[scam?] Great deals from ebay seller

It is strange but I have seen worse on eBay that turned out ok. At this point we'll see what he does. He sent me an email saying it would ship on Wed at 0900. I will email that afternoon to check. If it is a quick sting then he still has auctions up for a few more days and he hasn't added anything new. He could keep posting good games and just rack up the money then vanish. You figure he has until at least the weekend before any packages may show up. I will ask him his shipping method. Regardless, you have 30 days usually to go after them. The amount of fraud and credit card protection I have I am not worried. It's only 60 dollars to me so I can live without it until I get it back. If he does turn out to be legit I will feel bad how much flack he is catching. I know if i was new and started selling games like this at great prices and everyone accused me of being a thief it would suck.

[quote name='Aryss']I know if i was new and started selling games like this at great prices and everyone accused me of being a thief it would suck.[/quote]

True.

No answer to emails yet but you never know. I dealt with one seller that didn't answer me for a week. Turned out he had a heart attack the day after he said he shipped my item. Anyone else email him and get an answer? Someone should ask him for his address for money orders? He said he accepts them in his invoice.

Update-y: This is weird...no?

Got this from the mailer-daemon over @ hotmail:

The original message was received at Thu, 24 Mar 2005 03:33:17 -0800
from sj-v3conta03.sjc.ebay.com [10.6.189.176]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

(reason: 550 Invalid recipient: )

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx00.mail.bellsouth.net.:
>>> DATA

[quote name='Aryss']Contact info is fake, email is shut down. Fraud. I would start filing complaints now.[/quote]

I think someone needs to change the title also. OP? Mods?

Just sent an email into eBay... it looks like you can't file a claim until 10 days have passed. Hopefully enough people email in with concern right now!

About 4 years ago I got ripped off on eBay. A couple of days after my purchase, the guy turned his feedback Private but not until I got a look at it. The hundred or so recent ones were all negative for non-receipt. I emailed PayPal right away but they told me there was nothing they can do until a month later. A month passes and PayPal emails me saying I was right about it being a scam but they could NOT refund my money because the scammers account had already been cleared out of funds (namely by the scammer). I was pretty pissed. Hopefully since eBay took over PayPal, they're a lot better at handling those situations.

[quote name='bradr']About 4 years ago I got ripped off on eBay. A couple of days after my purchase, the guy turned his feedback Private but not until I got a look at it. The hundred or so recent ones were all negative for non-receipt. I emailed PayPal right away but they told me there was nothing they can do until a month later. A month passes and PayPal emails me saying I was right about it being a scam but they could NOT refund my money because the scammers account had already been cleared out of funds (namely by the scammer). I was pretty pissed. Hopefully since eBay took over PayPal, they're a lot better at handling those situations.[/quote]

Don't bet on it.....

I just pulled his contact info from ebay. The e-mail lists him as Todd Jackson, yet on Paypal he's registered as Ken merck.

I would file your Paypal complaint ASAP and also post negative feedback to warn the others.

[quote name='paul6']I just pulled his contact info from ebay. The e-mail lists him as Todd Jackson, yet on Paypal he's registered as Ken merck.

I would file your Paypal complaint ASAP and also post negative feedback to warn the others.[/quote]

Add T Lang to the list... that's who my invoice came from... :evil:

Congrats to myself, this is my first time getting scammed on ebay. What exactly will happen? Does anything happen or is it just a complaint filing thing where not much comes of it. just wondering, for any unlucky people that have a history with the proces of getting screwed, thanks

[quote name='sociopharm02']Congrats to myself, this is my first time getting scammed on ebay. What exactly will happen? Does anything happen or is it just a complaint filing thing where not much comes of it. just wondering, for any unlucky people that have a history with the proces of getting screwed, thanks[/quote]

Well it basically starts out like this: After 10 days of no response paypal looks into the situation and if enough claims are filed they freeze the account. Then any money that is left in the account (there will most likely be a little bit from people who paid for their auctions late) is given back to some of the scammed people, I think it is first come first serve. For this reason a credit card chargeback is a much better option for anyone who has been scamed.

[quote name='zionoverfire']
Well it basically starts out like this: After 10 days of no response paypal looks into the situation and if enough claims are filed they freeze the account. Then any money that is left in the account (there will most likely be a little bit from people who paid for their auctions late) is given back to some of the scammed people, I think it is first come first serve. For this reason a credit card chargeback is a much better option for anyone who has been scamed.[/quote]

He covered that base by requiring immediate Payment with the Buy It Nows...

[quote name='magikman'][quote name='zionoverfire']
Well it basically starts out like this: After 10 days of no response paypal looks into the situation and if enough claims are filed they freeze the account. Then any money that is left in the account (there will most likely be a little bit from people who paid for their auctions late) is given back to some of the scammed people, I think it is first come first serve. For this reason a credit card chargeback is a much better option for anyone who has been scamed.[/quote]

He covered that base by requiring immediate Payment with the Buy It Nows...[/quote]

Ahhhh yes he did and no one was suspicious of that? I was tempted by one of his auctions but I thought I'd see if anyone got their items before I placed a bid. But there might still be a small amount of funds in his account if it gets frozen quickly enough, but still if you can CC chargeback I'd try that route first.

I agree with the Chargeback option. Although PayPal says it's against the rules, etc ... it's probably the only way you'll get your money back. It's too bad this happened. My luck with buying things online (through individuals) has been about 50/50. (I haven't really done it since I first was on eBay so I'd like to think I'm a lot more careful now).

[quote name='bradr']I agree with the Chargeback option. Although PayPal says it's against the rules, etc ... it's probably the only way you'll get your money back. It's too bad this happened. My luck with buying things online (through individuals) has been about 50/50. (I haven't really done it since I first was on eBay so I'd like to think I'm a lot more careful now).[/quote]

50/50 isn't that great, I've found by looking at feedback and related auctions you can normally spot the questionable/fake auctions pretty easily.

[quote name='zionoverfire'][quote name='bradr']I agree with the Chargeback option. Although PayPal says it's against the rules, etc ... it's probably the only way you'll get your money back. It's too bad this happened. My luck with buying things online (through individuals) has been about 50/50. (I haven't really done it since I first was on eBay so I'd like to think I'm a lot more careful now).[/quote]

50/50 isn't that great, I've found by looking at feedback and related auctions you can normally spot the questionable/fake auctions pretty easily.[/quote]

50/50's pretty horrible actually. I haven't really purchased anything online from eBay or Half in over 3 years. The last time I paid for Expedited and they shipped it media mail. I guess it's just my luck. Anyway, the B&M deals are so much better for most part! I've also found that 90% of the people who sell on eBay are in the worst possible health as your purchase is always late to arrive because they were either in the hospital or someone died :wink:

[quote name='bradr']50/50's pretty horrible actually. I haven't really purchased anything online from eBay or Half in over 3 years. The last time I paid for Expedited and they shipped it media mail. I guess it's just my luck. Anyway, the B&M deals are so much better for most part! I've also found that 90% of the people who sell on eBay are in the worst possible health as your purchase is always late to arrive because they were either in the hospital or someone died :wink:[/QUOTE]

50/50 is pretty bad but I was trying to not sound to harsh. I can see why you stay away from ebay, but for certain things it's the only way to get a complete/cheap copy but yeah shipping does take forever. I bought a PS1 for my sister with priority shipping, oh it got shipped priority, 2 weeks after I paid for it.

The second I read "T. Lang" as one of his names, I automatically knew it was a scam.

And yeah, I don't trust Asians through the internet, I know them too well, and know they are big on piracy of stuff like this.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']The second I read "T. Lang" as one of his names, I automatically knew it was a scam.

And yeah, I don't trust Asians through the internet, I know them too well, and know they are big on piracy of stuff like this.[/QUOTE]

Because I haven't met a single caucasian who has ever scammed anyone or pirated software or movies.:roll:

It's okay if you want to be a bigot, but most people would prefer if you kept such views to yourself.

I wasn't being a bigot, and I suggest you learn the facts before calling someone that. This is what should be a well known fact that China takes top spot on the piracy list.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I wasn't being a bigot, and I suggest you learn the facts before calling someone that. This is what should be a well known fact that China takes top spot on the piracy list.[/QUOTE]
Well, Asians come from other places other than China. And believe it or not, there are Asians not physically in Asia. :p I know what you were trying to say, but the way you put it sounded pretty racist.

Also, are you implying Lang is an Asian name? Because I don't know any Asians with the last name Lang. I thought it was German or Austrian or something.

I know, just pointing out that China alone is big on piracy, along with many other Asian(and not just Asian of course) countries.

My point was, if they came from somewhere such as China, then they probably know you can just go to Hong kong and buy this stuff for cheap.

And yes, Lang does sound like an Asian name.

PS: If I were racist against Asians then I would have to not like myself. :)

While there are many piracy in Hong Kong, it is still very easy to find real Japanese games. In fact HK is the only other place SNK JP support outside of Japan. If you ask me it is much easier buying back ups in New York than in Hong Kong.

Lang is Asian sounding to you but if you google it up it most of the people that have this name are not Asians. You might be thing of Leung or Lam (actually Asian names)

As for you being Asian, you can still be racist against Asians. (look at Ward Connerly or Clarence Thomas)

Also i dont see how scam has anything to do with piracy. For example there are many well known scam involving Africa but you never heard of Africa being a major source of piracy.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I know, just pointing out that China alone is big on piracy, along with many other Asian(and not just Asian of course) countries.

My point was, if they came from somewhere such as China, then they probably know you can just go to Hong kong and buy this stuff for cheap.

And yes, Lang does sound like an Asian name.

PS: If I were racist against Asians then I would have to not like myself. :)[/QUOTE]

Liang may be what you're thinking of. Lang is actually more of a caucasian name.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I wasn't being a bigot, and I suggest you learn the facts before calling someone that. This is what should be a well known fact that China takes top spot on the piracy list.[/QUOTE]

Actually you were and I hope you bother to think before you post in the future. You might be asian but ethnicity does not show very well through the internet and yes you can be a bigot towards your own race.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Actually you were and I hope you bother to think before you post in the future. You might be asian but ethnicity does not show very well through the internet and yes you can be a bigot towards your own race.[/QUOTE]

Tough guy, tough guy

Well, he received his first positive feedback from a game sold during "the barrage". Maybe someone here will confirm receipt today??

Not yet. He might actually send a few out to stall Ebay. 300 auctions and only one person received there item so far. He shipped on Wed. Probably a scammer friend.

I know that, and I thought very well about my post, but my opinion still stands. In my personal experience, I have encountered many pirated goods being sold, and they have almost all been by Asians. I also know that Asian countries are tops on the Piracy list. I do not say the general Asian population all pirate stuff, but the statistics are too great for me to take that risk. Think what you will.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I know that, and I thought very well about my post, but my opinion still stands. In my personal experience, I have encountered many pirated goods being sold, and they have almost all been by Asians. I also know that Asian countries are tops on the Piracy list. I do not say the general Asian population all pirate stuff, but the statistics are too great for me to take that risk. Think what you will.[/QUOTE]

I am not even sure why we are talking about priacy here. We are talking about a guy possibility taking money and not sending anything. You are the one that bring up the idea of piracy for no reason just because the guy has an Asian sounding name to you.

[quote name='WolfPac_Ite']I know that, and I thought very well about my post, but my opinion still stands. In my personal experience, I have encountered many pirated goods being sold, and they have almost all been by Asians. I also know that Asian countries are tops on the Piracy list. I do not say the general Asian population all pirate stuff, but the statistics are too great for me to take that risk. Think what you will.[/QUOTE]
So I guess you wouldn't trade with Asian people, say, on CAG because the percentage of Asians that pirate are too great? Maybe no one should trade with you since you are Asian and probably trades pirated goods?

Piracy issues aside, can someone please post if they do receive their item(s) from this seller. I took a chance and purchased Fight Night 2 (xbox) when this thread was started. I have never been scammed before on Ebay. I called my bank to get a chargeback. I haven't received the form from the bank yet to complete the chargeback. I heard Paypal is againist this. Will I lose my Paypal account because of this (going to my bank) first.

[quote name='AlucardDE']Piracy issues aside, can someone please post if they do receive their item(s) from this seller. I took a chance and purchased Fight Night 2 (xbox) when this thread was started. I have never been scammed before on Ebay. I called my bank to get a chargeback. I haven't received the form from the bank yet to complete the chargeback. I heard Paypal is againist this. Will I lose my Paypal account because of this (going to my bank) first.[/QUOTE]
Are you guys sure he's a scammer? I know the different names and dead emails are sketchy, but it's only been a week. He's getting positive feedback for purchases made a week ago.

Why don't you file a Paypal chargeback first before you do a bank/CC chargeback?

To make a sweeping generalization saying that all Asians are pirates doesn't seem right. Maybe what you meant to say is that you would never purchase video game items that ship out of Hong Kong or China? It is well known and pretty undeniable that if you purchase any GBA game from HK, it will most likely be pirated. I'm sure for most part, buying a game from "an Asian" in the U.S. would be a much safer bet.

And it's just wrong to say you knew this eBay guy was going to rip off people because you think he's Asian. Since he's got 3 different aliases (and none of them seem Asian to me), it just proves that people can make up any name they want.

On topic:

He's got 17 fb now. One neutral and one negative. I'm pretty sure OP posted the neg but did someone here post the neutral? It seems like some people left fb before receiving the item. Some people do that when they think they've gotten a great deal. How long has it been now since the auctions ended? About 2 weeks?

[quote name='bradr']
On topic:

He's got 17 fb now. One neutral and one negative. I'm pretty sure OP posted the neg but did someone here post the neutral? It seems like some people left fb before receiving the item. Some people do that when they think they've gotten a great deal. How long has it been now since the auctions ended? About 2 weeks?[/QUOTE]
I think most people made purchases a week ago on the 21st (when the thread started).

AlucardDE -

PayPal may get pretty hot if you do a bank chargeback before going through their process. I'm not sure if they'll shut your account down for doing that, though.

I didn't know you could even do a chargeback for a bank transfer? Did the bank say they would actually get your money back or does it depend on the 3rd party (PayPal in this case) agreeing to return the funds? If PayPal is going to have to agree you may as well just do a PayPal chargeback.

[quote name='ZForce915']This is why you look into the feedback of the seller before bidding. I would bet a good amount of money that no one gets these games if they bid.[/QUOTE]

I had to learn the hard way two times that 100% positive feedback doesn't always mean a good thing.. I got my money took 2 times. I got it back though paypal (filing a buyer complaint) but nonetheless it was gone for a month.

first time over 300 feedbacks with only one negative. I was buying a hard drive cooler. After a month and no responses to emails I go to leave negative feedback, they are no longer registered on ebay.

the 2nd times I was having a hard time finding a pair of work shoes so as a last resort I go to ebay buy from a seller that has over 500 feedback with 2 negatives from like 6 months ago. and the same thing happened as above.

Damn! I'd suggest anyone who hasn't yet start the chargeback process ASAP. You can do a PayPal chargeback first and always fall back on a CC chargeback if PayPal can't get your money. (Most CCs give you 90 days, but it wouldn't hurt to call and verify - and I've heard some aren't so good about granting chargebacks for PayPal transactions...) If you don't care about ruffling PayPal's feathers just go to your CC straight off.

If you paid with existing PayPal funds you are obviously at PayPal's mercy.

Here's my favorite of the negs he has so far:

"I THOUGHT U WAZ COOL U TOLD ME U WUD STEAL FROM WALMART FOR ME, LIAR FRAUD"

Dude should totally sue over his hired thief not coming through :)

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Jesus, it hasn't even been 10 days since the auctions. I think all those people are jumping the gun because of the dead contact info.[/QUOTE]

Well, I filed a PayPal non-receipt complaint when the fraud allegations first popped up on 3/24 just in case. He's got another 5 days to reply or for the game to show up at my house...

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Jesus, it hasn't even been 10 days since the auctions. I think all those people are jumping the gun because of the dead contact info.[/QUOTE]

He promised to mail out everything on Wednesday morning. Even if he sent them Media Mail, a lot of people should have received their games by now.

I still can't figure this out. Maybe he was planning to steal games from Walmart but got caught? This was his last e-mail to me, after he sent my refund on the 21st:

I have already sent it to you. i will siging off for a few hours but if you
resend the payment again it will go out wed around 9:00 in the am. If you want
a tracking # write me back wed afternoon and I will send it to you by thursday
morning. WEd thursday nd friday are pretty hetic around here. I only send
tracking #'s to those who ask although everything is tracke for my protection
it just takes so much time but i know you are concerned so just write me back
and request 1 me or my partner will send it to within 24 hours of your request.
also monday is the day 1 of us live in front of computer he list and i anwser
emails or visa versa tues we sort out new dvds and games and box sets and wed
thur fri we ship so we will not get back within 5 minutes but we will get back
with 24 hours with your tracking #. Hey i know what it is like i have been
ripped off before. I can tell you this retail prices do not really effect us.
Our supplier is someone who works in a Wal mart distribution center and I do not
know how h gets them and i do not care although i am pretty sure i have a
clue. just email us and request a tracking # and we will get it to you. ANd
if you still want to wait hey dude i understand that as well.

bread's done
Back