Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Blu/DVD Nov. 9, $25.99 Amazon, Steelbook for UK ~$29!

SDC

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Releases Nov. 9th
TONS OF INFO via SP Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=146425358732768&id=49491894003
Blu ray release: Blu ray copy, DVD copy, digital copy (for a limited time only?)
DVD release: DVD only, apparently
It looks like a lot of features are going to be blu-ray specific, including Scott Pilgrim vs. the Animation.
DVD list price is $30 according to best buy, Blu-ray/DVD two disc set list is $40

As nearly always, Amazon currently has the best deal:
(considering the list price of $40, I'd assume this is also a two-disc Blu/DVD)
$26.99 Now $25.99
http://www.amazon.com/Scott-Pilgrim...ef=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285020220&sr=1-3

DVD Only
$18.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Best Buy
Blu Ray two disc (w/ DVD) $29.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scott+Pilgrim+Vs+The+World+%282+Disc%29+%28W/Dvd%29+-+Widescreen+-+Blu-ray+Disc/1364902.p?id=2155349&skuId=1364902&st=scott%20pilgrim&lp=1&cp=1

DVD only: $19.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scott+P...5350&skuId=1364939&st=scott pilgrim&lp=2&cp=1

Hopefully the prices will go down a bit for release week. But I'm so hyped about this release I wanted to get the word out.

UPDATE
UK STEELBOOK AVAILABLE FOR IMPORT
One caveat: UK release is Dec. 27th, while the US release is Nov. 9th.

17.99GBP on Amazon.co.uk. Minus VAT it is 15.31 GBP, and adding back in shipping the final price is 18.39 GBP which converts to $29.27 US.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scott-Pilgr...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1286542242&sr=8-1

Now up at HMV.com as well, with a price of 17.99 GBP, roughly $28.67
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=696063
HMV

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='opterasis']BOth of those were miles ahead of Scott Pilgrim IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, going to have to agree with you there. SP was awesome, but it was not better than those 2 movies. Still, it deserved way better than it got. This will be a day 1 purchase for me.

[quote name='SDC']I think that his point was that all three of them are good, and not every moviegoer watches crap all the time. SP's bad marketing and stiff competition were bigger factors than the public never supporting good movies, hence referencing two really good and successful movies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point. SP is my favorite movie this year, but very, very close to Inception and Toy Story 3. I look at the bright side; at least I'll be able to enjoy in at home even sooner.

Grindhouse was one of my all-time favorite theater experience, but it had terrible marketing and was released on Easter weekend and, of course, it was a box office failure.

Inception feels hollow.
I'm sure that's the point since I'm convinced that everything we see in that movie is a dream of the main character dreaming up make-believe rules, etc, that all work within his dreams within the dream. That is, the rules all work because its his dream and we never see anything of the waking world except the girl that always helps get from Point A to Point B to C. She was strangely motivated to help him and seemed more interested in doing that than just about anything else in the entire story. Yet we see no emotional reason for her to do so. Of course, we have no idea how long the main character would have been asleep by that point if it really is all his dream, which means the girl might be his daughter grown up, trying to pull him out. Even at the end, she's still trying to get him to come out. Layered, like an onion, but I felt no emotion for it. No feeling. He loves his wife and its deep and passionate and insane, but ...it feels empty and dead. I never felt their romance. A movie built around the idea a man is despondent because his wife died should make me feel his pain, like Shutter Island did. Inception does not do this, does not get anywhere close to it, and since I JUST saw Leo do it in Shutter Island, I know he can. Which leads me to the conclusion the script is devoid of feeling. It makes you think and I like that, but I really wish I'd felt the resonance of this man's intense guilt, remorse, love, and suffering. But the movie was too busy being a heist to bother with that.

Unbelievably, I think a Cena-starring movie had more emotional resonance than Inception. He did a great job of playing the slacker (wow, go figure) become hero.
I really could see the transition in that movie. Its not a realistic movie, but there was genuine feeling there. You could see he was really coming to grips with loving this girl he did not know at all. It did a good job of showing us what love for him was like post-Envy, pre-Ramona. So you see all the differences between the girl that broke him, the girl that he trained to suit him, and then this wild, unknown girl who refuses to break him or be trained by him. Wild enough to buck his lame jokes and odd behavior, experienced enough to sense a kindred spirit in his wandering.

It didn't hurt the movie played out like a video game with levels, lackies, and bosses. Or, "Bread makes you fat!?" All imo.

I can't wait for this movie on blu-ray. I saw it in the theatre a couple of times just for the size of the video and the volume of the audio, so I'm looking forward to the natural BD improvements. Day 1 for me. Inception'll be one I'll wait for a sale on. Especially given WB's penchant for sales.

I like Scott Pilgrim but Amazon has spoiled me with all these $10 and under Blu-Ray sales. Will wait for a price drop.

[quote name='Tony208']a niche film isn't going to do so well
they should of known from the beginning[/QUOTE]

This. The overestimated the number of video game/comic book fans.

[quote name='blahtastic']How can it be Knives Chau considering that she's the summon in the game. Like every character can summon Knives to their aid...so who would Knives summon?[/QUOTE]

Dude, Knives is a Ninja. She could easily summon herself. If Roxie Ritcher can have up to four copies of herself on the screen at one time, I don't see why Knives can't do the same.

Anyway, I'll be buying this as soon as humanly possible. After ignoring this movie for a long time, I ended up seeing the movie twice in the span of 24 hours when I finally decided "Why the hell not?" Would have seen it a third time, but it ended up leaving the theater that exact day. Damn my luck.

not worth the price, don't care what movie it is. $30/$40 for a blu ray movie is a joke. wait for it to go on sale or something else. what they should do is include a voucher code to get the downloadable version of the game for xbox 360 or psn via a redemption code and going to a website to redeem and letting people choose their console of choice. that would help sales out a bit, just like Watchmen but they put the game on disc instead...d'oh

It's the Snakes on a Plane rule, just because a film may gain a niche cult following online or amongst hipsters does not mean it will translate into box office revenue. You can't market a film strictly towards an audience that's not inclined to even go to a theater and pay for a film in the first place.

[quote name='spmahn']It's the Snakes on a Plane rule, just because a film may gain a niche cult following online or amongst hipsters does not mean it will translate into box office revenue. You can't market a film strictly towards an audience that's not inclined to even go to a theater and pay for a film in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Uh, just out of curiosity have you seen this film? Or seen the advertising? It was marketed as a romantic comedy/action movie for teens/20somethings.

[quote name='SDC']Uh, just out of curiosity have you seen this film? Or seen the advertising? It was marketed as a romantic comedy/action movie for teens/20somethings.[/QUOTE]

Exactly- I was actually going to pass on it, but my brother insisted it was fantastic and I had to go... and he was coming becuase he wanted to see it again. So we went, and I drug along my fiance, who didn't want to see either but figured if my brother was so gung-ho about it, it could be OK. His sister came along just to kill time. His borther came to the mall, but opted to wander instead of coming to the movie.

Long story short, my fiance hadn't laughed that hard at a movie in years, and we're forcing his brother to see it at our first opportunity. And we would've missed it if we hadn't basically been made to go, being told it wasn't the generic rom-com it was billed as.

[quote name='SDC']Uh, just out of curiosity have you seen this film? Or seen the advertising? It was marketed as a romantic comedy/action movie for teens/20somethings.[/QUOTE]

trailer looked a lot like it was made for nerds by nerds

I absolutely loved this move, but even the amazon price is a tad too expensive for my blood. Hope there's a good deal on black friday.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']What's wrong with that?[/QUOTE]

Because they didn't market it enough to the casual audience.

[quote name='JP']Was going to signup to Play.com to order it and it doesn't look like they ship to the states.

Definitely would want that.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it won't be exclusive (it certainly doesn't mention it).
Amazon.co.uk has no trouble shipping to the states.

[quote name='SDC']http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=696063

Steelbook is now up on HMV.com listed at 17.99 GBP (not actually available to order yet, though), which xe.com currently translates to $28.67. Unlike play.com, HMV does ship to the US.
But I'm pretty sure it'll be up on Amazon.co.uk shortly, and that may be an even better deal.[/QUOTE]If it's available from HMV and Play, it'll be available from Amazon.co.uk, just a matter of time.

If we're looking at $27 for the US release and $29 for the UK steelbook release, then it might be worth looking into the steelbook. Issue is if it's BR / DVD combo for the steelbook then the DVD will be Region 2 and not usable on a Region 1 DVD player. That is also assuming it's not a Region B BR title, as well.

[quote name='shrike4242']If it's available from HMV and Play, it'll be available from Amazon.co.uk, just a matter of time.

If we're looking at $27 for the US release and $29 for the UK steelbook release, then it might be worth looking into the steelbook. Issue is if it's BR / DVD combo for the steelbook then the DVD will be Region 2 and not usable on a Region 1 DVD player. That is also assuming it's not a Region B BR title, as well.[/QUOTE]

Might you have any stats on how many BRs are region-locked? I often see Amazon UK deals posted on here, and nobody seems to have had a problem yet.
Here's hopin this one isn't. I'd absolutely pick up the Steelbook. Well, I'll probably still pick up the US release too, though.

I would honestly still buy the Steelbook even if it was unreadable in my device. Not a bad price and I'd have the awesome goodness of the SteelBook.

[quote name='SDC']Might you have any stats on how many BRs are region-locked? I often see Amazon UK deals posted on here, and nobody seems to have had a problem yet.
Here's hopin this one isn't. I'd absolutely pick up the Steelbook. Well, I'll probably still pick up the US release too, though.[/QUOTE]Here's one site with some stats:

http://regionfreemovies.com/bluray_region_coding

I'll just leave this here...

5038845356_5e4a6a9926_z.jpg

If you scroll up a little ways, I posted the link for that. I just didn't bother to do the image.

It's post #68 actually. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='boom!']so if it's region B, it wouldn't play on US blu-ray players?[/QUOTE]

That's my understanding, but with 80% of all Universal releases being region free it seems unlikely.

Went ahead and pre-ordered. Saw that it was available on Play and went to check Amazon.co.uk and there it was. SDC beat me to the post of course. It was weird though. It listed the price at £17.99 but when I went through checkout it was £15.31 and like £3 something in shipping. Still came out to around $29 at current rates, just odd though.

[quote name='JP']Went ahead and pre-ordered. Saw that it was available on Play and went to check Amazon.co.uk and there it was. SDC beat me to the post of course. It was weird though. It listed the price at £17.99 but when I went through checkout it was £15.31 and like £3 something in shipping. Still came out to around $29 at current rates, just odd though.[/QUOTE]

That's because of VAT (Value Added Tax). It is sort of like a sales tax in the US, but the cool part is twofold:
1. It is already included in the price of the product, so you pay what you see
2. If you are not a UK resident and you are taking the item out of the country, you can actually get the VAT charge refunded. Amazon.co.uk is nice enough to do this for us, once they know it is being shipped out of the country. I'm not sure if other UK-based sites are kind enough to do that, though.

This may be a dumb question but what's the deal with these stealbooks and the number of people that go ga-ga over them? I'm not judging or being a jerk by asking, I'm honestly just curious.

[quote name='adamthered']This may be a dumb question but what's the deal with these stealbooks and the number of people that go ga-ga over them? I'm not judging or being a jerk by asking, I'm honestly just curious.[/QUOTE]

Just a collector thing. Special packaging that generally has very nice artwork.

[quote name='SDC']Just a collector thing. Special packaging that generally has very nice artwork.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks for answering :)

That is really strange that the UK is getting released a month after the US release.

Didnt the movie get released in the UK before the US? Either way I will wait and just buy this Steelbook for the $3 more.

If its cheaper before XMas in the states then I will cancel this one.

Thanks OP

[quote name='joshnorm']That is really strange that the UK is getting released a month after the US release.

Didnt the movie get released in the UK before the US? Either way I will wait and just buy this Steelbook for the $3 more.

If its cheaper before XMas in the states then I will cancel this one.

Thanks OP[/QUOTE]

Actually, the movie got released in the UK about three weeks after it was put out here.

Well I will certainly be picking up this movie at some point, but I'll probably wait for a good sale price.

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']Actually, the movie got released in the UK about three weeks after it was put out here.[/QUOTE]

Oh okay then I was wrong. I know it was some bigger release that went UK first (Maybe Inception)

Put in an order for the Steelbook @ amazon.uk, I'll probably order a copy from normal ol' amazon to make up for the delay, then switch the dvd copies(in case the steelbook one is region blocked) and push the regular one off on a friend. :)

Just bought the Amazon steelbook...

Only a few dollars price difference between the bluray... I've got patience.

I've had a pre-order for the US-Blu since it was announced, but I'm hoping for some steelbook artwork confirmation soon so I can make a decision about which to actually purchase. If I go with the steelbook, this will be my first time importing.

From what I can tell, though, there's no difference in the content. Right?

Dropped in price to $25.99.

[quote name='bitzer']I've had a pre-order for the US-Blu since it was announced, but I'm hoping for some steelbook artwork confirmation soon so I can make a decision about which to actually purchase. If I go with the steelbook, this will be my first time importing.

From what I can tell, though, there's no difference in the content. Right?[/QUOTE]Anything that is on a DVD will be region locked to Region 2, so you won't be able to use it on a US DVD player. BR should be OK, unless they stick it to us and region lock it to Region B (UK).

bread's done
Back