Scorched Earth

chronodev

CAGiversary!
Anyone hear of / played Scorched Earth? (Shareware game from DOS era)

Game is extremely fun to play. Its like an Artillery turn based game. Very highly configurable You could change many of the physics options such as wind and gravity, and there were tons of weapons and other equipment you could buy for your tank.

I would play it with friends a lot, its very cool when playing against others. Like if one tank got hit it would explode in a random manner, sometimes taking others with it. I remember once I had a blast when I hit one of my friend's tank, it exploded hitting another tank, which then exploded into another tank...thus I wiped the whole map in one shot(including myself) ... Literally, a game that is a blast to play.

[quote name='chronodev']Anyone hear of / played Scorched Earth? (Shareware game from DOS era)

Game is extremely fun to play. Its like an Artillery turn based game. Very highly configurable You could change many of the physics options such as wind and gravity, and there were tons of weapons and other equipment you could buy for your tank.

I would play it with friends a lot, its very cool when playing against others. Like if one tank got hit it would explode in a random manner, sometimes taking others with it. I remember once I had a blast when I hit one of my friend's tank, it exploded hitting another tank, which then exploded into another tank...thus I wiped the whole map in one shot(including myself) ... Literally, a game that is a blast to play.[/QUOTE]
Oh, I remember, m'friend...I remember.

Many of hours in the high school computer lab were wasted on this one back in the day. Of course, we always set the money to $1M, we all got Energy Shields, and pretty much obliterated all the land with Death's Heads. That was just the first round.

*sigh*

Man has it been so very long since I played Scorched Earth, with the last time being when I was in high school 3 years ago. Such a great game and time waster in class.

I installed Scorched Earth on the school server in junior high (along with Wolfenstein 3D and Zeliard. 'Course that was when CAD still had a turtle... :lol:

[quote name='Pookymeister']i think i have a sealed copy of this.[/quote]

LOL. You are too young to remember this game, boy!

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Oh, I remember, m'friend...I remember.

Many of hours in the high school computer lab were wasted on this one back in the day. Of course, we always set the money to $1M, we all got Energy Shields, and pretty much obliterated all the land with Death's Heads. That was just the first round.

*sigh*[/quote]

Exact same thing, except it was in my microcomputer management class. All we did was play that game because the teacher was so boring. Isn't there a web based version out there?

i used to play this on my social study teacher's old pc when i was in 6th grade. We also had this at my friend's house when 33mhz cpu with a 2x CD-Rom drive were new. ah the memories.

Lazy Boy was mad cheese.

[quote name='integralsmatic']i used to play this on my social study teacher's old pc when i was in 6th grade. We also had this at my friend's house when 33mhz cpu with a 2x CD-Rom drive were new. ah the memories.

Lazy Boy was mad cheese.[/QUOTE]
Napalm was fun too just for the humiliation factor...and that one dude who always thought it was a great idea to take the magnetic shields. :lol:

We used to play the hell out of this in our computer lab in high school, many moons ago. My co-workers and I talk about it at work quite a bit. Thanks for the link. I'll have to give it another go.

One of my favorite games of all time, very much a precursor to games like Worms.

The high res version with the semi-realistic backgrounds was a treat back in the day.

Loved this game. My cousin's had it, but they lived 6 hours away (and we had a Mac) so the few times a year we saw them I was always sure to spend a few hours playing.

Checked out Scorched 3d a couple years ago, and didn't think it was as fun as the original.

lol how random I just quoted this game for one of my school discussions. I loved this game to death, even edited a few files back in the day for custom last words.

[quote name='Loonknight']lol how random I just quoted this game for one of my school discussions. I loved this game to death, even edited a few files back in the day for custom last words.[/quote]

Oh yeah, coming up with witty last words message was also very fun

Another funny thing was if your tank was badly damaged and you had no battery; your shot would then be so weak that it would end up hitting your own tank (lots of tank suicides that way)

i played this game on our 386 back when i was 10 years old. It was a BLAST to play against friends. Like another poster said, we'd always set the money to the most amount and buy EVERYTHING. death's heads and nukes and funky bombs being the best. lol, our 386 had trouble keeping up with all the explosions going on. good memories, good memories.

bread's done
Back