Savage 2 $9.99 on Steam starting Friday Aug 1

Wow, nice deal. I've been keeping an eye on this game but didn't feel like spending too much for it, and $10 sounds about perfect (especially since it's through Steam). Should be a fun game to play with people you know.

Is this that FPS/RTS hybrid, where like one person is sort of managing it as an RTS and the other people are sort of playing like an action game? It's a really cool concept if that's the game I'm thinking of, can't remember what score PC Gamer gave it though.

Yes this is the FPS/RTS Hybrid. The first game was a good time. They added a lot of great content after release too. If the first game is any indication... $10 is a definitely the sweet spot. (I haven't tried this sequel yet...)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is this that FPS/RTS hybrid, where like one person is sort of managing it as an RTS and the other people are sort of playing like an action game? It's a really cool concept if that's the game I'm thinking of, can't remember what score PC Gamer gave it though.[/quote]

Yes that is how the game gets played. One person on each team is the commander and they play an RTS. The rest of the people on the team are playing an FPS.

I have played the original off and on, and if you can get on a good team it can be a lot of fun. For $10 I will probably take the plunge when I get home from work.

You can now get the original game for free, and the second game (with some limited multilayer functionality) is also a free download to try out first. http://www.s2games.com/savage/downloads.php

Wasn't huge on the first one, but I've heard really good things about this one. Will definitely pick it up for $10.

The first was human vs. human so I figure this one is too.

I'll try the demo then think about a purchase. Wonder why only $10.

Some on the cynics at Blue's News think the game sucks and is desperate for buyers, hence the repeated free weekends over the past few months. I've also read, via Blue's, that lots of rounds devolve into one team spawn raping the other. Is this common?

I just played a match and it was tons of fun. I dunno if the teams were especially equal or what but the above scenario did not occur. Our team was in the process of counter attacking when my demo ended. Until then we constantly were defending.

The game kind of reminds me of WC3 (DotA in particular) + WoW with Hellgate: London fighting controls. Definitely one of those games that gets better as you play. Worth it for $10, but if you're sceptical just play the demo.

Apparently you can use your account that Steam creates and download the standalone client too. Just in case you don't like Steam or you want to play the game in Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't a bad game, i actually bought the first game in store for full price before i knew it'd end up being free eventually. I played the demo of this second one and it wasn't bad, the demo is limited in some aspects, so you can't try out some of the cooler stuff.

[quote name='Codemaster']Apparently you can use your account that Steam creates and download the standalone client too. Just in case you don't like Steam or you want to play the game in Linux.[/quote]

Awesome. That's the kind of studio I want to support (not that it's a tough choice to make, it's only $10)

Anyway, the only other game that I know of with FPS/RTS elements is Natural Selection for HL1, and that's one helluva game right there.

[quote name='Sinistar']I'm gonna pick this up too.. Are we gonna have a CAG night for this? :)[/quote]

In!

After the demo I went for it. Should be done dling in an hour. Just so there weren't any problems I uninstalled the standalone, still unno how that works.

Now to practice not getting schooled in melee every time :lol:

OK I just bought it.. downloading now. :)
Codemaster, how do you download the standalone client from Steam?

If you guys wanna add me to your steam list to play this, go ahead. Just mention CAG so I know to add you :)

[quote name='Sinistar']OK I just bought it.. downloading now. :)
Codemaster, how do you download the standalone client from Steam?

If you guys wanna add me to your steam list to play this, go ahead. Just mention CAG so I know to add you :)[/quote]
You can't download the client from Steam, you have to use the account Steam creates the first time you login and download it from the Savage 2 website (http://savage2.s2games.com). Just use that account when logging into the site and the game and you should be fine. Admittedly though this means you have to play at least once on Steam.

bread's done
Back