School me on PSP, $100 good?

Strife025

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Someone I know is selling his PSP-1001 for $100 since he never uses it. I was thinking of picking one up for a few rpg's that I'm missing out on only having a PS2 and PS3.

First off, is this a good price? He's more of an acquaintance then an actual friend so I could try and talk him down a few bucks.

Second, what's the benefit of the Fat PSP that everyone seems to want compared to this model. The current firmware on this one is 2.81. Will this allow me to mod it to play downloaded games?

I haven't really done much research into modding but if I buy a PSP I want one that is easily modded with the firmware. Thanks.

Honestly, take your $100, save up between $75 and 100 more and you can get a brand new PSP Slim with a full 1 year warranty, more features and if you get a bundle, a game, memory stick, and movie.

*EDIT 1: and no, $100 is not good for a used PSP original.
*EDIT 2: you best not be pirating games...buy them and rip them yourself, otherwise, don't talk about it.

There's only a few rpg's I'm interested in playing, wouldn't make sense for me to spend $100 more for some crap I don't want. Are the extra features on the slim worth the extra money?

If $100 is too much though I'll try to talk him down, it's in near perfect condition though, he's only played it a couple of times. It's not like I'm buying a used one on ebay from a random person.

I was wondering the same thing and besides the battery life, i'm leaning towards a used one. I won't ever connect it to the tv, have no use for skype, won't use it to watch movies and don't care about it being thinner.
But you have a link for the site that compares them?

Just be sure to mod the d-pad or buy a raised one from some online shop. All the original model's d-pads are set so low that it makes diagonals nearly impossible to perform causing some games to be unplayable.

Comparison of the Slim versus the Phat (old) from someone who has owned both.

PSP Slim

Pros:
-Lighter
-Slimmer
-More RAM
-Quicker load times
-MUCH better d-pad
-More features (Skype, future features too)

Cons:
-Doesn't feel as sturdy as the Phat-1000 (original)
-Some 1000 series accessories are incompatible with the new 2000 (Slim) series.

[quote name='62t']the slim also improves the loading time.[/QUOTE]

The phat was actually faster for me via pro duo. Same settings on both psp.

Since you don't care about the features of the psp slim I would still suggest it over the phat. Its lighter and won't strain your hands.

My hands dont cramp with the slim psp and the load times are noticeably faster. I agree that you should save up a few more bucks and buy a used/new slim.

Thanks,
you had me at "improves loading". I'm in no rush. Just like the puzzle games really. lol

I"m not a huge fan of the DS, too much damn drawing, although the wiener dog game is tempting. lol

One thing to keep in mind for those with a slim saying load times aren't improved...you made sure to enable the UMD Cache feature, right?

Can someone explain the improved D-Pad? Is it just raised more? The only reason I would ever buy a slim is for the ability to finally play Darkstalkers.

i would say dont go for it get a slim more features and better battery length

Currently Playing
:ps2: GH1 and 2
:psp: NBA live 06, GOW, GTAVC
:ds: Nintendogs, Mario cart
:wii:Bully, Super Mario Galaxy, SSBB
:ps3: Rockband, GH3, Warhawk

bread's done
Back