Schwartzenegger signs CA violent videogame bill into law. . .

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Come now, don't you think this news deserves more than just an update in an existing thread? Everyone's favorite macho action star-turned-politician has now signed this into law. This will definitely affect retail stores if not consumers, publishers and developers.[/QUOTE]

Maybe. This law won't pass constitutional scrutiny though once the ESRB brings suit. I do hate laws like this though that pander to a "hot issue" even though the politician knows full well it will get struck down. By the time that happens the elections will have passed...

[quote name='javeryh']This law won't pass constitutional scrutiny though once the ESRB brings suit.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, the ESRB lost a lot of credibility when public outrage over the "hot coffee" issue forced them to change GTA:SA's rating. I'm not sure too many politicians will care what the ESRB has to say now that it's become obvious they don't even know what content is included in games they've already rated.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']Unfortunately, the ESRB lost a lot of credibility when public outrage over the "hot coffee" issue forced them to change GTA:SA's rating. I'm not sure too many politicians will care what the ESRB has to say now that it's become obvious they don't even know what content is included in games they've already rated.[/QUOTE]

The ESRB's credibility has nothing to do with anything. Politicians have nothing to do with anything. The only thing that matters is whether the law is constitutional.

Honestly I can't say I care too much since I'm not under 18.... But all i'll say is it's typical scapegoating from bad parenting.

[quote name='chakan']You should care if you ever plan to sell a rated M game through eBay to California.[/QUOTE]

luckily I hardly ever sell games :D I only have traded them in before.

[quote name='javeryh']Maybe. This law won't pass constitutional scrutiny though once the ESRB brings suit. I do hate laws like this though that pander to a "hot issue" even though the politician knows full well it will get struck down. By the time that happens the elections will have passed...[/QUOTE]
It's the ESA that's suing for the law to be thrown out, which is what they've done for the law that passed in Illinois, as well.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's the ESA that's suing for the law to be thrown out, which is what they've done for the law that passed in Illinois, as well.[/QUOTE]

oops... either way, the law is going to be struck down.

bread's done
Back