Save E3 Petition!

[quote name='Michaellvortega']No need to shit on the OPs thread guys.[/QUOTE]
Your right, but there is no real gain to having E3 around other then a hype machine.

[quote name='megaseadramon']Your right, but there is no real gain to having E3 around other then a hype machine.[/QUOTE]

I take it you've never read any video game news? Never seen a video of a demo? Played a demo? Heard about how awesome Assassin's Creed was? Or maybe that Wii stole the show? What they are trying to do is take an open forum where any type of news is fair game and turn it into a controlled media hype machine, by not allowing independent media in and scheduling only closed door demos. What kind of quality coverage do you think the talking heads at EGM will pump out if this happens? If that truly is your opinion then you should be the first person inline to sign it.

The petition's rationale is nonsense.

"The folks at thehardcoregamer.com have started an online petition to Save E3 2007. The people most negatively affected by this decision are the independent video game journalists and the gamers themselves who will eventually purchase the products. Cancelling E3 will essentially silence the voice of the independent video game journalist. "

The gamers wouldn't be affected at all. They get the same web, magazine, and TV experience from an individual company's event as they do from having a bunch of stuff packed together at E3. Nintendo can put on a show for the press any time they like and get just as much coverage but for far less cost and annoyance.

Independent game journalist? Please. Kid with a web hosting account and a readership measured in the hundreds is the reality. These people were a big factor in making E3 so unpleasant and driving away a lot of legitimate coverage.

Most people only experienced E3 through mass media. The only thing that will change for them is those outlet will cover a bunch of smaller events. Which is just as well. The focus will be better and we'll be spared the horror of G4's attempted coverage again.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, it is bad news for E3 attendees.....all 99.7% of us on CAG, who would never be allowed in.

I say blow it up.[/QUOTE]

yep

Also, when will people realize that these so call on-line petition do not work 99.99999% of the time. It so easy to fake a gazillion signatures.

[quote name='epobirs']The petition's rationale is nonsense.

"The folks at thehardcoregamer.com have started an online petition to Save E3 2007. The people most negatively affected by this decision are the independent video game journalists and the gamers themselves who will eventually purchase the products. Cancelling E3 will essentially silence the voice of the independent video game journalist. "

The gamers wouldn't be affected at all. They get the same web, magazine, and TV experience from an individual company's event as they do from having a bunch of stuff packed together at E3. Nintendo can put on a show for the press any time they like and get just as much coverage but for far less cost and annoyance.

Independent game journalist? Please. Kid with a web hosting account and a readership measured in the hundreds is the reality. These people were a big factor in making E3 so unpleasant and driving away a lot of legitimate coverage.

Most people only experienced E3 through mass media. The only thing that will change for them is those outlet will cover a bunch of smaller events. Which is just as well. The focus will be better and we'll be spared the horror of G4's attempted coverage again.[/QUOTE]

yep

Also, when will people realize that these so call on-line petition do not work 99.99999% of the time. It so easy to fake a gazillion signatures.

Ever read joystiq, Kotaku? How bout Spong? Maybe Magic Box? All independent are independent and along with our beloved CheapAssGamer will no longer be welcome at future E3 expos. And yet they clearly all have readers in the thousands, tens of thousands and millions for the big ones. Hardly kid stuff.

[quote name='epobirs']

Most people only experienced E3 through mass media. The only thing that will change for them is those outlet will cover a bunch of smaller events. Which is just as well. The focus will be better and we'll be spared the horror of G4's attempted coverage again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='wbc1228']yep

Also, when will people realize that these so call on-line petition do not work 99.99999% of the time. It so easy to fake a gazillion signatures.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is a defeatest attitude. Do you usually approach ideas and issues with a stance of "this isn't going to work because it rarely does" state of mind?

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Wow that is a defeatest attitude. Do you usually approach ideas and issues with a stance of "this isn't going to work because it rarely does" state of mind?[/QUOTE]

In the case of online petitions, the defeatest attitude is a good thing to have. Nobody really listens.

E3 doesnt give anything to the gamers, the news can be had without girls walking around in costumes and mini skirts. I say let them put that damn money into making better games

[quote name='rabidmonkeys']Ever read joystiq, Kotaku? How bout Spong? Maybe Magic Box? All independent and along with thehardcoregamer and CheapAssGamer will no longer be welcome. And they all have readers in the thousands, tens of thousands and millions for the big ones. Hardly a kid.[/QUOTE]

Spong is a money making concern with offices in the Wakefield Media Center. Not a kid operating out of his bedroom.

Magic Box, while useful, does nothing but translate Japanese sites and magazines. (Badly, I might add.) Attending E3 means little to that site or the E3 exhibitors.

Hardcore Gamer is the adjunct of a print magazine and a publisher of gaming guides. Again, not a kid in his bedroom paying $20 a month for hosting.

Joystiq.com is a publication of Weblogs, Inc., which in turn is part of AOL and in turn connected to media empire Time Warner Turner. (You might take a scan of their top commenter list if you think I'm not familiar with the site.) They are hardly a little independent outfit.

Kotaku is part of Gawker Media. Not as big as Weblogs, Inc but again, not an independent without an established footprint at the major PR agencies. If Nintendo has an event and wants to summon press coverage their PR agency, Golin-Harris, has a database of press people to invite that meet with their approval for have a legitimate audience to reach.

That list is carefully devoid of the kids at www.gaming-site-youve-never-heard-of-and-never-will-again.com.

As for CAG? By it's very nature, why would any game company want to invite people from a place that represents an audience that seeks to avoid paying for their games? CheapyD could easily qualify for entrance at E3 but the lack of selectivity there is one of the reasons E3 as we knew it is history. Bringing CAGs to game industry press events is like inviting 'all software should be free' fanatics to Comdex. Comdex tried sucking up to the Linux crowd and it was a disaster. Now Comdex is no more.

I love CAG but nobody in their right mind should have trouble understanding why it isn't high on a PR company's list of best loved gaming sites.

E3 became hellish in recent years because there would be thousands of people choking the aisles who had no business being there. I did the same thing at CES and Comdex back in the 80s, I'll admit. Your perspective changes a great deal when you're actually there to work and standing in multi-hour lines behind children who should never have been admitted is preventing you from getting the story.

The last time I attended E3 without a paying gig was in 1998 and that was not intentional. I had been in my hotel room les than an hour on the day before the show opened. I check my email and get a message informing me that the publication I was expecting to sell coverage to no longer existed. It was sold to another publisher and immediately shut down with the intent to use the name for an entirely different web-only concept.

Kind of put a damper on the whole show for me, now that I was on an unpaid vacation rather than a job.

[quote name='Weedy649']E3 doesnt give anything to the gamers, the news can be had without girls walking around in costumes and mini skirts. I say let them put that damn money into making better games[/QUOTE]

But why would anybody even bother then? I'm glad E3's done -- it died the second they got rid of the booth babes. There's been years where the girls have been far more entertaining than the games.

[quote name='Chacrana']But why would anybody even bother then? I'm glad E3's done -- it died the second they got rid of the booth babes. There's been years where the girls have been far more entertaining than the games.[/QUOTE]

That is what strip clubs exist for providing. Why the ESA should be running a free strip club with no real nudity and at high cost to its member is the issue at hand. Their answer is they shouldn't. For a lot less money they could take the press that actually matters to a four-walled strip club with some game demos off to one side.

[quote name='epobirs']That is what strip clubs exist for providing. Why the ESA should be running a free strip club with no real nudity and at high cost to its member is the issue at hand. Their answer is they shouldn't. For a lot less money they could take the press that actually matters to a four-walled strip club with some game demos off to one side.[/QUOTE]

But E3 gave you teh bitches and unreleased games... nothing could be better.

(I was actually half joking about the whole 'E3 is dead without the babes' part)

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Ah, well no more CAG Meet-ups, i guess.[/QUOTE]

FARK manages to have get togethers without a massive industry event. There is likely something that could be done in some of the regions with a high CAG density. And I'll have you know there are some extremely dense CAGs, so chances are favorable!

[quote name='Chacrana']But E3 gave you teh bitches and unreleased games... nothing could be better.

(I was actually half joking about the whole 'E3 is dead without the babes' part)[/QUOTE]

Some of the offsite press stuff at Comdex would be in some pretty wild clubs. I sometimes miss those days.

If they really wanted to enslave some of these web kids, they could use on of the brothels outside Clark County, NV and get them free of their virginity. A 'game of the month' is probably worth at least the cost of that for one review crew.

Ok, like 99% of CAGs have never been... who gives a shit? Nothing lasts forever... if you really wanted to go, you would of gone by now.

although I have never been to an E3... to be honest it would be NICE for company's to just announce there new game/machine when its ready to be announced...not give reporters the same bullshit... "Wait til E3..we have a big surprise..."

Yea, this is about as useless as trying to convince the world that the swastika is actually a symbol of love and harmony.

While I wish E3 weren't going away, there simply isn't anything anyone can do about it.

[quote name='daphatty']Yea, this is about as useless as trying to convince the world that the swastika is actually a symbol of love and harmony.

While I wish E3 weren't going away, there simply isn't anything anyone can do about it.[/quote] I think that in either Japan of China, a backwards, or upside down swastika actually means love, harmony, luck, etc... IIRC

[quote name='pop311']I think that in either Japan of China, a backwards, or upside down swastika actually means love, harmony, luck, etc... IIRC[/QUOTE]

Thats what he was talking about.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Yes, it is bad news for E3 attendees.....all 99.7% of us on CAG, who would never be allowed in.

I say blow it up.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I agree with the Vanilla Gorrilla fellow!

I'm so happy about the E3 news. Don't get me wrong, E3 was a cool event to go to, but man, it's just another way to get burned out in this industry. Having to put so much effort into an E3 demo takes the team away from creating the final product, and creates a mini crunch mode that just isn't necessary. Add to that the amount of effort it takes to work one of these shows, and I'm full of smiles that E3 is going away from what it used to be.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']E3 did ruin Halo2(single player), I will admit that.[/QUOTE]

How so? They committed to a ship date well over a year in advance. E3 was merely the venue where that announcement was made. It would have been equally demanded at a private press event.

[quote name='Chacrana']But why would anybody even bother then? I'm glad E3's done -- it died the second they got rid of the booth babes. There's been years where the girls have been far more entertaining than the games.[/quote]
:whistle2:s They never got rid of the booth babes.

No more E3? Now who will hype up games years in advance?

My favorite moment of E3 was the GTA 4 release date shown as October 17th, 2007... I can't wait for them to show us what it looks like at next year's E3 :roll:

The best part about E3 was the conferences... we should just go back to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo holding their own events and conferences. E3 was way too much hype, not enough substance.

[quote name='epobirs']How so? They committed to a ship date well over a year in advance. E3 was merely the venue where that announcement was made. It would have been equally demanded at a private press event.[/QUOTE]

In the Halo 2 CE video disc they CLAIM they took a lot of their time to make a demo for E3 and after E3 all they had was still just a demo. Then they go and talk about how they had a FIRM date they had to make and stuff had to be cut and this and that, It was like watching a 30 min excuse video. nothing against halo 2 multi though, I love it.

Petitions do not work. Signing it will not change the developers minds on saving hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted.

this decision shouldnt effect anyone whos not in the industry.

FYI - petitions are useless...especially online petitions...becasue you see crap like this:

Fanboy#1!11!1 writes: e3 is so the awesome. i love m$oft xbox the greattestt. booo EA dey da worst game designer evar. i h8 my job at eb..e3 dissed me wif no passes.

As much as I would want to say something, there is no way I can beat both the eloquence and brevity of epobirs's posts here.

I think that whatever they are trying to do, I'll be way more excited to see now, just out of curiosity factor alone. I also really feel the developers bitching about having to polish up the games that are scheduled for a holiday release. I think that whoever said that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo ought to have their own shows with announcements hit the nail on the head. This E3 was obviously not good for Microsoft by a comparative margin (having said that, I do have to admit being impressed while watching their conference, but I will leave it at that).

If the film and music industries are capable of generating plenty of $$s without "big huge media events," perhaps that is a sign of an obsolete (and yet extremely expensive) spectacle.

[quote name='Michaellvortega']In the Halo 2 CE video disc they CLAIM they took a lot of their time to make a demo for E3 and after E3 all they had was still just a demo. Then they go and talk about how they had a FIRM date they had to make and stuff had to be cut and this and that, It was like watching a 30 min excuse video. nothing against halo 2 multi though, I love it.[/QUOTE]

Which means they largely started from scratch after E3 and nothing was really affected. My recollection from E3 was a demo that concentrated on the work to the engine, which was pretty significant.

If they had to rush to produce something demonstrable for E3 that only shows that the project was already missing the schedule. Blaming E3 is just making an excuse. If the project had been properly on course the demo would simply be extracted from the most stable portions of the work in progress.

Bungie is far from the first developer to pull a week of all nighters to meet a demo requirement. Happened back in the CES days and will continue to happen because there will always be a need for a PR buildup well in advance of a beta.

[quote name='MarioColbert']As much as I would want to say something, there is no way I can beat both the eloquence and brevity of epobirs's posts here.

I think that whatever they are trying to do, I'll be way more excited to see now, just out of curiosity factor alone. I also really feel the developers bitching about having to polish up the games that are scheduled for a holiday release. I think that whoever said that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo ought to have their own shows with announcements hit the nail on the head. This E3 was obviously not good for Microsoft by a comparative margin (having said that, I do have to admit being impressed while watching their conference, but I will leave it at that).

If the film and music industries are capable of generating plenty of $$s without "big huge media events," perhaps that is a sign of an obsolete (and yet extremely expensive) spectacle.[/QUOTE]

The film and music folks spend immense sums on events but they spread it out around a bunch of individual album and movie premieres. Some of the parties they through for a really big movie will go far into six digits just for gift bags given to attendees. A lot of those end up in eBay charity auctions out of sheer embarrassment by the already wealthy recipients but the costs still get billed to the production.

[quote name='megaseadramon']fuck E3, they have been screwing themselves over for awhile now. I would rather go to GDC or the Tokyo game show.[/QUOTE]

Amen!

[quote name='megaseadramon']fuck E3, they have been screwing themselves over for awhile now. I would rather go to GDC or the Tokyo game show.[/quote]

GDC isnt the kind of show you think it is. its worlds different from E3. its more of a busines/tech/career show.
It was over run last year by Nintendo who didnt have anything important to offer. They showed up and set up DS demo stations. Thats it.
It scares me that GDC could turn into a bastard E3 and soon sweaty Best Buy nerds will be able to get in.

I'm excited about the E3 restructuring. It'll be a lot better when we get the information we want, without the overglamorized fashion show.

I would rather see an E3 where there or many smaller hotel-like rooms where EA, Activision and Ubisoft show their games and then a downstairs convention floor with massive noise restrictions and staff limits.

That way the ones who are spending hundreds of thousands on their booths would only have to put up with a hotel suite. While smaller publishers and indi developers show their games.

Keeping some sort of show floor would solve one problem while still giving the smaller guys (both developers and media) there space.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']I would rather see an E3 where there or many smaller hotel-like rooms where EA, Activision and Ubisoft show their games and then a downstairs convention floor with massive noise restrictions and staff limits.

That way the ones who are spending hundreds of thousands on their booths would only have to put up with a hotel suite. While smaller publishers and indi developers show their games.

Keeping some sort of show floor would solve one problem while still giving the smaller guys (both developers and media) there space.[/quote]

That doesn't sound all that bad, good idea. Perhaps you should be in charge of the ESA. :)

i'm sure an online petition will really convince the big wigs at the big publishers to throw away more money for your fanboy sake -_-.............................................

bread's done
Back