Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ni ggyTardust! *album results*

Sporadic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
53 (100%)
Go to http://www.saulwilliams.com to download it for free and if you enjoy, pay the 5 bucks.

--------------

Amazing news.

Help out real hip-hop and the new revolution in music by paying $5 for non-DRM 192kbps MP3, 320kbps MP3 or FLAC (your choice). Of course you could download it for free if you want but show your support.

[quote name=' What you are getting']You will first be asked to enter your e-mail address. This is where you will receive the download link when the album becomes available on November 1.

If you choose to pay for the record, your download will be available in the following formats:
192Kbps MP3
320Kbps MP3
FLAC lossless audio

If you choose not to pay for the record, you will receive it in 192Kbps MP3 format.

All versions include a PDF with artwork and lyrics

All files are 100% DRM free, and can be played on any device. MP3s are encoded with LAME v3.97 and love.[/QUOTE]

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of N iggyTardust! is the lovechild of me and Trent Reznor. I met Trent when he asked me to fill the opening slot of his European With Teeth tour. After only the 2nd show he asked if I might be down to collaborate on a song or album, whatever I saw fit. At the time we were both listening to the Kanye/Jon Brion collaborations and feeling like a cocktail of our two worlds would fare even more interesting…and harder. Since then, Trent Reznor has become the big brother I never had, offering his insight, expertise, and shared desire to fuck up the system while believing fully in the power of music and the intelligence of the masses. What we both first realized we had in common was a deep love of Public Enemy and their Bomb Squad production, which personally served as the backdrop of my adolescence and fueled the fire that matured my vision of the sort of artist I wanted to be. A lot of people get caught up on my lyrics and poetry, but my writing is always founded on beats and polyrhythmic backdrops. My background as a dancer (I used to dance for a rap group in ATL in the early 90s) has always made me crave hard rhythms. Through Public Enemy I discovered that my ability to dance somehow improved when I truly felt the power of the words. This album captures everything I have aimed for in a song. Of course, as a performer, what truly inspires me is the opportunity to perform them live. The Ni ggytardust concept sets me free to do more on stage with costume, etc. than one might expect from a regular Saul Williams show. It allows me to put my theatre training to use. I’ve also thought long and hard about all the discussion surrounding racial epithets etc. and chose this title as a means of furthering the dialogue while also showing how creativity will outlive and outshine hatred of any kind.

The album would not have been possible without the collaborative spirit Trent and the other artists involved: CX Kidtronik and Thavius Beck brought beats and fire to the vision, energizing the process with blown amps and head-nodding cramps. Atticus Ross engineered and programmed. Alan Moulder is sonic testimony from headphone to full blown that the very rocks will cry out if you work with the right engineer.

I’m also collaborating with visual artists and designers as part of the whole N iggyTardust concept and presentation. Melody Ehsani designed Tardust jewelry, bracelets, rings. necklaces, etc. and also did the cover layout. Angelbert Metoyer has contributed greatly to the visual aesthetic with paintings and soon to be finished set design for the shows.

As far as the way we’ve decided to release the album, we’re aware that it’s pretty risky, but are even more aware that we cant turn to the so-called powers that be of the industry for answers. Someone has got to be willing to take chances. I was very inspired by the recent Radiohead release and felt compelled, almost instantly, to follow my gut and expand on their concept. Obviously, independent artists have been around for years. My indie film, Slam was in fact what opened so many doors for me. yet, the stigma of being an indie artist in the music world hasn’t always been rewarding. This time I feel different. I feel like the times have conspired to make this album an important part of history.

Saul Williams

THE INEVITABLE RISE AND LIBERATION OF N IGGYTARDUST!

01) Black History Month
02) Convict Colony
03) Tr(n)igger
04) Sunday Bloody Sunday
05) Break
06) $$$$yTardust
07) DNA
08) WTF!
09) Scared Money
10) Raw
11) Skin of a Drum
12) No One Ever Does
13) Banged and Blown Through
14) Raised to be Lowered
15) The Ritual

Written and performed by Saul Williams
with Trent Reznor, CX Kidtronik, Thavius Beck and more.

Produced by Trent Reznor
Mixed By Alan Moulder
Mastered by Brian "Big Bass" Gardner
Engineering / programming: Atticus Ross

My Dearest Friends and Fans,

It is my greatest honor to present to you The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ni ggyTardust!,
my new album produced by Trent Reznor and mixed by Alan Moulder. The wall of sound that we've created is tagged with such graffiti that a passerby would seek out doors and ways to ENTER. Once inside a world defined by dreams come true they'd find aligned with the simplest act of sharing what we treasure. Most people aren't aware of the world of art and commerce where exploitation strips each artist down to ni gger. Each label, like apartheid, multiplies us by our divide and whips us 'til we conform to lesser figures. What falls between the cracks is a pile of records stacked to the heights of talents hidden from the sun. Yet the energy they put into popularizing smut makes a star of a shiny polished gun. The ballot or the bullet for Mohawk or the mullet is a choice between new times and dying days. And the only way to choose is to jump ship from old truths and trust dolphins as we swim through changing ways. The ways of middlemen proves to be just a passing trend. We need no priests to talk to God. No phone to call her. And when you click the link below, i think it fair that you should know that your purchase will make middlemen much poorer...

N iggyTardust!

love,

Saul

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Thanks for the news![/QUOTE]

No problem.

I've been waiting for his new album ever since I heard it was in the works and already preordered my FLAC copy.

My Dearest Friends and Fans,

It is my greatest honor to present to you The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!,
my new album produced by Trent Reznor and mixed by Alan Moulder. The wall of sound that we've created is tagged with such graffiti that a passerby would seek out doors and ways to ENTER. Once inside a world defined by dreams come true they'd find aligned with the simplest act of sharing what we treasure. Most people aren't aware of the world of art and commerce where exploitation strips each artist down to nigger. Each label, like apartheid, multiplies us by our divide and whips us 'til we conform to lesser figures. What falls between the cracks is a pile of records stacked to the heights of talents hidden from the sun. Yet the energy they put into popularizing smut makes a star of a shiny polished gun. The ballot or the bullet for Mohawk or the mullet is a choice between new times and dying days. And the only way to choose is to jump ship from old truths and trust dolphins as we swim through changing ways. The ways of middlemen proves to be just a passing trend. We need no priests to talk to God. No phone to call her. And when you click the link below, i think it fair that you should know that your purchase will make middlemen much poorer...

NiggyTardust!

love,

Saul

I'm behind this guy. Ordering when I get home, thanks for the news.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Niggy Tardust. Wow.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, it's a concept album which I imagine is spun off from his book The Dead Emcee Scrolls. The name would fit that character very well.

[quote name='Ultimate Matt X']Track 5 - Break has leaked on Pirate Bay. I think Reznor is who put it up. Definitely makes me look forward to the rest of the album more.[/QUOTE]

May have been Saul, Trent used seed0 last time.

- edit It's 320kbps LAME 3.97 MP3 so it's an offical leak.

- edit 2 Damn, it's really good too. Very different from his past work although it's very Amethyst Rock Star instead of his self titled and the music really reminds me of something from The Fragile era of Nine Inch Nails.

Pre-ordered, for the paid version. I'm getting FLAC lossless. I loved Amethyst and his self-titled (liked Amethyst more).

I really liked the way he announced it through his email list.

[quote name='"Saul Williams"']This morning I woke up invigorated and charged with the sort of energy that might only come to someone waking up in a city surrounded by fire. I felt alive and every instrument ever whistled by the wind surged symphonically through me. I knew that today, whether by nature or by will, I would be forced to reckon with what water could not quench. The fire that burns in me is labeled poetry and music. Men in uniform have tried to put it out. But every now and then, I blaze through hearts at nature’s whim…

how clouds of ash
so easily shade
gray clouds of doubt

I’ve decided to put my record out.[/quote]

pretty much the worst title I've seen for anything ever, but I might check this out. Thanks.

Niggy... umm... Niggy Tardust? Really? Wow. Kudos to them for following Radiohead's lead, though. I'm interested to hear it, and I'm interested to see how many other artists jump on board this method of distribution.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']spam[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just signed up today to tell you about this and have no other post here! I'm so glad Saul pays in cash :bouncy:

[quote name='evilmregg']Niggy... umm... Niggy Tardust? Really? Wow. Kudos to them for following Radiohead's lead, though. I'm interested to hear it, and I'm interested to see how many other artists jump on board this method of distribution.[/quote]

You guys need to learn your rock and roll history. Its a play on word off what is arguably David Bowie's most famous (and best) album "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Startdust." More or less, its a concept ablum about a glam rockstar. Think about it, the title makes perfect sense.

TR was talking about it today on the Spiral (his fanclub/blog)

10/27/07 : Standing in the shower, thinking...

What I woke up thinking about today.
What I WANT to do is crawl inside my own head and just make music. I've begun work on a new NIN project and the door to the cave I will soon crawl in is open and beckoning, but these last few weeks I've had to be a businessman. On occasion I don't mind wearing that hat and becoming immersed in numbers and strategies and whatnot, but all I really want to do is make music.
Why have I been in business-mode lately? Glad you asked. See, the music business has imploded and nobody knows what to do. As an artist finally free from any obligations to a record company, I can do pretty much anything I want to - but what should that be?

How do you (in this order):
A. Be sure to place and keep yourself in a nurturing, creative space that inspires your art
B. Then determine how to present that to your audience in an appropriate fashion that's respectful to both you the artist AND them.
C. Ideally do that in a way where it makes financial sense.

I highly doubt whether the strategy Saul and I chose to release his new record will be a viable business model for the road ahead. We didn't do this as a "get rich quick" scheme. We did it because it felt (and feels) like the best way to get the most people to have the opportunity to hear what we consider to be an important record. It feels like the best approach as of October 2007 with the current set of circumstances in the "marketplace" (I hate that fucking word.) We did it because it kept the art PURE and it involved NO compromises regarding the content or the way it was presented to you. No iPod commercials, no ringtone giveaways, no billboards, no Best Buy exclusive content... and one could argue no exposure.
That's the problem. How do you get the word out to as many people as possible and maintain your integrity in the process?
We assumed that by releasing the record this way it would generate some press interest, and it has. We hope that people will be curious enough to download and listen to the record, and yes - we hope people will choose to pay for it.
I have to say I've been amazed at some lengthy conversations I've seen on fan BBs regarding the decision to pay or not. People who are interested enough to register and frequent boards dedicated to an artist's work really having to weigh out whether or not it's worth $5 for an hour of new music. Has music really and truly been devalued that much? $80 is a decision, $5 is not.

All of that aside, our secret weapon is the record itself. It is what it is and that's what people will be talking about long after the story of the business around it fades away.
Speaking of business... I'm done speaking (or thinking) about it for the day. I'm going to make some noise.

Good day,
TR

[quote name='permablue']You guys need to learn your rock and roll history. Its a play on word off what is arguably David Bowie's most famous (and best) album "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Startdust." More or less, its a concept ablum about a glam rockstar. Think about it, the title makes perfect sense.[/quote]

It's amazing that someone failed to see the Bowie connection. And I agree with you, "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars", is Bowies best album, but not as famous as his later work. "Let's Dance" was his biggest success comercially, selling around 8 million copies.

The second song as leaked off of the new album from TR himself.

03) Tr(n)igger

iYou can find it on ThePirateBay

I was surprised to see Public Enemy make an appearance, pretty goddamn cool. Is that from a older album or is that from when TR saw Public Enemy in China?

Not as good a Break but still a fantastic song and it confirms that I'm going to buy the album at least one more time.

-----------

Here are the lyrics for the two songs that leaked so far.

Tr(n)igger

So you don't like the way we're running things? And you don't like the way the chisel glang? You want to blame it on the government on why you got no money for your rent? You want to start a revolution? And blame it on the institutions? You know there's only one solution. So tell me what you're gonna do son?

The trigger is you. The nigger is you. (2x) So what you gonna do?

You wanna blame them boys in Lebanon and act like you don't know where they get it from? You wanna project all your problems and murder every hope to solve them? Would Jesus Christ come back American? What if he's Iraqi and here again? You'd have to finally face your fears, my friend? Who's gonna hold your hand when that happens?

What do u teach your children about me? What do you teach your little children about me? Pimp, thug, bling, drug, Lord of the Undergrounded Kings. How can you be so sure I won't call down the rain?

Break

And when my fears arise I blow them out.
Death creeps through the streets over programmed beats. A rabid dog in heat on a dead end street. Oil slicks, the only rainbows that canvas gray concrete. Shadows of skyscrapers fall when Mohammed speaks. Corpses piled in heaps. Sores and decay, reeks. Placing tags on feet. A Nike Air Force Fleet. Custom made. Unique. Still in box. White sheet. Ripened blue, black, sweet. White tank top, wife beat...

Hearts in two-step beat...Break. Dance pray work whip… Break. Neck jump back kiss…; Break. Ashes, dust, kill, crush…; Break.

Consider yourself: less than, inferior to, half man, superior to woman, unbearable likeness. Consider yourself: almost, never quite, dark-skinned, lily white, black as sin, devils den, whiteness. Consider yourself: outcast, criminal, unseen, invisible, point blank, ready cocked trigger. Consider yourself: Hardcore, dirt poor, hustler, BCH, whore, reverend, doctor. Nigger.

Hearts in two-step beat...Break. Dance pray work whip…; Break. Neck jump back kiss&…; Break. Ashes, dust, kill, crush…; Break. Build up, pimp strut, slap&…;Break. Cotton, corn, crop, wheat…;Break. Dance, whip, work, pray&…;Break. Neck, jump, back, kiss…;Break.

Let it out. Blow it out. Spit it out. Get it out. Beat. Beatings. Beats. Beasts. Get it out. By the horns and get it out. Cough it up and spit it out. Get it out. Break the cycle, break the chain, break the hurt and break the pain. All my doubts and all my fears, break the spell that keeps me here. Break the cycle, break the chain, break the whip and break the pain. Get it out. Spit it out. Break. Break. Break. Break.

Fantastic, its another black rapper, naming himself so botched version of some white person hate slang from over a 100 years ago.

Wait for my CD, "Cracker McStiff" a can't dance revolution.

Whatever, I dont have to listen to his rhymes, he proves he's ignorant before you even get there. If I have to hear some more black raps about being oppressed by the white man,... I'd have to kill myself.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Fantastic, its another black rapper, naming himself so botched version of some white person hate slang from over a 100 years ago.

Wait for my CD, "Cracker McStiff" a can't dance revolution.

Whatever, I dont have to listen to his rhymes, he proves he's ignorant before you even get there. If I have to hear some more black raps about being oppressed by the white man,... I'd have to kill myself.[/QUOTE]

Jesus, you just love talking out of your ass don't you?

[quote name='Sporadic']Jesus, you just love talking out of your ass don't you?[/quote]

At least I'm not putting the word nigger in my songs and acting like it still means anything by now. It's not scary, its not cred, its not street.... its fucking old.

Just another black rapper, singing about how bad whitey is, all while killing people and buying new shoes.

If I was black I'd be offended more than anything. This guy is the ultimate stereotype.

I think its time for a synopsis:

So you don't like the way we're running things? And you don't like the way the chisel glang? (How exactly does the "Chisel Glang" Mr. Tardust? Have you ever held one?) You want to blame it on the government on why you got no money for your rent? You want to start a revolution? And blame it on the institutions? You know there's only one solution. So tell me what you're gonna do son? (Buy a pair of bitchin sweet Nikes, duh! Read below!)

The trigger is you. The nigger is you. (2x) So what you gonna do? (I think I'm gonna, shoop, shoop bey-oop shoop bey-oop bey-oop bey-oop)

You wanna blame them boys in Lebanon (And these boys have what to do with the hood?, and why you have no money for rent? Or is this unrelated to the first verse?) and act like you don't know where they get it from? (Get what? From where?) You wanna project all your problems and murder every hope to solve them? Would Jesus Christ come back American? (Would Jesus even come back ANY nationality? What the hell?) What if he's Iraqi and here again? You'd have to finally face your fears, my friend? Who's gonna hold your hand when that happens? (I guess I would have to pray to God for the strength to kill Jesus)

The trigger is you. The nigger is you. (2x) So what you gonna do? (I got a pocket full of condoms and my homeboys do too...)

What do u teach your children about me? What do you teach your little children about me? (What is there to teach? You preach fear to make a dollar..) Pimp, thug, bling, drug, Lord of the Undergrounded Kings. How can you be so sure I won't call down the rain? (Because you dont know the latest Rain dance?)

The trigger is you. The nigger is you. (2x) So what you gonna do? (GHOSTBUSTERS!)

Break

And when my fears arise I blow them out. (Not all you blow, but please proceed with your wack rhymes)
Death creeps through the streets over programmed beats. A rabid dog in heat on a dead end street. Oil slicks, the only rainbows that canvas gray concrete. Shadows of skyscrapers fall when Mohammed speaks. Corpses piled in heaps. Sores and decay, reeks. Placing tags on feet. A Nike Air Force Fleet. (Sweet kicks) Custom made. Unique. Still in box. (Then sell it on eBay its worth 2x!) White sheet. Ripened blue, black, sweet. (Blueberry or Blackberry?) White tank top, wife beat... (Other words that rhyme with "Beat" - 1 syllable:
beet, breit, cheat, cleat, cliett, crete, eat, feat, feet, fleet, freet, greet, grete, heat, keitt, kriete, leet, leete, leite, meat, meet, mete, neat, neet, peat, peet, peete, pete, piette, pleat, prete, quiett, seat, sheet, skeat, skeet, skeete, sleet, st, street, streett, suite, sweatt, sweet, swete, teat, teet, threatt, threet, thweatt, treat, tveit, tweet, veit, vliet, wheat )

Hearts in two-step beat...Break. Dance pray work whip… Break. Neck jump back kiss…; Break. Ashes, dust, kill, crush…; Break.

Consider yourself: less than, inferior to, half man, superior to woman, unbearable likeness. (Everybody Move!)Consider yourself: almost, never quite, dark-skinned, lily white, black as sin, devils den, whiteness. (Everybody Move!)Consider yourself: outcast, criminal, unseen, invisible, point blank, ready cocked trigger. (Everybody Move!)Consider yourself: Hardcore, dirt poor, hustler, BCH, whore, reverend, doctor. nigger. (Anyone else see the similarities to "Two Words" right here? )

Hearts in two-step beat...Break. Dance pray work whip…; Break. Neck jump back kiss&…; Break. Ashes, dust, kill, crush…; Break. Build up, pimp strut, slap&…;Break. Cotton, corn, crop, wheat…;Break. Dance, whip, work, pray&…;Break. Neck, jump, back, kiss…;Break. (I would assume that he's recalling his slave days here?)

Let it out. Blow it out. Spit it out. Get it out. Beat. Beatings. Beats. Beasts. Get it out. By the horns and get it out. Cough it up and spit it out. Get it out. (Then you pout, eat a trout, smoke all day and let it out, I'm devout, 3 count bout, beat off all day and let it out) Break the cycle, break the chain, break the hurt and break the pain. All my doubts and all my fears, break the spell that keeps me here. Break the cycle, break the chain, break the whip and break the pain. Get it out. Spit it out. Break. Break. Break. Break. (B-B-B-Break out the linolium nucca!)

[quote name='Mookyjooky']At least I'm not putting the word nigger in my songs and acting like it still means anything by now. It's not scary, its not cred, its not street.... its fucking old.

Just another black rapper, singing about how bad whitey is, all while killing people and buying new shoes.

If I was black I'd be offended more than anything. This guy is the ultimate stereotype.

I think its time for a synopsis:
[/QUOTE]

you're either an idiot or a troll

which one is it so i know if i'm wasting my time with my next post

[quote name='Mookyjooky']
Whatever, I dont have to listen to his rhymes, he proves he's ignorant before you even get there. [/QUOTE]

You're right, you don't, but don't spout off about something you haven't given a chance.

[quote name='Sporadic']you're either an idiot or a troll

which one is it so i know if i'm wasting my time with my next post[/quote]

he's ignorant

and don't say you'd be offended by the N-word if you were black...because you DONT know how you would feel if you were black and that word was used

[quote name='becuzimbrown']he's ignorant

and don't say you'd be offended by the N-word if you were black...because you DONT know how you would feel if you were black and that word was used[/quote]

I'm talking about be offended by that word, at this point, black people have given it zero meaning anyways.

I'm talking more about how rediculous this guy is. Thats all. If I were black, I would be offended by this retard, and his wack ass rhymes. Nothing more.

He's a stereotype... and everytime a black person tries to contest that stereotype, one of these retards comes in and sets the whole thing back 20 years.

I mean seriously, how can black people look at this with a straight face? Is he cool because he uses the N-word? or because he talks about his days in slavery? Or because he's violent for now reason in his fictisious rhymes?

These rappers with these terrible "Thug Savior" gimmicks are just terrible. 50 Cent got his name from a REAL gangsta in Fort Greene, not because he was the real 50 cent. He just got shot up for being some retard selling crack. He wasnt high up, he was just at the bottom. REAL gangstas, arent usually in a position to get shot up in a drive by.

I dunno, I guess I dont get it... I'm not trying to be racist, so please dont misunderstand... I just dont understand how black people can idolize and purchase this ridiculous lie. This is about as fictious as someone dressing up as Master Chief and singing about killing aliens... REAL gangstas, are too busy to have a side hobby.

Real change comes from within, within the Govt., within the police force... not some ass selling CDs. If you want to idolize someone, idolize a person with a real job at least. Entertainers, they entertain by blurring the lines between reality and fantasy.

Jeez, I could go on all day, but you've probably stopped reading by now. Disreguard my statements, and please purchase this CD.

[quote name='senorwoohoo']Mooky, I'm just curious as to whom you don't think is a stereotype in the hip-hop world.[/quote]

Common
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
A Tribe Called Quest
Kanye West
Nas (Early stuff, not so much now. Illmatic was fantastic)
Goodie Mob (For the most part)
Big Daddy Kane

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Common
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
A Tribe Called Quest
Kanye West
Nas (Early stuff, not so much now. Illmatic was fantastic)
Goodie Mob (For the most part)
Big Daddy Kane[/QUOTE]

I can kind of see where you're coming from then, although Common has made it clear in certain rhymes how he doesn't really like white people. :lol:/:cry:

If you really want to listen to propaganda rap... at least listen to something like "Mr. Lif"

Check out this:

Mr. Lif, "Arise"
Here's a vision
Imagine a whole globe made with precision
Continents of brown soil with green grass
That compliments deep seas and trees with multi-colored leaves
Mountain ranges that survive through the ages
Plus show expressions of time on rock faces
Now gaze up towards the glorious sky
Only appreciated by a powerful eye
As I understand, man is to cherish the land
As we coexist hand in hand
But as time has past
Man has created a vast
Mass of trash that has the capability to smash
Your natural desire to explore your state of being and
Discover you fire
For instance when a child is born
It posseses no intelligence of hate or scorn
But as it learns of hard ways
It becomes tuned from its original nature
As we destroy nature in the name of cash
All justified by laws made by the legislature
You never say *rekcufrehtom* cause that claim they aims to
Seek justice but ain't it a shame
That that isn't the case yo we all are so tame
That we're all fair game
Thats why they got our name
Address social security number
Even though where you bought your last rest
Or mattress have you saying
"Oh that's just the way things are"
Then I explain that you're so far from your core
You need to explore
I wake up in the morning in war and saw
And go look for more
Weapons being prepared for nuclear war
And then when I found some no this is to god, hit
The ground son
With strong winds to make the clouds run
Step up in the laboratory
Keep it mandatory
Their response: Inflammatory
Now their dome's all puffed up
Cause they *kcuffed* up
Give me the data chips
I'll reverse gravity
So mad they'll flip
Show these *kcuffer's* the light
The adequate side of the scene, natty dips
Mankind should feel the effects
As he rips through the environment
Mash up the Earth's power as if
It were required
The whole things blowin a cold heart
Stand as he asks where the fire went
Trapped in an Ice age and while you're defrostin'
I kick open the door and let some Holocaust in
Then I remain sober in the galaxy
Take the form of the sun
So I can shine emphatically
Then I shed light on the tragedy
Step aside just to make way for remorse and apathy
Then I perform something you can all see
As I change the climate from cold to balmy
As temperatures rise
I squeeze acid water out of the skies
To burn out your eyes
Cause you could never see what I devise
And get your five lives and nine tries
But usually nobody survives cause I
Elevated far above and beyond
So you could be bombed, crushed to dust
You can be harmed
You can be armed with shanks and tanks
Bayonettes, Missile Threats
Yet I still launch lyrical text
That gets so intense
It could disassemble all of those other meds
So you should fear what the god invents
Since I was sent under the name of Lif
Which means to upLif
It's my never ending duty to attempt to shift your mind
From one train of thought to a more positive state
So then in turn you can create
Control your own fate
Rather than having those with wealth dominate and complicate
Living to the point where we're all imprisoned
People we should all pick our minds Its's Time!
Look at how the world is designed
It's major
We should all walk out of our manger
And start to educate the nearest stranger
Ignorance has no remainder
I manifest, prophesize visions of danger
With seven lines I show you seven signs
Time's of the essence
Choose before you lose your physical presence
Perpetuate wickedness or walk along the path of god
The force from which we were all created
Stand amongst prosperity
Or fall devestated
Another victim of hatred
In a land where nothing is sacred
Except for these thoughts that I share
With no fear - to make you all aware of the nightmare
I see you puttin in a little work but we're not quite there
Climb out of your darkness, the light is quite clear
We're still to concerned with jewels and hype gear
But I'ma drop my thoughts until you open your eyes...Arise
It doesn't matter what your color creed race or size...Arise

All that, and he didn't have to say the N-word.

Or thinking of this, you want to hear some music that makes me wish I was black... Listen to some Ben Harper... He makes it sound like black people come from greatness and in the face of hard times they work together to make it better. Not bitching about how they cant afford rent, but can afford a pair of Nikes. That doesnt even make sense.

Ben Harper - "I'll Rise"

You may write me down in history
With your bitter twisted lies
You may trod me down in the very dirt
And still like the dust Ill rise
Does my happiness upset you
Why are you best with gloom
Cause I laugh like Ive got an oil well
Pumpin in my living room

So you may shoot me with your words
You may cut me with your eyes
And Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Out of the shacks of historys shame
Up from a past rooted in pain
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise

Now did you want to see me broken
Bowed head and lowered eyes
Shoulders fallen down like tear drops
Weakened by my soulful cries

Does my confidence upset you
Dont you take it awful hard
Cause I walk like Ive got a diamond mine
Breakin up in my front yard

And Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise

So you may write me down in history
With your bitter twisted lies
You may trod me down in the very dirt
And still like the dust Ill rise
Does my happiness upset you
Why are you best with gloom
Cause I laugh like Ive got a goldmine
Diggin up in my living room

And Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise
Ill rise

[quote name='senorwoohoo']I can kind of see where you're coming from then, although Common has made it clear in certain rhymes how he doesn't really like white people. :lol:/:cry:

[quote name='Mookyjooky']So has Kanye, but I let them slide because they at least address the problems of the black community, than perpetuating the issue for a buck.

And songs like "Family Business" are just amazing.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention 'Ye because I don't like to place him amongst the other guys you listed.

But yes, that song and some of his others are really good.

[quote name='Shmitty']i feel like i should buy it just to support this kind of release.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I loves me some NIN, but I don't really see the appeal of hip-hop...but I've got to put up my $5 for something like this.

The song Trent did with El-P was decent, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

[quote name='bmachine']My thoughts exactly. I loves me some NIN, but I don't really see the appeal of hip-hop...but I've got to put up my $5 for something like this.

The song Trent did with El-P was decent, so I'm cautiously optimistic.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the El-P track. I think it could have been done better by both sides. Still a good one, but a little lacking.

[quote name='coalhalo']It's amazing that someone failed to see the Bowie connection. And I agree with you, "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars", is Bowies best album, but not as famous as his later work. "Let's Dance" was his biggest success comercially, selling around 8 million copies.[/quote]

Bear in mind that, for the most part, you're addressing a generation that thinks "The Man Who Sold the World" is a Nirvana song.

[quote name='bmachine']Bear in mind that, for the most part, you're addressing a generation that thinks "The Man Who Sold the World" is a Nirvana song.[/QUOTE]

At least us Nirvana fans will always have "Lake of Fire" to fall back on!

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'm talking about be offended by that word, at this point, black people have given it zero meaning anyways.

I'm talking more about how rediculous this guy is. Thats all. If I were black, I would be offended by this retard, and his wack ass rhymes. Nothing more.

He's a stereotype... and everytime a black person tries to contest that stereotype, one of these retards comes in and sets the whole thing back 20 years.

I mean seriously, how can black people look at this with a straight face? Is he cool because he uses the N-word? or because he talks about his days in slavery? Or because he's violent for now reason in his fictisious rhymes?

These rappers with these terrible "Thug Savior" gimmicks are just terrible. 50 Cent got his name from a REAL gangsta in Fort Greene, not because he was the real 50 cent. He just got shot up for being some retard selling crack. He wasnt high up, he was just at the bottom. REAL gangstas, arent usually in a position to get shot up in a drive by.

I dunno, I guess I dont get it... I'm not trying to be racist, so please dont misunderstand... I just dont understand how black people can idolize and purchase this ridiculous lie. This is about as fictious as someone dressing up as Master Chief and singing about killing aliens... REAL gangstas, are too busy to have a side hobby.

Real change comes from within, within the Govt., within the police force... not some ass selling CDs. If you want to idolize someone, idolize a person with a real job at least. Entertainers, they entertain by blurring the lines between reality and fantasy.

Jeez, I could go on all day, but you've probably stopped reading by now. Disreguard my statements, and please purchase this CD.[/QUOTE]

QUICK! GO READ A COPY OF "THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO" WHILE THERE'S A CHANCE OF SAVING YOUR SOUL!

Really, singling out commercial rap for its uselessness is pretty silly. It just not your demographic, so it's far easier for you to see how advertising and marketing is manipulating people into believing they're doing somthing/being somebody when all they are doing is being a passive consumer. Last I checked, all Americans are alike in that regard.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']I'm talking about be offended by that word, at this point, black people have given it zero meaning anyways.

Jeez, I could go on all day, but you've probably stopped reading by now. Disreguard my statements, and please purchase this CD.[/QUOTE]

It's called a concept album, he's lampooning the current state of hip-hop.

Saul Williams was raised in Newburgh, New York by two loving parents (minster and teacher). He has a B.A. in philosophy from Morehouse College and a Master's Degree from New York University in acting. He's a well-known name on the slam poetry scene, has 4 books of poetry published and has acted in a few movies.

The reason I call you an idiot is because you clearly have never listened to his lyrics (besides hurdur'ing it up at the two leaked songs that gone completely over your head) and seem to have plugged your ears because he decided to use the word nigger.

Let's go back in time and look at Saul's earlier work, shall we?

true they captured and caught us,
transported, sold us, and bought us. they
constituted and lawed us, distorted truths
that they taught us. we rebelled, then
fought us. we conformed, then
they formed us. Now these niggas rhyming
'bout material possessions. My adidas are
three years old, like my daughter, niggas
rhyme 'bout alize and need to rhyme about
water. but out of chaos comes order
out of chaos comes order out of chaos comes
order....Fake niggas run for the border

Yup, that sure sounds like somebody who is only "killing people while buying shoes"

How about his second album?

Ain't from the streets of Compton. Ain't from no prison yard. Ain't got no guns or weapons. Hell, nigga, I ain't hard. I'd rather help than fight you. I'd rather hug than swing. I know where diamonds come from and ain't about to bling. Ain't got no fancy car. I can't afford my rent. Ain't even got my own style. Sometimes I'm 50 Cent. But I ain't got no bullets. And I ain't bullet proof. And you can take your aim, but you can't kill the truth. Ay, yo, untie that noose. Son, we ain't free, we're loose. I'm sleeping on the floor above your party's burning roof. And when that party's through, here's what you need to do. Just hold that mic right to your heart and hear the beat of you. I got a heart beat produced by God, and, boy, it sounds hard. I got heart beat produced by God, and, boy, it sounds hard.

Now I wasn’t raised at gunpoint
and I’ve read too many books
to distract me from the mirror
when unhappy with my looks
and I ain’t got proper diction
for the makings of a thug
though I grew up in the ghetto
and my niggers all sold drugs,
and though that may validate me
for a spot on MTV
and give me all the airplay
that my bank account would need,
I was hoping to invest in
a lesson that I learned
I thought this fool had jumped me
just because it was my turn.
I went to an open space
because I knew he wouldn’t do it
if somebody there could see him
or somebody else might prove it,
and maybe in your eyes
it may seem I got punked out
because I walked in their own path
and then went and changed my route.
But that open-ness exposed me
to a truth I couldn’t find
in the clenched fists of my ego
or the confines of my mind
or the hip-ness of my swagger,
or the swagger of my step,
the scowl of my grimace,
or the mean-ness of my rap.
Because we represent a truth son,
that changes by the hour,
and when you open to it,
for nobility is power,
in that shifting form you’ll find a truth that doesn’t change
and that truth is living proof of the fact that God is strange…

Talk to strangers
when the family fails and friends led you astray
and Buddah laughs and Jesus weeps and turns out God is gay.
As angels in disguise love can come in many forms,
the hallways of your projects or the fat girl in your dorm,
and when you finally take the time to see what they’re about
perhaps you find they’re lonely or their wisdom trips you out.

Maybe you’ll find the cycles end
right back where you began,
but come this time around
you’ll have someone to hold your hand,
who prays for you who is there for you
who sends you love and light,
exposes you to parts of you
that you once tried to fight.
And come this time around
you choose to walk a different path,
you’ll embrace what you turned away
and cry at what you laughed,
because that’s the only way
we’re going to make it through this storm,
where ignorance is common sense
and senseless is the norm.
Infact we’re high above the truth
and that you never touch,
and stolen goods are overpriced
and freedom costs too much,
and no-one seems to recognise
the symbols come to life,
the bitten apple on the screen
and Jesus had a wife,
and she was his Messiah
like that stranger may be yours,
who holds a subtle knife
that carves through worlds
like magic doors,
and that’s what I’ve been looking for,
the bridge from then to now,
just watching B.E.T like what the fuck son,
this is foul
But that’s where [Boston?] represents
this fear that we live in,
the world is not a flat screen
I ain’t trying to fit in.
But this ain’t for the underground
this here is for the sun.
A seed a stranger gave to me
and planted on my tongue.
And when I look at you,
I know I’m not the only one.
As a great man once said,
there’s nothing more powerful
than an idea
who’s time
has come

So again, stop talking out of your ass.

And it's out....hands down album of the year for me. It's just amazing in every way.

Oh and for Mookey

NiggyTardust: Grippo King, philosopher, and artist. Downright to the marrow, he’s the arrow through the heartless. Sunlight in the afternoon, his shadow travels furthest. Woven through the heart of doom, he’s bursting through the surface. Hardly nervous, suffice to say, he understands his purpose: Threshold King of everything, a comical absurdist. Sometimes when he talks he sings, yet keeps his high notes wordless. Sing along when Niggy sings. Without you he’d be worthless, homeless, Earth-less. Venus Hottentot, up in the circus. Freak Show! Here him speak so properly, ‘cause every word is measured against meaning. Probably scheming to unlearn us. Don’t you call him by his name! White people call him ‘Curtis’.

When I say Niggy, you say nuthin. Niggy. Niggy.
When I say Niggy, you say nuthin. Niggy. “Nuthin”. Shut up.

“Put your mama on the phone”. You can’t say that, girl, Niggy’s grown. What your daddy gonna do? He can’t deny what he knows true. What the preacher gonna say? Preacher can’t shit, girl, the preacher’s gay. What your granny gonna do? She can’t deny the truth. Hey! NiggyTardust, here to stay! Paint him on your lunchbox or your thermos, for a fee. You might win the chance to hang with Niggy for a day! Side effects may include simply doing what you say. Hey! NiggyTardust, no guitar. Ghetto Gothic millionaire. A super-duper star! Side effects may include simply being who you are. you are yourself, my darling dear, and where never a niggar.

When I say Niggy, you say nuthin. Niggy. Niggy.
When I say Niggy, you say nuthin. Niggy. “Nuthin”. Shut up.

So what y’all NGH’s wanna do? I’m standing at the Pearly Gates so you can run and get your crew. I’m knockin once then I’m bustin’ through, with some gold Diadoras and a shirt that reads, “Do unto who?”. What y’all NGHs wanna do? Elevate the race or love these other MTHRFCKR’s too? The choice is yours, which means it’s up to you. But how can I love myself if I can’t love you?

NiggyTardust…

To manifest your dreams before you manifest your fears. To navigate beyond the treachery of self despair. To find the balance between all you sense and all you see. To find the patience and the strength it takes to let it be. To stand amongst the crowd and have the strength to hold your own. To throw away the pen and pad and simply be the poem. To rise above hatred to love through seeming contradiction. To seldom take a side
and learn to compliment the friction. To bring about the change within that we can’t live
without. To shift and re-arrange ideals and learn to deal with doubt. To voice the victory
and unlearn ways of self-defeat. To learn the value of, “yo, fuck the words just ride the beat”. To leave the comfort zones of all you know to all you feel. To step beyond the void
and realize the unknown is real. To re-imagine every obstacle as just means of honing craft and learn to laugh at failures funny dream.

There has to be some other way to stop the fight. I was raised to be lowered. Was I raised to be lowered? Each day we sing and pray for guidance through the night. I was raised to be lowered. Was I raised to be lowered?

To not allow the worshippers to take up all the space. To dance at funerals and grieve when true love shows its face. To meditate upon the lesser things like hair and nails. To find new meaning in your freedom when your freedom kills. To walk the runway on the one day when you’ve lost your stride. To show your face when you feel more inclined
to run and hide. To keep it gutter when you utter. No, it won’t stop until the ones that point their guns at NGHs get got! YOU’RE GONNA GET GOT! You let them NGHs get got. You’re gonna get got. Get popped. Get Cocked. You let them NGHs get got. Let them NGHs get got!

There has to be some other way to stop the fight. I was raised to be lowered. Was I raised to be lowered? Each day we sing and pray for guidance through the night. I was raised to be lowered. Was I raised to be lowered?
Hallelujah, all these other suckas make me sick. Inshallah we’ve come this far. The past can suck my dick. Blessed be the virgin, especially if she’s nice and thick. May your first time be full of grace, respect, and not a trick. First communion. Sacred as the day you were conceived. Born in sin? Nah, think again. Repent and disbelieve. Heaven is between your thighs. There lies the trick. Deceived. Holy blood shed once a month until you nurture seed.

Was I raised to be lowered?

[quote name='fart_bubble']still haven't gotten an email today on the album[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me with the FLAC version. Either try again with the 192MP3 for free (and email customer service about what you bought) or go the illegal route like I did until customer service emails you back.

I went with option 2 and downloaded the 320 version to hold me over.

bread's done
Back