks

[quote name='altrinh']So if anyone does get the PS2 version and happens to have an 80GB PS3, can you let us know how it works? Thanks[/QUOTE]

As far as I know and from my own personal experience, all newly released PS2 games work just fine with the 80GB. I have bought most of the SNK/Playmore releases and I haven't had a single issue with any of them.

This arrived yesterday & I had no problems playing it on my 80GB. I spent most of my time on I & II but tried out the other four games and they all ran fine!

I received my copy from Amazon this Monday. Unfortunately, I was right about Samurai Shodown V: Special being removed from the compilation. Also, Samurai Shodown is slightly censored and the story scenes from Samurai Shodown V are gone. Also on the PS2, for some weird reason, Select is used to pause while Start is used to taunt. Plus, the PS2 has a few annoying load times between matches. Otherwise, I think it is worth 14.99. At least for Samurai Shodown VI.

[quote name='wizardofcoz4126']I received my copy from Amazon this Monday. Unfortunately, I was right about Samurai Shodown V: Special being removed from the compilation. Also, Samurai Shodown is slightly censored and the story scenes from Samurai Shodown V are gone. Also on the PS2, for some weird reason, Select is used to pause while Start is used to taunt. Plus, the PS2 has a few annoying load times between matches. Otherwise, I think it is worth 14.99. At least for Samurai Shodown VI.[/quote]

I finally ordered it today. I bought it mostly because I've never played Samurai Showdown VI. Besides that I really enjoyed 1,2, and 4 of the series. It will be nice to have them all.

My pre-order is on backorder from Best Buy (wrap your mind around that one). I complained, and they gave me 250 Reward Zone points ($5 certificate) but I have to wait until like the 18th for it...eh, I've got plenty to play now. No biggie.

Hey, so does anyone else's game make kind of a weird noise when loading the character select screen for Samurai Shodown VI? Like a loud honk/screech kind of thing before the music starts?

Is this available anywhere other than Amazon? BestBuy.com can't get it and cancelled my order (and gave me 500 more RZ points...for a total of 750 compensation). There's nothing else I want at Amazon that I feel like spending to get the total above $25...and I'm not paying $5 shipping for the game. Anyone spot this game at a retail level, like TRU or anywhere?

[quote name='Ronin317']Is this available anywhere other than Amazon? BestBuy.com can't get it and cancelled my order (and gave me 500 more RZ points...for a total of 750 compensation). There's nothing else I want at Amazon that I feel like spending to get the total above $25...and I'm not paying $5 shipping for the game. Anyone spot this game at a retail level, like TRU or anywhere?[/quote]

Given SNK's history, I would not be surprised to have it show up in Best Buy's bargain bins eventually. But, since BestBuy.com never got it, who knows?

There's really *nothing* else at Amazon? No books, music, or other games?

In my opinion, it's worth the $5 shipping. Having all the games on one disk is easily worth $20 and then some.

[quote name='blandstalker']Given SNK's history, I would not be surprised to have it show up in Best Buy's bargain bins eventually. But, since BestBuy.com never got it, who knows?

There's really *nothing* else at Amazon? No books, music, or other games?

In my opinion, it's worth the $5 shipping. Having all the games on one disk is easily worth $20 and then some.[/quote]

I ended up ordering it with the Annie Hall DVD. It came last week, but I haven't had a free minute to hook up the PS2 and T5 stick to try it out.

How is everyone liking SS6?

I have the original JP release of SS6. I liked it but the lack of blood seemed really strange after the relentlessly dark Samurai Shodown 4 and 5. Heck, the whole series has been pretty brutal.

I went on a fighting game buying spree and got this + Namco Fighter Collection off Amazon, I'm looking forward to playing Samurai Shodown 1 again, it's been years.

Word. I'm going to try and get to it at some point this week. I busted out SSII and my Neo-Geo Pocket last week, tossed in a new battery, and pounded through the game in 20 minutes with Hmaru. It left me with a "damn I gotta hook my shit up and open the PS2 one" taste.

Off-topic - Capcom/SNK and SSII on the NGPC have to be 2 of the best portable fighting games ever.

bread's done
Back