Samurai Shodown veterans -- looking for your advice! (and/or good 2-d DC fighters)

coltyhuxx

CAGiversary!
I am thinking about picking up a Samurai Shodown game. My only experience with the franchise was with SS2, way back in the mid-90's at a donught shop. Suffice to say, I am not 'in the know' about the franchise.

I really enjoyed the gameplay and thought the characters were particularly cool (Ukyo infirmity always made me think of Doc Holiday so I immediately gravitated toward him :).)

My question for you guys is which of the series do you most highly recommend? Which console (factoring in controller options) boasts the best version?

EDIT:

Thanks for the suggestions, thus far. Is there a particular stick for the PS2 that you guys would recommend? I cant imagine playing on a dual shock.

Man, I have a pro arcade controller for the Dreamcast that my housemate gifted me... any super good 2-d fighters for that? (I know thats a pretty broad question, as isn't the DC supposedly reknowned for fighters?)

* i put this in the general gaming thread in case a current gen console is the way to go with any of the SS titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
ss 2 and up are pretty good either one of them is a good pick although the later of the series aded a few things i didnt like. my favorite character to use in the series where charlotte, genjuro and glaford.

another good neo geo fighting series to try is Last Blade. theres 2 of them in total.

Have they released that samurai shodown anthology for ps2 yet? If so, you might want to check that out... some people say that SNK's work is kinda shoddy on these compilations, but I think it's the better option since you'll be paying alot more for some of the more accurate ports like the 3D0/Neo Geo ports and such.

I'm not a big samsho fan, but I have spent alot of time with SS2 and I think that might be my favorite. I've owned both that and SS4 on neo geo, and just prefer SS2 more(SS4 seemed to have some weird story mode thing going on and the backgroudns kept changing which was distracting).

I'd also give a nod for the last blade games, I also owned one of those and the weapons-based combat was very similiar to SS... I don't know if those are available on any other systems or the compilations though

Samsho anthology for PS2 has been out for a couple months now.

$15 and you can play every one! YOU ARE THE DECIDERER!

They're not perfect ports but they're not terrible and the price is sure as hell right.

Now pray for a US compilation for the Last Blade games.

Is there a particular stick for the PS2 that you guys would recommend? I cant imagine playing that on a dual shock ;)

Man, I have a pro arcade controller for the Dreamcast that my housemate gifted me... any super good 2-d fighters for that? (I know thats a pretty broad question, as isn't the DC supposedly reknowned for fighters?)

I really enjoyed 4 and 5, since they added a bunch of really neat characters. However, I'm fairly certain that 4's pretty broken and 5 is hard to play at a good level .

GGPO in a nutshell adds online play to games that never had it, such as fighters. There are a ton of good sticks for the ps2 any hori will do just fine, or you can hunt down a nubytech street fighter stick. And don't believe Heavy, he has been drinking. SS 5 is awful broken hit boxes , slow downs , combo stutters. If any of this was fixed in the collection I have no idea haven't tried to play 5 on it and won't.

SamSho Anthology is everything you'll ever need. It's got 1-6 from the main series. I think I picked mine up on Amazon for $12. SamSho II has always been my favorite. I did play alot of V on XBLA and at one point was ranked 7th.

I really liked SamSho VI (or Tenka). It has the biggest roster bringing back everyone from previous games. Many SamSho purists disliked this one due to the lack of blood & fatalities. But I say screw em' it's still a fun game. And you can't go wrong with Iroha.

iroha.jpg

^ They actully made 3. Two of which never got console releases, but the 3rd one titled "Warrior Rage" came out for PS1. I neve played the first two but I did own Warriors Rage. It wasn't very good. However they did introduce emo's to Asura & Shiki.

In regards to your question about 2d fighters for the DC I'd have to go with Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, it is by far and away my favourite SF to date, mostly because of the overhauled roster and parrying system.

Honestly, your better off getting an import capable ps2 when it comes to fighters and a 360 or ps3. Most DC fighters all have better ports elsewhere, with the possible exception of Super Street Fighter II X and that just depends on who your talking too.

[quote name='heavyd853']I meant 5 special if that makes a difference![/QUOTE]

Ah ok. I never got to play it but have heard from.. hell everyone that it got a huge redo in special. From what I have read its a shame that they never put perfect outside of a few places in jpn, seems that they really did everything right in that version.

The DC has the best port of Marvel vs. Capcom. I haven't shopped for it in years but the Japanese version was cheap back in 2003.

Some great DC fighters include:

the already mentioned Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (fucking GREAT game)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (better on Saturn, though I'm sure this is your best bet)
King of Fighters '99 and Evolution
The Last Blade 2 (never played it, but I've heard good things)
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (best port of this great game)

There are a few noteworthy imports, but those should keep you busy for a while.

[quote name='lokizz']didnt they make a 3d ss at one point? always wanted to try that.[/QUOTE]
The first Samurai Shodown 64 kicked so much ass. I almost bought the arcade cabinet when the local arcade was selling it.

bread's done
Back