Save $50 on PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset with purchase of The Last Of Us

finsfan0210

CAGiversary!
Feedback
199 (100%)
From June 14 through June 28 you can save $50 off the Wireless Stereo Headset ($100 normal retail price) when purchasing The Last of Us. It will be a packaged deal. This deal should be available at all normal retailers. I'd guess that Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon and The Sony Store are guarenteed.

86180843.png

86180843.png

Last edited by a moderator:
best buy's website only has the elite edition listed. i have it pre ordered there. i wonder if they have any regular editions in stock.

Not a bad headset. I use this one all the time for PS3/PC. Battery life could be a little better, but that's mostly because I forget to charge it most of the time.

This is tempting, but I also want something for my 360/Wii as well. Been using computer speakers and wired headphones for the longest.

This is a really nice headset for $50. If you're looking for a good, value tier wireless headset for PS3, this should be an obvious choice. It should be noted that it won't compare to higher end stuff and is worthless for anything but the PS3, so you should know what you're getting. Also, the convenience of these are fantastic. No hookup needed. Just plug in the USB and you are all set. It's especially great if you have more than one PS3 (to switch back and forth).

I'm confused. Is it for the pulse elite or just the wireless headset? The pic in the op is for the wireless head set but the wording is for the pulse. So which is it? Anyone know.

It's NOT the elite... The wording is wrong, but then again, some people call the "wireless headset" as Pulse because the newer one is called Pulse Elite.

[quote name='Serpentor']It's NOT the elite... The wording is wrong, but then again, some people call the "wireless headset" as Pulse because the newer one is called Pulse Elite.[/QUOTE]

thanks for clearing that up.

[quote name='Serpentor']It's NOT the elite... The wording is wrong, but then again, some people call the "wireless headset" as Pulse because the newer one is called Pulse Elite.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure the wording is "wrong" but the product names do cause confusion. I believe the wireless stereo headset is technically called the Pulse and the newer version is Pulse Elite.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']I'm not sure the wording is "wrong" but the product names do cause confusion. I believe the wireless stereo headset is technically called the Pulse and the newer version is Pulse Elite.[/QUOTE]

This. I think the original model was re-branded "Pulse" around the time the Pulse Elite was launched.

I just got a pair of these and I am waiting from Sony to hear if they are going to be compatible with the PS4 before opening them. I really really hope they are.

[quote name='MooseTheCorgi']I just got a pair of these and I am waiting from Sony to hear if they are going to be compatible with the PS4 before opening them. I really really hope they are.[/QUOTE]

I think Sony would be foolish for them not to. The Elites were just recently released and both headphones are still being marketed pretty heavily. I don't think they would want to alienate their consumer base by not allowing them to work when they are encouraging sales so close to the new console release.

That being said, nothing would surprise me. I'm not sure you're going to find out about compatibility soon enough to be able to return them.

For the headset,

- Pulse
Pros:

• Convenient (duh)
  • Works with PC and Mac (nice for voice chat)
  • Control for the ratio of voice and game sound volume (handy when others have low volume voice chat, only for PS3 though)
  • Comfortable size

Cons:

• Plastic feel (very squeaky)
  • Compressed audio (high pitch audio like... swing of chaos blades in GOW will sound... a little compressed :p)
  • Dorky looking

- Pulse Elite
Pros: (all from Pulse and)

• Audio input jack on both USB dongle AND the headset (handles sound in/out). You can have a wireless set for other devices through this audio jack going to the usb dongle.
  • Without turning on the headset, you can use it through audio jack
  • Very sturdy feeling compared to Pulse
  • Hidden mic
  • Slick design (my wife even wants to use this)
  • Sound profile stuff that can be changed from headset. And can be preset from PS3 app only for PS3 connection. I think bioshock has its own sound profile (didn't use it much though)

Cons:

• Overall smaller than Pulse, the ear pad is smaller which is a little too small for me
  • The head band/piece(?) is now two metal rods touching your top head. This actually presses my head uncomfortably causing headache after using for 20min or so. I ended up attaching a pad around it. Yes, I have a big head :p
  • Compressed audio sound feel

I wouldn't buy either of them at full price (I paid 60 for pulse and 100 for elite long time ago)

For this deal, it is a pretty good price for Pulse ($50).

[quote name='trunks982']do these work on bluray movies or fios tv?[/QUOTE]

They work great on Bluray movies since Sony updated surround sound to be used when watching movies. I got my pair at launch and would recommend them for somebody in the market for a wireless headset.

Unfortunately, sound compression is something you get with all BlueTooth headsets. Some of the high end ones mask it much better than the lower end ones, but BlueTooth only has so much bandwidth...

Packaged deal... as in a bundle sold as a set?

If this is the first pulse headset, does that mean the headset itself is like $20? or something? Sounds interesting. . .

If this starts June 14th does that mean you have to wait till after launch to order the bundle? I'm kinda confused how this is going to work out.

Hmm, maybe we'll get lucky and Best Buy will throw Gamer Rewards customers a coupon to stack on top of Sony's $50 off.

Pulse elites do not have the compressed audio feel when they are wired, this headset shines the most when wired + power on .

Also be wary of this, i have used mine a couple of months and they are already starting to crack on the joints, major design flaw. D:

1370026240397.jpg

[quote name='ProppaT']Unfortunately, sound compression is something you get with all BlueTooth headsets. Some of the high end ones mask it much better than the lower end ones, but BlueTooth only has so much bandwidth...[/QUOTE]

This is not a bluetooth. It is just a RF AFAIK.

[quote name='ggamdori']This is not a bluetooth. It is just a RF AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

I think you're correct. IIRC they both come with a USB dongle for PS3 use, and I don't know why a dongle would be required if they are BT headsets as BT is built-in to the PS3.

[quote name='ggamdori']This is not a bluetooth. It is just a RF AFAIK.[/QUOTE]

Did not realize this. Thanks for the info.

As for the guy above you, wouldn't using these things wired kind of defeat the point? You're paying for the wireless option. I would have to imagine there's better wired options for the money.

So if I already have a preorder for the normal edition at Gamestop, how do I get this one? Do I just go to Gamestop on release date and ask for that one or do I go now and switch to that one?

You have to go wired with vita and other devices.They sound good wireless but wired these are awesome. I use them wireless most of the time (when i do not forget to charge them, they work also without charge wired sacrificing all of the pulse features)

[quote name='ggamdori']For the headset,

- Pulse
Pros:

• Convenient (duh)
  • Works with PC and Mac (nice for voice chat)
  • Control for the ratio of voice and game sound volume (handy when others have low volume voice chat, only for PS3 though)
  • Comfortable size
Cons:

• Plastic feel (very squeaky)
  • Compressed audio (high pitch audio like... swing of chaos blades in GOW will sound... a little compressed :p)
  • Dorky looking

- Pulse Elite
Pros: (all from Pulse and)

• Audio input jack on both USB dongle AND the headset (handles sound in/out). You can have a wireless set for other devices through this audio jack going to the usb dongle.
  • Without turning on the headset, you can use it through audio jack
  • Very sturdy feeling compared to Pulse
  • Hidden mic
  • Slick design (my wife even wants to use this)
  • Sound profile stuff that can be changed from headset. And can be preset from PS3 app only for PS3 connection. I think bioshock has its own sound profile (didn't use it much though)
Cons:

• Overall smaller than Pulse, the ear pad is smaller which is a little too small for me
  • The head band/piece(?) is now two metal rods touching your top head. This actually presses my head uncomfortably causing headache after using for 20min or so. I ended up attaching a pad around it. Yes, I have a big head :p
  • Compressed audio sound feel
I wouldn't buy either of them at full price (I paid 60 for pulse and 100 for elite long time ago)

For this deal, it is a pretty good price for Pulse ($50).[/QUOTE]

You left off one major Con for the Elites. It's an issue that caused me to stop using mine for the most part. The Sidetone is so low it might as well be not even be a feature. I don't like using these when chatting online because I can't hear myself talk. It makes it difficult to judge my sound level as well as distracting because my voice is so muffled. I thought mine were broken, but I realized there are a lot of other people who have the same complaint. There is technically sidetone included, but it is extremely faint. Oddly enough, there is no sidetone problem with the original Pulse, just the Pulse Elite. I think sidetone was added in a firmware update on the original Pulse. I actually prefer my original Pulse headphones solely because of this issue.

[quote name='ProppaT']Did not realize this. Thanks for the info.

As for the guy above you, wouldn't using these things wired kind of defeat the point? You're paying for the wireless option. I would have to imagine there's better wired options for the money.[/QUOTE]

If the sound is better wired, then it doesn't defeat the purpose as you get a tangible benefit from leaving it plugged. At worst you can switch back and forth between wired and wireless depending on which you prefer. I know I don't even bother unplugging my dualshock half the time, even though there's no benefit to leaving it plugged I usually just forget about it. Besides, $50 is actually not bad even for wired headset with mic. So at least this one gives you the option of going either way.

If there's any way to combine this with the $20 pre-order at Best Buy, I think I'm sold. I had been looking at different wired/wireless combinations, and definitely didn't want to spend anywhere close to $100. At $50 (or possibly less), it's much more palatable.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']You left off one major Con for the Elites. It's an issue that caused me to stop using mine for the most part. The Sidetone is so low it might as well be not even be a feature. I don't like using these when chatting online because I can't hear myself talk. It makes it difficult to judge my sound level as well as distracting because my voice is so muffled. I thought mine were broken, but I realized there are a lot of other people who have the same complaint. There is technically sidetone included, but it is extremely faint. Oddly enough, there is no sidetone problem with the original Pulse, just the Pulse Elite. I think sidetone was added in a firmware update on the original Pulse. I actually prefer my original Pulse headphones solely because of this issue.[/QUOTE]

You have to hold the mute button to change the sidetone. I believe there are 3 levels of it (none, low, high).

I was curious about just using something like this Turtle Beach DSS2 with my Sennheiser headphones. Just plug it directly into PS3 when I need to, rather than having to move my big ass amp (where I plug in the headphone jack) around. It's too impractical for me to really move my PS3 or amp, so instead I end up just playing it at low TV volume without any headphones. Which obviously doens't give me the best experience for gaming....

I know this wouldn't give me "chat" capabilities, but 95% of what I need is just good quality headphones.

Would $50 be better spent on the Sony headphones with chat, or a small gaming headphone amp/processorlike this so I can just convert the optical out on Ps3 to a headphone jack? I know it would be nice to get chat, but if the sound quality doesn't compare maybe just getting a portable headphone processor like this would be better? I'm really not huge on having wireless, or on having chat capabilities. Those are more secondary to me compared to sound quality.

[quote name='TooPoor']Lol @ "Dorky looking"[/QUOTE]

You don't look at yourself in the mirror when playing? Maybe I am the only one...

[quote name='nhlducks35']You have to hold the mute button to change the sidetone. I believe there are 3 levels of it (none, low, high).[/QUOTE]

That's correct, except the 3 levels are none, basically none, and way too low.

I have 3 pair of Turtle Beach and the original pulse which are all SIGNIFICANTLY better at sidetone than the Elites.

[quote name='Agent Orange']I was curious about just using something like this Turtle Beach DSS2 with my Sennheiser headphones. Just plug it directly into PS3 when I need to, rather than having to move my big ass amp (where I plug in the headphone jack) around. It's too impractical for me to really move my PS3 or amp, so instead I end up just playing it at low TV volume without any headphones. Which obviously doens't give me the best experience for gaming....

I know this wouldn't give me "chat" capabilities, but 95% of what I need is just good quality headphones.

Would $50 be better spent on the Sony headphones with chat, or a small gaming headphone amp/processorlike this so I can just convert the optical out on Ps3 to a headphone jack? I know it would be nice to get chat, but if the sound quality doesn't compare maybe just getting a portable headphone processor like this would be better? I'm really not huge on having wireless, or on having chat capabilities. Those are more secondary to me compared to sound quality.[/QUOTE]

Here's a much less expensive alternative.

Also, If you'd like to chat with your regular headphones try a zalman mic out.

Interested in this deal but looks like Survival Edition is sold out at Amazon now. Won't risk my preorder so Amazon would have to make this retroactive. Not even seeing this showing up anywhere.

I pre ordered for a in store pick up when I came across this deal, went to the store to pick up my pre order and I did not receive my $50 off coupon for the elite headset, the best buy associate told me I should receive I via e mail by no later than wed, I was OK because best buy is close and was not going top be home to play the game till later. so wed comes and goes and no email! I contact customer service and ask what's the deal, I could hardly understand the accent of the lady but was able to have her send me a $50 reward zone credit, I haven't received it yet so I am not to sure about that, so my question is when did you guys get the coupon and how was it sent?

Thanks in advance.

There was a coupon? I thought it was deducted right off the price based on the in-store ads I saw everywhere and it was only on ht elite pulse (reg %149.99 edition)

I had no idea about this and I got the game at bestbuy, anyone knows if I go to the store and show them the receipt I could still get this deal?

I had no idea about this and I got the game at bestbuy, anyone knows if I go to the store and show them the receipt I could still get this deal?
You missed it. Maybe you'll run into the worlds most lenient manager, but there's virtually no chance they'll honor an old promo now.

PSA:  the deal at bestbuy is still LIVE, just bought the game+headset today...here's a pic of the in-store stand, looks like this is running until 29JUN:

4LacEXp.jpg

bread's done
Back