Santorum of the Rings...

usickenme

CAGiversary!
Embattled U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum said America has avoided a second terrorist attack for five years because the “Eye of Mordor” has been drawn to Iraq instead.

Santorum used the analogy from one of his favorite books, J.R.R. Tolkien's 1950s fantasy classic “Lord of the Rings,” to put an increasingly unpopular war in Iraq into terms any school kid could easily understand.

“As the hobbits are going up Mount Doom, the Eye of Mordor is being drawn somewhere else,” Santorum said, describing the tool the evil Lord Sauron used in search of the magical ring that would consolidate his power over Middle-earth.

“It's being drawn to Iraq and it's not being drawn to the U.S.,” Santorum continued. “You know what? I want to keep it on Iraq. I don't want the Eye to come back here to the United States.”
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-10172006-728120.html

Normally I pay little attention to the guy but this is tragically hilarious.

I dont understand the quote. He's saying he wants people to focus on the problems in Iraq as opposed to the problems in the US (I assume political issues)?

Gargoyles, Slykicks - He's Dark-Sided, his whole press conference is Dark-Sided!!!

marguerite_perrin.jpg

[quote name='Maklershed']I dont understand the quote. He's saying he wants people to focus on the problems in Iraq as opposed to the problems in the US (I assume political issues)?[/QUOTE]
I take it to mean the extremists are being drawn to Iraq (and Afghanistan) to fight in the Jihad, rather than invading and terrorizing the U.S. I could be way off though.

Isn't Lord of the Rings quite un-Christian, much like the Harry Potter books? Will Santorum face hell for reading these books?

[quote name='E-Z-B']Isn't Lord of the Rings quite un-Christian, much like the Harry Potter books? Will Santorum face hell for reading these books?[/QUOTE]

I think LOTR is a-ok for Christians. My girlfriend's mother is very very Christian and LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia are the only explicitly non-christian fiction books she likes.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I think LOTR is a-ok for Christians. My girlfriend's mother is very very Christian and LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia are the only explicitly non-christian fiction books she likes.[/QUOTE]

Chronicles of Narnia non-christian? Surely you jest. It's as mainstream Christian as it gets.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Chronicles of Narnia non-christian? Surely you jest. It's as mainstream Christian as it gets.[/QUOTE]

You and I both know what I meant.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']You and I both know what I meant.[/quote]

I think the point is that there is a difference between mainstream christian and fundamentalist.

[quote name='E-Z-B']Isn't Lord of the Rings quite un-Christian, much like the Harry Potter books? Will Santorum face hell for reading these books?[/QUOTE]

Well, LotR was written by a very religious man and has as a theme the fight between good and evil. I doubt many Christians are offended by it.

bread's done
Back