San Diego Comic Con 2006

spideymike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Hi Guys,
I know it's a little early, but is anyone else planning on going? It'll be my first year there. If you've been there before, if you'd like to share some tips, please feel free to post them.
Thanks,
Mike

dang yo this thread made me think "didnt some1 tell me about wizard con?"

so I went to google, and found this:

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/conventions/la.cfm

dat shit went down like 3 weeks ago, what the hell?!?!

mother freakin nerd cons always passing me by and shit.

and the tip for comicon:

park at the ralphs. it's free and they've never caught us.

but jus to be sure, make sure u walk into ralphs jus for drinks and stuff

I went like 4-5 times in the past but I haven't been the past 2-3 years because of my waning interest in comics. With that said, I might go a day or two this year.

Pack lite, don't bring a back back of your comics or binders full of your cards. Take a backpack but pack it with water and some snacks. The place is huge and you really wear your self out even if you are there for just one day. Also the prices of food at the comic con are a huge rip off. Take the free shuttle to Ralphs and get some grub for cheap.

Also buy your tickets early, you save money and won't have to wait in line for a badge.

I've been going for over 10 years and it's always a good time.

Yes yes, park at Ralphs. Make sure to buy some stuff and some sandwiches. Food is expensive at any convention of that nature. Also, come with lots and lots of money to buy stuff, especially the last day. I'm going this year and am going to be buying a ton of shit that I missed last year cause it sold out. Lots of Slave Labor Comics, some anime movies, at least 3 penny arcade t shirts and other stuff. Come prepared and with others. Come with bags, no make that a suit case. Make sure to wait in line for the stuff you want. Come with a DS if you have one, last year there were tons of DS players and Nintendo had a semi wifi thing going on. Also, walking shoes. And dress light.

[quote name='KingDox']Pack lite, don't bring a back back of your comics or binders full of your cards. Take a backpack but pack it with water and some snacks. The place is huge and you really wear your self out even if you are there for just one day. Also the prices of food at the comic con are a huge rip off. Take the free shuttle to Ralphs and get some grub for cheap.

Also buy your tickets early, you save money and won't have to wait in line for a badge.

I've been going for over 10 years and it's always a good time.[/quote]

Bring comics only if you want them to be signed, otherwise I'd forget about it.

[quote name='Ma12kez']Bring a camera, you never know who might be there.[/quote]

Definitely. I bring a camera to no matter what convention I go to. That actually reminds me, I need a new memory stick pro duo for it. I'll have to pick one up.

When I went to CES this year I meant, chatted with, and just hung out and took pictures with Scottie Ngyun (poker star).

I wish we had CAG shirts or something. It would be cool to meet up with some fellow caggers.

The cons took a huge nosedive when Wizard took over. In Chicago, you used to be able to sit in the lobby of your hotel and get to meet artists and writers and get them to sketch something for you. But after they became hip and non-nerds started to show up, it has been in decline for quality and organization.

[quote name='fart_bubble']The cons took a huge nosedive when Wizard took over. In Chicago, you used to be able to sit in the lobby of your hotel and get to meet artists and writers and get them to sketch something for you. But after they became hip and non-nerds started to show up, it has been in decline for quality and organization.[/quote]

I wish I knew which con you were talking about, because last year's San Diego Comic Con was phenomanal (sp I'll worry about that later). I got to see Rob Zombie, etc. Got a mini sketch from the Penny-arcade people, etc. Met a bunch of artists in the hotel I was staying in etc.

It was the Chicago Comic Con before Wizard took over. It acted as the sister show for the San Diego Con. People like Zombie are part of the problem, ten years ago people like him wouldn't be caught dead in there. But then Hollywood and other non comic or D&D related companies came and started to take over and made it into a business promo event in which it made it lose its spontanious laid back like atmosphere. I remember meeting Jim Lee in the Hyatt lobby and got his sig and a sketch, but now a days the artists and writers sit in their rooms and only see the public during their panels or signing time.

[quote name='fart_bubble']It was the Chicago Comic Con before Wizard took over. It acted as the sister show for the San Diego Con. People like Zombie are part of the problem, ten years ago people like him wouldn't be caught dead in there. But then Hollywood and other non comic or D&D related companies came and started to take over and made it into a business promo event in which it made it lose its spontanious laid back like atmosphere. I remember meeting Jim Lee in the Hyatt lobby and got his sig and a sketch, but now a days the artists and writers sit in their rooms and only see the public during their panels or signing time.[/quote]

Somehow I find it hard to believe that Wizard is orchestrating all the artists and writers, etc. to just sit in their rooms. It's really hard to believe that they are trying to keep them locked up like caged animals only to be displayed when they feel so fit.

They have to come out for food sometime.

I usually take the trolley there. I didn't go last year and might not go this year; seeing a fat middle age man in his underwear in an attempt to cosplay has scarred me for life.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Yes yes, park at Ralphs. Make sure to buy some stuff and some sandwiches...[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to get a beer before the con starts. :)

I'll be driving in from San Marcos. Yeah, I know it's a haul, but it's free as opposed to paying $$$ for a hotel.

[quote name='Zoglog']wow it is early...[/quote]

Yeah, I know. I'm excited about going this year. I'm from the Cleveland area and we really don't have any close-by cons that are as monstrous as the SDCC. Mid-Ohio Con, Motor City and Pittsburgh are about 2-3 hours away.

A buddy of mine is going to be speaking on a panel at SDCC this year and all presenters get to bring a guest, so I get to get into SDCC for free. Other than paying for airfaire, car rental, parking, and food, I couldn't pass the chance to finally go. Plus it'll be good to see a lot of my friends from the comic book industry, too. And booth babes. :D

[quote name='vietgurl']I usually take the trolley there. I didn't go last year and might not go this year; seeing a fat middle age man in his underwear in an attempt to cosplay has scarred me for life.[/QUOTE]

Sorry bout that, it was Laundry Day.

I went once personally, and had a blast. At the time, I wasn't particularly into the whole idea of a con, but my buddy who took me along was totally into it-- It's just interesting for people watchin. Just make sure you go with an open mind and/or some LSD.

I might go this year. It's been a long time since I've been to one...I think 14 yrs now. I know I'll be going for sure next year because my portfolio is not ready now and it will be for the next.

spidey, who's your friend that's going to talk?

I will be there. I think the Cag shirt is a great idea. And if not that something else. It would be cool to meet a few of you...

I haven't been to Comic Con in about... 10 years. What is the cost of admission these days if you buy early?

I went last year to promote PMX (Pacific Media Expo) but not sure if i'll bother this year.......... I do wish I saw them filming entourage there though.

At least I got to see the Aquaman setup @ Westwood.

I will be there with bells on.

that sounds wicked gay, but you know what i mean, it's an expression.

Anyway, I went the past few years with my buddies, last year with my best friend and girlfriend, and we'll be flying out for a week again in July. We're staying in a hotel like 8 blocks away... as pumped as I am though, i am really looking forward to places like Panda Express in Horton Plaza the most (what can I say, we don't have any out here in CT).

i meet so many famous people there i love it... was anyone else at the LOST panel two years ago when they showed us the pilot three months before it premiered?

[quote name='Diiz']I haven't been to Comic Con in about... 10 years. What is the cost of admission these days if you buy early?[/quote]

It's $50 for a 4-day pass if you pre-register by April 19th.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I'll be there, and I'll be bugging the shit out of everyone to take a look at my art... just like I do in my sig ;)[/quote]

Shameless plug, but it worked. Nice art.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I'll be there, and I'll be bugging the shit out of everyone to take a look at my art... just like I do in my sig ;)[/quote]

I love the acrylic style with the hint of digital. Perfect mix...

Upload some more marvel stuff if you have it. The wolverine is quite cool... Good job man... Sculpture is bad ass as well... all great!!!

[quote name='spideymike']It's $50 for a 4-day pass if you pre-register by April 19th.[/QUOTE]

Ah, not too bad. Thanks!

[quote name='spideymike']Shameless plug, but it worked. Nice art.[/quote]

Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it! I gotta do what I gotta do to get the word out! :D

[quote name='Lice']I love the acrylic style with the hint of digital. Perfect mix...

Upload some more marvel stuff if you have it. The wolverine is quite cool... Good job man... Sculpture is bad ass as well... all great!!![/quote]

Thank you Lice! It took me a while to settle into a style that really worked for me, but I finally managed to find a process that I'm happy/comfortable with. I'm glad you like the work. Unfortunately I don't have to much more finished Marvel stuff to show at the moment because I'm in the process of moving out of town. However, here are a couple more Marvel pieces that are still in the works:

Another Wolvie, but this time in costume

My take on The Sentry

Enjoy! ;)

[quote name='Zoglog']I went last year to promote PMX (Pacific Media Expo) but not sure if i'll bother this year.......... I do wish I saw them filming entourage there though.

At least I got to see the Aquaman setup @ Westwood.[/QUOTE]this guy named mikei told me l'arc en ciel was gonna be at PMX

he told me when I saw him sometime after I saw him at the TM Revolution show PMX put on,

but where's the L'arc concert?!?! IT NEVER HAPPENED!!

my friend from work saw dir-en-grey and she loved it!

but damnation! we wanna see Laruku!!

[quote name='fart_bubble']I can't wait to see the finished Sentry Painting, very cool pose and background.[/quote]

Thanks man! Are you gonna attend the convention too?

Even though Oreo, I must say that I like your non Marvel stuff more(especially Mr. Embers). I am just starting to get burnt out on the Alex Ross style painting. And yet in the same breath that I would love to see you do Punisher, Silver Surfer, Shang-Chi or Man-Thing.

[quote name='fart_bubble']Even though Oreo, I must say that I like your non Marvel stuff more(especially Mr. Embers). I am just starting to get burnt out on the Alex Ross style painting. And yet in the same breath that I would love to see you do Punisher, Silver Surfer, Shang-Chi or Man-Thing.[/quote]

I've got a few ideas for a Silver Surfer painting so I'll probably do one sooner or later.

I know what you mean about Alex Ross though. He's an amazingly talented draftsman and painter. However, sometimes I feel like I've seen the same painting from him over and over, so it's starts to lose it's impact after a while.

Although I'm flattered by the inferred comparison to Ross's work, I don't want to be another Ross. I'm trying to separate myself by having my style be done with much thicker paint, and actually spelling out and rendering all of the little details instead of just suggesting them like Alex usually does. So I think his works lends itself more to photo-realism and I'm actually trying for hyper-realism where my stuff looks well rendered, but nowhere near like a photo... if any of that artsy crap makes sense. :lol:

I'm planning on going to the convention and getting shitfaced drunk with the Shiflett bros (badass sculpting duo from Texas). It should be all kinds of fun! :D

That makes sense (many artists in the family) to me. After he got huge, it seemed that everyone started to do his style of painting. But after you mention it, I now see the differences in your work. Good thing that my mom or brother doesn't cruise these boards, they would beat me good the next time I see them.

Keep up the good work!

Edit: I was also wondering what size those paintings range in.

Edit 2: Man I have to stop editing these. That is pretty sweet to hang out with the guys from X-Plus/Bowen. I really liked their Grandel Statue, that now one of them is sitting on my bookcase. And I have thier Hulk Statue two shelfs below it.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Not that anyone asked, but I wouldn't head back to California if my life depended on it.[/QUOTE]

You're right, no one did.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Not that anyone asked, but I wouldn't head back to California if my life depended on it.[/quote]
... anyways

Mr oreo,
I have a few questions for you if you wouldnt mind:)

Do you work from refrence? How do you go about getting the pose down?

Being you put alot of work into the sketch do you do any certain process when it comes to the acrylic stage so that you dont loose the sketch underneath?

Did you go to any formal art college back in the day (a wenesday;))

[quote name='fart_bubble']That makes sense (many artists in the family) to me. After he got huge, it seemed that everyone started to do his style of painting. But after you mention it, I now see the differences in your work. Good thing that my mom or brother doesn't cruise these boards, they would beat me good the next time I see them.

Keep up the good work!

Edit: I was also wondering what size those paintings range in.

Edit 2: Man I have to stop editing these. That is pretty sweet to hang out with the guys from X-Plus/Bowen. I really liked their Grandel Statue, that now one of them is sitting on my bookcase. And I have thier Hulk Statue two shelfs below it.[/quote]

Yeah man, the Shifletts are freakishly talented and funny as hell. Their Juggernaut statue is one of the coolest things I've ever seen...ever. This will be the first time I've ever actually met them face to face so I'm pretty excited about it. Dude, you should totally check out their message boards if you get the chance http://www.shiflettbrothers.com/messageboard/index.php . You get to see a lot of behind the scenes prototype stuff, and Brandon and Jarrod spend quite a bit of time insulting each other. So it's fun for the whole family! :applause:

Oh, and those comic book paintings are all 11" X 16.5", which is the largest size in that 2:3 format that will still fit on my scanner.;)

[quote name='Lice'] ... anyways

Mr oreo,
I have a few questions for you if you wouldnt mind:)

Do you work from refrence? How do you go about getting the pose down?[/quote]

Oh, I absolutely work from reference. I get as much reference as I can from taking my own photos, to looking at bodybuilding magazines and whatnot. The more reference you have, the less guess-work you need to do which saves you time in the long run.

As far as getting the pose down, I'll do a bunch of sketches until I settle on something that I think will make a good image. I'll get in front of a mirror and try to act out that pose the best I can and see if it will logistically still work for what I want. If so I'll take pictures of myself in that pose or I'll get someone to pose for me. Then it's all about me trying to combine the energy of my sketches with the reality of the photos into one single image.

[quote name='Lice'] Being you put alot of work into the sketch do you do any certain process when it comes to the acrylic stage so that you dont loose the sketch underneath?[/quote]

Depending on how many major elements there are in a painting, I'll probably draw them each separately on different sheets of tracing paper, and layer them together to get the full image. That way I can move them around in my composition and add or subtract pieces without having to redraw or erase anything. So in that drawing of The Sentry I posted above, the man, his cape, and the sky, are three separate images drawn on three separate sheets of paper.

Another reason I use tracing paper for my drawings is that it makes it easy to transfer them to my illustration board which I'll use for the painting. Since everything is done separately, I can transfer the pieces separately in stages. So I'll transfer the sky and I can paint as freely and loosely as I want without having to paint around the Sentry or his cape because I'll just transfer those pieces down on top of my sky when I'm ready for them. That way I don't have to worry about losing any part of my drawing without being so anal about painting within the lines.

[quote name='Lice'] Did you go to any formal art college back in the day (a wenesday;)) [/quote]

I went to an art school for college but I hated it. It just wasn't for me. Don't let that dissuade you though if you're planning on it. Some people loved their art school experiences, I'm just not one of them. ;)

I ordered the Juggernaut statue but it broke during shipping. One of these days, I buy it. I wish i had the $ for the Thanos statue, very cool looking.

[quote name='adamsappel']Professor Oreo, your art is very well done! Do you write as well? Have you ever laid out a comic?[/quote]

Thank you!

I've written some stuff before but I'll be the first to say that my art is much better than my stories. ;)

Yes, I've laid out a comics and done sequential pages. I don't much care for it though because I'm way too OCD. So, I stick to doing covers because it suits my temperment. I'm just hoping that one day I'll get to do covers for either Marvel or DC. That's the dream gig. :bouncy:

I heard a rumor stating that Kiefer Sutherland (Jack Bauer) might make a visit to this event.

Don't know if it's for sure, but it would be cool to meet him. Not only is he dope in 24, but don't forget the "Tombstone."

Anybody know if VGCats will be there this year? I was really hoping to see them last year, but either I totally missed them and overlooked them or they just weren't there (i believe the latter). Would be cool to talk the guy and maybe buy some t-shirts and get some stuff signed like I did with the PA people last year. Very down to earth and fun to talk to.

bread's done
Back